[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there any point to playing this when HG exists? looking for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: Pokémon_box_art_-_Gold_Version.png (136KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon_box_art_-_Gold_Version.png
136KB, 256x256px
is there any point to playing this when HG exists? looking for any advantages that might motivate me to play it, as it's the only mainline gen i havent ever played.
>>
Yes but there's no point in playing it over Crystal, the true best Johto game.
>>
>>33072876
Enlighten me.
>>
>is there any point to playing this
yeah if you want to mask yourself as a contrarian nostalgiafag
>>
>>33072876
>best Jotho game
>no mareep
>>
>>33072870
Yeah, when the VC version comes out and if you don't have HGSS and want to play Jhoto for a non completely retarded price.
>>
>>33072870
Nostalgia is the only real reason, silver was my first game it has been my favorite of all the pokemon games so i will DEFINETLY be getting it on vc
>>
>>33072933
I already have HG.
>>
>>33072933
Don't forget the VC versions will have HA Lugia and Ho-Oh with easily controllable natures, which are currently borderline impossible to get legit unless you're insanely lucky or patient. HA beasts too, although >lolinnerfocus.
>>
>>33072956
What is dream radar with HG or SS inserted while playing.
>>
>>33072938
This also Gold was my first johto game so def getting
>>
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Pokémon gold might be the first game in the series I played, but it's got more flaws than most people admit.
The pros
>Amazing music. Violet city sounds so good
>Introduced a bunch of cool types of poke balls
>Dark and steel types added
>Cool new Pokémon introduced like Ampharos, Heracross, Octillery

The cons
>Everything is too low leveled so you don't get to evolve and learn really good moves until late in the game.
>The gym leaders barely use any gen 2 Pokémon and many of them (Houndour, larvitar) you can't get until the after game
>It's very difficult to find stones and you'll probably not be able to evolve Pokémon that need them until the aftergame as well.
>>
Imports from the VC release. Regenerator Ho-oh and Multiscale Lugia being big.
>>
>>33072976
t. someone who never actually used the dream radar

>what is only having a 1/25 chance of getting the right nature
>what is the game auto-saving after sending the pokemon to your pc, preventing you from soft resetting
>what is dream radar only being able to send one of each legendary and b2w2 only being able to receive one of each legendary
>what is getting the wrong nature and being forced to delete your b2w2 save, delete and redownload dream radar, play through b2w2 until you're able to access the pc, play through dream radar until you're able to capture lugia and ho-oh, and pray to the rng gods you get the right nature and don't have to repeat this ad infinitum

vs.

>catching lugia or ho-oh in gs and grinding on route 1 shitmons until their exp yields the desired nature
>>
>>33072870
>Is there any point to playing this when HGSS exists?
HAs. That's it.
>>
>>33072870
Pokemon Stadium 2, if you have it on N64 you can port mons. Otherwise for fun
>>
>>33073099
I edit their natures and EVs/IVs so doesn't bother me
>>
>>33072976

Something that doesn't let you control for nature or get a shiny from.
>>
The originals are still definitely worth playing since the mechanics and features differ a lot from the remakes, and unlike 1st gen, don't have problems that can make for a bad experience
>>
>>33072870

Unless you're a nostalgiafag there's absolutely no reason to play it.

And even if you decide to play a Gen 2 game, just go with Crystal.

Still though, you can emulate it and see for yourself.
>>
Coming from someone who loves HG/SS, they require MUCH more grinding than G/S/C do, since after the kanto gyms, you're most likely gonna be in the early to mid 50's when every other thing you could do after that (E4 rematches, Red etc) you're going to be stupidly under leveled unless you grind, and even though hg/ss is faster than the other gen 4 games, its still pretty slow and makes grinding even more tedious.
>>
File: 1429909747026.gif (204KB, 404x416px) Image search: [Google]
1429909747026.gif
204KB, 404x416px
>>33072933
>for a non completely retarded price
>pays 10 bucks to emulate old ass game
>>
I was going to say the 8-bit soundtracks are far superior in some cases, but then I remembered that HGSS had the music converter thing.

Those were the days, back when the remakes actually had cool bonus features.
>>
Your selection of actual pokemon to use is limited if disregarding any trade evo or stone evolution given GF's game design
>>
>>33072870
play silver, it has better sprites
>>
>>33072892
Pic related

>>33072895
>he uses the same mons every playthrough
>>
>>33073242
But you get the GB Player after you get 16 badges.
And the music sucks, it's too quiet and it uses MIDI instead of real chiptune.
Also, the sound effects are unchanged.
>>
>>33073397
It was a flawed feature but at least it was there.
>>
>>33072870
its easier to get a playable rom of gold over Heart gold, thats it though
>>
>>33072870
No natures, faster engine, less story interruptions, sprite graphics.
>>
>>33073218
HG costs 175 minimum in my country.

So yeah, 10<175.
>>
>>33073524
stop living in shithole countries
>>
>>33072870
It's comfy
>>
File: better sprites my ass.png (694B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
better sprites my ass.png
694B, 56x56px
>>33073266
>better sprites
>>
if you play it on an emulator you can crank the speed to 2x and play through it super fast which is like the opposite of waiting for the slow ass gen 4 engine
>>
>>33074389
you can play hgss on emulator too
>>
>>33072895
>using Normiereep
>>
>>33075461
HGSS emulator is trash though
>even sped up its kinda slow
>emulator glitches out randomly because nobody's made a stable HGSS ROM, causing your character and following mon to look like Missingno. before it just crashes
>>
>>33072933
This. Plus easy shiny odds when breeding with a shiny pokemon, enabling you to get easy odds for almost any gen 1&2 pokemon.
>>
>>33072870
Comfy 8bit music and pleasing retro graphics, quite the aesthetics.
Also on VC you will be able to get some HA combined with TM Curse, a move that wasn't able to be transfered before since gen 2 and gen 3 had no trading/transfer system.

Playing classics, especially Crystal is a healing for the soul, you'd also understand the evolution of the Pokemon franchise
>>
>>33073799
Pretty intimidating desu ne?
>>
>>33072895
>>33073326
>>33075508
Seriously, why does everyone use Mareep?
>>
Typhlosion is better.
I like the atmosphere better than the remakes.
>>
>>33072870
Things it has over HGSS:
>aesthetics
>speed (in-battle)
>music (mostly)
>elemental punches
>wild sleeping pokemon
>can visit your pokemon in the day care
>>
File: politoed.png (531B, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
politoed.png
531B, 56x56px
>>33073266
You mean retarted sprites
>>
>>33075963
early electric pokemon, new johto pokemon, not hard to get
>>
There are none, unless if you really want thunderpunch on typhlosion
>>
>Is there any point in living when your younger brother who is better than you in every way exists?
>>
>>33073799
>>33077501
gold's spites are boring as fuck, who wants to look at a bunch of pokemon in an idle stance? if i wanted that i'd go play the shitty 3DS games
>>
>>33072870
>is there any point to playing this when HG exists? looking for any advantages that might motivate me to play it, as it's the only mainline gen i havent ever played.
Yeah, you get to play a better game with a faster pace, better visuals and better music.

There's literally no reason to play HGSS except if you intend to transfer mons up. HGSS is a butchery of a remake.
>>
>>33080801
I'd rather take generic/boring sprites than ugly different ones
>>
>>33073573
Bet he'll get right to that...
>>
>>33076017
>speed (in-battle)
HP loss animations were suffering.
>>
>>33077716
And it's CUTE!!!!!!!
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.