[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people throw such a fit about Ambipom? >Design wise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0084.png (114KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0084.png
114KB, 450x360px
Why do people throw such a fit about Ambipom?

>Design wise it seems like a perfectly natural Pokémon evolution
>Aipom was pretty weak and needed a buff
>Completely optional evolution not based on leveling up
>>
>>33368373
Actually one of the few Gen IV evolutions I didn't immediately hate.
>>
>>33368373
They're both ugly and cute.
People just like to bitch.
Magmar and Lickitung were ugly as well.
The only real downgrade for me was Togekiss, since Togetic is a beautiful angel, but I still like it.
>>
>>33368373
Its the nose
>>
>>33368373
I'd like it more if the random fringe lines weren't there and it had the same eyes as aipom
>>
>>33368373

It wasn't enough of a buff to actually fix anything that was wrong with Aipom.
>>
Nobody throws a fit about Ambipom anon. If you just want an excuse to talk about it, just make an Ambipom thread. No need to make up controversy.
>>
>>33368444
Haha h fach
>>
>>33368518
>I'd like it more if it just got bigger
Go back to making fake starter evolutions.
>>
It's fucking hideous
>>
They both look very dumb. Beyond that I don't care. They're very non-noteworthy pokemon.
>>
>>33368373
i like it, so no idea, people are probably bitching about it having a nose and a stupider fringe-line
>>
>>33368373
I hate its shitflinging flinch shenanigans
>>
>>33368373
It's fucking disgusting.
>Flat emoticon nose
>Shitty haircut
>Ridiculous swollen udders on its tail that look even less like hands than whatever it is Aipom has
It's not like Aipom is a great design itself, but the fact that they had an oppurtunity to improve upon it and instead made it even worse makes me dislike Ambipom even more.
>>
File: 1376897114123.jpg (38KB, 480x491px) Image search: [Google]
1376897114123.jpg
38KB, 480x491px
>>33368373
It's Aipom, but bigger and with a more detailed design. That worked for most of the other Sinnoh crossgen evos in my opinion, but Aipom doesn't have a remarkably clever design to begin with. There really wasn't much they could do besides add an extra handtail, all the other random details they slapped on don't make much design sense. I'd say that isn't true for the other evolutions, they might be busy designs but you can usually tell why those details were added.

Of all the Johto Pokemon that could have used an evolution, they chose Aipom. Fucking Aipom.
>>
>>33368373
All gen 4 cross gen evos are terrible. No exception.
>>
File: ambipom9.jpg (88KB, 640x610px) Image search: [Google]
ambipom9.jpg
88KB, 640x610px
Ambipom is my favorite Pokemon.

I'm a big fan of underdog Pokemon; Pokemon that most people hate or overlook or just get a bad rap in general. My second favorite is Swalot.

It started in gen4. Back then I was doing another routine replay of - I think it was Platinum - and I was scouring the pokedex for mons that I haven't used or almost never use for whatever reason. One of the Pokemon I chose was Ambipom, and at the time I didn't have any high expectations. By stroke of luck, my Ambipom's ability was Technitian. I had happened to breed Aipom with Meowth (or something) and so it also knew Fake-Out.

It was then, dear, dear anons, that I saw just about every pokemon in the game that doesn't resist normal fall to two to three attacks. I was getting free first turns every fight that were dealing 25-30% of enemy health. I went to the internet to expand my understanding and over the years have found several gimmicky, fun movesets for Ambipom, but nothing will trump STAB-Technician-Fake-Out in my heart. It's a revenge finisher and a fantastic lead when paired with U-Turn. It is fast, it hits reasonably hard, and it is a happy, fun-loving Pokemon that probably doesn't sweat the small stuff and probably just wants to hang out and play vidya with you.
>>
File: 47845148_p0.jpg (1MB, 747x700px) Image search: [Google]
47845148_p0.jpg
1MB, 747x700px
>>33369431
>Ambipom is my favorite Pokemon.
Superb taste. Both it and Aipom became 2 of my favorite mons the moment I saw them
>>
>>33369338
My thoughts exactly. Well said, anon.
>>
Bowl haircut
>>
I think most people who would dislike Ambipom are Smogonfags, because this Pokémon has the very annoying tendency to always land on a tier higher than it should be because of low ELO niggers overhyping Fake Out to insane levels.
>>
>>33368373
The only think I don't like about it is the fact the purple on its head makes it look like an awful bowl cut.

Otherwise I really like it.
>>
File: 1503503516475.png (118KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
1503503516475.png
118KB, 450x360px
>>33368373
it'll look way better without the nose.
>>
>>33370119
I disagree. The noseless look works for Aipom because its face is overall smaller. The face is suitably filled by the eyes and mouth. Ambipom's face is larger and more spread-out with its features. Without a nose, it just has a big empty spot on its face.
>>
>>33368373
The cheeto covered udders gross me out, honestly. I'd love this design if they had decent fingers.
>>
>>33370275
what would suggest instead then? the original nose feels out of place and stamped on probably because they ran into the same issue you described
>>
>>33368373

People hate Ambi for numerous reasons.

- Awkward red painted fingers on its tails
- Ugly fur on its head
- Its feet are now purple colored.
- That retarded purple nose.
>>
>>33370352
I think it's fine the way it is, but if I had to redesign it I would change the chevron-shaped nose to something a bit more natural looking (like what is on Simisage/sear/pour) but not too boring looking (unlike Simisage/sear/pour).
>>
Ambipom is my favorite Pokémon. It may be average but it gets the job done.
>>
>>33369964
This has some precedence, at least for me. I dont hate or dislike Ambipom but it does seem to be a staple pokemon for tons of absolute shitters regardless of whatever tier or format I'm playing
>>
>>33369383
Your taste is shit. Electivire is my nigga. I love that thing. I still have the one you get from PBR. Hyper trained it even. It has always served me well.
>>
>>33368558
Wrong. I've seen multiple people bitch about it too.
>>
at first ambipom rubbed me the wrong way but only because of its sudden nose but nowadays I'm fine with it and even like it more, looks more like a monkey that way
>>
File: froslass.jpg (50KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
froslass.jpg
50KB, 530x530px
>>33369383
>Not liking Porygon-Z
>Not liking Weavile
>Not liking Tangrowth
>Not liking Froslass
>Not liking Gliscor

Sounds like a terminal case of the shit taste. Nothing we can do for you but let you overdose on painkillers and die in peace.
>>
F R E E
D
A
M
A
G
E
>>
>>33371919
It can be surprisingly effective as a revenge killer, its just that Mienshao is better in almost every way. The shitters all run Fake Out, U-Turn, Knock Off, and Double Hit, and have it hold a Life Orb for some reason. Life Orb and Fake Out don't mix very well, suddenly you only get 10 of those "free turns" before you kill yourself with recoil damage. And the truth is, Return/Frustration does more than Double hit most of the time. And that set gets totally walled by Steel types, when Ambipom learns Low Kick to get around them just fine, it doesn't really need U-turn. I've had a shitload more success using it with Silk Scarf as the item and Low Kick over U-Turn (which Technician conveniently boosts if your foe actually has low weight)
>>
>oval eyes
>tumblr fingers
>weird bracelets
>shitty nose
>bowl cut instead of mo'

Loses all the charm points without providing any new ones
>>
File: 1503512437641.png (124KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1503512437641.png
124KB, 1000x1414px
>>33370119
>>
File: IMG_20170823_193759.jpg (27KB, 444x335px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_193759.jpg
27KB, 444x335px
>>33370119

>>33372468
>>
>>33368373
>>Completely optional evolution not based on leveling up

Doesn't matter if it's optional. I still have to see this ugly abomination in the games.
>>
>>33368373
A few reasons.

1) The nose. God that nose is fucked up, its just painted on and looks wrong. No nose would have been better, or just a dot or two ideally.
B) People think it is far better than it is competitively. It used to haunt mid-low tiers in the past due to technician-fake out but this was actually fairly bad and it had nothing else going for it at all, it really was just used by absolute shitters and kept it out of tiers it belonged in where it could have been good. Verilis types, you know the sort. They love it.
iii) Did I mention the people it attracts? A weird step up from karenfaggotry where they are adamant their pokemon are actually good rather than conceding they aren't. Electivire and Donphan also suffer this.
>>
>>33368373
weenie boy haircut and udders, basically
>>
File: his name's chad.png (85KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
his name's chad.png
85KB, 450x360px
you win OP I'll play your Aimpibom redesign game
>>
>>33372449
I'm well aware of what its capable of, I'm just tired of seeing almost all the time when I'm playing shitters
>>
>>33368373
Boring and terrible design, barely improves over Aipom, and in general is a shitmon that was artificially brought up to higher tiers by retards who thought Technician Fake Out was hot shit, when it reality, Ambipom had no moves.
>>
>>33372494
Looks like a character from The Oblongs now
>>
>>33369431
Great taste, the Aipom line is one of my all time faves
>>
I don't know why people hate the red on its udders so much. It adds a complexity to the design.
>>
File: 1503503516475.png (111KB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
1503503516475.png
111KB, 450x360px
>>33372494
>>33370430
>>33372859
I feel that if you add a nose it takes away from its previous charm. like this, it expands on its older features like keeping the Mohawk.
>>
>>33369383
>Tuxedo Mask Roserade
>Fucking UFO Magnezone
>Based Weavile
Gen 4 Crossgen evos were great

>>33371960
I will always love my electric yeti.
>>
>>33368373
Hoards of people fell for and continue to fall for the Technician Fake Out meme. I think a lot of the hate stems from that

Honestly as a Pokemon its fine and I used one on my last Platinum playthrough to moderate success
>>
I don't get this "technician fake out is bad" meme. By this logic, Marshadow shadow sneak would also be bad.
>>
>>33377126
Don't listen to them, they're just blindly following smogon as the sheep they are.
>>
>>33377126
marshadow isn't using fake out, retard
>>
File: ambipom_by_mrcoal-d5pcwwy.png (897KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ambipom_by_mrcoal-d5pcwwy.png
897KB, 800x1000px
Bumping with best purple monkey.
>>
@33377126
Fake out can only be used once
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.