[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Pokemon get away with being so buggy and dated compared

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: missingnobattle[1].png (2KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
missingnobattle[1].png
2KB, 320x288px
How did Pokemon get away with being so buggy and dated compared to other JRPGs of the time? Stuff like the Special Split and Physical/Special split is stuff that should have been there from the beginning.
>>
>>33051302
By having 150 available varied party members, and making the whole genre seem far more accessible to children than it was at the time. Its innovations were less in terms of becoming a good game, and more in terms of filling a gap previously filled by like... Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, and nothing.
>>
Because it's motherfuckin Pokemon, nigga. It's more than the sum of it's parts. Old games were fun, that's all that mattered.
>>
>>33051302
The glitches only added to the fun and mystery. Ex. missingno.
>>
I remember as a kid that everyone used to pronounce it as Missingo
>>
It was the cleanest GB RPG at the time and was the first game to do what it did in the way it did, other "monster collectors" people cite either do not have it as a major focus and merely a footnote, or have a very rigid structure of your monsters never really growing stronger unless you break out the Game Genie and instead just act as stepping stones to get you through the game to be discarded for entirely different, objectively better monsters as they become available
>>
>>33051302
a lot of JRPGs of the time were buggy as hell as well - Pokemon just got a lot more of it cartalogued because of its popularity and rumors circulating the early internet.
>>
I don't tend to find glitches myself while playing games but I remember playing Blue, finding a wild rattata, and the sprite becoming a blurry square and the music getting all wierd and never stopping. I threw the cartridge because I thought it got possessed by a demon, that was creepy as fuck.
>>
PokeMania saved GameFreak from being laughed out of the industry.
>>
>>33051377
>just act as stepping stones to get you through the game to be discarded for entirely different, objectively better monsters as they become available

You do realize that's the way pokemon is intended to be played? Why do you think there's such a disconnect between fully-evolved bug types near the beginning of the game and stuff like pseudolegends near the end?
>>
>>33051302
Small team plagued with delays and revamps. Game took 6 years to complete and it was their first RPG.
>>
>>33051302
>so buggy
Stopped there millenial newfriend, you never played this game, did you?
>>
No move descriptions so how would you know something was working wrong?
>>
>>33052063
The people who played this game when they were kids are millennials. Learn what words are before you use them, retard.
>>
>>33052063
>g1
>not buggy
nice meme, genwun
>>
>>33051302
>Physical/Special split is stuff that should have been there from the beginning.
I'm not arguing that it wasn't a nice change, but it wasn't really that necessary for the game.
>>
>>33052108
Yeah and how do you trigger all those flashy glitches newfriend? Playing Normally?
Many of them were discovered five, six, even 7 or 10 years after its release for a reason.
>>33052074
I was 19 when RG were released in Japan, fucking underaged millennial.
>>
File: maybe.jpg (24KB, 583x328px) Image search: [Google]
maybe.jpg
24KB, 583x328px
>>33052218
Leave then, you dusty old skeleton.
>>
>haha le gen 1 was so glitchy meme xD

Want to know how I can tell that you never actually played a gen 1 game?

>>33052108
And how many of these are you going to ever encounter in normal gameplay you faggot?
>>
File: 1478886891687.png (493KB, 1280x764px) Image search: [Google]
1478886891687.png
493KB, 1280x764px
>M-MUH GLITCHES
you barely ever notice them unless you try and trigger them on purpose.

>M-MUH PHYS/SPECIAL SPLIT
I swear this is the most overrated fucking feature in this franchise. Yes it's nice but it's hardly essential to what the gameplay is.

>M-MUH DATED COMPARED TO OTHER JRPGS
Give examples. I bet you're either going to post 16-bit console shit that isn't comparable to a 8-bit handheld or JRPGs that have just as many bugs.

Pokemon was successful because the gameplay is good. No other game had that many characters to use WITH multiplayer on top of that. The "gen 1 is so glitchy it's unplayable and horrible!" is a fucking meme spouted by underage anti-genwun bandwagoners who didn't actually play gen 1.
>>
File: 1438546914735.gif (1MB, 290x189px) Image search: [Google]
1438546914735.gif
1MB, 290x189px
>"gen 1 wasn't glitchy, my nostalgia told me so!"
>gets shown all the glitches in gen 1, even ones you can encounter on your own under entirely normal circumstances
>"d-doesn't count you underage faggot!"
every time
>>
>>33052350
show me glitches that actually negatively impact gameplay and can actually be encountered on a normal average playthrough. I'll wait.
>>
>>33052310
This, this, THIS SO MUCH.
And I prefer new gens over the old ones, before you start to call me with some buzzwords.
>>
File: the gen 1 problem chart.jpg (347KB, 780x1048px) Image search: [Google]
the gen 1 problem chart.jpg
347KB, 780x1048px
>>33052368
this list is almost entirely battle glitches and other assorted nonsense
there's also a bunch here >>33052108 that can be encountered in regular gameplay, such as the invisible PC
infact a bunch of them were fixed in yellow, which indicates they were found when people first played the games
>>
>>33052399
I said post glitches that actually negatively impact gameplay and can actually be encountered on a normal average playthrough. Not a meme image that whines about a bunch of crap nobody notices or aren't even glitches.
>>
>>33052416
>posts glitches that negatively impact gameplay that can be encountered on a normal average playthrough
>d-doesn't count
when will you accept the fact that gen 1 is not as flawless as you remember it being
>>
>>33052416
>Move says it increases crit ratio
>Glitched so it actually lowers it
>"There's no negative impact from any glitch that you don't have to follow a guide to trigger guys!"
>>
>>33052442
>>posts glitches that negatively impact gameplay that can be encountered on a normal average playthrough

But he didn't. He posted a meme anti-genwunner image.

>>33052448
No one uses Focus Energy.
>>
>>33052442
Nice strawman
>>
Here's a list of glitches that can either be encountered in normal gameplay, or are extremely easy to perform in Red and Blue
Evolutionary stone bypassing
Indoors fishing oversight
Invisible PC access
Lift key overworld misplacement
Overworld sprite misplacement
Bide errors
Catch rate errors
Counter glitches
Critical hit ratio error
Cut glitch
Defrost move forcing
Dual-type damage misinformation
Exp. All oversight
Ghost Marowak bypassing
Haze opponent crippling
HP recovery move failure
Hyper Beam + Sleep move glitch
Invulnerability glitch
Level-up learnset skipping
Menu glitch
Mirror Move glitch
Pallet Town NPC misplacement
Psywave desynchronization
Stat modification errors
Statue water tile oversight
Struggle bypassing
Substitute HP drain bug
Substitute sprite vanishing
Substitute + Confusion glitch
Toxic counter glitches
Trapping sleep glitch
Victory Road Bicycle music quirk
>>
>>33052620

A level-up triggers evolution the same way the stones do.

Which stone would have been needed depends on which Mon to switch to to trigger the level-up: Fire Stone requires a Missingno. (hex value x20), Thunder Stone a Growlithe, Moon Stone an Exeggutor, Leaf Stone a Psyduck, and Water Stone (ironically) an Onix.

These Mons' Special identifiers match the identifiers of the respective stones.

Detecting a used item and detecting what Mon is active use the same variable: 01xx91cf - RB, 01xx90cf - Y.
>>
I didn't know there were so many genwunners on /vp/, damn.
>>
>>33051696
Sounds like the 90% of pokemon Creepypasta
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.