[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do stories add or detract from the pokemon game experience? Explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1434.png (22KB, 378x337px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1434.png
22KB, 378x337px
Do stories add or detract from the pokemon game experience? Explain your viewpoint
>>
>>32871680
Without the stories it's just R/B all over again.
>>
>>32871680
Add. Definitely add.
Just the game is fun but a nice story makes it all the better.
>>
>>32871680
I'd have no drive to complete any Pokemon gave if there wasn't story supporting it. The lack of it in Gen 1 games is the reason I've never completed one.
>>
>>32871680
gamefreak keeps flip flopping all over the place, they make a game with no story but a ton of content, they make a game with all story but no content (sun and moon). they NEED to make a game with both, the way it is now many fans are sick of their flip flopping shit
>>
I barely notice it. I mean, gold and silver are universally praised and they have no story
>>
Story is fine but the stories they have recently implemented are not implemented well in one way or another
>>
>>32871768
This. Last good story was B/W1.
>>
>>32871768
Pretty much this. Execution is as important for the story as anything. Good execution adds, but bad one detracts.
>>
File: Sea Mauville.jpg (32KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Sea Mauville.jpg
32KB, 500x281px
NARRATIVE detracts from the Pokémon game experience. Railroading, forcefully being spoonfed bad dialogue, and long cutscenes, all that jazz.

Exploration and moving around the map was always the secondary element in Pokémon (second only to the Pokémon themselves of course, and the activities that involve them). Think of locations like Seafoam Islands, the Pokémon Mansion, and basically half of Johto. The early games established the importance of dungeons and good level design.

The correct way for Pokémon to tell its stories is through optional, sometimes hidden lore content. Things like the previously mentioned Pokémon Mansion, the Ruins if Alph, and the books and journals found throughout Sea Mauville. It adds worldbuilding and good story elements without compromising the more important level design.

Narratives are kind of black and white in the result they have on players - either you don't like it, and it turns you away from the game, or you like it and consider it an enriching experience. Optional lore accommodates both people as those who aren't interested can ignore it, while those who are can have fun searching for it and putting two and two together.
>>
>>32872031
The difference in how the box legends are handled between GS and HGSS are a good example, too.

I think they can have all that big drama they have in the newer games, but they should try breaking it up and making it optional. Do them as sidequests. If someone just wants the experience of going Gym to Gym, they can do that. If they want to find out more about what those Gym Leaders do on their own, they can explore the city more and get extra events. Stuff like that.
>>
>>32871680
no, but the stories need a better pacing
Not so bad like XY that is almost plotless
Not so much cutscenes like SM
>>
>>32872187
I feel like DPPt hit the sweet spot
>>
>>32871680
Detracts from or at least everything since rse. Pokemon was initially a coming of a age story. Adding the whole saving the world bullshit and plot legendaries detracts from that.
>>
File: lillie_by_hiromu_kun-da5exzo.png (1MB, 1280x1482px) Image search: [Google]
lillie_by_hiromu_kun-da5exzo.png
1MB, 1280x1482px
>>32871680
Stories definitely add to the experience, and SM had the best story yet.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.