[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So when will pokemon start getting good again? Has it ever been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

So when will pokemon start getting good again? Has it ever been good? Or are you just into the series for autistic reasons?
>>
It never got bad.
>>
>>32923390
Why do I feel like you're lying to yourself
>>
>>32923403
I'm not, I still enjoy it. Maybe you're just outgrowing the series.
>>
the games were never good
>>
>>32923408
And now my heart hurts, thanks anon
>>
>>32923388
I feel it already got good again, though my expectations are set far more realistically then most here, it seems. only XY and maybe ORAS have disappointed me.
>>
File: J4NSexd.gif (1MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
J4NSexd.gif
1MB, 400x300px
>>32923418
This.
>>
>>32923388
It used to be good, but autism keeps me around anyway
>>
>>32923418
I literally just finished Sun and it made XY look like a Masterpiece. The was literally zero adventure or exploration and the last third of the game is blatantly rushed.
>>
>>32923459
XY gave 0 exploration as well, but at least I actually had to make sure my brain was on while playing SM, and even lost against Mimikyu once, compared to XY where I didn't even take a single Hit Point of damage against Diantha.
>>
>>32923483
I wasted Diantha because of Mega Blaziken, but if it weren't for the ability to import my own Pokemon from Gen 6 into Sun with Pokebank, I would've quit the game entirely. Everything about the main game was obscenely boring. Not a single location, event, or character appealed to me in the slightest.
>>
>>32923497
And that's where we differ, I liked the characters, location, and overall atmosphere much much more then XY ever did. I liked all the friends and rivals they offered, while, at best, I felt neutral towards some of the XY friends.
>>
>>
>>32923505
The game didn't offer a rival, and name a single town in Alola as vibrant as Lumiose City
>>
>>32923505
There was points in SM that felt like you were playing an anime. Like when you teamed up with Hau and Edgelord to save Lillie from the aether foundation. Like when you get to the island the bad ass music plays and everything. Some of the interactions were awesome but made me feel like I wanted to see more of it. The characters in sm actually felt like characters unlike xy where everyone was as bland as fries with no salt
>>
>>32923523
Aether was the worst villainous organization in the series by far. They either need to go back to something simple like Team Rocket or abolish the concept altogether.
>>
>>32923544
Are you saying team flare was better? I don't wanna be that guy, but anon, you have shit taste.
>>
>>32923388
>So when will pokemon start getting good again?
Depends on how the switch game goes. If it's the same shit again then that's it, pokemon will never get better barring something drastic like completely different devs taking over the series. If they're willing to experiment and go outside the norm for the new game then there may still be hope yet. Either way i believe it will fall short of expectations, but as it's (potentially) something of a fresh start im willing to cut them some slack

>Has it ever been good?
No iteration of the game has been better than bw2 in terms of content and overall polish, and none will be until they drop some of their outdated ideals. The games continue to adhere to the general design decisions that they came up with in the 90s as a small, inexperienced studio, and have barely progressed beyond that. I really don't understand why they insist on keeping this format and overall system, other than so you can keep transferring pokemon up (although there is no reason they couldn't be adjusted to fit into something mechanically different, the series runs on nostalgia and player sentimentality anyway.)

So yes, pokemon is a serviceable jrpg, if a tad outdated, but that's all it continues to be

>Or are you just into the series for autistic reasons?
Why would i be here if that wasn't the case
>>
>>32923587
Gamefreak has no excuse for the switch game sucking. They have the budget to make pokemon as great as they want. If digimon could pull some shit out like cyber sleuth then pokemon can do something even better that shits on every other monster franchise. And I don't just mean shits on it by sales because they have the biggest audience I mean go above and beyond. If Zelda and Mario are anything to go by I have high hopes for gen 8 on switch
>>
>>32923614
nintendo is going to get directly involved with game freak making pokemon:switch and make damn sure the game is a 10/10 money printer for their new console
>>
File: ayylmao.png (170KB, 277x252px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.png
170KB, 277x252px
>>32923634
>yfw gamefreak do not accept help from nintendo to preserve their identity
>>
>>32923510
Not the other guy but, gladion was the rival and I really liked Malie city.

Dude everyone keeps telling you what they liked about SM and you just keep trying to discredit there points. Why? What are you tying to accomplish by doing this? You obviously don't like the game but that's no reason to go outta of your way and try to discredit other people's reasons of why they liked SM
>>
>>32923660
It's because he's angry that SM is better than xy and doesn't want to admit it. You have to remember this 4chan dude is probably autistic
>>
>>32923660
>Dude everyone keeps telling you what they liked about SM and you just keep trying to discredit there points. Why? What are you tying to accomplish by doing this? You obviously don't like the game but that's no reason to go outta of your way and try to discredit other people's reasons of why they liked SM

Because I don't want standards for the series dropping just because the quality is. Hopefully. enough people with play Gold/Silver on the virtual console in October to remind people what good Pokemon game design looks like.

>>32923672
XY was better than SM on the merits that I didn't have to force myself to finish it. That's all.
>>
>>32923704
>GS
>good design

GS are the worst games in the series though, only XY maybe compete.
>>
>>32923714
Hey now dont get crazy! We all know gen 6 is the worst
>>
>>32923714
I still can't think of a more significant advance from one generation to the next, and I'm referring to the core game structure like a still fairly hands off experience paired with a real rival and a final boss worth fighting.
>>
>>32923634
Hearing stuff like that gives me hope.

>>32923645
Don't you dare jynx it
>>
>>32923704
>X and Y are better for personal reasons

Well discard your personal feelings for a sec and you'll realize that more people enjoyed SM then XY outside this board were it actually counts. SM is always gonna be looked at as the better game, and honestly as somebody who started with XY, it's shit.
>>
>>32923732
>SM is always gonna be looked at as the better game, and honestly as somebody who started with XY, it's shit.

I frankly don't care if it's considered better than XY as long as it's not remembered as actually being good.
>>
>>32923732
I think it's because SM is what xy should've been. It feels fresh compared to gen 6. Even though it was Pokemons leap into 3d it felt dated af
>>
>>32923725
>Hands off exprience
Sure, I'll give you, the new games force the handholding too much, its good for children but they should actually let you decline the tutorials, and condense "cutscenes" more, instead of having 5 1 minute cutscenes with a few steps between, just have 1 solid 5 minute cutscene. However, a degree if linearity is needed. the fact you can choose the order you take on the gyms to a degree in Kanto and Johto heavily contribute to them being so easy.

>A real rival
I get people like an antagonistic rival, and if this was Kanto's Gary, I'd give it, but Silver is just a complete retard who doesn't know his place. I take no pleasure from beating him, just annoyance.

>A final boss worth fighting
Fighting Red sounds good on paper, until you realize you're beating a team of 70-80(or 80-88 in HGSS) with a team of 50-60s. Talk about pathetic.
>>
>>32923741
My friends and I have talked about how SM is the type of game we expected following BW, XY was just sorta filler, I suppose.
>>
File: 1496991976331.jpg (5KB, 196x110px) Image search: [Google]
1496991976331.jpg
5KB, 196x110px
>>32923739
>I frankly don't care if it's considered better than XY as long as it's not remembered as actually being good.
I think that Sun and Moon are good games.
>>
>>32923743
>Fighting Red sounds good on paper, until you realize you're beating a team of 70-80(or 80-88 in HGSS) with a team of 50-60s. Talk about pathetic.

I don't see what's wrong with that. I've won plenty of battles with underleveled teams.
>>
>>32923388
I always liked every game of pokemon
>>
>>32923762
But they're not good. They play like babby's first RPG instead of embracing what made Pokemon unique
>>
>>32923739
Then your you probably won't wanna leave vp, like ever. Cause from what I've seen on twitter and YouTube its the exact opposite.
>>
>>32923614
>If digimon could pull some shit out like cyber sleuth
I really liked this game althought i think that in question of story and characters SM is better. Heck i couldn't like any character from this game.
>>
>>32923785
And that's a natural byproduct of those platforms being dominated by children who started with Diamond and Pearl, but as for me its a shame to see a series I've been with since its birth sink this low
>>
>>Then your you probably won't wanna leave vp, like ever. Cause from what I've seen on twitter and YouTube its the exact opposite.

>>32923739
In fact I would go on to say the SM are pretty going to be going down as one of game freaks best creations.
>>
>>32923782
>They play like Babby's first RPG

So exactly what Pokemon was, is, and will continue to be?
>>
>>32923634
>nintendo is going to get directly involved with game freak making pokemon
is this true?
in that case yeah, things might be looking up
>>
>>32923796
I think that's in part due to the translation, it was too, how you say, direct. And when translating from Japanese to English, without a bit of localization, a lot of emotion is lost and it ends up sounding robotic. Probably the biggest problem with an otherwise fantastic game.
>>
>>32923782
>They play like babby's first RPG
Well Chrono Trigger is easy as fuck too but i fucking adore it so...
>>
>>32923801
I started with Yellow. My first introduction to video games as a whole was a family friend's N64 and Stadium.

Yet, I find gens 1 and 2 to have not aged well. at all. I feel B2W2 was the peak of the series, that SM are the best "introduction" set of games.

Now, don't misunderstand one thing, I hate GSC, but I actually do like HGSS. It fixed just enough things, and modernized it enough to actually somewhat redeem the region. It couldn't fix everything, but you can only expect so much from a single game.
>>
>>32923806
>>32923813

But it never felt like a copycat in its structure and story. I almost vomited when I saw questmarkers placed on the map.
>>
>>32923388
They never got bad, just mediocre and stagnant. I blame the transition to 3D.
>>
>>32923831
So, you're upset that the series is actually getting standard features instead of being hilariously outdated in its RPG mechanics?
>>
>>32923830
I loved BW2 as well which makes the series swift and rapid decline feel even worse, and while the early games haven't aged well, their open design and simplicity makes them feel worth replaying. I will never touch anything from Gen 6 or 7 ever again

>>32923842
Yes, because then it becomes an insultingly easy and linear version of games I already played rather than a kid friendly, but unique experience.

How is walking from cutscene to cutscene every 30 seconds remotely fun? It's not like a Xenoblade Chronicles where the cutscenes are every bit as fun as the game itself.
>>
>>32923831
>I almost vomited when I saw questmarkers placed on the map.
How many rpgs did you play?
>>
>>32923868
I don't want it to be like other RPGs, that's my point.
>>
>>32923860
I will repeat what I said before, linearity is needed in RPGs to keep the level curve in tact. While SM absolutely needs to fix its "walk for 10 seconds between cutscenes" problem, this does not change the fact the early gens had a serious problem with level curve due to the unneeded openness. The very BW2 mentioned is one of the most linear experiences in the series, but that's why its level curve is so good, and helps make the game so great.
>>
>>32923889
Pokemon should try to be and RPG. It has RPG mechanics, but it should steer its design more towards Legend of Zelda than Final Fantasy.
>>
>>32923899
Shouldn't*
>>
>>32923899
I can't really comment on half that because I am unfamiliar with how Final Fantasy works, nor do I particularly care to learn, but I do know that I'm not too fond of the idea of it being like Zelda. Zelda can be as open as it wants because it does not need to be particularly concerned with levels. and a couple hearts difference won't shatter the balance. Pokemon is an RPG, and the level curve is very important. Why should I be fighting enemies with level 20 Pokemon while having 6 badges? makes no sense.
>>
>>32923934
>Pokemon is an RPG, and the level curve is very important. Why should I be fighting enemies with level 20 Pokemon while having 6 badges? makes no sense

You're playing for the wrong reason. The "challenge" should be reserved for the postgame and online modes. Otherwise it needs to focus on being an adventure.
>>
>>32923947
Obviously I'm not, Emerald, Platinum, BW2, and even SM give me what I want, meanwhile you're the one complaining that SM doesn't give you what you want.
>>
>>32923704
>ridiculously broken level curve
>good
>>
Is there no way of making trainers have mons with levels proportionate to the users highest leveled mon? In certain small increments anyway?
Inb4 high leveled horsea or caterpie in gyms.
Idk just a thought. That may or may not suck
>>
>>32923544
>Aether was the worst villainous organization in the series by far.
Aether was never the villainous organization, they are just a foundation made to help pokemon but it just happen that the president of the foundation, Lusamine, was crazy and wanted her own collection of UBs really bad.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.