[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss ideas to remove and replace the random encounter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: dexnav-1.jpg (22KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
dexnav-1.jpg
22KB, 400x240px
Let's discuss ideas to remove and replace the random encounter system that still plagues Pokémon to this day. Maybe DexNav could replace it entirely if some tweaks were made to improve it?
>>
Why they don't just make it like Earthbound or Dragon quest?

Or any IP that improves over the years?
>>
>>33226830
What's wrong with the random encounter system?
>>
>>33226975
It's annoying.
>>
>>33226978
Explain. Random encounters make nuzlockes possible and make the first experience different for each player since the first mon they encounter won't be the same.
>>
File: 6707047757605ddf893f56-66087269.jpg (788KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
6707047757605ddf893f56-66087269.jpg
788KB, 2000x1125px
>>33226830
maybe not this coming gen, but i could imagine pokemon moving onto a heavily modified botw engine. not sure how much sharing the different nintendo studios do. but they could just spawn monsters in the woods every so often and let them loose in the over world, and you could just attack them with a pokemon to start combat, or they might attack you to start combat, and then move into a modified control scheme for overworld combat thats like the current pokemon combat.
i'm currently working on a demo of a game that does this, but it has a ways to go as i'm just one man army-ing it. not that hard though i just don't have a lot of free time.
>>
>>33226830
Why bother?
Enemies only appear in small set areas in the game. What would be the point?
>>
>>33226830
Random encounters are part of what make the games fun.
>>
>>33226992
It's annoying to be dragged into battles when you're trying to explore the overworld and especially caves. You have to watch the wild Pokémon appear, watch yourself send out your own Pokémon, and then click run every time. Sure it doesn't sound like much, but it adds up. If you've been playing since Gen 1, how many hours of your life don't you think you've spent doing that?

>makes nuzlockes possible
The game shouldn't be designed around players that willingly choose to restrain and gimp themselves with self-imposed rules. We just need a proper hard mode.
>>
>>33227000
>le breath of the wild maymay
>>
>>33227022
Have you ever heard of this neat product called repels? They sell them in regular, super, and max versions.
>>
ORAS already got it perfect, having both random and symbol encounters.

>but random encounters are annoying!

Use repels you fucking casual.
>>
>>33226992
>make the first experience different for each player since the first mon they encounter won't be the same.

It will be pretty much the same

The player encounters a rattata or pidgey randomly on the grass

The player walks up to the Pokemon(Probably the same ones since is their first route) that appeared on the route then encounters ocurres

If you dislike seeing which mon you will encounter so much then maybe an ambiguous shadow instead of the mon model
>>
>>33227000
So basically digimon world?

While it sounds cool on paper, i don't think it could work for pokemon.
>it would make grinding harder, since you would have to exit the zone and come back to have the pokemon respawn, or you would need to make respawn points for the pokemon
>It would limit the variety and abundance of pokemon in a zone, also it would make harder to look for a shiny
>it would be hard and awkward to show water pokemon when surfing
>it would be annoying to be walking and suddenly seeing a pokemon blocking the entrance to the next zone
>>
>>33227026
May you never be loved.
>>
>>33226830

Already said this, but Pokemon could add a repel machine that you load with repels and turn off and on from the bag. You still need to buy repels and obviously the machine would turn off if you run out, but it'd be way more streamlined than what we have now even if it has improved.
>>
>>33226830
There are incredibly few places where you're required to actually walk in grass more than a handful of seconds in SM.

It's to the point that it's a problem, because the rate of finding Pokémon that aren't fucking Gumshoos and Raticate is so low and you spend so little time in grass that you're unlikely to organically come across anything decent.

Making Pokémon into symbol battles would actually help solve this problem because players still have to fight shitmons if they make them fast enough but also makes them go after rare things they spot.

I feel like that's what GF have kept experimenting with but they're too afraid to change it completely.
>>
>>33226884
Underrated.
>>
File: pokemon-repel.png (96KB, 295x436px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-repel.png
96KB, 295x436px
>>33227022
>>
Nothing wrong with random encounters imo. If you want, just do more of what BW and XY and SM do with the unique and different ways to encounter mons alongside random encounters - they're leaning that way anyway so it looks like you'll be partially satisfied.
>>
>>33226978
the game gives you multiple items to avoid random encounters
>>
The autism of this thread. I'm sick to my stomach. No you can't remove a core aspect of the game you fucking sperg.
>>
>>33227109
>So basically digimon world?
I haven't played digimon world so I can't comment.
>it would make grinding harder, since you would have to exit the zone and come back to have the pokemon respawn, or you would need to make respawn points for the pokemon
>It would limit the variety and abundance of pokemon in a zone, also it would make harder to look for a shiny
I think it just depends how its all put together. The demo I'm working on isn't exactly like botw or pokemon, so idk it has its own quirks unique to the genre. For pokemon it could just mean that when you walk in tall grass, after a certain random number of steps it spawns something outside of your vision in the grass somewhere, which either looks for you or hides from you depending.
>it would be hard and awkward to show water pokemon when surfing
I'm not sure I follow why.
>it would be annoying to be walking and suddenly seeing a pokemon blocking the entrance to the next zone
yeah but this happens anyway in pokemon, you just can't see it. like if you're in a cave and get into a battle right before the exit.
>>33227026
whatever man. all I'm saying is the overworld interactions in botw were cool, and nintendo has stake in both games, obviously. I'm personally not a proponent of (fully) open world pokemon, if thats what you're referring to.
>>
>>33227176
>For pokemon it could just mean that when you walk in tall grass, after a certain random number of steps it spawns something outside of your vision in the grass somewhere, which either looks for you or hides from you depending.
What if i'm not looking for that pokemon?, will i need to touch it and then click on run away to make it despawn or will i need to leave the zone and go back and then try to walk on the bushes to see if this time i get the pokemon i want?

>I'm not sure I follow why.
you probably couldn't see the full model of the water pokemon because most of it's body would be underwater, so you end up looking at the top of the pokemon head, which would make it very awkward and literally a ''what's that pokemon!'' kind of situation.

>yeah but this happens anyway in pokemon, you just can't see it. like if you're in a cave and get into a battle right before the exit.
that's why i use repel on caves, and grass is very very rarely used on the entrance of another zone.

>I haven't played digimon world so I can't comment.
It has what you described, digimons are overworld and you can try to run pass them but if you touch them you enter what is basically a cockfight simulator, where you yell orders to your digimon in real time and pray that it doesn't just goof around and get beaten.
>>
>>33227000
Dear Lord,

Please don’t let this happen

Thanks.
>>
>>33227228
>What if i'm not looking for that pokemon?, will i need to touch it and then click on run away to make it despawn or will i need to leave the zone and go back and then try to walk on the bushes to see if this time i get the pokemon i want?
ah okay these are legitimate concerns. maybe there could be an item or action or something that respawns everything? like set up camp, or a poke-horn you play to spook old pokemon/summon new pokemon, or something.
maybe the oveworld pokemon in the grass would just look like a spot of disturbed grass or something, and you don't know what it is until you battle it, and running despawns it.
>>33227228
>you probably couldn't see the full model of the water pokemon because most of it's body would be underwater, so you end up looking at the top of the pokemon head, which would make it very awkward and literally a ''what's that pokemon!'' kind of situation.
eh they could figure something out. to be honest overworld pokemon dont even make sense with most water types in battle so idk what the fix is. its kind of an abstraction that has been outgrown by modern gaming largely.
>>
>maybe the oveworld pokemon in the grass would just look like a spot of disturbed grass or something, and you don't know what it is until you battle it, and running despawns it.

Pokémon already does this occasionally
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.