[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I never played 2nd Gen Pokemon (plz no bully), should I play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: 250px-HeartGold_EN_boxart.jpg (31KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
250px-HeartGold_EN_boxart.jpg
31KB, 250x228px
I never played 2nd Gen Pokemon (plz no bully), should I play Gold/Silver/Crystal or just go straight to the remakes?
>>
>>33039041
Heh, both are good, but play the Remakes.
>>
Remakes
>>
>>33039041
If you did not play the originals in your childhood you would not like them now
>>
>>33039041
Remake.
The amount of added materials make the remakes 2 of the very best Pokemon games ever, in my opinion.
If you can, play GS then the remakes. Crystal is better than GS but it's similar to the remakes story-wise.
>>
Remakes are better games but the VC release of the originals will grant handy imports (regenerator Ho-oh)
>>
>>33039078
Why not?
>>
File: 1498665844213.jpg (79KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
1498665844213.jpg
79KB, 500x616px
>>33039105
this CAN NOT come soon enough
>>33039041
so i guess OP play the remakes, then play one of the VCs, because like >>33039081 said, even though i'm telling you to do the opposite (instead play remakes THEN play GS), the story of crystal is closer to the remakes.
>>
File: Hibiki.png (792KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
Hibiki.png
792KB, 800x550px
Both games have their own advantages.
Gold and Silver are the base games.
Crystal includes plenty of additions that make GS a smoother experience, just like how Emerald or Platinum add things to fix some flaws RS and DP have. These include making contacts on your phone more useful, like Schoolboy Alan handing out Fire Stones, or Pokefan Beverly giving out Nuggets every now and then. Encounter rates have been improved drastically. You no longer have certain Johtomons be so rare, like Snubbull or Marill, and can get an early Growlithe, though it does get rid of some mons like Mareep's line, like how Emerald removes Roselia and Platinum gets rid of Murkrow. The music has a pretty different tone from the remakes' remixes, though there are some things missing, most notably, most Kanto towns use the Saffron theme rather than remixes.
HGSS introduces plenty of side content to keep players interested. These include the Pokeathlon, Pokewalker features, the Safari Zone, rematches, Frontier, and if you're playing an international version, Voltorb Flip. The encounter rates are from GS, so while Mareep exists again, it'd take you a while to get Marill and other mons. Legendaries play a bigger role, you have to fight Ho-Oh to beat the game. GB Sounds also exists if you dislike the remixes, but it shows up a bit too late and isn't all that faithful to the chiptunes.

It all depends on what you prefer. Crystal streamlines the maingame, HGSS has great side content.
>>
>>33039220
Is there an eta on the VC release or nah?
>>
>>33039041
The originals have an atmosphere that the remakes couldnt capture. Or maybe its the nostalgia I dont know.

Id still play the originals if I were you.
>>
Worth checking out G/S/C if you're interested in

- seeing how the game was balanced back then
- appreciating the spriteart
- other stuff
>>
>>33039172
Significant problems caused by older gens' conditions that lack QoL changes made later on.

These include:
-No running shoes
-Simple square/square/triangle/noise soundcard that may be grating for some, if they want to enjoy music otherwise (I personally enjoy it, but some people I know get headaches from it)
-No Special/Physical split
-Shinies objectively inferior to most other Pokemon
-Females worse at being physical attackers except in 100% female species
-Less postgame (depending on if you care or not)
-Slot Machines are more RNG reliant than Voltorb Flip, so getting things from the Game Corner is a lot more tedious
>>
>>33039041
Heart Gold, if you like it go back to Crystal.
>>
>>33039041
Remakes
>>
>>33039172
>Physical/Special split
>Shit storage system
>Many other small details

Would also like the fact that if you play the original versions, then the fun factor in playing HG/SS will be much smaller, so just directly go HG/SS. + you won't miss anything from Crystal since HG/SS has it all covered.
>>
>>33039785
>square/square/triangle/noise soundcard
What?
>>
>>33040314
Four channels. Two square, one triangle, one noise. Square channels are the beeps and boops of "8-bit" music. Triangle are the usually-low-pitched pulses frequently used for the bass. Noise is the staticky sound used as percussion, and also for a lot of electric/explosive sound effects. This is also the reason that, in Gen 1 and 2, sound effects stopped part of the music.
>>
>>33040325
thanks. It's always nice to learn something new
>>
File: RYQJUFY.jpg (57KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
RYQJUFY.jpg
57KB, 429x600px
GSC are my favorites, but mostly for subjective reasons.

HGSS are not only superior, but quite possibly the best games in the series.
>>
Looks like it's HeartGold after I finish FireRed, ty for the help anons
>>
Played Silver back in the day and am currently playing Platinum
Should I play SS afterwards or go straight to Gen V?
>>
>>33040354
The NES has a similar soundcard, but with an added DPCM channel for samples. The reason Megaman music is so melodically simple is because one square channel is pretty much reserved for sound effects. I know at least the mega buster and teleport sound effects are square sounds, and most of the others sound distinctly square as well.
>>
>>33040514

I'd play SS first. Gen V offers some QoL changes that you'd probably miss if you play BW before SS.
>>
>>33040541
I meant more if SS gives a good playthrough or if it'd be better to skip it entirely and just go to BW immediately after Platinum
>>
>>33040550

Oh I would definitely not skip SS, even if you played the originals.
>>
>>33040587
All right, thanks!
>>
>>33039598
>>
File: blastoise.gif (6KB, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
blastoise.gif
6KB, 56x56px
I'm my subjective personal opinion, Crystal is worth a try for the fantastic aesthetics it has. The night time in that game feels great.
Plus it's probably the game with the best sprite work.
>>
>>33039172
They aged
>>
>>33039041
Straight to remakes.

In fact, if you had played the originals, I'd advise against playing HG/SS because they didn't change enough. They added a lot of glitter but didn't fix any of the game's problems.
>>
>>33039041
I'd suggest both but if you really couldn't be bothered, playing just the remakes is fine.

Remakes are technically remakes of Crystal with G/S encounters and Yellow features plus additions (including a bad attempt at a side story involving the legends which is ultiumately rather pointless) so they're definitely the better of the two sets.
>>
>>33039041
remake.

start with HeartGold.
you can still play Crystal later.

plus, first pokemon in the team following you around is a cool ass feature that no other game did.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.