[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's ready for Game Freak to somehow make the Switch lag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_3949.jpg (231KB, 2048x1154px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3949.jpg
231KB, 2048x1154px
Who's ready for Game Freak to somehow make the Switch lag with their programming incompetence?
>>
Gen 6/7 lags because they future proofed the models. I don't know how this "GF is bad at programming" meme started. Gen 3 and 5 were as smooth as butter.
>>
reminder one of the reason the 3DS games lag so bad is the game, for whatever reason, effectively has one hundred copies of WinRAR independently zipping and unzipping the data of the Pokemon currently in battle at all times
>>
>>32898363
Mmmm
What kind of butter
>>
>>32898363
We have decompiled "source" code for several games. Some of the shit in there is just weird, and there's plenty of amateur level mistakes throughout. Gen IV's speed issues are entirely the result of poor programming practice and last-minute changes. There are plenty of ways around the model problem, Gamefreak just opted to leave the games slow and choppy instead of tackling the issue. It's not a memeat all, Gamefreak just aren't good at programming.
>>
The switch already has framerate issue with Breath of the Wild while plugged on TV
>>
>>32898449
>We have decompiled "source" code for several games. Some of the shit in there is just weird, and there's plenty of amateur level mistakes throughout.
"decompiled source" != source. It's in no way representative of the actual source code, as you'll find plenty of compiler constructs and optimizations throughout, that no sane human would ever write, as well as other generated stuff. That, and game devs in general aren't exactly known for writing the cleanest and most correct code. Unless there's actual mistakes that can be proven from the contents of the actual binary, as opposed to the contents of the reverse engineered "source", we can talk about it.

The rest of your post is correct, however.
>>
if player falls through floor
don't fall through floor
>>
>>32898477
Hence the quotation marks around "source". That said, RS is currently being decompiled using the same compiler Gamefreak used, and the guys doing it are making sure the decompiled code produces an output identical to the binary in the games. From what I understand it should produce something very close to the original source, if not identical.
>>
>>32898530
>RS is currently being decompiled using the same compiler Gamefreak used
A compiler doesn't (usually) decompile. Furthermore, GameFreak used the compiler in nintendo's SDK, which is difficult and illegal to obtain, as well as distribute binaries built with it.

>and the guys doing it are making sure the decompiled code produces an output identical to the binary in the games. From what I understand it should produce something very close to the original source, if not identical.
Again, the decompiled source will never be identical to the original source, because of the simple fact that one of the compiler's jobs is putting all the bits and pieces together, stripping whatever is unnecessary and optimizing/changing things where it can for it to run faster. What you have with pokeruby is source as close to the resulting binary as you can get, but pretty far from the actual source code. This contains weird constructs not written by actual humans (eg. written by the optimizer), and is probably structured in a very different way from the original source. You can't really say anything about "amateur level mistakes" when it might've just been a faulty compiler, an optimization (aka it's actually safe & correct) or a hack (written by the reverse engineers) to make sure the compiled output is identical. And don't forget the compiler used to compile the reversed source does optimizations as well, which have a high probability of being different, and have to be accounted for in the reversed source.
>>
>>32898463
That is Breath of the Wild's fault, not the Switch itself.
>>
>>32898615
That's his point. If BOTW can chunk up the Switch's framerate, a GF game probably will as well.
>>
>>32898414
Winter morning margarine, knowing him.
>>
>>32898363
>gen 5
>smooth

Listen I had the newer model of DS for black and that shit still lagged when big moves were used in battle.
>>
File: 1436754873735.jpg (22KB, 424x463px) Image search: [Google]
1436754873735.jpg
22KB, 424x463px
>>32898358
Anon please I want to hope that they'll get their shit together for once.
>>
>>32899514
Deep down inside, you know that ain't happening.
>>
>>32899514
There's no point to hoping. You'll end up clinging onto it as a last sparkle of hope in a shitty long ass period of time and then find out it's absolute trash that makes you feel empty inside when you play it. Don't do what I did with SM, because you'll just end up wanting to an hero.
>>
>>32898358
Well the switch is wayyyyy more powerful than the 3ds. So it probably won't lag at all. The future proffed models can easily run on the switch.
>>
File: IMG_0117.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>32899687
>I want to an hero after playing a disappointing vidya

Yes, pic related is supposed to piss you off.
>>
>>32899514
Nope, they'll find a way to screw it up.
>>
>>32899707
It's true but this is game freak we're talking about. They'd find a way to make a gaming PC lag if you let them develop a game for it
>>
>>32898449
>There are plenty of ways around the model problem

No there isn't. The 3DS is too weak. There's no way around it unless they just made the models look like shit.

News alert: every game has bugs and possibly bad optimizations. It doesn't make them bad programmers.

>>32899503
Stop lying. Big moves don't lag.
>>
>>32898358
>I don't know how this "GF is bad at programming" meme started.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_II
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_III
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_IV
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_V
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_VI
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_VII
>>
>>32900147
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/PokemonGoldAndSilver
>In development, the game filled up the entire cartridge despite only being half-finished. Satoru Iwata, former president of Nintendo, singlehandedly did some very heavy compression to save the project from being released as an Obvious Beta. When he was done, there was enough space in the cartridge to include all of Kanto. To summarize, thanks to Iwata, this game has twice as big a setting region-wise as every other Pokémon game released until the remakes.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lumiose_City_save_glitch
>Upon reloading the game, the player will find that they cannot continue their progress with the last save file available at the time the glitch was triggered. The player will be unable to move or use the touchscreen, and certain textures will fail to load properly. Despite the apparent freeze, the background music will continue to play normally. Due to the fact that the player cannot proceed past this point, and that the save file will keep being loaded incorrectly, this glitch will force the player to start a new save file.
>>
>>32900147
>>32900208
>game has bugs
>that must mean they're bad programmers

Are you retarded? Every piece of complex software ever made has bugs.

Also that Iwata thing is a complete myth. Literally all he did was make compression tools. That's it. Nowhere did they ever say "the game was only half finished." Try using a better source than tvtropes next time.
>>
here's some examples of game freak incompetence
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/872800978772393985
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/872789631259095040
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/841298847959781377
https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/796027688792231936
>>
>>32900310
bugs != incompetence
>>
Zelda has lag because it was made as wii u game

Pokemon will be switch game and made like it
>>
>>32898358
I guarantee this will happen, they will have some stupid graphics shit on like Depth of Field or Chromatic Aberration and have some absurd AA method.

>>32898363
>future proofed models
they could have easily made lower poly models for the 3DS. Instead these high poly models are just a waste of very limited processing and memory.

Gamefreak almost exclusively makes 3DS games, the fact that they are so bad at optimization for it is unbelievable to me. Especially when there are so many other devs making much better preforming and better looking games on the platform.
>>
>>32900618
>they could have easily made lower poly models for the 3DS.
They could've. But there's no point making shittier looking models just for better performance in a turn based game. It was a design choice for making the Pokemon look like they're supposed to.

>many other devs making much better preforming and better looking games on the platform.
All the other 3DS games I've played either have shittier looking models or ALSO have lag. Ace Attorney has great looking models but it also lags in places as a result.
>>
>>32900069
look up Tembo the Badass Elephant
I never played it myself be I hear it had pretty bad frame rate issues on PC
>>
>>32900262
It's usually more bad planning than bad programmers.
>>
>>32900667
You'll still get bugs regardless of planning or programmers. It's just a fact.
>>
>>32900651
>there's no point making shittier looking models just for better performance
are you kidding? The resolution on the 3DS is so low you could hardly be able to tell. We would be fine with lesser models, before XY all we had where sprites. And it's not for 'better' preformance, its for acceptable preformance. Triple battles slow down so hard it's unexcusable.
>>
>>32900674
Bethesda pls go
>>
>>32900262
it's well known that gamefreak has some of the worst programmers in the video game industry.
>>
>>32900905
>it's well known

No it's not because it's not true.

>>32900728
>The resolution on the 3DS is so low you could hardly be able to tell.

Yes you would. Look at the average 3DS game and the models look fucking awful. It's not like Smash where the camera is always zoomed far away either. Lower poly models would be immediately noticeable.
>>
>>32900970
>No it's not because it's not true.
crying_wojack.png
You know you don't have to defend Gamefreak? you'll still get to play their games even after you criticize their lazy asses.
>Lower poly models would be immediately noticeable.
That is Fine. like I said, until the 3DS all we had were sprites. Don't make excuses for GF's incompetence.
>>
>>32899503
Gen 3 and 5 were the only gens to run 60fps although the latter was only in battles.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of gen 4?
>>
>>32900108
You can actually reduce the absurd number of polygons on the models and they would look pretty much the same to anyone not comparing them side by side because of the low resolution of the 3ds.
>>
Lower poly models for Pokemon don't even have to be that low. On a 400x240 screen, you seriously won't notice. Solgaleo's model is 14k, which is fucking insane. You could easily lower that to an amount like 6k and 95% of people wouldn't be able to tell at full-res, let alone on a 3DS screen.
>>
>>32901122
That reminds me, anyone know what Porygon's count is?
>>
>>32901122
I have to give GF credit, the models look incredible.
But using such high poly model on a 3DS is boneheaded
>>
File: Lod_rocketlauncher_wire.jpg (209KB, 823x408px) Image search: [Google]
Lod_rocketlauncher_wire.jpg
209KB, 823x408px
>>32901122
Also just to show a point
>>
>>32898363
They are good models, but I find it hard to believe that smash bros runs at 60 fps with 4 Olimars, 12 pikmin, a bunch of items, multiple Pokémon and an assist trophy, while 3 grubbins on a plain grassy field practically crashes the 3ds
>>
>>32898463

>comparing a huge open world game to a few barely animated Pokémon

And BotW's frame rate is highly exaggerated. You will occasionally have some barely noticeable frame dips, it doesn't turn into a PowerPoint show like gen 6 multibattles
>>
>>32900262

Psychic was FUCKING IMMUNE to ghost. Don't chalk this shit up to "a-a-all software is flawed!"
>>
>>32901118
>You can actually reduce the absurd number of polygons on the models and they would look pretty much the same

No they wouldn't. It would be noticeable as soon as the camera zooms on them.

>>32901301
Smash uses low poly models.
>>
This looks awesome
>>
>>32898363
>sos shiny rates reset back to normal after 256 encounters instead of capping out
>something 30 year old games could handle and gf can't do it
>>
>>32901340
>a first game of a franchise that only had like 8 people on the technical team had more bugs

Woooooooow who coulda thought
>>
File: 1451596511951.gif (126KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1451596511951.gif
126KB, 384x288px
>all this defense of Game Freak's shoddy programming when time and time again they have been shown to be bad at it
>>
>>32900618
They made the high polygon models so they wouldn't have to make new models for the same pokemon so, they can use them in the switch games
>>
>>32898358
GameFreak are shit programmers, but the game in battles lags mostly since the models have extremely high poly counts. So the Switch can handle it more easily.
>>
>>32898363
gen 5 had frame drops in triple battles and some overworld areas
frlg got a fan patch to make it run better on emulators
drill dozer had frame drops (and was a 30 fps game to begin with)
and of course there's the famous story of how they couldn't even fit johto into gs before iwata came along
their latest platformer runs at double speed on one of my pcs
rby was full of glitches
other gens had weird glitches too
game freak is actually bad
>>
>>32900666
>look up Tembo the Badass Elephant
Holy shit, there's heaps more people complaining about the PC version lagging than I thought there would be.
>>
File: 1483155414771.jpg (13KB, 230x208px) Image search: [Google]
1483155414771.jpg
13KB, 230x208px
Stop trying to defend GF's shitty programming
>>
>>32902910
>famous story of how they couldn't even fit johto into gs before iwata came along

THIS IS A MYTH. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>32898633
He means it's a shit port, and after playing for hours in both modes, I agree. There is no graphical downgrade in handheld mode, in fact, the resolution actually dips in docked to keep 30 fps dynamically. The Wii U version runs even worse with a way better GPU also, and that uses the dynamic rescaler too. It's most likely a weird overhead issue with the rescaler.
>>
>>32902910
All the games that you mentioned are pretty good though.
Fuck, Tembo is fantastic in question of level design.
>>
>>32903212
Of course they are good but that doesn't mean they were programmed well. Also I was talking about Giga Wrecker not Tembo, I never played Tembo
>>
>>32902945
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Asks/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/Iwata-Asks-Pokemon-HeartGold-Version-SoulSilver-Version/3-Just-Being-President-Was-A-Waste-/3-Just-Being-President-Was-A-Waste--225951.html
>>
>>32904101
Yes. He made compression tools. Now tell me where it says "ABLOO BLOO BLOO THEY COULDN'T EVEN FIT JOHTO ON THE CART"
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.