[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is pokemon the last game in the universe that has random encounters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: displeased pepe.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
displeased pepe.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
Is pokemon the last game in the universe that has random encounters?

When will Gamefreak evolve past this archaic game mechanic?
>>
File: 1495875254639.jpg (6KB, 229x229px) Image search: [Google]
1495875254639.jpg
6KB, 229x229px
>implying having random encounters is a shit game mechanic
>>
>>32904423

Yeah because Sun and Moon which barely ran on the 3ds could support random pokemon running around the map for you to see and try to catch.

Get the fuck real loser.
>>
File: 350460_front.jpg (122KB, 500x632px) Image search: [Google]
350460_front.jpg
122KB, 500x632px
Nope.

Reminder there is nothing inherently wrong with random encounters.
>>
>>32904423
Don't play JRPGs very often, OP?
>>
even fucking dragon quest, the franchise that prides itself on staying the same for two decades, uses visible encounters now

random encounters are shit outside of very specific games like dungeon rpgs
>>
>>32904458
Is it wrong I enjoyed this game more than Sun/moon xy/oras
>>
>>32904484
No.

Its probably the best Digimon game that's out there, making it a high point vs Pokemon's low point. It'd actually be pretty bad if it was worse then XYORAS.
>>
>>32904492
It's the only digimon game I've played but I really enjoyed it I can't remember the monsters names for shit but I liked how the evolutions branched and how you could deevolve and stuff.
>>
>>32904519
Be on the lookout for Cyber Sleuth 2 when it comes out in 2018. Dawn and Dusk are also worth emulating if you get bored and don't mind going a step backward.
>>
>>32904543
Woah! Had no idea there was a sequel I knew about the other game that came here but I don't like the virtual pet thing
>>
>>32904588
>but I don't like the virtual pet thing
You're the reason we didn't get Next Order on Vita
>>
>>32904588
There are basically two types of Digimon games, pet simulators and RPGs. the Dawn and Dusk they mentioned fall under the RPG category, alongside Cyber Sleuth.
>>
it's not really a random encounter when you know you're only going to encounter zubats, digletts, tentacools, ratatas, pelipper and yungoos
>>
>>32904601
I looked up the gameplay and it just looks so tedious with the gym thing and then your digimon having to poop or rest and how they die after a certain amount of time. Maybe I would have been okay with all of that if the combat system didn't look so bleh
>>
>>32904543
So we're finally getting Crimson Mode? I'm glad they added Burst Mode as a free update later, but why was CM missing?
>>
>>32904543
Oh also I just really dig the look of cyber sleigh and even the sequel from what I'm seeing reminds me of smt or persona bit.
>>
>>32904614
That bottom part is for the mobile game, Links, which I think is supposed to be like a traditional Digimon V-Pet but with Cyber Sleuth style combat for battling. I haven't played it though because my phone is total garbo.
>>
>>32904612
You'll never know the bonds of raising your Digimon partner and exploring an unknown land. The loss of failing your partner as it dies. Building File City back up from the scraps. Seeing the quirky and humorous digital world. Watching as all your hard work culminates.

I fucking miss the PlayStation...
>>
>>32904666
But the digimon die at random no?
>>
>tfw when peoples prefer talking about Digimon than Pokémon on /vp/ never played a digimon game but I'm interested. Just don't know if I need to learn something about the monsters or go blind.
>>
>>32904731
Okay so when I first played cyber sleuth I wasn't sure what to expect but all I can say is do not think of it as pokemon because the moment you do the really humanoid digimon feel really outta place
>>
>>32904714
Absolutely not. They can die of old age (Which takes quite a while, but will happen inevitably) but they have 3 Hearts that only deplete when they lose a battle. When you lose all 3 they revert to a DigiEgg.
>>
>>32904731
Blind should be fine.

With games like Cyber Sleuth and World Dawn/Dusk, the gameplay is more comparable to SMT.
>>
>>32904484
No.

It is, however, wrong if you enjoyed DPPt or HGSS more than that game, since all gen 4 games are worse than XYORAS.
>>
>>32904423
Pokemon's one of the few games where the gameplay is actually enhanced by random encounters.

It's archaic when judging on a typical RPG, but since each encounter is both a chance to level up and a chance to actually catch whatever it is, having a random element to what it is, how strong it is, what it can do, etc... makes a lot of sense. It'd be insanely hard to do this otherwise.
>>
>>32904458
Did it have the same artist as the devil survivor games?
>>
>>32905216
yes, iirc.
>>
>>32905046
but couldn't it just randomly spawn monsters on the route somewhere?
>>
>>32904423

I hate random encounters in JRPGs, but I was always less annoyed by them in Pokemon because of how easy it is to run away from them.

I'm in the middle of playing FFVII for the first time (yes, I know) and you can't even run away from encounters like you could in the first two Final Fantasies, you have to fight each and every battle to the death.
>>
>>32905264
You use the shoulder buttons to run away Anon
>>
>>32905264

might as well read a book or kill yourself rather than waste your time playing a shitty game
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.