[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could we revamp the Pokemon games? What elements or mechanics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: 1851ed9f6079f5c1ba16d29996e3df3e.jpg (395KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
1851ed9f6079f5c1ba16d29996e3df3e.jpg
395KB, 1000x773px
How could we revamp the Pokemon games?

What elements or mechanics are absolutely essential to the series? How much could the mechanics be changed before you completely alienate the competitive community? How much would have to be changed in order for lapsed players to come back? Does Pokemon have the potential to be a major competitive game, or is it always going to be a competitive niche? Should Pokemon try to make something that could appeal more to normies and/or hardcore gamers, or should it remain focused on kids and Nintendo fans?

For reference, here's what I think are the most significant mechanical changes in Pokemon so far:
>breeding for IVs
>introduction of Steel and Dark types
>held items
>weather/battlefield conditions
>splitting Special into Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense
>natures
>abilities
>contact and non-contact moves
>double battles
>allowing all types of attacks to be either Special or physical
>characteristics
>Mega evolutions
>Fairy type
>Z-Moves

These have all had significant effects on the way the game is played both single player and competitively (for better or for worse), while leaving the core game relatively unchanged. But consequently, the type of player that plays Pokemon hasn't really changed either.

So what would you do if you were in charge? Would you make more drastic changes in attempt to increase the appeal of the games, or would you make fairly conservative changes to make the competitive scene more balanced or dynamic? Who would you target your game towards?
>>
Drastic changes are ruining Pokémon.

They have to keep it simple:

> Catch Pokémon
> Fight Rivals
> Fight Gym
> Fight the League
> Complete the National Pokédex

We don't need more stupid gimmicks like forme change or Z-shits.
>>
>>33089639
They should have introduced Terrain conditions earlier so they wouldn't have been forced to be part of the power- and spectacle creep.
>>
>>33089691
Alternate forms is a huge improvement with tons of potential though. Imo they should utilize it even more.
>>
>>33089639
Pokemon still sells about as well as it ever does, and Sun/Moon sold better than X/Y. So I don't think it "needs" anything to bring back lapsed players, it's doing fine.

If I were in charge I would make triple battle the default, but that's about it.
>>
>>33089639
Trim the fat that separates casual and serious players. Its a children's game. There's no reason to make having "perfect" pokemon take so damn long.

Get rid of IVs and EVs. Leave natures, but diversify pokemon so that any single pokemon could have a different build based on a different nature (GF is already doing this for many pokes, but not all).

Genders and breeding is kind of just weird. Different, fun, and unique methods of evolving and catching rare pokemon are enough.

Types need to be rebooted. There are too many, they are too unbalanced, and many can be grouped.

Get rid of PP, use stamina points as a stat. A move uses a certain number of stamina points instead. Redo stats as a whole. I don't think splitting physical and special stats is a useful addition to the mechanics. Stats might look something like: Attack, Defense, Stamina, Health, Accuracy, Speed.

Simplicity is elegant. Keep the mechanics simple. Focus on the story and character design.
>>
>>33089639
The competitive mechanics are out dated

Doing things legitimately it takes long enough to get a team of 6 ready, nevermind experimenting with a bunch of pokemon. This was fine bback when there were 300 pokemon but with 800 it is asinine
>>
>>33089822
>Get rid of PP, use stamina points as a stat. A move uses a certain number of stamina points instead. Redo stats as a whole. I don't think splitting physical and special stats is a useful addition to the mechanics. Stats might look something like: Attack, Defense, Stamina, Health, Accuracy, Speed.

Does this fix any problem or do you just want to change shit for the sake of shit being changed?
>>
>>33089822
>don't split physical and special
there's a reason every RPG in existence uses physical and magical damage, as well as physical and magical resistance. Without it, you have beeftank warriors casting fireball just as well as wizards, and fey little elf fuccbois swinging axes like berserkers. It's retarded and screws up the balance entirely.

also
>Accuracy as a stat
a good way to make every Pokemon without perfect accuracy instantly garbage tier
>>
>>33089822
Literally a mobile game. No thanks

The mechanics themselves are mostly fine, although natures should be improved so it's not just a choice between 2 optimal natures, but it's the way GF makes them such a grindfest that is the problem and makes injecting so popular
>>
Sound type should be added. And be superefective against fairy somehow.

Also buff Ice defensively.
>>
>>33089867
The special/physical dichotomy has only complicated things and made some pokemon unusable since gen 1.

Stamina points make more sense than Power points because it should be a stat of the pokemon not a stat of the move. I hate to pull the 'realism card,' but it makes more sense in that regard too. If a pokemon has enough energy to use ember another 20 times, it should have enough to use flamethrower another once. Each move still costs a certain amount of Stamina points, with more powerful moves costing more.

It makes things simpler. That might not be appealing to you, but for a pokemon game, it would be to me.
>>
>>33089958
I'm with you on Stamina, since I can't remember the last time I gave a flying fuck about the PP of a move, but the physical/special split is important. Which pokemon are ruined by it? At this point there are strong attacks for both phys/spec in all types.
>>
>>33089691
The overall formula you're describing is still exactly what the games are and are the main complaints with the modern ones. I think you're trying to say that the stories have been getting overblown and are getting in the way, though.

I agree that Z-moves are dumb, lazy gimmicks, but it's possible to change/add to the battle mechanics in a way that improves the game, which is what we had prior to Gen VI.

>>33089852
But what would you replace it with? Pokemon, at its core, is still a monster battling/raising game. Things like EVs and IVs are the mechanics behind the raising aspect, but the problem is it affects the single player very little while affecting the competitive side a lot, so the only people who really care about raising Pokemon are the competitive players, but it's so tedious that competitive players either don't bother and just inject or they use the myriad shortcuts that have been introduced in recent games, which makes raising utterly pointless.

>>33089900
>so it's not just a choice between 2 optimal natures
My biggest problem with the way training/raising currently works. Since IVs can be perfect, there's no customization involved.

And EVs/natures are the same in that you just choose the one that has the stat you want to maximize.

Theoretically all these things are there to make your particular Pokemon and your experience raising it unique, but in practice it has virtually no effect on a casual player, and only effects a competitive player in that they have to mindlessly grind a little to get an ideal Pokemon.
>>
>>33090010
There are a handful of pokemon who lost moves, for example pokemon like Gengar and Alakazam and Sceptile lost elemental punches (and Sceptile also lost Dragon Claw and Crunch). Marshadow is the first good physical ghost-type we've ever had because the strongest physical ghost move changed from Shadow Ball to Shadow Claw, but there weren't any physical ghost-types at all until Gen 4 added Dusknoir so his point of contention with Gen 1 is irrelevant there.

For every one pokemon hurt there are like 8 pokemon who benefited so ????
>>
>>33090031
physical differences would make so much more of an impression on casual players that "this pokemon is my own unique special one!" than the subtle stat differences. It could be as simple as adjusting the hue of the entire texture, even.
>>
I'd put everything on the table except the basic framework of the battle system. Pokemon should always be a turn-based RPG with no "real time" or "action command" attributes. Other than that, anything can be changed and it's still a "Pokemon game."
>>
>>33089639
Instead of Z-Crystals, make it so any Pokemon can use a Z-Move at any time, but the trainer still only gets to use one per battle

You still need the corresponding Z-Move in your inventory and need to have received the Z-Ring though

Keep Mega Evolution as is
>>
>>33089639
Just make all the hidden IV/EV/Nature/BST shit modifiable in a way that doesn't involve going breeding and grinding for hours.
>>
>>33090276
They move towards that more and more each generation.
>>
>>33089900
They should at least remove the neutral ones
>>
File: 1498349192226.png (68KB, 219x179px) Image search: [Google]
1498349192226.png
68KB, 219x179px
The problem with pokemon is, that GF is not implementing stuff, that worked before. They dont seem to listen to the community at all.

>pokemon following the trainer
>customization of the trainer/pokeballs
>Specialtraining/hord battles
>battle frontier
>straight forward story without holding the players hand too much
>fishing pokemon

And the list goes on. Right now, pokemon is a story driven game, that doesnt focus on the RPG/training your pokemon to become the best trainer anymore. It focuses on being part of a story. Too bad, that the characters are stale and the main protagonist is completely irrelevant.

Pokemon used to be a game where you made your own adventure.
All that is left now is forcing yourself through never-ending scripted scenes and finishing the dex, while facing dull mechanics.
Mega evolution was already a mistake, because pokemon who really needed it, didnt get it. Z-Moves make the game a joke and recoloring old pokemon is just a sign for resignation.
>>
removal of 6 perfect ivs, now allowing you to get a maximum of 124 ivs instead of the 186 ivs so sets can be more diverse
>>
>>33089639
I'd advocate for an aesthetical change.
Battles seem kinda stale, more like a card game or chess than an actual fight. It has a certain charme, sure.
I know Pokemon is an rpg with a turn-based battle system and they can't really change that without changing the core concept of the series. BUT that doesn't mean it's impossible to at least visually pimp pokemon battles!
Pokemon on the field shouldn't just be sitting in front of each other in one spot, they should move around, interact with the environment, eyeing and circling each other, doing threatening gestures. It's just a cinematic change but I'd love it! Battle animations as they are now tend to look more like metaphorical concepts. Things like punches shouldn't be just symbolized by floating images of fists. The Pokemon should directly hit each other, making you feel the impact! Psychic hurls the opponent into the air and smacks it to the ground, Wood Hammer is no longer a conjured hammer but a powerful blow with the wooden part of a pokemon's body. Thunderbolt and the like could be streams of lightning coming out of one mon and directly hitting the other mon instead of just bolts conjured from the sky. Dodging should have its own animation. Etc etc...
Battling should basically be like a Pokken Tournament battle now, but only in looks.
Tech is progressing and I don't see why the Switch should not be able to pull it off.
>>
>>33089822

That is the stupidiest thing I have read,

The majority of regular players are now in their 20s, they are the ones willing to buy game after game and even both versions. Making the game retarded instead of more challenging is the wrong direction. We have seen the discontent with SM because they "focused on characters". Yes, it sold well, but that was because the pre-hype, you will see USUM as the real verdict and It is not going to do well.

Make a battle machine or something, when you register a pokemon in it, it has 31 IVs in everything, but only for battle. You can only register 12 pokemon at a time.

The west hates grinding, but for some reason, asians enjoy it in their RPGs, so keep a mechanic for them to let their autism out that doesn't have multiplayer effect.

Incetivize online multiplayer by adding cosmetic prizes.

Timed events whenever GF feels like it are stupid in 2017. Make a yearly schedule to give away every mythic. After 8 gens they don't even feel that special like Mew was 20 years so get over it. N o one is going to care as much for Hoopa as we did for Serebii back in the day so just give it away.

If you want to have a competitive game, you can't have some stuff available in one game and not in the next and still have it be legal for tournaments. Either make everything available in every game or ban anything not available in the current game for competitive. Specially if they are going to keep the trend of just having the current game for tournaments instead of a whole generation like RSEFRLG where you could battle between them.

Add something to do post-game ffs. It can't be that hard to add a few battles to give the game replayability.
>>
>>33089639
It may sound like a 'meme', but honestly, Mega Evolutions and especially Z-Moves are shit. Don't get me wrong, some of the Megas look great and stuff, but maybe they should've gone for another permanent, third evolution.

I will not discuss Z-Moves because it is similar to stuff from mobile games, or at least really shitty ones, they could've just made extra powerful moves that have only 1 PP and unable to expand with PP Up.

The Dark, Steel and Fairy types are "expansions" that I like. They're new, change a lot of things in the game, but still feel natural. All other things like the Physical/Special split, Abilities, Natures, EVs etc also feel natural.

It's just this gimmick thing that I don't quite like. Sooner or later we might get a "Pay $0.99" to use the "Mysterious Power" and automatically defeat your foe!

Anyway, I know this is just my personal opinion, or taste, but I don't think there's many people who looked at a X and Y trailer and said: "Wow, Mega Evolution!! I will buy these games just for it!!!", even less people for Z-Moves.

Just useless stuff that GF might regret doing sooner or later, and then feel bad for removing them.
>>
>>33090199
How much do you think you could add to that system before it became something too different, though?

For example, what if a Pokemon could learn six moves instead of four, or if instead of new moves that were essentially straight upgrades replacing the old ones they just became additional options like in DQ or FF?

Charmander learns Ember at Lv 7, Flame Burst at 28, and Flamethrower at 37, so what if instead of forgetting Ember and learning Flame Burst, you could use Ember OR Flame Burst? Like how DQ has Frizz, Frizzle and Kafrizzle.

Obviously using Ember would be useless competitively, but if you were facing a lower-level Pokemon in single player you wouldn't have to go get a weaker Pokemon in order to not instakill them, or if they made stamina/PP a single resource pool instead of a per move limit like some anons were suggesting you could use less PP when you didn't need to use Flamethrower on a Pokemon.
>>
>>33089691
Stagnation is what's ruining Pokemon. Playing the same game over and over gets boring.

I agree that gimmicks aren't what we need. They add nothing to the game. We need a major overhaul of the battle system. Preferably dropping the whole turn-based shit.
>>
>>33090944
>Preferably dropping the whole turn-based shit.
That would be a great way to get me to never play Pokemon again.
>>
File: 1498366733460.png (93KB, 1043x921px) Image search: [Google]
1498366733460.png
93KB, 1043x921px
>>33090874
I totally agree with you! Mega Evolution had at least some kind of "Wow, this is feels amazing" vibe for me, but Z-Moves are not even gimmicky - they are just way too strong. Dont get me wrong, the specific moves look really cool, but they add nothing to game, besides a free win move every fight.

Maybe they are running out of ideas, but i really dislike Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions to some extend too.

>"Pay $0.99" to use the "Mysterious Power"

Bravely Default had something like this and to be honest, i can actually see GF adding this. Especially for the switch version, there will be micro transactions.

Im not saying "ded gaem", but they are stagnating and i keep losing hope for the game to be good ever again.
>>
>>33091221
Megas were a dumb gimmick that somehow worked, IMO. Z-Moves felt like some kind of gimmick for a bad Pokemon clone like Bakugan, or like one of the various balance-destroying gimmicks I've heard about in Yu-Gi-Oh. Like what the fuck is with the dancing and the obsession with watches?

I don't think they're running out of ideas per se, but they're trying to come up with gimmicks that look good on the box rather than more subtle balance changes like the Special/physical split or new additions like natures and abilities.

I'd really like to hear some more ideas for minor changes with big balance implications.

>>33090944
Real-time battling or ATB would be a bit extreme, but it would certainly get the attention of older or lapsed players.

I feel like Pokemon is closer to DQ than FF, the classic feel is key to the franchise.

EarthBound added the rolling HP to the DQ formula and Mother 3 added the rhythm combo system, I think something in that tier of a small but instantly noticeable of changes would be a good middle-of-the-road approach that wouldn't totally alienate fans while still mixing things up for people who've lost interest. I'm just not really sure what change I would make.

Doing a stamina/"mana" pool instead of PP sounds like the most obvious idea to me. Like some anons have said PP is almost never a problem at all even against Pokemon with Pressure.
>>
I always wondered why they won't simplify how repels work. Just give the player a storage tank for the stuff and buy repel liquid in the shop to fill it up and enable disable it via selecting it in the menu. Buying them in huge numbers and using them over and over again isn't really fun gameplay.
>>
>>33091514
Well, the "why" is simply because that would require some small amount of effort to develop a new system instead of just using the pre-existing system for items.

SM was kind of a step towards that with the ability to automatically use repels.
>>
I don't mind the IV system at all, my main problem with it is the randomness involved, considering that you need like 5 minutes of circling the gamepad to see the results there should be more ways of getting the desired results once you got all the required elements, the best IV should always pass down unless an item is equiped, breeding should only be an exercise to pass on egg moves.
>>
Fix getting a pokemon battle ready. After getting egg moves/breeding for ivs and nature/ev training/leveling, that's like 2 hours per pokemon, or 12 hours per team. It takes too fucking long and riding a bike/spinning around isnt fun or engaging, no matter how much quicker it's made. I want to catch my pokemon and use them, not catch a pokemon and then force it to inbreed.
>>
>>33090118
>and Sceptile also lost Dragon Claw and Crunch
Don't forget his own fucking signature move, leaf blade
>>
>>33089639
This fucker has some long ass finger nails
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.