[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Max Repel in Gen3 >Repels weaker pokemon for 250 steps Max

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1457520298170.jpg (27KB, 460x220px) Image search: [Google]
1457520298170.jpg
27KB, 460x220px
Max Repel in Gen3
>Repels weaker pokemon for 250 steps

Max Repel in Gen7
>Repels weaker pokemon longer than Super Repel

This is one example of something that drives me fucking insane about this series. Everything is becoming more nondescript or actively avoiding being concise; most of the information provided by the game about inventory of pokemon stats is intentionally vague.

For example, IVs were more or less a secret prior to gen3, when the game introduced items allowing players to manipulate them. Even then, this process was like underground information and required 3rd party tools to properly utilize the in game system for transferring IVs. This has been true of EVs as well.

Then we reach gen6, and gamefreak decides that they're going to be more upfront about IVs and EVs with super training. Yet, and fucking yet, the information provided for EV values is a nondescript bar that fills up, and a shitty low res graph that doesn't at all allow the player to rely on the game for information about their pokemon EV stats. They expand access to perfect IVs for their tedious IV transfer system. Yet, and fucking yet, it's impossible, in gen6, to know any exact IV value that isn't 1 or 31 because the in game system for finding this information is an NPC. Even then, the NPC doesn't tell you your IV value; the NPC gives you a phrase that equates to a number. Once again, the game does not allow the player to rely on it for this information. Meanwhile, gamefreak will also promote a move like Hidden Power, which is heavily dependent on IV values, despite not providing necessary information to the player through the game itself. It's fucking bizarre.
>>
Now, in gen7, they once again take a step towards refining the IV system. Except not at all. Once again, the information provided by the game for IV values isn't actually a value. It's a word which equates to a range of values; and, once again, the only values that can be confirmed by this system are 1 and 31.

Why can't the game be more specific or explicit with this information? Why aren't EVs and IVs displayed as number values on a pokemon? What is the point of keeping everything vague?

This is why everyone should be using save editors to inject pokemon into their game; because gamefreak is an inept, shitty company that couldn't design its way out of a paper bag.

>it's designed for kids

Fine, but that doesn't explain it away. Most kids playing this game haven't found all of the Z crystals. Most of the kids playing this game didn't find all the Zygarde bits. Most kids playing this game beat the elite four and said "all done". None of this extra information needs to exist until after the base game is completed. It should be accessible to anyone interested in building an endgame around raising pokemon.

I only played this gen because I got the game as a gift. I expected more of this tedious, vague nonsense to infect the broader game. I'm not hopeful for US/UM. I won't be hopeful for gen8 either. I can't understand what gamefreak is trying to accomplish by withholding information while also expecting players to try an capitalize on that withheld information.
>>
>>33484736
They don't want you to realise that it's cheaper to buy Super Repel than Max Repel
>>
>>33484736
>>Repels weaker pokemon longer than Super Repel

I don't know if you've noticed but SM is not tile-based like the previous games where 1 tile = 1 step. You don't have way to measure space in any unit in game, so there's so reliable way to tell you exactly when you repel will run out, as a step now depends on how fast you move. I agree on it being vague, but besides making repel effective for a period of time instead of a traveled distance, I don't think they could have made the description better in any way.
>>
>>33484812
That's not how a game map of 3D space operates. It's still grid based, but the grid is much more sophisticated.

Seeing as the Repel items aren't time based, and the duration only decreases as step are taken, then it's still step based. I don't know if you've noticed, but you still take steps in S/M.
>>
>>33484871
>That's not how a game map of 3D space operates

Might as well be, but my point was that in this game, 1 unit of space != 1 step, and that steps aren't measurable since the step size depends on your walk speed. Not every element is positioned at a floating point value that correspond to any reasonably big unit that could be a meter. For exemple the in game average sized pokemon battle models are as big as some roads in the overworld. The granularity of floating points values is really fucking small it makes no sense to think of it as a grid instead of a space.

Do you want the game to tell you "You can travel 250m with one max repel" without any indication of what is 1m? That's why it's vague..

>then it's still step based.
How do you know it's not distance-based?

>I don't know if you've noticed, but you still take steps in S/M.
I don't know if you've noticed, but the step size depends on the speed you're moving at, making it non-reliant as a way to measure the effective distance you can travel.
>>
>>33484921
Let's just clear up a bit of redundancies and irrelevancies.

Steps = distance. If you take a step, you've moved a set distance. It's the same parameter when being used as a measurement.

Running vs walking with a repel up has been around since gen3. Running is more steps per second. That's the only significant difference in relation to the repel item.

The item is still step based.
>>
>>33484964
Go play SM.
Flick the stick three times in a direction.
How many steps have you taken?
>>
Before the change, super repels were more cost-efficient than max repels, so there was no reason to buy max repels
>>
>>33485009
His point is that GF uses steps as a unit of distance, not the literal steps you take.
When we had grid based movement a step was always 1 tile and easy to tell when you went that far because you traveled 1 tile at a time. In gen 7 with no grid movement it's basically impossible for a player to determine how many of those distance units you travel
>>
>>33484736
Don't forget how the dex entries have become shorter over time.
>>
>>33485737
No they haven't
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.