[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HeartGold and SoulSilver can be many things, but it really lacks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20170724_020102.jpg (3MB, 3584x2016px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170724_020102.jpg
3MB, 3584x2016px
HeartGold and SoulSilver can be many things, but it really lacks on the gameplay department, and it seriously lacks when it comes to speed of progression and level scaling
>>
>>33105200
It lacks in all of those areas, yet it's one of the best pokemon games made to date.
>>
>>33105219
Yet its the weakest in the story department tied with gen 1, and people made it out to be good because of Kanto expansion, else Johto by itself would be the most Boring region in pokémon
>>
>>33105235
>story
Jesus fucking christ, its all dora the explora tier there bud
>>
>>33105235
>He plays pokemon for the story
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>33105264
Its literally nothing then
There is literally nothing motivating me to keep going with this aside my shiny run
Sure the visuals are nice, but most of the good ones lie in Kanto, there arent many places appealing in Johto, the forest and Ho-Ho tower are the only ones that come to mind
The lack of items is also very noticeable
>>
>>33105299

>My shiny run.

Dude, that's autism.
>>
>>33105279
I dont play pokémon for the story, i play it for the impulse of catching them all and shiny hunt, but the story is important to give you a motive to keep going else you just feel like those characters are there to be there, and the league buildup is nonexistent, lance is a huge dissapointment when a sudowoodo can actually beat the 3 dragonites he has
>>
>>33105317
Gotta keep it interesting somehow, Johto never appealed to me and playing Kanto for the 14th time isnt really that appealing either
>>
>>33105235
>weakest in the story department
>story
Point and laugh, boys.
>>
>>33105200
the game actually has a quick speed of progression, since there are two regions to explore and both of them are half assed
>>
>>33105336

What keeps Johto interesting is the increase of really good pokemon designs.

Blissey, The doggo trio, Qwilfish, The Uber-box Legendaries were both good.

But if you are searching for a Water Temple shit instead of focusing on the Pokemon, you are playing the wrong game.
>>
>>33105200
>The Pokemon series can be many things, but it really lacks on the gameplay department, and it seriously lacks when it comes to speed of progression and level scaling

FTFY
>>
>>33105385
Tell me a weaker one than gen 1 and 2 in the story department
>>
>>33105411
They're all weak, numbnuts. I guess technically the "best" would be Sun and Moon because they are the only ones that actually tried, but despite that they are still the worst pokemon games because nobody fucking wants a 2 minute cutscene for the sole purpose of your gay ass friend bringing you a snack.
>>
>>33105386
But thats the whole point, they are too fast, you can literally do the regional really quick till 7th gym, then team rocket tower invasion takes a lot PF time unnecessarily, and then goes back to being fast, its like they dont use the regions atmosphere to tell a proper story, the cover legends are just there to be there and only refered by the kimono girls at the very end
>>
>>33105200
>Complaining this much
Didn't you get BTFO in the last thread?
>>
>>33105396
The Johto designs are nice but it lacks diversity, and aside that while were at it where can i find Larvitar?
>>
>>33105433
Fuck no, Sun and Moon dragged it for too long, a good balance would be ORAS or Black and White 2, you really cant put them on the same pedestal there
>>
>>33105439
What last thread? This is the first time im doing this thread
>>
>muh level scaling

this is just code for
>I am shit at the game and do not know how to beat NPCs that are are higher leveled than me
>>
>>33105507
Actually im complaining about the opposite, the opponents are 20 levels below me even in Kanto, despite the elite 4 having been around 5 levels above
>>
>>33105531
Your OP pic says otherwise.
>>
File: IMG_20170724_024703.jpg (3MB, 3584x2016px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170724_024703.jpg
3MB, 3584x2016px
Also, i do like the Johto pokémon designs, just that the game itself isnt worth getting the praise pedestal over a feature of a Pokemon walking behind you
>>
>>33105507
Except thats wrong. HGSS is tougher than GSC, but they are still easy games. It's jsut that no one likes getting to the Elite 4 when you're in the high 30's or low 40's and then trek through Kanto fighitn a bunch fo low 30s to low 40's most of the time. i
>>
File: 1439339432439.jpg (420KB, 1150x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1439339432439.jpg
420KB, 1150x1500px
>>33105200
I love heartgold and soulsilver. I don't find the level scaling to be a massive issue - it can be annoying, yes. I don't really get what you mean by speed of progression?

There's so many great things about HGSS which make me enjoy playing it long after I've completed the story. All the daily things to do - all the different trainers to collect the phone numbers of and have battles with - all the different pokemon to collect and enjoy interacting with in the world (pkemon following is amazing). There's the gym leaders to find outside of their gyms and organize to battle with again as well. There's lapras on fridays too. And apricorns to harvest. There's different tm's to get from the golden rod dep store lottery. There's lots of different pokemon to catch via Hoenn/Sinnoh sound and also the swarms too. There are also certain pokemon that can only learn specific moves from move tutors in HGSS as well! You can also catch Rayquaza too if you have the other other legendary. You also get a g1 starter mon from Oak once you beat Red.

The HGSS world feels alive to me and I like that. It's also the best looking game because I fucking love the pixel/sprite aesthetics and I wish GF would go back to that.

HGSS has it's shortcomings like any game made by GF, but there's a lot of stuff I love, which is why they are my favourite.
>>
>>33105546
Huh, it does imply the opposite, should have postes the opponent trainer Graveler at lv 23 to see comments saying that i found it in the wild, my bad
>>
>>33105546
lmao
>>
>>33105433
No, SM's story is just bad. It's on the level of the others on the series, but it's nowhere good even for how much they tried.
>>
>>33105411
The stories post-III are so bad they may as well not exist.

Look back to the original two games and to games that inspired them like Zelda and DQ. The story was nothing beyond "beat the League"/"save the princess". That was your ultimate goal but rarely did you really think about those things.

What inspired you to play was the sense of adventure. What kind of Pokémon am I gonna find in the next town? What does this thing evolve into? Is there a dungeon somewhere in the forest? Will that tower have a clue as to where the princess is? You played the game for the game, and for the adventure.

The later Pokémon games are more like Final Fantasy where there's a strict linear path through the game because they're trying to tell you a certain story, yet in FF the story is at least worth telling. The stories in Pokémon games don't even measure up to the shitty Pokémon movies. At least the Pokémon movies have a central character for you to root for. At least your player in FF games is a character who takes part in the story rather than just doing things because the game told you to.

With how successful Zelda was in going the route of less story imposed upon you, more opening for the player to create their own stories, I can only hope GF stops shoving these stories on us that make the worst Final Fantasy's look like high art, and goes back to what the games were originally about.
>>
>>33105583
Im talking about the main campaign here, like, the usual 1-8 badges to elite 4
By speed of progression im actually complaining that you can complete the game in such a short time, even when youre intentionally looking for shinies all around on an area, it just felt too fast for me, sure post-game might have more to offer, i really just entered Kanto a few hours ago, but despite that its an enjoyable game, not as enjoyable for me apparently
>>
>>33105477
before E4 you can find it on the safari zone - mountain area post-E4 on mt silver
>>
>>33105433
SM's story is a bunch of wasted potential. It had lots of neat opportunities they could ahve done something with, but then did nothing with them. at least 75% of the main characters could be removed and nothing about the story would change.
>>
>>33105619
But gen 4 and 5 had definitely the best stories tho
But they have their own problems on other areas, regardless of that i get what you mean, and as i said, the story is kind of an extra, youre not playing for the story but it does motivate you to keep going, thats what Johto lacks, the new team rocket just disbands like that after you beat the wannabe Giovanni that you never actually met, its dissapointing
Silver as a rival is no good either, he never changed his opinion on his pokémon at all during Johto
>>
>>33105649
Thank you for the tip ill check it out
>>
>>33105322
>shiny hunt
even worse, commit sudoku
>>
>>33105669
>"Gen 4 and 5 definitely had the best story" says I

What keeps you going is discovering new Pokemon and trying to be the champion. That was the point of the original games. They didn't add a story because you were the story. That's what made them good.

>Silver as a rival is no good
Please, PLEASE tell me your favorite rival.
>>
>>33105665
This. It kinda felt like they limited their cast, just from looking at the sun and moon anime there are a lot of traits there that could have made the actual cast in-game more interesting
>>
>>33105690
Full odds shiny is not that bad, plus i dont play that regularly so i just leave it to random luck when im feeling it
>>
>>33105585
Dude, I'm playing HG right now and I can tell you that Kanto Trainers have decent levels. SOME have levels that are low, but most are in the high 40s. How are you 20 levels over them?
I played with a party of 6 and battled almost every trainer in Johto. I didn't grind because that's retarded.
>>
>>33105694
But the story itself is pretty worthwhile, especially Platinum and BW2
And overall hold more variety, except Sinnoh with fire types
>>
>>33105719
I only grinded a bit for the elite 4, till 45 each, and even then the Kanto trainers seem to be too many levels below, around 20 to 40, with the exception of trainers at the gyms
>>
>>33105694
Ups for got the rival, probably Hugh desu
>>
>>33105738
My best Pokemon was in the 40s before the E4 and the rest were in the 30s. Grinding is not worth it so I just got through with choice items.

Also, you can beat Red with lv. 60 Pokemon. When you set your goal for that, the levels don't matter as much because you're already halfway there once you get to Kanto.

>>33105748
Okay, that's fine. As long as it wasn't XY.
>>
>>33105722
I think that the stories were fine in BW2 and Platinum. However, I don't think that Pokemon is about the story. Lots of people like Post game because it's basically free roam with places to go and things to still discover without being locked because you didn't finish an event. That's what an adventure is. I think a lot of people miss that.
>>
>>33105782
Well i just grinded because some of my oldest mons were a bit overwhelmed by the elite 4 and it really doesnt help when you fight Karen and her infinite confuse ray spam strategy, Lance was the easiest of them, Gyarados and Sudowoodo did it with no problems
>>
>>33105810
I did enjoy that a lot on ORAS and BW2 tho, i enjoyed the story, but to think that even after the story and the whole region there was still so much to do and explore, that part post game is fine, but to do that for the main game isnt as interesting
>>
Are Sacred Gold/Storm Silver the best games then because they build upon already great games and fix their flaws?
>>
>>33106005
Arent those hacked versions of the games? If they do fix and improve, then yes
>>
File: DFBfEnTVYAAiMgU.jpg (95KB, 800x933px) Image search: [Google]
DFBfEnTVYAAiMgU.jpg
95KB, 800x933px
>>33106005
le6pkmgymleader meme?
no, kill it with fire
>>
File: scizor confused.png (105KB, 240x325px) Image search: [Google]
scizor confused.png
105KB, 240x325px
>>33105235
>story
>in a fucking Pokemon game outside maybe the Mystery Dungeon series

But the worst stories are stuff like BW and SM. Shit that stops you from playing the game every 10 steps while you're just sitting there watching glorified cutscenes. There's little reason to even care about the characters because your character is a voiceless being that just stares at them until they're done talking. At least the Gen 1 and 2 games and their remakes just let you play the damn game with only a few interruptions.
>>
>>33106226
>PMD
good plot
No, especially not Super's. RT and Explorers are passable as a game, at least.
>>
File: IMG_1593.jpg (87KB, 441x424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1593.jpg
87KB, 441x424px
>>33105235
>Caring about the story
>In fucking Pokémon

Look at what gen 6 and 7 tried and gave us: Trash. We had a fucking case where you witnessed the events and saved her, but she also fucks off. You saying this is one of the worst is like saying every large corporation is corrupt. It's obvious
>>
>>33106226
BW didn't stop you every ten seconds tho.
>>
>>33105336
Then why did you decide to play it again?
>>
>>33105235
>story
Kill yourself. You're exactly what's wrong with Pokemon nowadays. Faggot.
>>
>>33105235
>story
dumb redditor
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.