[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you count mega evolutions, Gen 6 introduced 120 new Pokémon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2401.jpg (172KB, 920x497px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2401.jpg
172KB, 920x497px
If you count mega evolutions, Gen 6 introduced 120 new Pokémon. And if you count alolan forms, gen 7 introduced 100 new pokemon(if usm doesn't have any new alolan forms). Gen 7 doesn't introduce many new Pokémon because it's a short gen.
>>
OP here again
I'm predicting gen 8 will introduce 135
new Pokémon. But it could be reaching.
>>
if it doesn't embiggen the dex then it didn't add any new pokemon

why did people invent this method of counting? what do you gain by padding the number of pokemon we have?

nobody goes around making the argument that FRLGE introduced three new pokemon by adding Deoxys formes. They just say that they added Deoxys formes. Nobody goes around insisting that Rotom is six different pokemon, or that Greninja and Ash Greninja are utterly different, or that Giratina and Giratina-O are both new pokemon.
>>
>>32964925
Alola forms and megas are significantly different than their base forms.
>>
>>32964925
I guess your right
>>
>>32964925
Why are Timburr and Machop considered diferent pokemon, but not Alolan Vulpix or Megas?
>>
>>32965057
because they are different species
>>
>>32964826
Gen 2 actually introduced 100 Pokemon and it was not a short generation. They didn't plan on making this generation "short" either, there was so much backlash about USUM that Nintendo had to make an official statement on the switch game. And we probably won't have a switch game for at least 2 years.
>>
>>32964925
It's because they effectively play different to a significant degree.

Like >>32965057 is reasoning, Tmburr and Machop play more similarly to each other than Charizard does to Mega Charizard X. This is even further emphasized when you consider that many "new Pokemon" are pre-evolutions. So they're not even fully realized, even if they do take up dex space.

Mega's aren't new Pokemon, technically. But it is content of equal significance to new Pokemon, sometimes even greater significance. As far as I'm concerned, I only care about Final evolutions, form changes, and Megas. Those aren't always new pokemon, but they're more valuable to me than any pre-evolution.
>>
>>32964826
>If you count mega evolutions, Gen 6 introduced 120 new Pokémon.
If you count an incredibly temporary form which fulfils almost none of the functions of a normal pokemon, two sets of games almost reach the average number of new introductions.

>And if you count alolan forms, gen 7 introduced 100 new pokemon

this is fair, since alolan forms are a lot more fleshed out.

>Gen 7 doesn't introduce many new Pokémon because it's a short gen.

I mean... what? what's this supposed to mean? what's this got to do with anything?
>>
>>32965175
Except they confirmed the switch game will come in 2018
>>
>>32964826
Gen 6: 72 Pokemon + 48 Mega Evolutions = 120
Gen 7: 81 Pokémon + 18 Alolan Forms = 99
Where did the extra 1 come from?
>>
>>32964925
>if it doesn't embiggen the dex then it didn't add any new pokemon

Technically true, but I consider regional forms to be the most separate-pokemon-like forms to date.

They have different types, different stat distributions, different evolution methods, different appearances, different abilities and different movepools. They are also, often, completely separate from their alternate forms (excluding split evolutions, such as cubone)

Plus, unlike pokemon like deoxys, the forms can't be changed.

of the examples you gave, only Ash-greninja is comparable, and that's ruined by lacking most of the other characteristics (differing types, differing movepool, etc). It's more of a gimmick than a proper form.

I'm not saying that Regional Forms are the same as a whole new pokemon. but they're the most unique and fleshed out forms to date, and that makes them a lot better than any non-pokemon alternatives (forms, megas, etc.)
>>
>>32965270
>Where did the extra 1 come from?
My retardedness
>>
>>32965114
Timburr is the same species as machop.
>>
>>32964925
They do though. Alolan Pokemon have different dex entries than their Kanto forms. The list isn't longer, but there's technically more Dex content.
>>
>>32965326
Mega's do as well.
>>
>>32965203
I'd disagree.

regional forms can be argued, but megas aren't pokemon. you can't have a mega charizard in your party. you can't catch a mega. you can't trade a mega, or put a mega in the box. you can't play with a mega in refresh/amie.

Megas are low-substance forms. contrast with regional forms (almost new pokemon), or more permanent forms like wormadam. they're closer to the much more temporary form, like Origin Giratina, or castform's forms.

and since they only exist for a very brief period in battles, I'd say they're not of equal significance. If there's a place where a standard pokemon can exist or be used and a form can't (in general, not specifically), then it's a low-substance form.

So:
regional forms - High-substance.
mega evolutions - Low-substance.

at most, you'd count regional forms functionally, but not technically (so alola introduced 70ish technically, but about 100 functionally)
>>
>>32964826
Why would anyone count megas though? Those aren't new Pokemon. They're pretty much new forms. It's like counting Primal Groudon as a new Pokemon, no one is going to do it.

To be honest I feel like people say "well what if these count as new pokemon" to defend the fact that Gamefreak is steadily decreasing the amount of Pokemon released each gen. I might count Alolan forms as new Pokemon if their typing is radically different like Vulpix and Sandshrew, I guess.
>>
>>32965358
You can't do those things with it, but those things make up only a sliver of the "pokemon experience". Pokemon as it's end comes down to battling. You will be using your pokemon to battle first, foremost, and throughout their existence, where as something like amie, or viewing a Mega sprite in your party, totally pale in comparison. So when I trade my "mega charizard", I'm technically trading a Charizard holding Charizardite. So what? Why is that a significant impact?

If I give a Pokemon a Mega, it completely changes it's role whether it be straight up improving what it already does, or doing something diferent altogether, it's function is radically different. This sort of functional difference is much larger than your average regional form, and making a difference in a place that matters more. This isn't just functionally either, it also touches on design. It's entire identity shifts.

It's temporary in the sense that, it reverts back after battle, but it's less temporary than a base evolution. If I take a Charmander line, assuming I actually have interest in raising that line to it's fullest potential, Charmander stays a Charmander for 16 levels. Mega Charizard reverts back after every battle, but can be re-used every single battle, and generally speaking, will almost always be used in that way. So it's temporary, yes, but also unlimited.

I think a good comparison on the opposite end of the spectrum is Baby pokemon. Would you rather a Baby pokemon be added, technically increasing the dex size and nothing more, or a new Mega stone added, which technically doesn't increase the dex size, but gives you effective more practical, meaningful content?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.