[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take to make a defensive ice type competitively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

What would it take to make a defensive ice type competitively viable? I'm talking usable in OU at the very least.
-What secondary typing would give it the best defenses?
-Would it need a new, perhaps somewhat broken ability to allow it to bulk effectively?
-Could we design a signature move for it to improve it survivability?
-Would it be more effective as a physically defensive mon or a specially defensive mon? Or would a combination of the two make it the most viable?
>>
>Ice now resists Ground
Even just this would be huge. Add some other resistances like Flying and Water to make it even better.
>>
remove fairy, make ice immune to dragon
add water and ground resistance to ice
ice can no longer be burned but fire can no longer be frozen
>>
>>33502702
>hail now gives 50% buff to defense
>ice now resists ground and flying
done.
>>
>>33502702
Mega Avalugg
+100 Sp. Def
Unaware
>>
>>33502702
Ice/Poison with Levitate?
>>
>>33502789
>Remove fairy
Why?
>>
>>33502702
new ability: Mirror body

any special move is reflected
>>
>>33503096
NOW I AM THE CANCER-MON!
>>
Remind me again, what stall/defensive mons are in OU right now?
>>
>>33502977
Because I have autism.
>>
>>33503106
Chansey, Toxapex, Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, Mega Sableye, uh, Jackie Chan
>>
>>33502977
Fairy is way too powerful atm. It's better then Flying and Psychic for special attacking, and is SE against Dark, Dragon, Fighting. It resists a variety of popular move types, and is immune to dragon.
>>
>>33503134
and?
>>
>>33502977
Because it killed the Ice type's only damn use in any of the games.
>>
>>33503147
Since nerfing Fairy or buffing the other types is impossible, the only solution to Fairy overcentralizing the meta is removing Fairy.
>>
>>33503147
What do you mean, "and"? I've said why Fairy is way too powerful, and they either need to nerf it, remove it, or let the Tapus, Mimikyu and Clefairy be everywhere?
>>
>>33502977
because fairy existing makes ice obsolete as the dragon counter
if you want to keep fairies, your only option would be to make ice effective against/resistant to it
>>
>>33502702
All Avalugg needs is the Filter ability and it will a decent wall. For other defensive Ice-types you're gonna have to give them abilities that nullify a few weaknesses like giving Regice Heatproof.
>>
>>33503148
This.
>waaah dragon is full of overpowered monsters
>how do we balance this? I think we need a dragon killer type...
>ice? What's that?
>>
Reverse battle
>>
>>33502977
Because it wasn't a necessary introduction in the first place.
>>
File: Untitled.png (123KB, 1096x631px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
123KB, 1096x631px
>>
>>33503172
Even worse, is that now in Gen 7 nobody uses Dragons because of their type. They use them because they've got 600 in BST. The only good Dragon STAB moves both screw you over. Outrage traps you, letting them pull a fairy type out and go to town, leaving you confused if you survive, and Draco Meteor ruins your special attack.
>>
>>33503148
Well... to be fair... no one was using ice types before fairies anyways.

It was always a water type with an ice type move on everyone's team because ice type have shit defenses.
>>
>>33502702
200HP, 200DEF, 200S.DEF
>>
>>33503205
True.
But at that point all that would have needed to be done is make better ice types and limit ice type moves to them.
Now, nothing can be done to save them bar giving them OP abilities that reduce all damage to nothing.
>>
>>33503100
wha's wrong? you can use physical moves
>>
>>33503205
>to be fair
they could have just buffed ice type
>>
>>33503201
I can't believe I'm saying this but Dragon is honestly not that great a typing.
>>
>>33503114
>forgetting Skarmory, Zapdos, Mega Venusaur, Celesteela, Tapu Fini, Clefable, and Heatran
>>
File: F.jpg (12KB, 249x203px)
F.jpg
12KB, 249x203px
>>33503096
>top lel is walled
>volcorona is walled
>top kek is walled
>job frog is walled
>lando unaffected
smogon will not care about it
>>
>>33503225
95/184
>>33502702
Make Ice resist Ground and Flying. Still a mediocre defensive type, but it now resists two of the most busted offensive types in the game, and can actually provide something when paired with another type defensively.
>>
>>33503237
offensively its garbage, its not even worth using for stab half the time on mons with decent secondary typings and the moves to use with it. Salamence and dragonite get fucked over because they don't get decent flying stab
>>
>>33503096
>completely shuts down any Special attacker not named Mega Ampharos
>deals Super-Effective STAB damage to any Special attacker named Mega Ampharos
Furthermore, if the reflected damage is doubled like Mirror Coat, you can get a free kill just by switching it into most Special attacks.
This Ability would get banned to AG.
>>
>>33503239
>forgetting fucking Lando-t
>>
>>33503239
Venusaur is only a big deal because of top kek
>>
>Ice/Fire
>Slowbro stats or something similar?
>Magic Guard to fuck off sneaky pebbles
>Decent balk like CM or some kind of barrier like Reflect/Light Screen.
It's really hard to think of a OU viable Icemon that isn't just Weavile/Kyurem-B EX I tried
>>
>>33502702
Nerf water
>>
>>33503205
They were sort of used in gen 3. Gen 4's power creep was what broke their back, though.
>>
>>33503175
False
>>33503134
It needs a nerf
>>
>isnt weak to rock
>resists ground and water
Avalugg instantly rises at least 3 tiers
bonus:
>hail doesn't affect steel and water types, boosts ice type defense by 1.5x
>give slush rush to crabominable
>>
>>33502977
Fairy is a fundamentally broken type that did calm down a broken type but only by replacing it and would be arguably worse if not for the fact that the type lacks and Outrage move. Either way its the undisputed best type right now.
>>
>>33503725
steel exists
>>
>>33503725
Just make it weak to bug, there solved
>>
>>33502702
give articuno magic guard and swap its spa/spd and itd be usable
other than that good fucking luck trying to find a bulky ice type that doesnt get the shaft on movepool, stat spread and typing simultaneously
>>
>>33503725
Steel is, not fairy.
>>
>>33503175
Dark and Steel weren't necessary either. Introducing any new types beyond the original 15 wasn't necessary, neither are half the gimmicks and mechanics in each new game. It's just something interesting because Pokemon is a long-running franchise and introducing new additions to long standing lineups is what you do with these sorts of IPs.

Now quit bitching, Dragonfag
>>
>>33503786
This, dragonfags are cancer
>>
>>33503735
Defensively yes but fairy is still the best offensive type.
>>33503737
I am some what interested in that idea.
>>
>>33503735
Lol fairy is not anywhere close to the best offensive type in the game. What makes it so good is how good it is defensively while still being decent offensively.
>>
>>33503922
Meant to reply to >>33503897
>>
>>33503897
>fairy is still the best offensive type.
Tell that to Tapu "doesnt carry fairy stab 70% of the time" Koko
>>
File: Rebalanced Type Chart.png (72KB, 752x829px) Image search: [Google]
Rebalanced Type Chart.png
72KB, 752x829px
>>
>>33503786
Dark and Steel were added to nerf the overpowerd Psychic type from Gen 1
>>
>>33503786
>Dark and Steel added because Psychic is fucking nuts, way more so than Dragon was in gen 5
>Fairy added to nerf Dragons, except that there already existed a type whose purpose was to kill dragons and could've really used some adjustments anyway
>>
>>33503897
ghost is the best offensive type
>>
>>33504126
Only when used by actual ghost types. It's a subpar coverage type because it doesn't hit very many types effectively.
>>
>>33504126
Ghost lacks high-powered moves. I'd rate Flying and Ground higher.
>>
Ice/Electric, abilities are Magic Guard, Regenerator and Snow Warning, gets an evo so it can use Eviolite, stats are 100/50/100/105/105/55, learns Aurora Veil, Freeze Dry, Recover, and Earth Power. Basically make something that would be broken if it wasn't part Ice.
>>
>ice is now se on water and resists water, resist's dragon and ground, hail gives defense boost to ice types
>fairy and ghost no longer resists bug, bug is se vs fairy
>rock resists electric, is neutral against/when attacked by ground, is neutral when attacked by steel
>Electric is se against steel
>Grass resists fairy

Does this fix everything?
>>
>>33504269
no
>>
>>33503942
And Tapu "doesn't have any fairy stab" Bulu
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.