[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who wasn't bothered by cutscenes in SM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

Am I the only one who wasn't bothered by cutscenes in SM at all? They are one of the biggest criticisms I see among people who complain about the game. I could understand they would be annoying if you just wanted to replay the game, but for a first playthrough, they didn't seem bad to me at all and they allowed me to feel a strong connection with all the characters and see them grow and develop, just like in BW which was also very story-driven.
>>
>>33050686
I play Pokémon games for the Pokémon and not for the story.
>>
>>33050686
Most of /vp/ have probably not played a real JRPG so they don't know just how bad excessive cutscenes can get
>>
>>33050686
>could understand they would be annoying if you just wanted to replay the game
that's it, Sun and Moon is the only pokémon game I have no desire to replay whatsoever
it doesn't help that there's almost no postgame AGAIN
>>
>>33050686
The tutorial island bullshit was pretty fucking bad even for a first playthrough.
>>
Honestly, I have no problem with cutscenes as long as they're nice and they're placed properly. A problem with SM's cutscenes is that a lot of them are wholly unnecessary, or aren't placed properly in regards to the game's pacing.
>>
File: just_leave.png (262KB, 668x393px) Image search: [Google]
just_leave.png
262KB, 668x393px
I don't mind it.
>>
>>33050702
I played a ton of JRPGs and in my opinion S&M are bad games, they have a lot of cutscenes but that don't make it a good JRPG: the cutscenes are annoying and obnoxious and every 20 steps there's a cutscene, the Pokémon distribution is horrible, the game is easy af (and I didn't use the Exp. Share), and the totem battles are the worst for how bad optimized they are.
>>
>>33050702
>it's okay for Pokemon to have long, annoying cutscenes because other games have long, annoying cutscenes
How's Gamefreak's cock taste?
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 704x396px
>>33050702
it wouldn't be a problem if the plot was actually decent
Kamen Rider W, a show designed to sell 12-year-old japanese boys action figures, has a better plot dealing with a disfunctional family than SUMO
I've read VNs with no player input at ALL and enjoyed myself more than when I was slogging through those terrible cutscenes
>>
>>33050686
>they allowed me to feel a strong connection with all the characters and see them grow and develop
Except no one grew or developed besides Lillie who just did a complete 90 degree turn in her personality with no buildup whatsoever.

Just because there's a lot of dialogue doesn't mean that the characters develop, most of the dialogue in this game is extremely one-dimensional and the characters talk a lot without actually saying anything.
>>
>>33050728
Since when are you ever meant to replay Pokémon games? There's only one save file in all of them.
>>
>>33050877
Since "New Game" was always given as an option
>>
File: 1499448163788.png (18KB, 468x233px) Image search: [Google]
1499448163788.png
18KB, 468x233px
>>33050702
I wouldn't have had a problem with them if I actually liked the story. I hate the story of SM, to me it's a mess. The dialogue is awful to me. And I didn't want to save Lusamine at all, I had no reason to keep on going with this shit.
>>
>>33050888
And delete all your progress with things like conquering the Battle Tree or getting all the Mega Stones? No thanks.
>>
>>33050701
Fpbp

BW set the trend for trying too hard on the story
>>
>>33050924
And yet everyone on this board endlessly praises Gen 5. Makes you think.
>>
>>33050924
That poster here, I really liked BW/BW2.

These games combined a good story with a good gameplay, they're my favorite Pokémon games.
>>
>>33050934
nice meme, gen 5 is extremely polarizing here and everywhere else. B2W2 get praised because it has postgame and content instead of an obtrusive story and little postgame.
>>
>>33050934
Makes me think the Pokemon of Gen 5 were some of the most expansive to the series and set up a great meta game.
Like the first post said, people play for the Pokemon, not the lower than the anime tier story.
>>
>>33050959
>Gen 5 is extremely polarizing guys! We don't suck it's dick all the time!
>B2W2 get praised because it has postgame and content instead of an obtrusive story and little postgame
>Nope! No Gen 5 bias at all!
>>
Just let us skip the cutscenes if we want. Those who want to have the story can still have it while those who just want to blaze through or don't care can avoid it. It wasn't really necessary before Gen 5 as most text or animated cutscene stuff was brief or could be sped through, but now we need that skip option.
>>
>>33051013
y-yeah everyone likes gen 5 here! It's not like we don't have people constantly shitting on it or anything
>>
>>33051013
gen 5 had postgame and a decent story that didn't interupt gameplay every 15 minutes with your trainer's creepy blank smile
>>
>>33050924
the difference was that BW's story was actually interesting instead of DUDE MY MOM IS OBSESSED WITH AYY LMAOS and they still managed to tell it without forcing cutscenes constantly.
>>
>>33051013
Gen V is extremely polarizing. /vp/ is just full of the side that dicksucks everything it does but only when it does it.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 1180x842px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 1180x842px
>>33050980
>great metagame when it introduced weather wars
>not an anime tier story
So you didn't actually play BW then. You're just shitposting to add fuel to the Unovabortion fire. Got it.

>>33051049
It's almost as if far fewer people on /vp/ shit on Gen 5 compared to all the unfair hate SM gets. Oh wait.
>>33049823
>>33050651
>>33048350
>>33042578
>>33049430
>>
>>33051088
>unfair
lol
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 1398x795px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 1398x795px
I think I just realized what the worst part of SUMO is. How many times does Lillie tell Nebby to get in the bag? If nebby were out of the picture for most of the story, things would have been much less insufferable.
>>
>>33051088
weather wars was unironically better than the crap that is today's OU
>>
>>33051088
>unfair
you're not wrong, but I also never said anything about SM.
>>
SM's story>>>>>>BW's story.
This is a fact.
>>
>>33051134
That doesn't mean it had a great metagame.
>>
>>33051145
i've never seen anyone so wrong
>>
>>33051145
Sure. But this thread is about the cut scenes that made everyone short fused with the story.
>>
>>33051088
>unfair

Some of it is overblown or misplaced, but it does deserve the amount of shit it gets. Or in other words, it's shit, but people don't actually get why it's shit.
>>
File: tenor.gif (2MB, 361x200px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
2MB, 361x200px
>>33051149
>MUST...DEFEND...GEN...5!!!!!
>>
>>33051145
>a pile of shit is better than a bigger pile of shit
They're both pretty bad tbqhwyfam
>>
>>33051145
SM is a shitty late night seasonal anime plot, BW is a shitty shounen manga plot.

Clearly, the direction Pokemon needs to go is that of a shojo anime or manga.
>>
File: 63655706_p15_master1200.jpg (231KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
63655706_p15_master1200.jpg
231KB, 512x512px
>>33050686
No, I wasn't bothered at all.
Excepting a little bit for the credits one, it was maybe too much...
>>
Same anon as >>33051088 here.
I forgot to mention that even the anime of SM gets so much more hate compared to every other one.
>>
It's not the cutscenes and text that are bad, what's bad is how fucking BORING they all are. Almost all of them consist of standing around while some idiot waves their hands in front of themselves or smiles and puts their hands on the back of their head. The outliers are an Ultra Beast slowly gliding around, and a scene with Koko and Buzzwole flying into eachother, a cutscene with ZERO impact on the story at all. Also these boring cutscenes are unskippable, because hearing Gateway Waifu tell her cloud to get back in the bag is VITAL to the story.

Games like MGS do loads of cutscenes, but there it's actually interesting because there's interesting dialogue and shit actually HAPPENING in the cutscenes instead of people standing around chatting. Also, if you didn't want to hang around for the 8 hours of cutscene there, you can skip them.
>>
>>33051211
That's because SM's anime is currently airing.
>>
File: IMG_1896.png (212KB, 500x583px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1896.png
212KB, 500x583px
Honestly, no, not until the end scenes at least. With a silent protag you end up needing the other characters to carry the story for you. They could have been a lot better, but they don't bug me too much.

Not letting you save prior to a forced encounter with a tapu is just a dick move
>>
>>33051452
This. Not only that, there's still Amourshippers and Actionfags who won't accept that SM is basically Slice of Life Filler until Generation 8.
>>
>>33050686

They didn't bother me, but I wish they had a skip option for future playthroughs because I can see them getting tiring quickly.
>>
File: myson.jpg (53KB, 500x630px) Image search: [Google]
myson.jpg
53KB, 500x630px
>>33050701
this, that's why I actually liked SM; almost all the new pokemon and forms were pretty good in my opinion
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.