[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What type of rival(s) do you want to see in future Pokemon games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: n2Mylfs.png (86KB, 192x425px) Image search: [Google]
n2Mylfs.png
86KB, 192x425px
What type of rival(s) do you want to see in future Pokemon games or fan games? The image doesn't reflect my opinions, by the way.
>>
>>33154637
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VitriolicBestBuds
>>
I want a rival that becomes a gym leader as a point of the story. Their aspiration isn't to become champion, but to become a gym leader. And they succeed. And that's your last main story battle with them. It seems nice to me.

Other ideas I think are nice are some things like:
>opposing MC is your sibling, and there is a LOT of ideas that can mess with this, but the most obvious is sibling rivalry
>rival joins the evil team and the moral dilemmas that ensue are part of the plot
>laid-back rival that can casually kick your bum if you don't prepare properly and is surprised, but not salty, when you beat him
>a completely optional rival that you can challenge yourself occasionally
>rival is the champion already low-key, and the elite four already know you and you only go through them and fight the main champ as courtest (because you've technically already beaten him lots of times)

Lots of stuff they could do
>>
>>33154710

>rival joins the evil team and the moral dilemmas that ensue are part of the plot

This Edgy rival joins the obvious evil team
And friendly rival joins the "Good" team and eventually become admins.
>>
>>33154637
I want a rival who starts out as the cheerful, friendly type like Hau and Bianca, but as the game goes on and you constantly kick their ass they get more and more pissed off until they absolutely fucking hate your guts by the end of the game.
>>
>>33154650
>unironcally linking to tvtropes
End your life at the soonest possible moment.
>>
>>33154921
>haha look at me i don't enjoy common sites because i'm EDUCATED, get on my level!
The calling card of the underage.
>>
A rival doing a Nuzlocke.

The first battle is a guaranteed win.
>>
File: fag card.jpg (41KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
fag card.jpg
41KB, 512x512px
>>33154637
A rival that starts off apathetic to pokemon battles, but gets progressively more pissed off and competitive as you beat him. Like a less friendly Hau.
>>33154650
>>33154929
Next you'll say 'there is literally nothing wrong with posting on reddit'
>>
A douche rival who already became champion and battles you with a full team of Lv.100 Pokemon because they're bored of what the region has to offer.
>>
File: 372.png (163KB, 392x324px) Image search: [Google]
372.png
163KB, 392x324px
Pic related, the character.

A high-ranking evil team guy who you caught on a bad day and managed to beat with your low-level shitmons.
He gets demoted every time he loses to you. Eventually he gets demoted all the way to janitor, and he just tells you to fuck off if you talk to him.

Encounter him postgame and he reveals that the only reason you kept beating him was because he was in charge of raising shitmons, and you never battled his actual team.

I'm not sure what would make him more pic related, if his actual team was a bunch of shitmons, or if he had a team of fully evolved high level mons.
>>
>>33154637
A rival that only plays the pokemon card game.
>>
I want a rival that is a real contestant to your title, not just a pushover who would thank you for defeating him/her
>>
>>33157564
Just like the ones in the first two generations, right? I'd like such rivals to come back as well. If I remember correctly, Barry was pretty underwhelming compared to Gary.
>>
>>33154637
I just want it to be more immersive. It needs to be about the Pokémon world itself.
Pokémon lore is a fucking shambles.

I want gorgeous and interesting towns and cities that are worth revisiting and getting lost in.
I want a dex of 300 or so that isn't crammed with Genwun for the sake of it. At least half of the mons should be brand new. RSE and BW2 did it right.
I want Inver to be some sort of orphan whose abilities are abused by the evil team.
I want gym leaders to have character, a backstory, a hierarchy.

I want them to stop fucking removing good and/or interesting stuff. Why are Apricorn Balls specific to Johto? Why are secret bases confined to Hoenn? Why are hidden grottos only in Unova? These things should all be improved upon game after game in a journey towards perfection but GF outright refuse.

idgaf about movesets, stats etc, just make it an experience to get lost in.
>>
>>33157712
Who's Inver?
>>
>>33157712
wrong thread
>>
File: Superman_Action_976_Gary_Frank.png (117KB, 288x384px) Image search: [Google]
Superman_Action_976_Gary_Frank.png
117KB, 288x384px
This sounds really stupid, but I like it.
>Rival really into superheroes
>Dons superhero costume based on starter
>Becomes [starter]boy
>His identity is quite obvious due to his appearance and mannerisms
>Addresses you as an "evildoer" for doing really trivial things such as littering
>Helps out the antagonsts, thinking they're good guys
>Becomes a "vigilante" and huge pop culture icon
>The "you're the bad guy" thing is more apparent
>Final rival battle is being filmed for the news or something
>After the battle ends, [starter] boy takes off his mask
>He realizes he was helping the bad guys all along
>Climatic battle is a double battle with you and your rival battling against the evil team's leader
>Addresses you as his sidekick from then on
>Gives you your own name and costume based on your starter
>Sidequests where you and your rival are a crime-fighting duo
>You do most of the work anyway
>>
>>33157733
The psychic kid that fights you in inverse battles, where super effective attacks become not very effective and vice versa.
>>
>>33157811
I dig it.
I have one of the gym leaders in my game being this sort of.
He has less of an impact in the story though so yours sounds more interesting.
>>
>>33157811
That sounds hilarious. It almost sounds like something gf would do, too.
>>
>>33157878
Thanks. I'm glad you like it. I wanted to go for something fun and silly.
>>33157869
It's funny that you mentioned rom hacking. My original idea was to put him in my own hack. All I have left of the hack is a few screenshots, a barely functional early version, and a run-down Weebly site. My computer hit the shitter, so I've lost most of the files. If my hard drive isn't fucked, I may continue it.
>>
I'd like a rival that adapts to your team.

If you beat him one time, next time you see him he'll have the same number of Pokémon as you had in your last battle and they'll be specifically picked to counter your team.

If you lose to your rival you don't get a game over, instead he keeps mostly the same team with higher levels and some slight adjustments to moves for to better counter your last team.

Thus you'd have a boss that grows alongside you and serves as the ultimate gauge of progress. A literal rival.

The final battle with him is directly formed around the team you used for the Elite Four.

I don't think an algorithm for choosing a counter team would be that difficult.
>>
>>33157967
Maybe algorithm would be a lot of hassle, but you can always control which Pokemon the player encounters and counter most of them
>>
File: Gpimp.jpg (59KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
Gpimp.jpg
59KB, 170x200px
>>33154637
Someone like Gary Oak
>>
File: IMG_4789.jpg (194KB, 770x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4789.jpg
194KB, 770x1200px
Nigga that's gyro zeppeli
>>
>>33157811
>Helps out the antagonsts, thinking they're good guys
>>Becomes a "vigilante" and huge pop culture icon
>>The "you're the bad guy" thing is more apparent

hey yes, i was posting something like that. A rival that wants glory and fame, and thinks you are evil
>>
File: download (7).jpg (11KB, 180x280px) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
11KB, 180x280px
>She's a very rich, shallow and snotty girl,
>the daughter of the champion or an elite four member and flaunts about it
>she's famous/popular ,
>she thinks you are a loser but is forced to team with you against the evil team because she was in the wrong place in the wrong time.

I want a female silver, but not with a so dark background again, she just despise you but later grow to respect or even admire you.
>>
File: Handsome_Jack.png (116KB, 185x491px) Image search: [Google]
Handsome_Jack.png
116KB, 185x491px
>>33159195
>A rival that wants glory and fame, and thinks you are evil
So, basically Handsome Jack?
>>
>>33155234
Actual good pokémon (Pseudos, Gyarados, big things with high BST in general) but very low leveled since he hasn't had time to train them since he had to take care of the shitmons.
>>
>>33154637
Actually a rival who works for the evil organization and considers you a stepping stone in his plans. Then he manages to take over as the new leader of said organization, takes over the league and you must defeat him in the league to free the region from his hands. Afterwards he curses you and commits suicide instead of realizing his wrongs. You end up raising his Pokémon in the end.
>>
>>33154921
There's literally nothing wrong with tvtropes
>>
A rival who starts off seeming mundane but gradually becomes indoctrinated by the evil team. Maybe each run in with them he realizes a bit more that he understands their standpoint and sides with them. Ultimately when you infiltrate their base or whatever at the climax he tries to stop you from doing it.
>>
>>33154637
I'd actually like seeing a game with multiple rivals that are each competent and form a great group dynamic.

>Rival A
The first would be an extremely energetic party animal rival. He's the one you consider your best friend, he starts off with you on the journey choosing the pokemon whose type is supereffective against yours. He comes off as douchey not because he's actively trying to be a prick but because he never takes anything seriously yet always seems to come off as one step ahead of you, and he's completely aware of the fact that he's better than most people despite how nonchalant he comes across. He's always hitting on girls and constantly complains about being broke (it's heavily implied that he blows it all partying). He's always trying to bum money and pokeballs and various items off of you. After losing to you a few times he starts becoming more serious culminating in his final battle with you at the end of Victory Road where he's completely stonefaced and serious giving it his all. After losing again he comes to the realization that there's no point trying to be something he's not just to one-up you, he goes back to his convivial ways in the post-game but acts more responsible than before.

>Rival B
To contrast with him there needs to be a completely serious and stoic rival. Him and Rival A are always at odds with each other, Rival B passively insults him constantly implying that Rival A is stupid and full himself while Rival A gets mad at him often. Rival B is obsessed with mythology mainly considering legendary pokemon, he's the only rival who actually catches a legendary and, unlike N, actually keeps it throughout the game. He beats the pokemon league before you do but doesn't choose to become the next champion, instead he explains to you that he only did it out of curiosity and nothing more. Your final fight with him is in the post-game when you hunt the final legendary.
>>
It could be kind of cool to have your mom/dad as a rival, like maybe they didn't get the chance to set off on a Pokemon journey when they were your age so they decide to do it when you do for a missed opportunity or whatever.
>>
i reaqlly liked the rival in black 2
>>
>>33159486
>Rival C
The endearing moralfag rival. He constantly talks about Looker and how much he idolizes him. He constantly criticizes Rival's A & B, A for being irresponsible and degenerate, and B for amoral and apathetic towards everything. He's a member of the International Police and is always involved in Looker sidequests and matters involving the evil team. While all the rivals are there in the final fight with the evil team, he's the one who's with you the most during the events. As the game progresses he gets higher and higher in rank. During the post-game he ranks high enough to be seen as equals in the organization to members like Looker and Anabel (and Nanu) and at the very end he becomes the vice president in the organization.

>Rival D
He's a few years older than you and the other rivals, his main pokemon is whatever starter you chose. He's meant to be an older version of your character whose life mirrors your events throughout the game. He comes off as a mentor-type character. He monitors your progress and as you get stronger and stronger he starts letting you fight more and more of his actual team culminating in the post-game where you fight his full team that's at the same level as Red's in HGSS. He reveals at the end that he purposefully got involved in your journey solely to make you stronger because he wanted to finally meet a trainer that could rival him again ever since he beat the champion. He has an easygoing personality but isn't as irresponsible as Rival A, in most situations involving the group he's the voice of reason but due to him being the oldest one there (also being the only one there who's actually completed his pokemon journey) he's not as involved in the story as the other three, mostly just dropping by at the end of events in the game to congratulate you.
>>
>>33159378
so a mix of n and giovanni?
>>
>>33159486
too many rivals. knowing game freak, it would be like the xy rivals, and they are terrible.
>>
File: 1360417-ka_super[1].jpg (66KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
1360417-ka_super[1].jpg
66KB, 600x380px
>>33157811
>Addresses you as his sidekick from then on
>Gives you your own name and costume based on your starter
>Sidequests where you and your rival are a crime-fighting duo
>You do most of the work anyway

Competent sidekick, stupid main hero, I love this formula
>>
>>33155234
>JUST: the character
Serena/Calem already is a thing
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.