[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the FUCK doesn't Pokemon have any competitors in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: REEEEE.jpg (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEE.jpg
3KB, 225x225px
Why the FUCK doesn't Pokemon have any competitors in the video game department?

>hurr durr Digimon
It fucking died because it wasn't a proper video game from the start

>hurr durr Yokai Watch
It's also fucking DEAD because its battle system is SHIT so they jumped the shark early

Is it so fucking hard to make another turn-based RPG monster catching game with cool monster designs? Jesus Christ, just take the Pokemon formula, tweak it and make your own game, it's not HARD. The fact that Gamefreak has literally NO competitors that last for more than 3 years makes them lazy and incapable of producing a half-decent Pokemon game anymore.

Yes, I'm fucking mad.
>>
>>33489335
Maybe the fact that other games in the genre aren't as successful suggest that it's a bit harder than you think.
>>
because it's one of the most iconic video games of all time, and it's been around for so long that nothing's ever gonna dethrone it
>>
PokeMania secured GameFreak a position that will NEVER be usurped worldwide, not now, not ever.
The only thing that could come close to a serious threat is if Square Enix suddenly decided they needed to make DQM a Yearly or Bi-Yearly thing, but that'd only affect Japan.
>>
>>33489335
This.
>>33489415
It's really not, you just need good designs, and you need to not be a literal fucking idiot.
>>
>>33489335
Because the only people who know the formula well enough are autists for Pokemon and put all their effort into making romhacks and fangames instead of making it something of their own creation
>>
>>33489335
Digimon still releases video games quite frequently, but they aren't, and never have been, very similar to Pokemon.
>>
>>33489335
dumb frogposter
>>
>>33489425
But square could just make a KH spinoff about catching heartless/nobodies/unversed/spirits.
>>
you'd have to double down on the furry pandering hard as fuck to even have a chance of being able to compete
>>
>>33489424
>>33489425
Nobody's talking about dethroning Pokemon. Give it healthy competition. The games have been fucking SHIT for years now.
>>
>>33489439
Since gen 6.
>>
>>33489444
Gen 6 started 4 years ago.
>>
>>33489335
Why are you mad? Digimon for example still releases games if you want to try different franchises. It sure as hell isn't as popular as pokémon but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>33489448
Which is more than a few years, but I fail to see why you replied?
>>
>>33489454
I'm not mad because I want another monster catching game to play. I'm mad because Gamefreak doesn't realize Pokemon's potential due to having no competition and playing it safe all the time.
>>
Digimon games? Lmao. Fucking trash. No one knows a shit about them.
>>
More competition = gamefreak actually tries their best. Not hard
>>
>>33489439
They haven't been shit, they've been mildly disappointing. If you need a reminder of their overall quality, go try some of the other games in the genre.
>>
>>33489463
The reason for that is fanboys with unquestionable brand loyalty literally eating anything they shit out up.
As stated other alternatives so it isn't a case of people being forced to buy Pokémon if they want a monster catching experience. Fanboys will buy GF's games no matter how halfassed or shit they becomee as long as they're marketed as Pokémon core games.
>>
>>33489525
*other alternatives exist, fuck me
>>
>>33489535
>other alternatives exist
>fuck me

Choose one.
>>
>>33489525
>>33489535
What alternatives? This isn't sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious. I like the monster catching genre as a whole, it just feels very limited.
>>
>>33489463
lets see if monster hunter stories can be sucessful in the west. being able to control camera angles and skipping cut scenes. should be a norm in pokemon
>>
>>33489609
SMT and Digimon are the ones I'm most familiar with. There are also big names that have monster catching spin-offs but I'm not sure if they're actual games or just shovelware. Like the new Monster Hunter Stories, or World of Final Fantasy.
>>
>>33489692
I've played Digimon and Monster Hunter Stories, they just don't quite scratch the same itch as Pokemon. Thanks anyways, Anon!
>>
>>33489609
The "fight and catch monsters to have them fight for you in a complex turn based battle system with a simple JRPG structure" genre is a very shallow one, because it has a much higher entry threshold *now* than it did during the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance eras. Expectations of 3d models and high-res graphics make the entry point much higher for a developer. Because of Pokemon's market saturation, and the mishandling of the Digimon (and other similar games) brand, you had an initial rush of imitators with novel spins (monsters are computer programs, monsters are RC robot toys, monsters are real world dinosaurs) which has resulted in lots of potential space that could be explored being held as copyrighted material for a defunct or nearly dead company.
>>
>>33489335
Hmm. I'd play a Megaman BN game where you collect viruses. That was a fun sidequest you did in 6.

But anyway, I'm sure it's doable. The one thing that I believe Pokemon doesn't cash in on enough is split-evos. Make a game where split evolutions are distinctly different, but not so much that it's similar to Digimon-tier (Especially in all the fucking recolors that series has). Make the player think, "Alright, these two are obviously in the same monster-family, but circumstances have caused them to turn out differently." What those circumstances are, whether they be stats, items held, friendship level, regardless of what they are.

Extend the level of customization BEYOND the creatures on your team, and into how they develop and mature.
>>
>>33489335
If you've been paying attention, Nintendo's the type to not give a single fuck about competition. They'd rely on the name "Pokemon" alone to win, and sadly enough, they probably would.
>>
>>33489755
It would definitely scratch the itch of those wanting to play a game with Monsters that evolve from low-friendship.
>>
>>33489755
Neat idea, but it wouldn't work. The reason Pokemon is so popular and maintains the grip on this kind of genre, is because of how simple it is. Also because it's been around for so long.
>>
Look at what we got during the time Yokai Watch was popular. Is that what you want?
>>
ARK survival evolved let's you catch & train & ride dinosaurs, which join you in battle.

Slime Rancher has dozens of slimes, of various natures, and behaviors, and catching & raising & cross breeding them is all kinds of fun.
>>
>>33489776
Exactly. If YW had any affect on Pokémon at all, it resulted in making the games even more visualized.
>>
>>33489783
ARK takes forever to tame anything though.
Slime Rancher's pretty comfy.
I still really want a JRPG that scratches that Pokemon itch though
>>
>>33489765
See, I disagree. Yokai Watch, while by no means a Pokemon killer like some said, still gained a sizeable following and made its way over to the states. I'm sure the market is there, just offer what Pokemon does, and more importantly, what it doesn't, without it becoming too complex for the age demographic.
>>
>>33489525
Exactly why we all need to just stop buying their games. When I realized they sold me a pile of shit three times in a row, I drew the line.
>>
>>33489804
The problem with YW was it was way too "Japanese" (even more than Pokémon). It was never going to have more than a niche market. Another property with a similar concept and marketing push but less specific to Japanese taste and culture could potentially make a dent in Pokemon's share.
>>
File: hare.png (581KB, 708x531px) Image search: [Google]
hare.png
581KB, 708x531px
Is MR still relevant, or still being made for that matter, it ended up coming to mind while posting in a fetish thread
>>33489692
>SMT
fucking this
>>
>>33489481
Yeah like happened with yw
>>
>>33489739
You're forgetting the mobile market. Which actually has a huge monster catching game market, and not that high an entry point. Shame mobile gaming in general is shit though.
>>
>>33489851
>I'm not the only person who remembers Monster Rancher

HO LEE FUCK
Please tell me you also remember this weird as fuck game growing up
>>
>>33489335
Here in Japan we have "Dragon Quest Monsters" which is fairly similar. They've also experimented a bit with card-deck style games based around the same Dragon Quest universe, but it never worked as well as the breeding and hybridization play that happens in the Monsters game.

But there are many Pokemon games and only a few Monsters games. I think it is just much harder to work out the breeding and hybrid systems for each game than people might expect -- unless you want to accidentally wind up with broken emergent systems (which would kill a game here very quickly).

Anyway, there is a very good competitor to Pokemon in games, it is just not a frequent release item.
>>
File: CpgdxwsUsAELmVk.jpg (43KB, 440x600px) Image search: [Google]
CpgdxwsUsAELmVk.jpg
43KB, 440x600px
Here's your Pokemon killer if they cared about the license anymore
>>
>>33489930
Never played the game, but the anime aired on Saturday mornings and I watched it occasionally. It was utterly baffling.
>>
Because pokemon is cute, i find another monster franchises ugly and fanservice unnecessary
>>
>>33489933
>someone remembers DQM

nice man

I remember beating the Joker game with an S rank and 2 shit A ranks, was fun
>>
>>33489939
I remember the anime very well, but were the games actually good?
>>
>>33489958
No, they were shit fighting games.

Which just makes it have the more potential if a monster, err, robot-collecting game was never tried.
>>
>>33489444
>>33489448
XY were the best games of the series
>>
>>33489970
>t. genwunner who only appreciates the games when they pander to him specifically
>>
>>33489930
I only have experience with MRBC:EP2, and I wasn't even aware that Battle Card was a spinoff for the longest time
the main reason I even remember MR is because the fucking animation for Gas ended up giving me and I never realized it until maybe five or six years ago. It also happened to be in one of the /trash/ fart threads where I found out that the fart attack was censored in the US versions of the main series games. when I brought it up, I was confused as fuck by this until I looked into it further and found out that BC was a spinoff, and Gas got by unchanged somehow
>>33489941
did the dub have the fucking fart scene that I saw on google images when I was trying to find a video of the BC:EP2 animation for Gas for a "fetishes in videogames" thread
>>
>>33489970
And best ashnime season
>>
>>33489933
Nice insight.
Do you think that after yw the chances for a true competitor are fewer?
I believe a true "rivale" has necessarily to be japanese.
Sorry for the typos
>>
>>33489979
If I was a genwunner who only liked pandering my favourite would be Sun and Moon. XY has the best regional dex, the best online features, a good story and the second best aesthetics (after HGSS).
>>
>>33489930
>Left Attack
>Right Attack
>Horn
Yeah I played that shit.
>>
Why don't we get a Pokemon game that expands on your relationship with your mons?

Amie is a start but it's too shallow. The Pokemon all feel the same, none of them feel like they have a unique personality regardless of what the natures may say.
>>
>>33490077
I don't think that will happen unless pokémon decides to go full /virtualpet/
>>
File: 3DS.png (146KB, 400x650px) Image search: [Google]
3DS.png
146KB, 400x650px
>>33489335

Other games exist. Just because they're not anywhere near as popular as Pokémon globally doesn't mean they're not there.

Nothing is usurping Pokémon from its perch though. It's literally the biggest handheld franchise in the world, and Nintendo's second-biggest IP. You look at software sales on the 3DS (pic related), and three of the top four games are Pokémon.
>>
>>33490077
Imagine a different animation for each nature on every Pokemon after you pet, feed or anger/sadden them.
How many animations would that be?
>>
>>33490109
fuck that, damaging variant of poison gas when?
>>
>>33490109
They don't need to add it right in the next game. Just keep working on it till you're ready to implement it.
>>
Give me an idea for a game that competes with pokemon and I will create it
>>
>>33490202
larper but
>game based on robots
>each robot has types and specific evolutions, similar to pokemon
>add breeding system from DQM (just spin it as "combining parts to make a better robot" or some shit)
>make the story not hold your hand every 30 mins
>>
>>33490247
What makes it different enough from pokemon that people won't just say "I'd rather just play pokemon"
>>
>>33490255
idk larpbro i just came up with this idea in 5 minutes
>>
>>33490247
>robots
I'm not a gynoidfucker
>>
>>33490247
>game based on robots
You already fucked up there man. Limiting what kind of monsters you can create to such an extent will surely decrease the amount of people that will be interested in your game.
Any game with "pokémon but the monsters are [...]" isn't necessary doomed to fail, but they are doomed to live in pokémon's shadow.
>>
>>33489335
The same reason no one can make a better "Smash Clone"
No one can perfect the formula and no one can obtain the appeal that it gets. And yes it is so fucking hard to make an RPG like that what with Pokemon's long lasting legacy.
>>
>>33490202
>Essentially Navi's from Megaman BN
>Personal Emblem that you can intricately design
>Armor Pieces that drop from enemy Navi's/ Viruses that increase/decrease various stats
>Extreme customization on color/designs on the armor pieces ala Animal Crossing
>Max of 3-5 active Navis at a time
>Grind not only for Armor pieces, but the bits of data needed to make another navi
>>
>>33489428
Please make one. I think it's too hard, but clearly you don't.
>>
>>33489335
>>33489431
>>33489469
>>33489719
>>33489739

You guys shit on Pokemon a lot, but this is 4chan so whatever.

The reason Pokemon has retained popularity (not as much as it started with) is because it has always addressed its flaws (eventually) and released their main series semi-consistently.

Digimon World did not, and still has not worked on the problems that it had since the first one. The battle system is def more unique than Pokemons, but they need to rework it so that it's not just a retarded game of red light , green light. And that's only scratching the surface. Their reincarnation system, while cool, sucks dick.
>>
>>33490672
I didn't shit on Pokemon whatsoever, anon. I don't know why you tagged me.
>>
>>33490694
I just tagged the people who talked about Digimon desu.
>>
>>33490672
Why even play Pokémon World games if you don't like the reincarnation system? You got the the Digimon Story games which are much closer to a standard monster catching experience if that's what you want.
>>
>>33490757
>Pokémon World
What the fuck brain? I meant Digimon World games
>>
>>33490757
I don't dislike the reincarnation system. In my last reply, I simply said that Pokemon goes above and beyond to mitigate the problems with their systems. Perfect example: I hated the way IVs worked (by your logic, you'd ask me why I played if I hated IVs which is fucking stupid) but then GF fixed in mostly in gen 6 with the destiny knot mechanic.

Digimon's reincarnation system would work really well if there wasn't a progressing story. Gameplay wise, it completely disrupts the flow. If it were like animal crossing, where you're just helping digimon out and building stuff and fighting is a side gimmick, then it would work extremely well imo. But it doesn't and they haven't realized that yet as far as I know.

>Digimon Story
Proves my point. Digimon Story is nice and all, but I'd rather them fix the problems with their most unique (and first if you don't count the tamagotchis) system. It's just worse Pokemon with a slightly better story in order to fit into the handheld market...to ultimately compete with a better game.

idk I want Digimon to succeed and I see a lot of potential in it. I just don't want them to try to do it by going to turn based Pokemon territory because they wont ever do it better.
>>
>>33489979
as a bit of a genwunner that has yet to play x/y, are they really like that?
I can accept that the newer games in the series have their own things going on, they've just felt too different for me on too many things, a lot less like an rpg, a lot more meaningless grinding needed, is x/y really any different?
>>
>>33490850
That's kind of how the first Digimon World game was though, the story wasn't really a thing until you entered Mount Infinity.
I was under the impression that you disliked it since you posted "The reincarnation system [...] sucks dick" but if what you're now saying is that a prominent linear story isn't needed or shouldn't be in Digimon World games then I kind of agree.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.