[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the hell does Pokemon still have all this text during battles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: 1495419783327.png (813KB, 736x899px) Image search: [Google]
1495419783327.png
813KB, 736x899px
Why the hell does Pokemon still have all this text during battles? It's completely unnecessary by this point and does nothing but kill the pacing of battles.

Like the whole origin of having text in battles to describe what's happening was back when graphics were simple enough that it would hard to visually show everything that's going on and make it clear to the player. It was especially used games with a first-person type view during battles, which was the norm until the SNES era. It made sense when the original Red/Green used it because the graphics were short and simple enough that text description help you know what's going on.

But there's a reason why if you look at almost any other game that uses this style you'll find that most attack animation are short and snappy, and the text usually appears on the instantly, with no need to wait for the text box to appear or for the text to scroll across the screen. This keeps the battles going at at a decent pace, without having to constantly stop to let the text scroll, and lets you mash through things if you're fighting some trash mob that you know you don't really need to pay attention too. Meanwhile, most JRPG's started in the 90's to follow what Final Fantasy and some others started, where they get rid of the text description entirely and convey everything through things like move animations, damage numbers and words like "miss" popping up on the screen, and what moves are being used being shown by a box on top of the screen while the animation plays. This also keeps things fairly quick and snappy, while letting you have some more complicated animations and camera work. Even many of the text using games take stuff from this, like damage numbers, and at least SMT also has things like "WEAK" or "IMMUNE" or whatever pop up to quickly show elemental properties.
>>
>>33367351
So why, in 2017 on the 3DS, is Pokemon still not only using text to describe everything that happens, but does it super inefficiently. We now have Pokemon hitting each other with sometime pretty lengthy move animations, and things like weather and field effects being shown onscreen, or even ability activation being shown by a quick pop-in, and yet they still insist on having text boxed constantly pop on and off the screen to describe what moves is being used by what Pokemon, if it hit or missed, if it inflicted a status effect, if the target was weak, resistant, or immune, if a status effect is still affecting a Pokemon this turn, if a status effect wore off, if an ability activated and what it did, what Pokemon was sent out, if weather or a field effect started, if weather or a field effect stopped, if a Pokemon used an item, if a Pokemon fainted, if your Pokemon looked at you at the start of the fight, if your Pokemon stop to scratch its fucking nose. All of this stops the fight for 1 or 2 seconds to have a box pop up and slowly scroll text across the screen to describe what you just clearly saw with no way to mash past it quickly. The only improvement Gamefreak even made on this is getting rid of messages describing weather still happening every round, and that took them like a decade to do.
>>
>>33367356
If they want to keep text boxes, then they need to make the text appear much quicker, and shorten all their animations, since the whole point of the text is to describe shit so you don't need animations. But that's fucking stupid after already making these dynamic 3D battles with long animations. So why the fuck is Gamefreak not taking advantage of their improved graphics to get rid of this shit and just convey everything in a quick, non-intrusive way like other JRPGs. And how has no one else noticed just how much fucking worse Pokemon's battle system is at conveying information quickly than literally almost any other RPG, and how this kills the pacing of fights so much and turns things into a slog, especially now in Sun/Moon, and especially if have high affection with your Pokemon and you're stopped for 5 seconds at the start of every wild encounter to have your Pokemon nod at you and then have a fucking text box appear and describe the head turning animation is just did that you already fucking saw this very fucking instant, like what the fuck is Gamefreak even thinking this helps?
>>
>>33367351
>>33367356
>>33367360
Nice blog post, where do I subscribe?
>>
>>33367351
While I appreciate your post and agree with you to a degree, surely you could have been more succinct and summarised that in a couple paragraphs at most. It's a good writing skill to have. This is what people call "reddit spacing".
>>
>>33367351
>>33367356
>>33367360
kys
>>
>>33367466
I think it's ironic. He's complaining about too much text but made a three posts wall of text.
>>
>>33367560
This
>>
File: 1384202516489.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1384202516489.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>33367351
What the fuck are you even talking about? What text describes things that can be removed?
>Make the text appear much quicker
There's a fast setting. Other than that, it's a game for fucking children.
>>
I know this is a jokey thread, but I agree. We don't need to be reminded that it's raining, or my Pokemon is poisoned when the animations show it clearly.
>>
>>33367692
>What text describes things that can be removed?
Well let's see.
-Damage and healing can be shown as a number appearing around the Pokemon.
-Missing can be shown as a MISS or NO EFFECT that appears around the Pokemon.
-Weakness and such can be shown by a WEAK, RESIST, or IMMUNE appearing around the Pokemon.
-Abilities can be shown just by the Ability text that already appears next to the Pokemon. You don't need explain it again in the text box.
-Move names can be shown in a box at the top of the screen while the move animation plays.
-Pokemon going in and out of their Pokemon, or fainting can just be shown without text. It's self evident. The same with stupid shit like the Pokemon looking at at the start of the fight.
-Weather, terrain, and rooms can just appear and stay on the screen. Them appearing and disappearing is self evident.
-Using items like Potions can be shown the same way as moves. Using hold items mid-turn like a berry or Quick Claw can be shown the same way as Abilities.

You literally don't need any scrolling text boxes whatsoever for anything that happens in the fight.
>>
>>33367351
>>33367356
>>33367360
Did you really write all this just to express a concept that could be written in 5 sentences?
Are you a videogame webcomic artists?
>>
>>33367774
>Moving the text and making it harder for the core audience to understand
>Moving the text again
>Moving the text again
>Exactly what happens
>Almost exactly what happens
>Almost gibberish
>Making it harder for the core audience
>Almost what happens

Right. You're autistic.
>>
>>33367813
It's not simply moving the text. This way you don't need to press a button to move through the text. It just appears and disappears automatically at a good rate.

And I can't see how it's any harder for kids to understand when other kids RPGs like Mario RPG's, Golden Sun, Earthbound, even fucking Youkai Watch do at least some of the shit I've just talked about. It's not like most SNES RPGs like Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger weren't aimed at kids too, and they do exactly what I'm talking about. Hell, not even fucking Dragon Quest still shows things like damage or missing through text box descriptions.
>>
It's padding to slow the game down and trick people into thinking they're getting value for money.
>>
File: 1481281014135.jpg (320KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481281014135.jpg
320KB, 960x720px
>>33367351
Anon, bring up the menu and select "Options". Then, set "text speed" to "fast" and "battle scene" to "off".

You would probably have an aneurysm if you ever tried playing the GameCube RPGs.
>>
>>33367869
So it's moving the text and removing a button press.

Again, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Earthbound are nowhere near Pokémon in terms of being for children. Pokémon is LITERALLY almost EXCLUSIVELY for children.
>>
File: kq73EjY.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
kq73EjY.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>33367774
These are all pretty valid improvements. Especially stuff like moves and damage being quick, tiny hovering popups. Constant weather/Terrain is also idea because they're immensely grating efforts to pad out the battle when you're reminded every turn.

But let's be real. Gamefreak doesn't actually want to optimize the quality of the core game because they don't give a fuck and would have done so a long fucking time ago.
>>
>>33368023
What benefit do you think the text descriptions have? Do you really think 5 year olds are reading through all those text boxes and it's helping them understand what's going on better than some icons and shit on the screen would? Because I wouldn't say they helped me know what was going and what I was doing when I played RB as a kid anymore than what other RPGs I played did. And that was back when they needed to use text descriptions because of how limited the graphics were.
>>
>>33368074
>Samefagging
This is why you watch the IP count kids.
>>
File: 1393223870030.jpg (56KB, 676x492px) Image search: [Google]
1393223870030.jpg
56KB, 676x492px
>>33368102
>This is why you watch IP count
>He didn't actually watch the IP count
>>
>>33368205
>L-liar!
Weird, it went up this time. How exactly did you watch it when you weren't in the thread?
>>
Personaly I agree that abilities should have unique animation.
>>
>>33368210
I didn't need to watch it nigga, cuz that was my first post in the thread. Quit being to booty blasted over someone else not agreeing with you over something so inane.
>>
I know OP really went overboard with the three whole posts of text, but are there really people here who disagree with their main point? I know /vp/ is a pretty autistic board but I didn't think it was that bad.
>>
>>33368223
So now you're not even denying it? Nice.
>>
File: 1393548269750.jpg (58KB, 702x558px) Image search: [Google]
1393548269750.jpg
58KB, 702x558px
>>33368229
Go find a hobby anon, maybe play a pokemon or something.
>>
>>33368277
Why the fuck would anyone play Pokemon.
>>
What the fuck is OP even talking about. Give me a TL;DR you fucklord.
>>
>>33368494
He complains about too much text while writing too much text. That's the entire joke.
>>
>>33368485
/vp/-pokemon
>>
File: pottery.png (446KB, 494x486px) Image search: [Google]
pottery.png
446KB, 494x486px
>>33367351
>>33367356
>>33367360
>complains about text via a wall of text
>>
>>33368494
He says pokemon battles are too bloated with tedious time wasting text when there could easily be optimized to happen quicker.
>>
You complain about the stupidest of things, you know what's worse?
Long ass animations like z-moves
>>
>>33367466
>>33367558
>>33367576

not even op, but people with no reading comprehension shouldn't be allowed to be on the internet.
>>
>>33367351

I agree with this autism.
Also ditch slow scenes of people talking or make them skippable.

In the time it takes you to get through the "tutorial" section in SM you can have the first gym beaten in other games.
>>
>>33369709
Mega Evolution and Z Moves ensure pokemon games are gonna be gimmicky flashy bullshit over substance from here on out.
>>
>>33369760
Mega evolutions take no time at all and give shitmons a chance, z moves are shit
>>
Just wanted to clear something up. The point wasn't supposed to be that text itself is bad. I play games with shitloads of text and read it all, including visual novels. The point is that it's at ends with the dynamic battle presentation the 3DS games have. It's unnecessary when they could show everything through animations and quick pop-ups like every other JRPG with similar battle layouts. Combine with just the bloated amount of shit it needs to tell you, especially at the start of fights, and it means the game has poor tempo. It makes battles feel slow and unsatisfying, makes random encounters overly annoying to even just run from let alone fight, and makes grinding twice as tedious as it needs to be.
>>
>>33367774
You mean to say that GF should've made text boxes optional, right?
>>
>>33369843
you're not wrong by any stretch, it's just the the majority of people here literally only play pokemon. they don't have any frame of reference for what a good RPG is
>>
>>33367351
masuda its at fault, he is the one making shitty stuff for pokemon.
like text and story, and they are lame.
fun fact, on gen 7 there where going to be over 30 waifumons, but masuda said no.
>>
>>33367869
>It just appears and disappears automatically at a good rate.

They already did some of that though and it is shit. I want them to go back to how it was - that you HAD to click through.

You shouldn't be forced to miss shit that's said just because you look away for a second and there are morons with the attention span of a retarded goldfish who can't take clicking through.

If anything it should be an option, but just in case you haven't been able to tell for the last couple generations, Game Freak is not good at doing options even when they know people want them and have to know it would help their player base because people would actually stick around for more than a month after release.

You know, like we used to.
>>
It works fine, it's part of the series' style. Bet you complained about the circles, too.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.