[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Main game rate thread. I'm curious. I want your personal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 20

File: Rate Shit.png (684KB, 418x1460px) Image search: [Google]
Rate Shit.png
684KB, 418x1460px
Main game rate thread.

I'm curious. I want your personal opinion/personal enjoyment level.
No judgement, I'm just curious as to if there's a common game people on here really love, or really hate.

Feel free to give your reasoning as to why, or don't.

I, personally, measure mine between how enjoyable the game was on the first playthrough, and how much I'm willing to replay it, as well as how much I enjoyed the music, aesthetic, etc. of the game. So, for example, I love Crystal and HGSS, and replay them frequently, I also find myself replaying B2W2 more often than I thought I would.

I've replayed FRLG a handful of times and each time it's been boring and unfulfilling and I've give up half way through because of how dull it is; same with XY and ORAS but to a lesser extent.

Blank below.
>>
File: Base.png (14KB, 418x1460px) Image search: [Google]
Base.png
14KB, 418x1460px
>>
>>33025138
This taste is so... odd. I've never seen a taste so unconventional before.
>>
>>33025138
>I've replayed FRLG a handful of times and each time it's been boring and unfulfilling and I've give up half way through because of how dull it is
I never understood how someone can love the original Red and Blue yet not like the remakes. It would make some sense if you just really hated the 3rd gen aesthetic but you love Emerald so that's not it
>>
>>33025138
weirdest taste indeed.
is there any real, scientific cons to play FRLG instead of Red or blue?
>>
>>33025138
>FRLG in unplayable
They were good games you faggot
>b-but muh postgame
Pokemon games never have good postgames, so stop whining
>>
>>33025138
How the hell does Yellow get that far below Red and Blue?
>>
File: 1500049279632.png (840KB, 681x1246px) Image search: [Google]
1500049279632.png
840KB, 681x1246px
>>33025138
Idk whats the problem with FRLG it was pretty gud desu
>>
>>33025215
I never said anything about the post game...? I don't care about post game content.

>>33025198
Really? I didn't think it was that unconventional.

>>33025213
Well, HGSS fixed a lot of the problems that were in the original G/S (I'm not talking graphically or tech-wise, I mean in-game), but FRLG fixed nothing from R/B, and in parts only made it worse. I mean, FRLG was basically just straight up R/B, which... I don't know, in a remake, I expect them to fix problems with the original games, like pacing, lack of difficult/challenge, etc. which they did with HGSS and to some extent ORAS (though barely).

>>33025238
It's R/B with more restrictions. Though it did have some interesting parts. I'd rather just play R/B rather than Y.
>>
>>33025294
>more restrictions
Like getting all 3 original starters? The surfing minigame?
>>
Top:
>BW2, HGSS

Great:
>BW, Emerald, Platinum

Very good:
>SM, ORAS, FRLG

Good:
>XY, DP, RS

Used to be good but didn't age well:
>GSC, RBY
>>
>AESTHETICS tier
Crystal, XY
>bias because I grew up where this takes place tier
BW2
>has a lot of cool shit tier
Emerald, ORAS
>just plain solid tier
FRLG
>it exists tier
DPPt
>it's shit but it's fun to mess with tier
RGBY
>killed my dog tier
HGSS
>actually hate these tier
BW1, SM
>who cares tier
GS, RS
>>
File: gamesrating.png (1MB, 1162x1114px) Image search: [Google]
gamesrating.png
1MB, 1162x1114px
>>
>>33025425
This God Tier and Bad Tier placement better be a joke
>>
File: Main game tier list July 2017.png (799KB, 509x1321px) Image search: [Google]
Main game tier list July 2017.png
799KB, 509x1321px
>>33025138

>Favorite tier: HG/SS & B2W2
Always loved Gen II and the remakes were great for all the little details and QoL improvements like run toggle and berry pots. Johto and Kanto looked great in the Gen IV style and having Platinum's Frontier was a nice addition since I skipped Platinum originally. B2W2 pushed Gen V very far with its improvements. The new areas were enjoyable and so was the new progression through the map. The PWT was excellent for seeing all the gym leaders and champions of the world come together on a level playing field. A more organizable bag was a godsend after Gen IV. Lastly the Habitat list was also a nice predecessor to the DexNav.

>Great tier: GSC & Emerald
I was really pleased with Gen II when it first came out and still like them for that colorful Gameboy aesthetic. New pokemon, types, region, gyms, and a post game of rechallenging the original 8 gyms with new teams. All this blew me away as a kid. Emerald stood out since the journey involved fighting both enemy teams which I thought was cool. That pivotal scene at Sootopolis with all three legends present still gets me pumped. The Frontier was a cool idea for a postgame, even though I only really played the Factory, battling with rentals was engaging and unexpected of what would show up next.

>Good tier: RBY FRLG RS BW
Everything in this list I can still easily come back to and have a good time. The originals still hold up in their simplicity, even though they have some weird glitches, and I like almost all of the Kanto mons. The remakes were fine as well and it was nice having some Dark moves to deal with Psychics and the Sevii Islands were a fun addition. Sapphire really pulled me in with this region and another crop of excellent choices for Pokemon. A new enemy team and neutrality with Team Magma got me thinking that maybe they weren't all bad (never played Ruby so that's a moot point now.) Plus it gave me my top bro mon to this day, Swampert.

(cont.)
>>
>>33026216

(Cont.)

Black and White helped me a lot with series fatigue after my disappointment with Diamond and Pearl. They felt like a soft reboot with only new Pokemon allowed and returning back to Route 1 number scheme far removed from the other regions geographical system. I was also interested how it was based on NYC. I was invested in the plot since it asked questions about the ethics of pokemon capture and battling. The linearity of the map and an excessive number of rivals was a shame, but I can appreciate BW's dedication to only using new mons in its region and they had plenty to work with again blowing out last gen's.

>Meh tier: Platinum, ORAS, SM
Platinum made some good changes to Gen IV such as faster surfing and more fire mons available. The Distortion World was cool too even though it's rather brief. I've picked Platinum up numerous times but only completed it once, despite liking Sinnoh, the slow battles can drag on, especially in the Open Level Battle Factory where 1 hit KOs can still take ten seconds to deplete the health bar. ORAS made things too easy at times but I still loved hunting with the DexNav. Delta episode wasn't that substantial either, especially how it neutered the Sky Pillar to walking exposition. Sun and Moon had somecoll things like the Trials, Totem Pokemon, and Z-Crystals, but there were far too many cutscenes which keeps me from wanting to play through again.

Bad: XY
Didn't like the friendly rivals at all in this one, and it's such a shame their different roles had potential but weren't used fully, like Trevor catching more pokemon or Tierno being a contest competitor. The amount of new pokes felt really barebones as well and I just didn't care for most of them.

>Unplayable tier: DP
Platinum rendered these two completely obsolete. The awful speeds, lack of fire pokemon when needed, and the most unoriginal Dex of filler prevos and Evos (surpassing Johto's) cements DP as the worst of the mainline games for me.
>>
Good taste OP.

Favorite tier
>BW2
>HGSS

Great tier
>SM

Good tier
>Emerald

Meh tier
>Platinum
>Crystal
>BW

Bad tier
>RS
>GS
>FRLG

Awful tier
>ORAS
>XY

Unplayable
>Yellow
>RB
>DP

This is objective fact.
>>
>>33025138
Favorite tier
>S&M

Great tier
>Platinum

Good tier
>HGSS

Meh tier
>Platinum
>BW
>ORAS

Bad tier
>DP

Awful Tier
>XY
>>
>>33026859
>>33026911
>SM that high
Nice bait here's the (You)
>>
>>33026936
Not baiting its just I don't mind lots of story and cut scenes in my game, I mean its not like Pokemon has ever had that good gameplay.
>>
File: roastme.png (1MB, 1269x1142px) Image search: [Google]
roastme.png
1MB, 1269x1142px
I'm not including the games I considered outdated.
>>
File: Main series ranking.png (2MB, 1989x1462px) Image search: [Google]
Main series ranking.png
2MB, 1989x1462px
I like story/lore in the games personally.
>>
>>33025138
Favourite Tier
>BW
>BW2
>Emerald

Great Tier
>D/P/Pt
>HG/SS
>Crystal

"Well, was good, but they could improve more" Tier
>R/S
>G/S
>OR/AS
>FR/LG
>X/Y

>No Meh Tier (every version has something special, except...)

Unplayable Tier
>R/G/B/Y
>>
>>33027091
Mah nigga SM has one of the best world building in the series.
>>
>Best
HGSS, BW2

>Great
Platinum, BW, Emerald

>Good
GSC, FRLG

>Meh
RS, DP, RBY

>Bad
XY, SM
>>
/bump/
>>
My hate for gen 5 will never let me enjoy B2W2. I envy you guys.
>>
Doing them in order of preference and in tiers
-----------God tier-----------
>BW2
>Emerald
>HGSS
>BW
-----------Great tier-----------
>FRLG
>Platinum
-----------Good tier-----------
>RS
>XY
------Good for their time but bad now tier-----
>DP
-----------God forsaken shit tier-----------
>SM
>>
>>33027655
Forgot to mention but I've never played ORAS
>>
>>33025138
This is a list of omitting the first versions and originals if they have a remake except if I can't otherwise
>Favorite
Emerald, Platinum
>Great
HGSS, BW2,
>Good
ORAS, FRLG, SM, BW1, Yellow
>OK
XY, Crystal
>>
File: 1499316281242.jpg (106KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1499316281242.jpg
106KB, 640x1136px
7>6>2>5>4>1>3
>>
Played (finished, didn't necessarily do Battle facilities or complete the Pokédex)
>Red (Japanese, emulated) - post-game done
>Silver (English, GBC) - post-game done
>Ruby (English, GBA SP) - post-game done
>FireRed (English, GBA SP) - post-game done
>Emerald (English, GBA SP) - post-game done
>Diamond (English, Nintendo DS Lite) - post-game done
>Platinum (English, Nintendo DSi) - post-game done

Unfinished
>Pearl (English, Nintendo DS Lite, mostly screwed around with an Action Replay)
>HeartGold (English, Nintendo DSi, Azalea Town)
>SoulSilver (English, Nintendo DSi, Violet City)
>Black (English, Nintendo DSi, Pokémon League)
>White (English, Nintendo DSi, Striaton City)
>X (English, Nintendo 3DS, just beat Grant)
>Sun (English, New Nintendo 3DS XL, Gladion pre-League battle)

Haven't played and don't own
>Green
>Blue (Japanese)
>Red (English)
>Blue (English)
>Pikachu/Yellow
>Gold
>Crystal
>Sapphire
>LeafGreen
>Black 2
>White 2
>Y
>Omega Ruby
>Alpha Sapphire
>Moon

My thoughts:
Generation I Pokémon is super basic and not exactly the most stable game, but it nails the very basic formula and there's something to be said for its simplicity. Completing the Pokédex is a reasonable task and the entire game can be 100%'d without too much trouble. I wanted to play Red in Japanese over anything else because it was the very core experience, as Pokémon as you could get.

Generation II Pokémon is an improvement in just about every way and I think it's one of the few generations where Game Freak really wanted to outdo themselves. Bigger manages to be better in this case, and while it's clear that there were cuts here and there (particularly around Kanto), it was a really ambitious game and a good amount pays off. I don't think the English Crystal offers enough to make it a must-play, but if the GB Mobile Adapter worked and you had all the functionality of the Japanese game, I would be much more inclined to play it.
>>
Generation III Pokémon felt like it was trying to refine the systems set in place by previous games, but it couldn't do it all at once so it cut out a bunch of stuff and left it to later games to add them back. I think that Hoenn has questionable design decisions and the plot of RSE is poor. I can understand what you mean by FRLG being a bit boring. They have more content, but there's not enough flair to really let it stand out.

Generation IV Pokémon may be my favorite. I think that Diamond and Pearl were really strong entries into the series, and it felt like they were full improvements over Gen II and III rather than half-improvements. Platinum was a refinement of that, and it's one of the most solid games in the franchise. HGSS have all the flair that FRLG were lacking, and are true love letters to the games they're based on.

Generation V, particularly Black and White, felt kinda bland I guess. From what I've seen and heard of B2W2, they address pretty much all of my concerns and add a heaping load of fanservice and content as well to become games that can stand with Platinum and HGSS.

Generation VI Pokémon is kind of hard for me to speak of since I didn't too far in X and didn't play ORAS. My main problem was that there were too many things making it easy and using Pokémon-Amie was a mistake on my part. I want to give it another chance though because I can see elements of it that look fun that I didn't get to experience. I don't particularly have high hopes for ORAS though.

Generation VII Pokémon so far is a mixed bag. It's far more linear and has so many cutscenes. There are actual difficult battles from time to time (Totem Pokémon, Lusamine's Clefable, Gladion's pre-League team) if you don't overlevel or use Poké Refresh, but it feels about as bare as Gen I Kanto. Where's the CONTENT?

tl;dr
Top Tier
>HGSS, Platinum, B2W2

Good Tier
>Emerald, DP

Alright Tier
>FRLG, BW, XY, SM

Disappointing Tier
>RS, ORAS

Classic Tier
>Gen I, Gen II
>>
>>33027212
too bad it doesn't do anything with it.
>>
File: games.png (789KB, 557x1374px) Image search: [Google]
games.png
789KB, 557x1374px
Give me your worst
>>
>>33028038
>Give me your worst
You already gave it with that list. I hope you brush your teeth after eating that shit.
>>
All time favourite is Crystal, but even that I rank low

Because I genuinely believe that almost every game is better than the previous

GRB < Y < GS < C < RS > FRLG < E < DP < Pt < HGSS < BW < B2W2 > XY < ORAS < SM
>>
File: r8mytaste.png (642KB, 418x1460px) Image search: [Google]
r8mytaste.png
642KB, 418x1460px
Feel free to call this shit.
>>
>>33028265
Who hurt you?
>>
>>33025213
Red and Blue have lots of fun glitches to exploit
>>
File: Best to worst top to bottom.png (266KB, 561x1166px) Image search: [Google]
Best to worst top to bottom.png
266KB, 561x1166px
>>
>>33025425
you were doing so good until bad tier
>>
>>33025138
>favorite
BW2
HGSS
>Great
Emerald
Platinum
>Good
SM
BW1
ORAS
FRLG
GSC
>Meh
DP
RS
>Bad
RBY
>Awful
XY
>>
File: 1500049279632.png (870KB, 1910x1446px) Image search: [Google]
1500049279632.png
870KB, 1910x1446px
Deal with it
>>
>>33025138
You have solid taste, my list is near-identical
>>
File: games.png (813KB, 945x1360px) Image search: [Google]
games.png
813KB, 945x1360px
>>
>>33031497
finally someone with taste
>>
>>33031497
This is a troll post I can tell
>>
>>33031669
>you have unconventional taste in video games,which means that you are a troll

Kys fag
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (138KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
138KB, 1280x720px
>>33025138
this > all that main games
>>
>>33032201
putting DP over Platinum is either a pathetic bait or being a nostalgiafag.
>>
Everything was top, Sun and Moon are not quite as good as the rest though. Also this >>33032663
>>
File: my personal rating.png (781KB, 504x1460px) Image search: [Google]
my personal rating.png
781KB, 504x1460px
>>33025138
Literally could not play HGSS, restarted 3 times before i actually beat the whole thing.

Can you guess what gen i started with
>>
>>
File: game ranking.png (790KB, 366x2450px) Image search: [Google]
game ranking.png
790KB, 366x2450px
>>
I just bought omega ruby off amazon for $5, was i ripped off?
>>
File: rank.png (634KB, 688x956px) Image search: [Google]
rank.png
634KB, 688x956px
FRLF are god-awful. XY and BW are underrated.
>>
File: rank.png (799KB, 828x1196px) Image search: [Google]
rank.png
799KB, 828x1196px
>>33025138

X&Y are the best Pokemon games in the last 8 years and it really isn't close desu. I really don't know why they get raked over the coals so much. Yeah, the story was shit. So what? None of the Pokemon stories are good.
>>
>>33036057
Muh difficulty even though no Pokemon game is difficult enough to be satisfying in that regard and muh postgame even though no start of a generation has good postgame
>>
File: mainseriesr8.jpg (389KB, 418x1460px) Image search: [Google]
mainseriesr8.jpg
389KB, 418x1460px
>>33028038
You had me until you said the new ones were unplayable.
>>33030883
You have strange taste
>>33031095
Yikes
>>33031497
How is platinum bad? Explain.
>>33032925
>Liking Black and White
>>33033031
Not bad, but not good.
>>33033234
Nostalgiafag with good taste
>>33034102
Interesting....
>>33036057
The best out of all of these
>>
>>33037159
IMO, BW is the worst.
>>
>>33028265
Not bad
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.