[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Jubilife the first time a "city" in a Pokemon game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: 793px-Jubilife_City_Pt.png (693KB, 793x599px) Image search: [Google]
793px-Jubilife_City_Pt.png
693KB, 793x599px
Was Jubilife the first time a "city" in a Pokemon game felt like an actual city rather than "town with 4 houses and a paved road"
>>
Goldenrod
>>
Saffron and Celadon both felt that way to me, especially in the remakes
>>
I thought it was so fucking comfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpkr49RioHg
>>
Nah, it was Lumiose
>>
>>33311354
What is Castelia?
>>
>>33311344
Its a shame Alola doesnt have any. Hau'oli feels like Lilycove at best
Then again they barely even had ANY cities and towns in SM
>>
>>33311344
Saffron or Celadon honestly...Jubilife felt bigger and somehow nicer though
>>
>>33311369
I mean, Alola at least tried with having actual streets with cars and shit, but it's just very hard to make a city feel like an actual city in these games.

You gotta put a lot of imagination into it.
>>
>>33311344
*Viridian city
>>
File: 720px-Viridian_Town_FRLG.png (334KB, 720x600px) Image search: [Google]
720px-Viridian_Town_FRLG.png
334KB, 720x600px
>>33311384
>>>>>>>>>>""""""""""city""""""""""""
>>
>>33311362
Almost there but not frustrating enough
>>
Jubilife felt a lot smaller than Celadon, Saffron, Cerulean, Goldenrod, Rustboro, and Lilycove did to me
>>
>>33311433
Celadon and Cerulean are tiny as fuck, what are you talking about?
>>
>>33311437
They felt big
>>
>>33311344
Celadon and Saffron felt like cities.
>>
>>33311344
Saffron was large (for it's location) but suffered because most the houses had no doors. Celadon with the department store, game freak's office, and game corner felt large at the time.

I feel like Goldenrod was the first true city for me (because nostalgia goggles maybe?) but it had enough things in the city plus the day care in the sticks that it felt big.
>>
>>33311439
For you
>>
>>33311354
Oh god don't remind me of the street layout and cameras.
>>
Probably Goldenrod, it felt like a big city, it had the gym, radio station, train station, underground market, park, and the day care on the outskirts, it had a lot, although Saffron may have been large in size, it just felt like a big block of land with too many closed doors
>>
Why do none of the Hoenn cities feel like one the big cities? Rustboro, Slateport, and Lilycove were all pretty big, but for some reason I don't get that big city feel from them, and none come to mind when I think of the biggest cities in each region.

Why ORAS Mauville doesn't feel like one goes without saying.
>>
>>33311439
Celadon only feels big because of that giant empty space in the western portion.
>>
>>33311344
No? Celadon, Goldenrod, Slateport, and Lilycove exist. Did you forget that Gamefreak made games before gen 4?
>>
>>33311344
Celdaon, Saffron, Goldenrod. All feel bigger the jubifile. Regardless, Jubifile doesn't feel like a big city either, none of these really do, the first instance was Castelia and then Lumiose.
>>
>>33311568
Rustboro had fuck anything to do for the player besides the gym, and the other two are seaside cities, which happen to be widely populated but have a different atmosphere from your regular city.
>>
>No mention of Olivine City
Best city in Johto.
>>
>>33311672
>>
>>33311679
>tfw everything looks bigger when playing the game
>>
>>33311344
Nah, Goldenrod. Jubilife was utterly forgettable. Of course, that's that generation in a nutshell, really. Forgettable.
>>
>Goldenrod

No. Stop being a Sinnohfetus.
>>
>>33311688
>Johtoddler
The only reason Johto is relevant today is because of HG/SS, which is gen 4.
>>
>>33311684
Tiny, low resolution Gameboy screen will do that.
>>
>>33311691
Johto is relevant because it's an expansion pack to Gen 1 and rides on the coattails of its popularity. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>33311376
And a lot of enterable houses.
>>
>>33311344
Pokemon was still good during DP, it has been slowly getting shittier and shittier these days. I liked ORAS because it paid good tribute to my true childhood games while adding some interesting stuff but Sun and Moon/USUM just is lacking to me.
>>
>>33311344
Goldenrod
>>
File: 1455222117321.jpg (14KB, 286x309px) Image search: [Google]
1455222117321.jpg
14KB, 286x309px
>Ever Grande "City"
>>
Celadon, Saffron, Goldenrod did before Jubilife

/thread
>>
>>33311376
Honestly, for me Hau'oli still managed to come off as a fairly large place. It wasn't huge like Castelia or Lumiose (for a Pokémon game, anyways), but it did have that "in real life, this would feel like a living, breathing city" vibe. It helped that the streets looked pretty realistic.

Malie, and to an extent Heahea, also felt like decently sized cities to me, especially if you count all the surrounding and nearby locations. The rest were just smaller towns, but I think that's what they were supposed to feel like, anyways (although I do wish Poni Island had gotten at least one more settlement besides Seafolk Village and, well, Hapu's house).

I think places like Castelia and Lumiose went a step further in terms of actual, in-game size because those cities are simply supposed to be that much bigger in-universe, like their real-life counterparts. As a result, they relied less on imagination.
>>
>>33311457
>it's location
>it is location
Its.
>>
>>33311344
Nigga, Celadon and Saffron felt big and still do
>>
>>33311620
Celadon had several tall buildings that makes exploration in the city longer than others. Plus there is a backdoor to the condominium and several trees you can cut to explore some hidden alleys
>>
Celadon and Saffron felt pretty big to me the first time I saw them.
>>
>>33311344
Alognside the already mentioned, there are a few of the late game cities in Hoenn
>>
>>33311362
Castelia was so comfy
>>
>>33311354
It felt like an actual city in the sense that I hated being there and couldn't wait to leave, yeah.
>>
>>33311344
I always assumed the four houses was an abstraction for game play purposes. This is a large city, but there's really only a few destinations of note for me, the player, so it simplifies it down to those. Celedon even goes one step further and adds some extra buildings to really give the feel of size, but it's barely needed assuming you have an imagination.
>>
>>33311568
Hoenn wasn't supposed to be hugely populated like Kanto and to a lesser extent Johto. It was supposed to be the new tropical region far away from the metropolitan "Tokyo" area.

Hence the story's focus on nature and weather.
>>
File: 1485476305159.png (164KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485476305159.png
164KB, 400x800px
*blocks your path*
>>
>>33315651
That doesn't seem totally right. Hoenn may be less populated than Kanto, but it has a lot more towns than Johto, and multiple big, populated cities. Real life Kyushu is less populated than Kantou and Kansai (which have the two biggest cities in Japan), but it's not particularly low either. If anything, Sinnoh would probably be pretty sparsely populated like real life Hokkaidou, with almost half its population in Jubilife.
>>
>>33311369
Well they probably didn't want literally half of Melemele to be Hau'oli City
>>
>>33315679
Wow, nice """city"""
>>
>>33311344
As a kid I thought both Saffron and Celladon looked like proper cities. Goldenrod in Gen II even more so.
>>
>>33311974
>>33315679
Was there any reason they called it a city other than to troll kids when they got to victory road?
>>
File: Biggest city.png (2MB, 2852x710px) Image search: [Google]
Biggest city.png
2MB, 2852x710px
>>33311344
>>33311433
Celadon and Cerulena is pushing it

>>33311348
Goldenrod and Saffron felt pretty huge in Gen 2, and in Gen 4 they feel even bigger. Jubilife was a tiny bit too small for me
>>
>>33315679
I always thought it was weird that it was called a city, not what I was expecting at all with the name 'Evergrande City'. It was called Saiyū City originally so it wasn't even a translation issue either. Evergrande Plateau would have been a better name.
>>
>>33311433
I agree on Lilycove, but it's kinda just a big chunk of land with a bunch of buildings. I wish they would've made it into some sort of a resort beach town instead of just copy/pasting the original and making it 3D
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.