[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to play this game What are some good early guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: PS_GBC_PokemonCrystal_enGB.jpg (133KB, 456x452px) Image search: [Google]
PS_GBC_PokemonCrystal_enGB.jpg
133KB, 456x452px
I'm about to play this game

What are some good early guys to throw in my team? If you've played crystal what was your team?
>>
pretty much your only options until kanto are pidgey and ratatta. play polished crystal instead
>>
Totodile runs through this game.
Abra runs through this game if you use something else to beat Whitney.
Crystal allows you to catch an early Teddiursa which can do work with the early Return/Headbutt TMs.
>>
>>33281361
Latest playthrough I ran

Jynx
Lapras
Cloyster
Dewgong
Sneasel
Piloswine
>>
File: dunsparce.jpg (15KB, 267x150px) Image search: [Google]
dunsparce.jpg
15KB, 267x150px
>>
File: 1369612216316.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1369612216316.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>33281427
You surely had a chilled playthrough.
>>
>>33281361
If you can find a Tediursa without it taking forever, it will wreck half the game.
Geodude and poliwag arent bad shouts either.
>>
>beat the 2nd gym
>go to the forest and get headbutt
>return to the town with the 2nd gym
>headbutt the tress over and over
You'll now have Aipom and Heracross. People who say Gen 2 only allows you to use Gen 1 Pokemon never bothered to actually look for them, clearly.
>>
My team was

Typloshion. Recommended
Ariados. Not recommended
Quagsire. Recommended especially for the last battle
Sudowoodo. Not recommended but it's fun to use
Jolteon. Recommended
Dragonite. If you want to grind to evolve it yes it's rewarding
>>
>>33281535
What's special about aipom

also

>heracross
>no fighting moves
>only learns bug move at 54
>>
>>33281578
>Rock Smash and Fury Cutter
>kek
>>
>>33281588
>rock smash 20 power
>fury cutter 10 power first hit
>>
>>33281535
GS was very much a sequel to RB in that a lot of the new mons were out of your way or hidden.
In headbutt trees, in kanto, by a new volution method, in hidden areas of caves or ruins, breeding...
There were only half the game threw directly in your path.

Having said that, by doing none of those things building a gen II only team is still entirely do able because it's a 100 mon dex and you'll find some of it.
>>
>>33281361
Pic related
>>
Pineco is in Ilex, which may not be early enough for you. Forretress gets no stabs unless you breed or TM, but it's got a weirdly unique movepool for it's first appearance
>>
>>33281630
why do so many pokemon in gen 2 lack stab moves?
>>
>>33281635
They introduced like 20 new moves total, it was super lazy mode
>>
>>33281630
Forretress, especially Gen II Forretress, is a complete garbage Pokémon as far as ingame Pokémon go.

Have fun running to the Center constantly because your Forretress can't deal damage without killing itself in the process (Selfdestruct, Take Down, Explosion, Double-Edge, Bide...)
>>
>>33281494
dont try to be funny ever again
>>
>>33281361
>johto
>good early guys
>>
I had:

Feraligatr (fun)
Sudowoodo (fun)
Fearow (prefer dodrio but fun too)
venomoth (hard until you get psybeam)
growlithe (trash because getting a fire stone pre-e4 is literal rng)
victreebell (luck, but sludge bomb and fury cutter do a lot of damage)

a lot of your available pokemon pre-e4 are really limited. lacks of stones, evo pokemon being trade locked or hidden in kanto really sucked
>>
Post more teams
>>
>>33282054
My friend and I are streaming a nuzlocke currently of Soul Silver (mancavetheshow on twitch). We just beat the 3rd gym. Our team is:
-Quilava (we've done Totodile on previous nuzlockes)
-Bellsprout
-Geodude
-Togepi
-Pidgey
-Kenya the Spearow from the dude after Goldenrod

Most of our guys are ~16-18. We'll be continuing tomorrow night if you wanna join in.
>>
>>33281361
Mareep is pretty much your bread and butter electric type and once it's Ampharos you can steamroll most of E4 with that mofugga.

Mudlord and Noctowl perform well
Victreebel and Arbok for taking care of status effects and weakening mons so you can catch them.

Heracross is pretty fucking strong if you need a fighting type and bug type.

forget about Yanma and Dunsparce. it will take ages until you find them.

replace Noctowl later on with Skarmory because that thing is only late game available.

also, Red Gyarados is a tank.

as a starter it really doesn't matter if you have Typhlosion or Feraligatr. Both are the same quality choice. Meganium not all that much but it works.
>>
>>33281466
good luck finding that piece of shit.
>>
>>33282784
There are no Mareep in Crystal.
>>
>>33282805
well, fuck. I actually thought about that but I wasn't sure. I'm a goldfag. I started out playing gold only so I assumed crystal would have such a signature pokemon.
>>
>>33281773
>growlithe (trash because getting a fire stone pre-e4 is literal rng)
You can scum for phone calls by repeatedly asking your mom to change the daylight savings settings. The game thinks an hour has passed, so it triggers a phone call.

Works even better if you decide to only get the numbers of the people who give out stones.
>>
>>33281361
I played through it last year I think. My team was like

Meganium
Slowbro
Heracross
Golem
Arcanine
Azumaril
Espeon

The only one I didn't like was Heracross. Which is a shame, because I love Heracross.
>>
Are there any dark types you can even really get before post game?
>>
>>33283318
Umbreon.
>>
>>33283248
>play silver
>get eevee
>haircut every time it's available
>feed vitamins
>level up to 40
>never faints
>used in every gym battle
>beat elite four and it still didn't evolve

The fuck
>>
>>33283318

Umbreon, and Sneasel is in Ice Path at night and Super rare, but it's trash. Umbreon is basically your only option.

Geodude is always a good option in Johto. Hoppip is more common in Crystal and surprisingly underrated, but it's not quick to play. It's a Sleep Powder Leech Seed Headbutt flinch kind of staller but it's pretty fun to use.
>>
>>33283362
How the fuck do you get an umbreon early
>>
I always dump my starter for a Poliwag early game.

>>33281773
Seconding Venomoth.
>>
>>33281466
Yeah Dunsparce with Rollout fucking steamrolls the first two gyms easily.
>>
File: 1383633403310.jpg (310KB, 716x716px) Image search: [Google]
1383633403310.jpg
310KB, 716x716px
OP here

contenders

>feraligator
>typholision
>meganium
>poliwrath
>alakazam
>ursaring
>quagsire
>jolteon
>umbreon
>espeon
>dragonite
>venomoth
>victreebel
>slowbro
>arcanine
>azumaril

non contenders (because I've used them in previous runs)

>golem
>fearow
>dudrio
>noctowl

Thanks for all the info
>>
>>33283641
if I may choose your team:

Typhlosion
Poliwrath
Ursaring
Umbreon

also, I really like Noctowl and Heracross, so that's it
>>
Surprised noone's mentioned Furret, absolute tank once you get the ball rolling and he can learn flamethrower, surf etc for a really varied set. I'm currently working on a full dex in Gen II so I can game boy print em all
fml
>>
>>33283964
I want to replay gold on virtual console. What do you prefer Ursaring or Furret?
>>
>>33284001
I'm not clued in on Ursaring's stats but Furret's definitely more accessible in Gold, you can't get a teddiursa till at least the last city by which point you'd have to level it up anyway.
>>
>>33283472
Evolve Eevee? Retard.
>>
>>33283641
espeon is good because there aren't many darkfags anyway in Johto. Murkrow you can fuck over with electric attacks and stone.
>>
>>33283641
get Victreebel for sure.
Bellsprout is so early in the game and remember you can catch two of them and trade one for Onix so you can get Steelix later in the game. that Onix gets boosted exp as well obviously and it's the earliest trademon you can receive.
>>
>>33283362
Sneasel isn't that bad. I mean, I used TMs on it and ir basically OHKO'd everything
>>
>>33284109
see >>33283326
>>
my last run i remember for crystal was:
Feraligatr
Ampharos
Espeon
???
???
???

Other i remember:
Typlhosion
Magneton
Pidgeot
and lvl 10-20 marill that can take The elite 4 onix earthquake. (this is real lmao)
>>
>>33282784
> Skarmory

I seriously keep forgetting it's a Gen 2 mon.
>>
>>33284466
why though?
aesthetically it really looks like Gen 2.
Gen 3 would have over-designed it probably.
>>
>>33284466
it's such a bitch to catch. harder to catch than a legendary mon. I swear to fucking God.
>>
>>33284481
Because >>33284489 and it's quite rare. You can easily miss out on it. In Gen 3 they were everywhere in that route with the ash from the volcano.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.