[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>almost 11 years since these came out How do you guys feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: diamondpearl.jpg (23KB, 400x180px) Image search: [Google]
diamondpearl.jpg
23KB, 400x180px
>almost 11 years since these came out
How do you guys feel about gen 4 now? I liked it a lot. Somehow I feel more nostalgia for these than the gen 3 games (even though I played gen 3 first)
>>
Platinum is the best Pokemon game.
HGSS were insanely good remakes.

Gen 4 is the peak of the series and Gamefreak as a studio.
>>
Never cared much for gen 3 and 4 (other than HG/SS).

Still feel that way.
>>
Still the only generation I don't like
>>
Gen 4 and 3 were steps back. Gen 5 almost got us back to where Gen 2 was going.
Gen 6 and 7 were steps back.
Gen 8 is either going to be amazing or prove to the world GF has no idea what to do with better hardware.
>>
Gen 4 and 5 are my favorite generations. I used to dislike 3 but now I think it's good. 6 and 7 are disappointing.
>>
one of my least enjoyabld gens. the slowness. really killed it for me. i prefer gen 5 as ds games
>>
File: bait.jpg (820KB, 1015x1067px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
820KB, 1015x1067px
>>33405969
>>
Diamond and pearl are my least favorite. Not saying I dislike then, but on a favorite to least it's last.
>>
>>33405941
The world in DP is great. The roster and story are absolute trash except for a few exceptions.
>>
>>33405982
After 4, I got the tendency to skip a generation.
>5 had shit tier graphics, and I didn't like what I saw of the new Pokemon, so I skipped it
>enjoyed 6
>didn't feel like playing Sun and Moon
>>
>>33406044
Story doesn't matter. When you out story over world you get Sun/Moon.
>>
>>33406061
5 did have shitty graphics, par for the course for the series, but I liked the new Pokemon

And I don't blame you for skipping SM, wish I did too
>>
>>33405941
I liked it more when I first played them than I do now. For some reason I just can't stand the games anymore, it's like I developed ADHD or something over the years. I actually think I've reverted to only liking gens 1-3.
>>
Played it when it DP came out. Was fine, slow, but I didn't finish it -- graduated high school a month later so that was more the focus. Replayed Sinnoh through Platinum last year and loved it. Sinnoh is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>33405941
Diamond and Platinum are the games that I have replayed the most times out of any pokemon game ever (doing different self-imposed challenge runs with a friend), and yet they're also the games I most want to see remade.
I really liked Sinnoh (Platinum as a game most of all), but I'm worried that they will end up remaking DP without adding relevant Pt stuff there either, which is gonna suck.
Still feeling pretty hyped at the prospect of Sinnoh remakes though
>>
Hated them when they were released because their slowness and because Pokemon not being a thing anymore in my country.
Played Platinum years later and I found it amazing, also they have aged like wine.
>>
>>33405941
gen IV was great, especially Platinum. There is so much replayability, since the regional dex is big.
>>
>>33405941
Probably my favorite games.
>>
Sinnoh is probably the region I feel the least strongly about. DP was pretty cool when it was new, but that's it. Platinum I was disappointed by because advertising made it sound like way more would change than it did, like the whole region would get a winter makeover and the Distortion World would be a Light/Dark World type thing, but it didn't and wasn't, so it's soured a little bit for me. Plus I don't really care for most of the new designs.

They aren't bad but there's not really anything I feel strongly about. Even XY shows signs that a Z could've made it something really special, and that gets me fired up thinking about it. Sinnoh's just a thing that is.
>>
>>33405941
Hate the designs love the region and post game.
>>
I'm playing platinum for the first time on emulator and loving it. I've read about how inferior Diamond and Pearl are, but since Platinum and HGSS cartridges are expensive I'm thinking of buying either anyway.
Gen 4 also have the Explorers Mystery Dungeon games, therefore it's the best generation.
>>
>>33406116
*when you do story wrong
You can make story in a game (even a Pokémon game) good, - even a really "intrusive" story - but Gamefreak just forgot how. Gen V was pretty good about it (even if it was a bit intrusive, once you got a little ways into either it really felt substantial both with and without it.)
>>
I actually recently replayed Platinum for Defog Griatina and Heal Block Palkia. The games are so slow I had to cheat by using traded Pokemon.

Now to wait until I can be arsed to clear out Hg so I can restart it for friend ball Rayquaza.
>>
>>33408669
Gen V's story was shit though. It didn't even make sense from an in-universe perspective, much less an outside one. At least the game tried to have an interesting villain. Lusamine's potential as a crazy lady was cut off because muh toxins and Lillie pretty much does fuck-all.
>>
>>33406136
>but I liked the new Pokemon
>but
>i
>liked
>the
>new
>pokemons
>>
>>33408711
Meh, I think the premise and execution of gen V's story was really well done, even if the substance was half-baked. The premise of "Guys, to Pokémon even want to be with us? We're kind of imprisoning them..." becoming "This is a ploy to give myself no competition." is fine, and they executed it well by subverting the standard gameplay stereotypes and making N the "protagonist" who catches the legendary in Dragonspiral Tower, and then having the game completely throw itself upside down by making you fight N as the champ with a Legendary, and THEN fighting Ghetsis in a genuinely difficult final battle, that and all the other major points were done well imo.

It's just that if you dive a little deeper - as it compels you to do - that it kind of falls apart.
>>
>>33405941
Gen 4 is the least notable gen. I can't think of anything to say about it that it did better than Gen 3, but I can't think of anything bad to say about it either, besides minor nitpicks of course.

It's easily the gen that I think the least about, yet it's also the one I've spent the most time playing.
>>
>>33405941
I like all the gens, honestly. There has not been a single main series Pokemon game I didn't enjoy playing through.
>>
File: ohh.png (233KB, 612x607px) Image search: [Google]
ohh.png
233KB, 612x607px
>>33405950
>ywn live through Platinum, HGSS, BW and BW2 ever again
Emerald may be my fave, but Platinum to Gen V was the best time to be a Pokemon fan
>>
>>33405941
I still hate it
>>
Single player was at its height with an array of side-quests and features. Multi-player exploded thanks to with the introduction of Wi-Fi, and the Physical/Special split perfected the core game.

If it had Gen V's online and smoother processing speed, it would've been flawless.
>>
>>33408801
It did very little storywise and didn't add many new pokemon but really overhauled things for the competitive scene and introduced a lot of high-tier evolutions for old pokemon, a lot of moves that would be of questionable use in singleplayer but vital competitively, introduced the special-physical split, and brought in many items that are fondly remembered today.

It was indeed the smogon generation
>>
>>33405941
Almost a straight downgrade from gen 3 but still my second favorite generation overall (remakes included). Not really holding my breath for the remakes after the complete trainwreck that was ORAS.
>>
>>33405992
what fucking slowness, you buffoon?
Gen 5 is actually much slower than Gen 4.
especially if with attacks like Leech Seed.
Gen 3 was much slower too because of weather shit animations every fucking turn.
>>
>>33411229
What the fuck are you talking about?
>Gen 5 is actually much slower than Gen 4.especially if with attacks like Leech Seed.
Gen 4 suffers from that too, dumbass. Except it's worse because gen 4's engine is still slower than gen 5's so everything takes longer regardless.
>Gen 3 was much slower too because of weather shit animations every fucking turn.
Gen 4 still had the weather animations too, idiot. They weren't removed until gen 5.

If this is bait then congratulations, you hooked me.
>>
>>33405941
>poorly designed region that forces you to backtrack
>a non-linear map gives the player the false impression that the game itself is non-linear despite it being just as linear as any other Pokemon game
>boring and repetitive story, pretty much a recap of gen 3's
>evil team looks silly and unintimidating
>slowness in almost every aspect (the surfing speed was fixed in platinum but that was not the main problem)
>slowness makes battles boring and a chore
>slowness and lack of an organize button makes menus a chore
>way too many legendaries introduced
>many of the box legends and mythicals were "power-creepy" lore-wise, likely just an attempt to get kids interested because "OMG ITS GOD!!!!1"
>forgettable characters, most of them have no defining characteristics (like rowan) and when they do (like barry) it's usually just something along the lines of "he's fast" or something weird like that
>awful new roster of pokemon, introducing many unwanted and ugly baby evolutions and cross-gen evolutions
>soundtrack was easy on the ears and very slow, good for towns but "eh" for routes and terrible for battles. Slow music makes already slow battles egen more sleep-inducing
>terrible regional dex that forces you to pick between either Infernape or Rapidash as your fire type (one of the only issues in DP fixed by Platinum)
>>
>>33411262
Overall DP were bad games and Platinum made some improvements but not enough significant ones to warrant it as a "great" game. Not only did DPPt struggle with its flaws, it also failed to really excel in any field other than difficulty and maybe post-game (in Platinum). And even then, difficulty can be increased by the player themselves via self-imposed challenges so that doesn't really mean much.

DPPt were really mid-tier games that weren't terrible (DP were pretty bad though) and not great either. The reason why /vp/ loves it so much right now is the cucle of nostalgia. A couple of years ago you would see the same threads about gen 3 being the best. Even further at the beginning of /vp/ I remember that Johto was probably the most popular gen. It's all nostalgia. The only games that have advantages over newer ones imo is BW 2 as it did things like regional dex and postgame significantly better than the newer games.

tl;dr DPPt were mid to low tier games that are heavily praised right now because of nostalgia
>>
>>33405941
Gen 4 is one of my favourite gens. Diamond got me back into Pokemon (I never had a GBA, but I had a DS).

Heart Gold is probably my favourite Pokemon game overall.

Also it was the first generation I feel that battle mechanics finally felt right for me. The physical/special move split was such a great addition.

The music in this generation is among the best, too.
>>
>>33408820
Objectively true.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.