[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good gameplay element? I think it stacks the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 8

File: 1493377358796.png (211KB, 775x579px) Image search: [Google]
1493377358796.png
211KB, 775x579px
Is this a good gameplay element?

I think it stacks the odds in your favor
>>
Does it matter?
You can one shot everything with your starter anyway.
>>
>>33314180
no it is the difficulty setting although most retards will keep it on switch and still complain that it they are "too easy"
also using items mid fight
If none of that is allowed in battles between people then they are deemed unfair and are only allowed to let kids and retards have a chance
>>
>>33314181

I bet you choose grass types in gen 1, casual
>>
>>33314181
not anymore since BW2 and SM changed the exp formula although I think you wouldn't even recognize these names
>>33314183
grass has been hard mode just as much as every other type, BW and DP had the toughest time instead
>>
>>33314180
If only you could turn it off.
>>
>>33314185
>no these games suck they are so dumb and easy!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>33314182
NPCs use items too, you know.
>>
>complaining that a literal children's game is easy

Just play romhacks you dumb cunts.
>>
>>33314186
Well it's easy regardless, since it's a kid's game first. I don't understand people who complain about pokemon being easy. You have dozens of shitty fangames to scratch that itch.
>>
>>33314187
since gen5 they use a couple of potions/full restores and only when they would actually be useful
instead players can be invincible by abusing revives
>>33314189
pokemon fangames are all garbage
SM was hard enough if you don't abuse the exp share
>>
>>33314180
You can turn it off. I do it since it's closer to how the multiplayer works
>>
>>33314191
yes in multiplayer you play on set, can't use items and your levels will be equal to your opponent
if you want to have fun playing single player pokemon that is the way and I have tried it on all of them and had fun on most, some are still shit like DPP, XY and RSE sadly
>>
>>33314180
If you don't overlevel, don't use items mid-match, KO=death clause, and have set battle style on; even the newer regular games can be decently challenging.

Nuzlocking fangames is for true masochists though.
>>
>>33314190

Pokemon prism was alright
>>
>>33314193
KO=death clause is retarded rule that also inflates the 3rd problem which is level difference
you have to grind to play like it and if you grind the fun is over
>>33314194
no it was a ripoff of the GSC, incredibly boring without the things that made GSC good
>>
>>33314180
>>33314181
It is not a good element. Turn that shit off in settings bro!
Also play an emulator and decrease all of your party's levels by about 3 to 5 every time you enter a new town.
>>
I always turn it off
>>
>>33314180
You know you can turn it off if you think it's an unfair advantage, right?
>>
>>33314180
Is it too fucking hard to go under options and put "Set" instead of "Switch" or whatever the fack it was? It's literally optional.
>>
>>33314196
in most older pokemon games you will be underleved for all the important fights if you have more than 4 pokemon in your team
>>
>>33314184
You can still solo with your starter in those games.
>>
It satisfies my "rekt enemy by knowing their type weakness so I can advance with full health" autism
>>
>>33314200
This is true.
>>
>>33314201
ok bro whatever you say
I totally haven't tried that myself and know better
>>
>>33314202
if you use switch you porbably have worse issues than autism
>>33314203
it's as if this terrible way of playing the games, by using only one or two pokemon is actually what the developers did
anyway if you want to have fun try raising a full team, playing on set, not using items and mostly revives on trainer battles and turn off the exp share in gen6 and 7
>>
>>33314180
You can disable that in the options.
I still don't understand people that play with that on.
>>
>>33314206
>I still don't understand people that play with that on.

Because they want to steamroll NPC battles. Do you suffer from some mental illness where you cant understand this?
>>
>you can talk about pokemon games but not gameplay elements, thats belongs on /vp/

wtf
>>
MODS = GODS
>>
>>33314207
It is slower with!all pop ups and poke changes
>>
>switch on
>can make full use of my team so every pokemon gets exp and has a chance to shine on their advantageous matchup
>reset gameboy if first pokemon matchup is bad
superior way to play, desu.
>>
>>33314211
That's right, what's the problem?
>>
File: 1457386442730.gif (1009KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1457386442730.gif
1009KB, 512x384px
>X/Y was babby shit
>decide to try to spice it up
>Set, not Switch
>No items. Period. Not even held.
>Can only heal at pokemon centers or beds.
>Can only use the pokemon center once per town.
>If fainting, take the walk of shame back to try again until succeeding.
>No battling wild pokemon, avoid all trainers if possible.
>EXP Share off.
>Game becomes a whole new fucking monster.
>get to Flare HQ
>game becomes nightmare-tier difficulty with how effortlessly they fucking chip your team down with a 3-4 level difference above your own

Honestly, I think the game's difficulties are fine since it opens up a lot more options than "just use OU/UU pokes to remotely survive". There's plenty of ways to spice it all up without needing to run a horribly underpowered team just to have a tough time.
>>
There are people who don't play with Set?
What the fuck.
>>
>>33314180
no, and yes, it should be removed
>>
If you play with "Set" mode enabled, you are a tryhard dolt that probably tried to show off to all the kids in school whenever possible. Fucking losers.
>>
>>33314198
it needs to be applied to everyone
or at least you can use it only in a "easy mode", so people can really know they're playing baby mode
>>
>>33314180
no its not, i disable it from the very start. nearly impossible to lose with it in
>>
File: 1471562206954.jpg (78KB, 495x497px) Image search: [Google]
1471562206954.jpg
78KB, 495x497px
>>33314273
>>33314180
>doesn't change to Set format at first opportunity
>>
>>33314305
You bought a Pokémon game. Everyone already knows you're playing baby mode.
>>
>>33314180
What is wrong with the font? Is this a ROM hack?
>>
>>33314267
yeah
it's on nearly every time when i want to see how it was for others players against x trainer on youtube
it's really disgusting
anyone using it is a faggot, like this guy >>33314278
>>
>>33314305
>it needs to be applied to everyone

>if I don't like a particular feature, nobody can have it

Holy shit, look at that fucking autism. Do you ever stop and think about the retarded things you say?
>>
File: disguskot.jpg (47KB, 564x400px) Image search: [Google]
disguskot.jpg
47KB, 564x400px
>>33314325
>wants his EVs all over the place
>>
>>33314367
yes, it's objectively an unfair advantage that shouldn't be here
and anyway, don't forget to read the line after the one you quoted

too much people aren't paying attention to it, it's not implanted well
>>
>friend gets into Pokemon with Sun
>complains saying the game is too easy and she thought it was meant to be hard
>gets mad when I tell her that refresh, exp share and grinding are the soft difficulty options and calls me stupid for not powergaming hardcore
LOL
>>
>>33314183
Difficulty setting in gen 1 is Squirtle > Bulbasaur > Charmander. That's not saying much though when you can catch a Nidoking and sweep the game.
>>
>>33314255

I played Eternal X/Wilting Y with basically those rules and still it was no challenge. X and Y are just bad games.
>>
>>33314405
It's sorta true, though.

I was playing the KH series recently and when I got to BBS and DDD, there were moves you could exploit that just made the game a cakewalk.

Why would I not use them? Why would I not use these tools given to me? It's the same with Pokemon. Instead of having to purposely ignore tools given to the player, they should just you know.. put in a fucking difficulty option. If I can breeze my way through something, why purposely hinder myself?

I wouldn't do that in a sport, for a job, for anything. I think the idea that the player has to purposely handicap themselves for a challenge is quite utterly ridiculous and terrible design.
>>
>>33314407

In FRLG you mean

RBY was Bulbasaur>Squirtle>Charmander
>>
>>33314180
it speeds up the fights and it's still difficult if you have to beat 10-15 trainers before the next center. But it's one of the reasons I think gym leader rematches should be in battle tree mode. shame i never played the pwt because gen 5 almost made me quit pokemon.
>>
>>33314423
yeahd and that's why we should put them in a different mode of difficulty or remove them
and it's the same for heal item in battle or using more pokemon than your opponent
>>
>>33314204
If you can't then you're incredibly shit
>>
>>33314422
You know you can just admit you've never done it before, anon.

No one thinks your hardcore or a badass when blatantly lying.
>>
>>33314195
>hating on prism
wah wah wah
>>
>>33314390
EVs were a mistake
>>
>>33314423
>>33314431
The idea that they're completely optional is the best thing about them. You chose the parameters of your playthrough and tailor make the experience for yourself.

If you're like the first anon: use everything you can to be the best, but don't complain the game is too easy when it's meant to be a game for everyone, not just you.
If you're like the second anon: don't use those aspects of the game and limit yourself to make things more of a challenge.

People need to understand that giving options and agency to the player is always better than not.
>>
>>33314423

>I think the idea that the player has to purposely handicap themselves for a challenge is quite utterly ridiculous and terrible design.

Thank you, someone gets it.

Shooting yourself in the foot does not make your game challenging. It only makes the player stupid.
>>
since gen 6 i never bothered putting Set style because since the exp doesn't split between pokemon anymore it's basically like having the Exp.Share always turned on
>>
>>33314452
However, "do you want to switch" is an option and gives the player a choice to do so. It is basically easy-mode and hard-mode without telling you directly so.
>>
>>33314435

Ive been playing set since GSC and no your imposed rules really arent that hard. Its easily overcome by planning your team ahead and picking for type advantage. The game AI is dumb as rocks.
>>
>>33314475

Which doesnt matter if the trainer and gym rosters are piss easy and top out at 3-4 Pokemon.

The difference is very minute.
>>
>>33314180
Do you really play with switch mode?
What are you? Ten?
>>
>>33314182
Nothing wrong with using items mid fight, because you lost one turn.
Actually, it's more difficult to use items in battle that not fully healing your team with items after one.
>>
File: 1457487240302.png (982KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457487240302.png
982KB, 1280x720px
>>33314476
If by "planning ahead" you mean knowing what the fights are coming up and abusing that, then sure, whatever.

Set alone doesn't make a huge difference in difficulty, and what I recounted was just one of the countless ways people creatively play the game. Stop being a turbo autist who thinks that the only way the games can be hard is if there's a massive level disparity and random fucking 10 year olds are running VGC strategies specially designed to fuck you in the asshole.
>>
>>33314429
RBY you get 100BP dig on the squirtle line and have perfect coverage if you give it normal moves. It is definitely the peak time for the mon as a starter.
>>
File: 5024.png (89KB, 250x270px) Image search: [Google]
5024.png
89KB, 250x270px
>>33314180
It's an element that grants the player an option of how they want to play, without stripping the game itself of purpose by giving so much freedom that the gameplay changes as a result. Whether you use it or not, it's not doing any harm and it helps some people out in the long run - so it's absolutely a good thing.
>>
>>33314429
in FRLG charmander is in middle desu
>>
>>33314180
Keep it on Switch: The game's easier but you can actually level pokemon too weak to be in battle yet

Keep it on Set: The game's harder but you usually have one pokemon getting all the exp, meaning you keep using them more and more because the rest of the team keeps falling behind
>>
>>33314586

The point are the games are inherently less difficult as the gens move on.

>Stop being a turbo autist who thinks that the only way the games can be hard is if there's a massive level disparity and random fucking 10 year olds are running VGC strategies specially designed to fuck you in the asshole.

Listen, I know this is a strawman but I need to use this opportunity to point something out here. Namecalling like a child is not how you get people to agree with you, in fact it will do the opposite.

Anyway there are more ways to bring difficulty to the franchise than just using Smogon/VGC mons. Neutering rosters like BWXY did is just the polar inverse of using competitive mons. There is a middle ground. Fuller teams, higher levels and better movesets. DPPt did this beautifully, theres no reason Gamefreak cant do the same now.
>>
>>33314614

Except the Squirtle line is too slow to deal with half of the electric types out there. He'll get zapped before he can even use dig. Thats why you catch Dugtrio in Vermilion. Anyway I find him better in FRLG because Bite now being dark type helps him not be walled by Mistys Starmie.

Bulbasaur doesnt have as much weakness in RBY and doesnt get a ton better in FRLG. Yeah it gets Earthquake but Blaines mons are all faster.

>>33314660

It literally just gets metal claw and wing attack. Aside from beating Brock, you get no other real improvements.
>>
>>33314205
>using only one or two pokemon is actually what the developers did
Source of this?
>>
>>33314429
Nah squirtle is still the best
Water is a busted type for ingame in gens 1-3
>>
File: 1491309134306.gif (763KB, 108x160px) Image search: [Google]
1491309134306.gif
763KB, 108x160px
What if NPCs also played under the switch rule, and could swap out their Pokémon after knocking one of yours out?
>>
>>33316207
In general, you're not supposed to counter a type advantage with a coverage move, you will most likely get OHKO'ed while your SE move won't do much. Like, it's wrong to say "oh, I'll just teach my Grass type Earthquake to deal with Fire types", that's dumb.
>>
>>33316250
Are you fucking stupid? You have 4 different attacks. That's at maximum 4 different types to choose from. Let's say you have a physical grass type. Do you honestly expect Pokémon to carry 4 different fucking physical grass moves and have one clearly better than the other one?

You're supposed to cover your bases and be diverse, numbskull.
>>
>>33316230

Didnt say he wasnt the best (which he is), but that dig was a poor choice for Squirtle.
>>
>>33316337
Oh, my mistake. Plus you can skip Lt Surge's gym and do it later. Or like someone said, grab Dugtrio and sweep it.
>>
>>33316281
That's why you teach your Grass type EQ to deal with Electric types, are you seriously gonna stay in against a Fire type and not switch out?
>>
>>33316250

Thats circumstantial.

Bulbasaur and Squirtle have the bulk in addition to coverage. Charmander does not. Charmander is deadweight for nearly half of the game.

>"oh, I'll just teach my Grass type Earthquake to deal with Fire types"

And I literally just spoke against this. Reread my post.
>>
>>33316400
>grass type has high attack and speed
>fire type has low defence and speed
>not capitalising on this
>>
>>33314180
It gives you a minor advantage, but you can turn it off if it bothers you.
>>
NPCs should get an option to switch as well after your Pokémon gets KO'd and you select the Pokémon to switch to.

I personally leave it on Switch instead of Set because I care too much about experience distribution among my party. If there was an "Opponent may switch" option, I'd probably use that instead.
>>
Damn this forum is cancer
>>
I have turned that off since gen 2. If you are one or more of these:
>older than 12
>someone who enjoys postgame facilities or games like Stadium and Colosseum
>someone who complains when games are too easy
>a player who plays or at least dabbles in competitive online play
and you don't turn it off, then you are retarded.
>>
>>33314367
Wow rude
>>
>>33316602

You know you can bait and switch.
>>
>>33314423
Pokemon's main demographic is children. If you make the game easy by default, with options to make it harder, it's accessible and fun for everyone. That's good game design.

Also, if you put in difficulty levels, choosing hard mode instead of easy is purposely handicapping yourself, and so bad design by your logic.
>>
I played Sun in Set and my pokemon didn't have too much difference between levels, at most three levels.
Also, I trained twelve pokemon for the main story instead of get stuck just with six.
>>
>>33317981
you used the exp share or grinded then
without it you would be a little underleveled against all the important trainers later on, as it should be
I had a lot of fun on SM with this setup >>33314205
>>
>>33314190
>SM was hard enough if you don't abuse the exp share
Wut.
I didnt use exp share until postgame and it was every bit as easy as X/Y.
>>
>>33320199
we get it you are such a pro
>>
>>33314423
>they should just you know.. put in a fucking difficulty option.

But that doesn't fix the issue at hand. Why would I not use an easier difficulty as it's one of the tools given to me to powergame harder?
>>
>>33320202
>we get it you are such a pro
No I'm not a pro?
I don't even have issue with Pokemon's difficulty but saying Sun/Moon are hard in any sense of the word is, well, wrong...
>>
>>33320211
>>33314205
do this
if you want to have fun try raising a full team, playing on set, not using items and mostly revives on trainer battles and turn off the exp share in gen6 and 7
it is the only fair way to play
SM already has a lot of mprovements on the AI and the opponent IV and EV spreads that scale with game progression
E4 and later trainers have 6x31 IVs and 252/252 sets
>>
>>33320230
I do this, yes. Usually once a gen. Most of this is how I play in general, so I'm not seeing a point here?
But it is still factually incorrect to say S/M is any harder than X/Y, or even hard in general when you do this.

Doing this makes the game just right I've found, not hard.
>>
>>33320239
that's is the point then to make it just right
I had challenging fights against all the midgame totems and bosses like Lusamine
in fact I even had a hard time against wild pokemon because my team was overall very slow and couldn't run away before they called in SOS
I loved the 2vs1 feature for this
that is how it should be
>>
>>33320246
The problem is that I didn't need to do things like that to make older games just right.

I didn't have any problem any of those, like there was never time I felt I could lose, but it wasn't button mash to win easy on those settings either.
Meanwhile doing that on games in the early DS era was kind of a horrible survival gauntlet.
>>
>>33314196
>The game is g-good! J-just change the settings and use cheats to f-fix it!
>I-it's still g-good!
>>
>>33320246
>I loved the 2vs1 feature for this
I found horde battles easier for this. Most of my wild pokemon experience didn't even involve SOS battles because they always failed.

>>33320283
>Meanwhile doing that on games in the early DS era was kind of a horrible survival gauntlet.

I wouldn't go that far but none of the totems were especially menacing. I just want a rival battle that can knock out a few pokemon against, because even with exp share off and no items Hau/Gladion are still got punching bags.
>>
>>33320283
yes because they didn't have this better exp formula
older games were designed to be played with your starter alone to overwhelm everything by level difference only
if you think that is good game design you can go back to your nostalgiafaggotry and let gf make the future
>>
>>33320288
The problem seems to be less these features exist, but more than people don't like the idea of others, especially children, using them.

I'm all for kids nutting up and all but I don't see why have the exp share or shift options really means I should use them. Online is for being a powergamer, my single-player experience is my own business and my play is up to me.
If you have a weak mind and are temped by difficulty options/exp share/battle styles then that isn't really the problem of people who aren't.

Those people are only cheating themselves an experience, but as long as they have fun it hardly matters. If they're not having fun then it's their fault for not changing things up.
>>
>>33320299
your fault for replying the the autistic quoteposter
>>
>>33320298
>yes because they didn't have this better exp formula

Except it's not better. I like this formula more, but saying older games encouraged you to use your starter confirms you either didn't play older games or didn't take your advice in older games.

The exp formula has nothing to do with this: if you want to grind, you will grind no matter how long it takes. In fact I would argue one of my problems with Sun/Moon is that despite having this formula they in no way balance the game to take advantage of it, even when you impose all these "challenges" on yourself.
>>
>>33320298
>Making games piss easy even when using self imposed limits is a good thing.

What? I like challenge from my games. Even playing like you said is not good enough in Sun/Moon. It is just THAT easy.
>>
>>33320299
The fact you have the ability to change those things back at any time is just bad design. Why would you choose the hard way when you have the easy option for the entire game. It's not hard to just separate things into an easy or hard mode option at the start of the game so it's consistent. The fact the game has to rely on the player to say "ok, I'm going to choose the hardest option even though the easy option is available to me mid-game" is bad design.

It's just common knowledge that in a game you choose the most efficient and effective methods to overcome it. If in the menu BEFORE the game, it says, you can play an easy or hard mode of this game, then, great, there's your choice. If you're actually playing the game and you have to CHANGE the settings mid-experience, then that's dumb. I've never understood developers choosing to do it this way. It's like if you lose a battle in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. It says Game over and gives you the options

>Continue (Easy mode)
>Continue
>Quit

It's like fuck off, let me play the fucking game without having to play the fucking settings. I pick continue and I feel like a fucking moron for not choosing the easy option. If an ultimate strategy for winning presents itself, why would you choose otherwise. Let's be honest, it's pokemon, it's still not gonna be a fucking challenge anyway without heavy modification.
>>
>>33314395
It's a fucking children's game. If they want to use switch because they're new, let them. No reason to be removed.
>>
>>33320333

>If in the menu BEFORE the game, it says, you can play an easy or hard mode of this game, then, great, there's your choice.
You contradict yourself.
>Why would you choose the hard way when you have the easy option for the entire game.
"It's just common knowledge that in a game you choose the most efficient and effective methods to overcome it."
Playing on hard at all would be inefficient.
Just because your own, personal, experience is somehow belittled by your inability to have fun I don't see why this is bad game design as a whole.
>>
>>33320356
It's not a contradiction tho
>>
>>33320362
How is it not?
Choosing easy at the beginning of the game is far more efficient because you wouldn't need to choose it again later.
Why would you gimp yourself on hard mode at all when you can just choose easy and take the most efficient method?
>>
>>33320356
Huh. I have never looked at it like this before.
Functionally no difference between the option to change at will because you always had the option to change at will...
Powergamers would always choose easy anyway.
>>
>>33320368
As I said, it's pre-game. The game has not yet begun. Nice try tho m8. Keep at it and you'll be a real 4chan shitposter in no time.
>>
>>33320389
Yes but not choosing easy would not be the optimal setting, and if we're talking about using tools to beat the game most efficiently you would never choose any difficulty not easy.
>>
>>33320374
Ultimately choice is the problem.
Timing doesn't matter, if you give somebody the option to cheese the game it will ultimately be the best decision gameplay wise to do so.
>>
>>33320412
I would disagree there.
At best theres a vocal minority that feel they need to always be optimal/always research the best strat/take every advantage possible.

Some people are just content to enjoy the game, especially in something like Pokemon where free of choice is what really matters. The ability to go about journey in any way you want is a good thing, even if some people aren't mentally mature enough to accept a challenge.
>>
>>33320299
With Pokemon, I really don't give a shit about options to make the games easier because these games are made for kids, but I really hate the forced-healing parts of the newer games. Like, why even be prepared with Revives/Potions at that point? On the other hand, they've been doing a better job at giving enemy trainers interesting movesets and the like so in self-challenge runs you can run into some pretty hard opponents.

As a more general rule with video games, I'm kind of annoyed by the whole "well just add the option, not like that'll affect your experience" argument. To me that's such an exhaustive argument that dismisses a part of game design. It's just one step removed from that one time a game writer said something along the lines of "I want to just enjoy the story so I would like if they added a no-gameplay mode to games". I mean, logically, yeah, I guess that'll please some people and itd bes "just an option", but at what point does it stop being accommodating to players and just starts being taking the whole concept of game design out of the dev's hands?
>>
>>33320429
>but I really hate the forced-healing parts of the newer games. Like, why even be prepared with Revives/Potions at that point?
I can agree with that.
>>33320429
>It's just one step removed from that one time a game writer said something along the lines of "I want to just enjoy the story so I would like if they added a no-gameplay mode to games".
Yet it is no different than having a difficulty option at all, no matter what the time is.
If somebody wants to waste money/time on a game that has no gameplay it is their issue and is not a knock against the game itself.

It's not dismissive of game design when the actual game design is there, even if you have the option to skip it, and I would argue that Sun/Moon forcing a story on you for the sake of "plot" is shittier game design that making an option to just view the events with no gameplay.
>>
>>33320429
>but at what point does it stop being accommodating to players and just starts being taking the whole concept of game design out of the dev's hands?

When they stop giving you options at all, so I don't really get your point.
>>
>>33320299
I really don't agree with you on this, but I have to admit you making >>33320389 ragequit the thread because he couldn't come up with a counterpoint is pretty great.
>>
>>33320441
The thing is, one of the things hard games used to do is force you to get good or fuck off, and that's a pretty big factor in how you experience the game.

In principle I'm not actually against having easy modes or even a "story only" mode for any game, I just don't buy when people argue it doesn't affect the experience at all. It most certainly does.

>>33320451
Fair enough, an "easy mode" can be well-designed too, but I guess my point is ultimately what I said above- I don't think "it's just an option" is really a legitimate argument against people seeking a challenging game, because offering you the option for an easier mode is part of a game's design.
>>
>>33320472
>Fair enough, an "easy mode" can be well-designed too, but I guess my point is ultimately what I said above- I don't think "it's just an option" is really a legitimate argument against people seeking a challenging game, because offering you the option for an easier mode is part of a game's design.

But it's ultimately just an option. I've said before getting gud or fucking off is something I very much enjoy, but I will never get how having options will prevent this.
The people who don't use them will git gud, and the people who use them would have just fucked off anyway.

The only that affects your expensive is your own choices or what they force you into doing.
>>
>>33320485
>what they force you into doing
That's my point though, the lack of an easier difficulty can be a deliberate design choice by the devs to force you into playing at the standard/harder difficulty. That's something a couple games still do- it's pretty much a niche thing now, but that doesn't change that the existence or lack thereof of an easy mode can be a design choice. I don't get how people can argue this doesn't affect how a player experiences a game.

Yes, people with self-control can just ignore a slider or whatever and beat the hard modes anyway. That's not really relevant to what I'm trying to say though.
>>
>>33320503
And what i'm trying to say is that this doesn't change how we experience the game in any capacity. Those select people maybe but they would have just ragequit anyway.

The misconception here seems to be that lacking an easier difficulty is always a good thing, when no it isn't always a good thing. There can be no standard difficulty without an easier method.

If it is a design choice it's one that is entirely optional, and thus the point is moot. Especially in pokemon where it used to be about having your own adventure by your own rules.
>>
>>33320520
>The misconception here seems to be that lacking an easier difficulty is always a good thing
Where did I even imply this?

>There can be no standard difficulty without an easier method
You're just arguing semantics here, obviously by standard difficulty in this context I meant whatever difficulty the game would have in the absence of some easy mode (IE the one the dev intends).

>If it is a design choice it's one that is entirely optional, and thus the point is moot.
Having options is always a design choice and thus will affect how a player experiences a game, even subconsciously. If these things didn't matter "difficulty curve" wouldn't even be a thing.

If you're arguing that it's such a small effect that it doesn't matter, we can pretty much agree to disagree there. I only take issue with saying that it doesn't affect the player at all.

And like I said earlier, I don't really give a shit about it in Pokemon, since it's a kid's game. I mostly took issue with the exhaustive argument of "it's just an option so it doesn't affect anything" when talking about games in general.
>>
>>33320580
>we can pretty much agree to disagree there
That seems to be the best way to go about it, however I still fail to see how something that is entirely optional affects player experience when the player's mindset exists before the game is even thought of. This is a problem with people, not games, and it seems to be entirely subjective on both our parts what we get from games and how we view this. It in no way affects me, as a player, at all and from your standpoint would only affect players like you(no offense intended there).

While exhaustive, I agree, the argument is not without credibility.
>>
>>33320580
>And like I said earlier, I don't really give a shit about it in Pokemon, since it's a kid's game
The real problem with pokemon is that you can't make it balanced without making it bullshit.

Either you make the AI read your moves/have bias RNG like the cheat frontier, force shitmons on the user, or have a fucked level curve.
Even if this wasn't a kid's game the current game engine just doesn't favor anything remotely balanced.
>>
>>33314182
>>33314187
>stop using items during battles
>no option to stop the NPCs from doing the same
It just kills the mood during the final battles because you know the champion will spam full restores when you are about to faint his second pokémon
>>
>>33320641
A big issue is that Pokemon's mechanics revolve a lot around just one-shotting shit. In turn-based RPGs advanced strategies come from your party makeup and planning several turns ahead. Since Pokemon competitive does have those aspects it matters a lot more.

The single player game does do this occasionally by giving some enemy trainers weird, gimmicky sets, but a lot of times players miss it because they power through them with level superiority, or enemy strategy doesn't matter when they only have like 2 Pokemon. For example, there's this random trainer in Lumoise Gym who uses a Dedenne with I think it was Charge Beam/Rest/Snore. It's a set that can actually screw you pretty bad if you can't take him out fast, but most players won't have that issue.
>>
File: 1497566690194.png (19KB, 298x304px) Image search: [Google]
1497566690194.png
19KB, 298x304px
>>33314390
>caring about EVs on your ingame team
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.