[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vp/ think of the Tapus lorewise, aesthetically and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

What does /vp/ think of the Tapus lorewise, aesthetically and competitively? Also which one is your favorite and why if applicable.
>>
I don't play competitively, but from what I understand, each of the Tapus does pretty well. Their design is pretty cool and fits with the region, and the lore of island guardians is cool. Personally, my favorite is Tapu Koko. I feel like it's design and typing are just more interesting.
>>
I think Bulu should be Fairy/Fire and Fini Fairy/Ghost.
Why? Because they absorb the nutrients from the soil each island. So, if Oricorio change between Electric/Psychic/Fire/Ghost with the flowers and that's what gives the colors to the Tapu's shell, they should have the same type.
>>
>>33130593
One of the best legendary groups desu. I love their lore and how we finally have the bitchy nature spirit asshole fey the Fairy typing should have had from the start. I also like how they're all different life stages with Lele as a curious child, Koko as a hotheaded teen, Fini as an exhausted adult, and finally Bulu as a retired elder.

Lele is probably my favorite, since it embodies the spirit of the evil fey the most I guess.
>>
>>33131022
Aren't they all kind of asshole fairies though?
>>
>>33131003
I remember people arguing that the Tapus would 100% be those types because of Oricorio. Not saying anything about whether they "should be" or not, but I'm glad they aren't, personally.
>>
>>33130593
>lorewise
Could be better actually. I feel they were just hinted at in part of the story. It's better than other similar legendary groups but could still be better.

>aesthetically
Pretty good actually. There should be one for everyone. I liked Koko the most at first but Bulu really looks great on closer inspection.

>competitively
They are great and not totally broken. I'm glad they all get to be great competitively which is rarely the case for similar legendary groups. I still wish there was a way to clear terrain effects without another one. I hate stuff that can't be countered like Megas and Terrain. It feels like without it you are bound to lose.

Overall a solid 8/10.
>>
>>33130593
Favorite legendary group by far. Probably one of the few designs I'd consider "objective quality"(the animal shells gives them a tribal vibe). Like what >>33131022 said, I'm satisfied that they are now enforcing traditional, unkind fair folk than the cutesy ones. It seemed that they played too safe with the Fairy designs last gen which resulted a massive disappointment(there were exceptions like Mawile,Whimiscott, Klefki, Xerneas, etc but it wasn't expanded upon as much which is why it was considered the type for cutemons and waifubait(yes Mawile is based on a woman yokai but its concept isn't friendly and was always classified as a deceiver).

Bulu is my absolute favorite of the four. I like the "blockyness" of the design's shape. Almost if it's a spirit made of wood.
>>
>>33130593
Lele is a pretty top tier waifu
>>
File: kf3j4vqdkvux.png (115KB, 1151x1459px) Image search: [Google]
kf3j4vqdkvux.png
115KB, 1151x1459px
Love them, especially Tapu Koko
They fit the region really well and I like how distinctive they all are

While the Mega Man Yellow Devil Z-Move is pretty cool, I hope USUM lets them do the totem pole thing we all thought they would do in the pre release, even if it's just an actual totem pole decoration in a town or something
>>
Whos ready for them to turn into the animals they resembles as an alternate form next game?
>>
File: MIGHTY NEED.gif (2MB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
MIGHTY NEED.gif
2MB, 500x330px
>>33132261
>THERIAN TAPUS
>>
>>33130593
I'm quite intrigued by the fact Lele just chose Olivia for the sole purpose of cockblocking her, and also because her scales give people hypercancer
>>
>>33132293
How does lele cockblock her?
>>
File: 1481762777689.png (736KB, 881x963px) Image search: [Google]
1481762777689.png
736KB, 881x963px
>>33132269
bow down to the king of the meta
>>
File: Tapu-Bulu-GX.SM.32.18068.png (1MB, 564x795px) Image search: [Google]
Tapu-Bulu-GX.SM.32.18068.png
1MB, 564x795px
Didn't like Koko at first, but they grow on you.

Also, pretty damn good at a competitive level.
>>
>>33132312
From what I remember, people don't want to get associated with Olivia because of Lele, hence why she's single and has a collection of stuffuls.
>>
>>33132261
>>33132269
This could actually happen,
The Hawaiian gods they're based off were closely associated with different animals, and had different forms depending on which ones
>>
File: Tapu-Lele-GX.GRI.60.17369.png (850KB, 570x793px) Image search: [Google]
Tapu-Lele-GX.GRI.60.17369.png
850KB, 570x793px
>>
From a lore standpoint, I think they are depicted as assholes and further illustrate SM's reoccurring theme of "out with the old, in with the new". Mother to daughter, trial system from tradition to new world league, old deities to overwhelming invasive species.
>>
TAPU THREAD PLS
>>
>>33132636
Isnt that what this is?
>>
>>33131003
Holy shit not this theory again
Jump off a bridge
>>
File: IMG_6238.jpg (335KB, 627x903px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6238.jpg
335KB, 627x903px
>>33132636
OKAY

TAPU LELE IS A BITCH BUT ALSO A GUARDIAN, WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
>>
>>33130593
Why they are based in a rooster, bull, swordfish and butterfly?

It's part of some hawaiian myth or tale? or just random choice of animals?
>>
File: IMG_6311.gif (112KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6311.gif
112KB, 480x640px
Tapu Lele is cute! CUTE!
>>
Post opinions

Lele > Bulu > Koko > Fini
>>
>>33130593
>lorewise
They had a nice lore built for them and missed that opportunity to make use of it. Everything got shafted aside from tapu koko and that sucked.
>aesthetically
it's a good group design-wise. Fits Hawaii well and all. My favorite design is Tapu Fini cause it looks like a shell siren and does it better than primarina. It also has a cool cry. Least favorite is Bulu cause meh type and I'm not a fan of cattle
>Competitively
well everyone knows they're op. I like seeing/using Lele or Koko the most in battles
>>
>>33132691
Something's wrong with that. Doesn't Lele's hair supposed to go up when the shell closes?
>>
>>33132713
bulu > koko > lele > fini

according to smogon :)
>>
>>33132072
>While the Mega Man Yellow Devil Z-Move is pretty cool
It's based on Doshin the Giant.
>>
>>33132072
actually when lele hides in the shell her black thing at the bottom becomes lower
>>
>>33132868
Fuck smogon
>>
File: Tapu Koko New Form.png (3MB, 4360x4360px) Image search: [Google]
Tapu Koko New Form.png
3MB, 4360x4360px
>>33132269
Real?
>>
>>33132933
no, but a rather cool fake
>>
>>33132955
Yeah, found the artist on Twitter.
Said his friend is working on Lele & Bulu.
>>
>>33132933
I like this a lot more than original Koko. Come to think of it, I never considered the Tapus getting new formes.
>>
>>33130593
>lorewise
meh, nothing special at all
>aesthetically
i dislike them or at least try to appreciate them a little more
mess of fluo colors and lines, can barely understand how does their main body works
tapu bulu is the worst offender, looks like shit, somehow hovers, where did its lower body go, is that a tail or a leg or a hoov or a bell, how does it move in general, awful
how does fini stand inside its shell, does it have a spine or skeleton because it definitely should have one
tapu koko looks like a mix between gallade,scrafty with random dildos on lower body, lele is hmmm something...a maiden flying like a baba yaga inside her shell or whatever
>competitively
despite the very limited movepool they almost got everything they need, especially the lacking BST points are compensed if not overcompensed by the insane terrain abilities buffing their offensive stats and helping teammates, unresisted super fang and extra free switch ins for fini which has impressive defensive stats and typing
surprised tapu bulu cannot learn high horsepower and the male ones cannot play rough or have any new physical fairy attack
tutors can only improve them anyway

they got a nice battle theme however
>>
File: Frenchfood.jpg (133KB, 720x765px) Image search: [Google]
Frenchfood.jpg
133KB, 720x765px
>>
>>33133176
no fini?
>>
>>33132680
it's only their shell that is based on these animals i believe

personally i think the rooster fits the fighting spirit and justice theme

the bull is incoherent strength and shit

the sword fish or narwhal perhaps is quite aggressive for a cold blooded one like fini, i believe fini is the actual proper mermaid cry wise, oddly can't into perish song
but my first thought about fini was her resemblance with the ship figureheads
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figurehead_(object)

have no clue what's the deal with lele
looks like some lucy in the sky with diamonds lsd farting butterfly fairy
>>
There should be a leader for the quartet. Fairy/fire. Based on Pele, the goddess of fire. Her spirit animal is a white dog...
>>
>>33133328
shiny victini :^)
>>
>>33132676
The Tapus protect their islands, not the inhabitants of them.
>>
Lorewise, they could've been executed a lot better. You don't really see them do much ingame.
>>
>>33130593
>lore
I haven't played the games, but their supplemental material and flavor text provide some pretty decent lore with a nice, consistent theme in line with its Hawaiian basis.
>aesthetically
I like them all, with Bulu being my favorite and Fini being my least favorite. And while I'm an edgelord who typically likes darker shades and hues, I think the colors just work for each of them, and I like how Bulu's colors seem to throw a curveball at people who expected it to be a fire type.
>competitively
I barely know anything about competitive shit.
>>
>>33133475
I hear that complaint a lot but I never hear how it would be done. So anon, care to explain how the Tapus could be more integrated into the plot without it being hamfisted?
>>
>>33132836
Yes, to make two antennae

Also its missing the little cut at the buttom where lele sticks its swirly slug butt
>>
>>33135141
I thought that was a swirly tail
>>
File: pokemon-art-2.jpg (548KB, 1647x1121px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-art-2.jpg
548KB, 1647x1121px
>>33135147
The anon is just thirsty, ignore him.
>>
>>33130593
>lorewise
generic guardian bullshit
>aesthetically
shit
>competitively
They do regular, other pokemon are way better
>>
File: 1483644874429.png (515KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483644874429.png
515KB, 1280x720px
>>33135230
Anon, did a Tapu violate you?
>>
>>33135216
Does the tail thing unravel at all? The concept art shows its not supposed to be depicted unraveled.

Is it just one solid mass with a pattern on it or is it actually a curled up tail?
>>
>>33135248
Maybe it's fused together?
>>
>>33135248
They're living wooden figures, for all we care so they were probably just sculpted like that.

But the question now comes: WHO sculpted/created them? Do we have another Regi situation?
>>
>>33135289
>They're living wooden figures, for all we care so they were probably just sculpted like that.
Wait what? Proofs?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.