[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Pokémon has always been linear >Pokémon has always been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1033.jpg (63KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1033.jpg
63KB, 374x374px
>Pokémon has always been linear
>Pokémon has always been easy
>Tutorials have always been around
>Gen 1 was an unbalanced broken mess
>Who fucking cares if you can't catch that many new Pokémon
>How is the meta broken?
I'd like to hear your thoughts vp. Where has this hate for SM come from?
>>
I think the switch to 3D. Really exposed the linearity.

Everything smaller in sprites. But you can't sprites forever.

The other didn't have the cut scenes I'm talking about cinematic cut scenes. I'm talking about endless dialogues being stopped every 10 mins but lillie or hau kukuai it's a buzz kill annoying af.

Trails arent as fun as gyms. Atleast gyms had fun dungeons

Hopefully ultra sun and moon can improve on some things like more content

Linearity is something that can hopefully be fixed with HD 3D on switch
>>
pokemon is fun though
>>
>>33124901
Never said it wasn't. I just said that the flaws of SM were always present to a degree, but you probably never noticed because you were younger when you played those past games. Don't get me wrong though, I love all games (except for RB and XY), and have been playing the franchise since Yellow.
>>
>>33124896
Fair enough points. At least you're not screeching autistically while calling me autistic. I personally had no complaints about the cutscenes (though the button mashing did get tedious after a while. I'd just wish they got voice actors or automatic text instead).

I loved the trials. Were they easy? Yes. Though the freshness of them, toppled with the challenge I experienced during (some of) the totem battles made up for it.
>>
Those last two comments were by me, the OP by the way.
>>
File: why the fuck 2.0.png (20KB, 739x115px) Image search: [Google]
why the fuck 2.0.png
20KB, 739x115px
>>33124871
Playing through SM just wasn't very fun. Trials aren't as good as gyms, there's a difference between "fight through a puzzle gym and fight a leader with 3-4 pokemon" and "fight 3 wild pokemon and then 1 buffed pokemon that calls stuff." If you instagib a Leader's lead, they usually have some other pokemon that can be somewhat of a counter. Instagib Totem Kommo-o, and it's over before it starts.

Getting stopped by Lillie and Hau just takes me out of the game. It's much too frequent, and I probably wouldn't have as big a problem with it if Lillie actually did anything throughout the course of the game. All she does is walk around the islands with Nebby and chat with you a few times per town.

A lot of stuff in SM just feel unnecessary and out of place. Colress comes out of nowhere and chats with you, and then vanishes. He has no impact on the story at all. Same with the cutscene of Koko fighting Buzzwole. It affects nothing in the story at all. Hala doesn't say a word of it when you fight him at the 4.

Lastly, with 800+ pokemon, why must we constantly be bombarded with Wingull/Rattata/Zubat/Geodude/Magikarp still? Pic related is unacceptable, especially since this isn't the only route it's on.
>>
>>33124946
Most trials were meh and poorly executed.

The totem battles felt like a slap in the face, considering you don't battle the actual captains his/herself. I really missed the "gym leader" aspect.
>>
>Pokémon has always been linear
Linearity isnt the problem. People who want an open world pokemon game don't understand what pokemon is and are babies.

>Pokémon has always been easy
Pokemon used to be a jrpg; the abscence of level grinding and formidible bosses makes it not a jrpg.

>Tutorials have always been around
When you get to the first pokemon center 60+ minutes into the game, you're doing it wrong.

When you've caught them all, and been catching them all over and over again for years, it's nice to have some new ones.

>How is the meta broken?
It's not. UB's are a little more powerful than I think they should be but otherwise the meta is pretty healthy, healthier than it has been in the past, and it's also easier than ever to get into the meta.

SM to me felt soulless. I actually like it, but it wasn't very fun. I'm currently playing though an emerald cart and a platinum cart, for the gazillionth time, and having more fun with those titles than I had with the first playthrough of SM. Why exactly? I wish I had specific bullet points for you OP, because it seems like you genuinely want to have a discussion about it; sadly I have no such points.
>>
>>33124871
Honestly thought you were shitposting about gen 2, especially with
>>
>>33125402
>SM to me felt soulless. I actually like it, but it wasn't very fun. I'm currently playing though an emerald cart and a platinum cart, for the gazillionth time, and having more fun with those titles than I had with the first playthrough of SM
Fucking this. Litterally did the same last week. And dat Colosseum compatibility
>>
>>33125402
Thanks for your feedback. It's alright, you don't need bullet points. All you need to do is recognize just how autistic you are. Just kidding.

But seriously, I agree that Gens 3-5 were much better and gave me more enjoyment, challenge, and replay value than any of the 3ds titles so far. Only thing I have to say is in regards to
>the abscence of level grinding
To which I'd just respond with turning off the exp share.

>SM felt soulless to me
Despite the flaws you pointed out, which are genuine complaints, even if I disagree with some of them, I felt the opposite. While by no means the best generation so far (again, the GBA and DS titles except for DP were king in my opinion), I felt like this one felt like a passion project, just one that needed tweaks.
>>
File: 1395546753268.png (147KB, 236x338px) Image search: [Google]
1395546753268.png
147KB, 236x338px
>>33124871
>>Pokémon has always been linear
Not true.

>>Pokémon has always been easy
Not as brain dead easy as newer games are.

>>Tutorials have always been around
Not to the extent in SM.

>>Gen 1 was an unbalanced broken mess
>le broken mess meme
Go actually play gen 1 instead of falling for the anti-genwunner bandwagon and then get back to me.
>>
>>33124871
Some people is just stupid and got hyped like it was the game of the century. It's a good Pokémon game, just not as good as some were expecting.
The only actual complain I have is the Festival Plaza, that shit ruined online stuff in so many ways.
>>
>>33126211
>The only actual complain I have is the Festival Plaza, that shit ruined online stuff in so many ways.
really? I wasn't into online pokemon play before they introduced that now I like it.
>>
>>33126186
I just said my first game was Yellow. I played it firs when I was 6. I just recently loaded my old save file and completed it. Trust me, I'm not joining any bandwagons here. It's just my personal opinion that, considering its balancing issues and its barebones mechanics, I found it to be pretty broken and that t has not aged well. Either you deal with the fact that people can have opinions different to yours, or you can leave.
>>
>>33125754
Hell naw man, that shit was my childhood (after Yellow, of course). Although it still has its problems.
>>
>>33124871
I think they tried too many new things this time around and it ended up being subpar as a result. It felt less like a Pokemon title and more like a mash-up of old RPGS featuring rehashed shitmons given ridiculous encounter rates for a "nostalgic" feeling and rarely encountered new pokemon sprinkled throughout. The new things aren't bad but they lack what little polish and refinement Gamefreak had shown with the 2d games. My main complaints were the new pokemon being uncommon in their own region, every single wild encounter turning into a war of attrition through calling for help and being unable to run if you can't ohko, no national dex/Charmander line not being included despite being the main method of flight, and the entire story could have been stopped when you got Charizard if you explained to Lusamine that the husband she's gone insane looking for has been growing and eating fucking beans on an island for years.
>>
>>33125343
You can still fight the Kahunas, which is something similar. Trust me, I marathoned all previous gens' sister games and their remakes before playing this. I was getting sick of gym leaders.
>>
>>33124871
>Pokemon was always easy and linear
>therefore, making it easier and more linear every game is OK and has 0 net affect on the enjoyment
Where does this idiocy come from? If you enjoyed a spicy burrito, you can't expect to enjoy it the same way next week if the chef adds an extra tablespoon of cayenne and justifies it with "it's always been spicy".
>>
>>33126264
Alright, I understand. Yeah, here's hoping USUM fixes those issues you mentioned. I still found the trials and wild battles to be fun regardless, and I couldn't give a shit about the national dex. I never played these games to catch em all, although I understand some did.

I actually never realized that plothole. Thanks for pointing that out.
>>
>>33124871
>>Pokémon has always been linear
Weird, I could've sworn you could go do Gyms 3, 4, 5, and 6 in any order once you had Cut. Same for north and east of Goldrenrod after Whitney.

Right, that's because you can since they were more open world compared to everything that followed and need to return to their roots for the Switch.
>>
>>33126264
Adding to the complaints the clusterfuck that is Festival Plaza, removing the need for status restore items through Amie 2.0 yet keeping the items in the game, the retarded diminishing exp system's return without Audino/Blissey to grind, and requiring Lv 100 with said system before hyper training
>>
>>33125402
>Linearity isnt the problem. People who want an open world pokemon game don't understand what pokemon is and are babies.

Yeah, it is because >>33126280

You retard who either doesn't know for being an actual child who hasn't played the games and shouldn't be here or didn't understand what they were playing.
>>
>>33126269
I don't understand where this "easy" meme comes from. On anywhere else that isn't this board, I hear people saying this game is challenging. I found it to be easy, with some battles being exceptions.

How exactly is SM's linearity worse than before? I understand your point about the difficulty, but linearity was always the same.

I don't need a game to be hard in order to enjoy it. I like hard games, yes. I'm a fan of castlevania and mega man. But I still found enjoyment out of their easier titles regardless, like SOTN and 6 respectively. That's the same here.

>where is this idiocy coming from.
I don't know. Why did you feel the need to insult me, despite the fact that all I did was disagree with your entirely subjective opinion? Because don't forget, no matter how much of a prick you make yourself out to be, your opinion remains that.

Also, I found XY to be way easier.
>>
>>33126280
True, but the few cases where you are allowed to take the gyms on out of order are minimal and not preferred. I've even playing this franchise nearly my entire life and I didn't notice that. Not that it matters though. Nearly everyone I know best the gyms in order, and despite knowing you can beat the Kanto gyms out of order in gen 2, I still didn't care much.
>>
>>33126341
My point was, even if there are few instances of non-linearity, they aren't that big. In the end, most gyms have an obligatory order, so it barely matters. Gen 5 was linear and nobody complained, and in Gen 4 there were like only two gym leaders you could beat in a different order than intended. That's about it though.
>>
>>33124871
>Where has this hate for SM come from?
Sinnohkids. They get mad at any game that isn't exactly like gen 4 (which is why they accept gen 5) and they're the vast majority on this board. You'll recall the massive hate for gen 6 shortly after release despite every gen 6 game being miles better than every gen 4 game.
>>
>>33126280

Hey, remember how Johto's region layout was awful and the level curve suffered badly because of the "open world?" Remember how there's never been a region quite that bad since?

Grrr, linearity is so bad >:((((
>>
>>33126554
Not...really? I technically count as one, even though my first gen was 1 and I grew up with reruns of the original anime, basically like anyone who grew up with Pokémon in the 90s. I still enjoyed them. Perhaps you're right though. I'm new to this board.

>Gen 6 > 4
I disagree. Could you tell me why you think that way?
>>
>>33126563
I love Johto and think it's a very underrated region, but I have to agree. Gen 2's linearity could've worked fine had the scaling been done a bit better. I'm at mahogany town after beating Whitney and why are all of my opponents so under leveled?
>>
>>33126589
>Gen 2's linearity
I meant to say non-linearity. My bad.
>>
>>33124871
I enjoyed SM and looking forward to USUM breathing some more life into it. It's nice that they changed the formula off gyms and HMs while still keeping the basic feel of older Pokemon games.
>>
>>33124871
>Gen 1 was an unbalanced broken mess

That never was a thing back then, new Gens bringed the whiny babies who complain about the meta nowadays.
>>
>>33126659
If by that you mean future gens brought better mechanics and actual strategy even in the casual single-player campaign, then sure.

I don't get why genwunners are here. The last Pokémon game you enjoyed was released 21 years ago. Can you be a part of this community?
>>
>>33124871
The problem seems to be that people were expecting them to change for formula which...really didn't happen.
Trials were essentially guys without puzzles, in fact the entire game lacked puzzles as another downside, and while the games have always been linear they at least had dungeons/exploration elements. I don't want anything open world or that bullshit I just want areas that have content to them, not a majority of everything being a straight line where NPCs guide me along the way.
This was also the first game where I went from neutral to NPCs to outright dreading their appearance.

With Pokemon going to the Switch and moving away from handhelds I can't say I see this getting better, either.
>>
>>33126684
The last Pokémon game I enjoyed was X, Kalos was comfy as fuck unlike Unova.
>>
>>33126687
Interesting. I believe the trials could work just fine if they were made a bit more challenging in Ultra.

Trials weren't quite like gyms though. They reminded me a lot of the Orange Islands arc from the anime. I.M.O, Plainum and Black/White had the best gym puzzles. If they had those minus the trainers and were replaced with the totem Pokémon, people would've appreciated the changes a bit more.
>>
I'll throw my two cents into this one. This isn't necessarily about new Pokemon, but rather all of them.

One of Pokemon's core aspects is about, well, catching and trading Pokemon. The feeling of having a full Pokedex is just so satisfying, because you put all of your effort into catching hundreds of Pokemon and obtaining stuff like the Shiny Charm. It's also a side-quest that has been around since the Red/Green days. And it's now made easier than ever with Wonder Trade and GTS. GF once said they wanted to bring players closer together around the world so they could compete and help one another, so getting help completing the Dex from other players feels just great, especially when there's a version-exclusive Pokemon you want to obtain, but you don't have the actual game to catch it in.

Completing the Dex in SM is unsatisfying. While XY's Dex had 450 different Pokemon and a National Dex, SM only has 300 catchable Mons and no National Dex. This wouldn't be a bad thing if it were in Gen 4 or Gen 5, but this is Gen 7 were talking about. There's 800 different Pokemon, and yet GF can't even be bothered to include half of them. Considering what I said about Wonder Trade and GTS, having not a lot of Pokemon to catch just feels like a step backwards.

I get why SM has a small Dex from an in-universe point of view, because Alola is a small region. But if you're going to make a small region with only a few Pokemon, you should at least be kind enough to include the National Dex.
>>
>>33126709
I agree Kalos was comfort than Unova as it made me feel less claustrophobic but I just found it so forgettable lol.
>>
Actually Gens 1,2,3 allowed you to go after certain gyms in whatever order you like. For example, in Gen 1 you could choose whether you want to challenge Koga or Sabrina first. Fuck, I think you could even put Erika's gym after them as well. So saying Pokemon has always been linear is Fake News.
>>
>>33126717
I got the opposite feeling as the orange island gyms, mostly because the trials usually amounted to a totem battle(with support) that didn't really amount to anything new.
The only difference is they traded gym puzzles for gimmicks that we're honestly hit and miss.
If they were going to be short/one note there could have at least been one for every Z-crystal.
I'm not opposed to changing the formula I just want it to have substance to it.

Nevermind I'm still incredibly asshurt about the removal the National Pokedex, since I've liked always enjoyed the collection element, and the plaza makes trading for things tedious.
>>
File: 1485662135096.jpg (59KB, 335x375px) Image search: [Google]
1485662135096.jpg
59KB, 335x375px
Because whenever pokemon news is revealed, a bunch of /v/ retards come in to scream about how shit pokemon is. A couple of them never left.
>>
>>33126723
Right, didn't think about that. I didn't know some people really did want to catch e'm all. I can imagine that must've sucked in your case. At least Ultra will bring new ones. Me personally, I don't care much because catching e'm all never was my concern. I guess I'll catch as many as possible in Leaf Green since I already own over 50 species, but that's it.
>>
>>33126726
That's what I meant though. It's so minimal I don't think many noticed. Plus, as I said, most others had to be completed in order.
>>
>>33126737
It actually wasn't bad completing the Dex in XY, especially with Wonder Trade and all. BW2, on the other hand... really sucked.

That's fine too. I always held the belief that completing the Dex is just a side-quest, anyway. A big one, but still. The best reason I can think of on why more people nowadays are determined on completing the Dex is because it's now easier than ever, thanks to GTS and other things.
>>
>>33126773
Oh yeah, I was also planning on completing the pokedex in X before beating the E4.

Even with the exp share grinding is such a pain in the ass lmao. I don't even have a team there. My only consistent Pokémon are my Greninja, Talonflame, and Raichu.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.