[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Game Freak now obsessed with shoving plot in your face

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 1480257737166.jpg (777KB, 595x1509px) Image search: [Google]
1480257737166.jpg
777KB, 595x1509px
Why is Game Freak now obsessed with shoving plot in your face and forcing "friends" on to you? Is it to make it seem as if the games have more to them than they actually do?

>inb4 hurr you must not play RPGs anon
The good ones don't rely on shoving plot in your face to be good games.
>>
Persona is litteraly iinteractive movie with plot shoved in your face

And people praise it so much
>>
>>32863350
pretty much everything in this comic is true for every pokemon game
>>
>>32863350
People shat all day on Pokémon for having no story, even /vp/.
>>
>>32863790
this
explore what you can, and then just follow the plot fucking fags
we can't do more open without level scaling
>>
>>32863790
Absolutely not. Only BW2 is even close to as bad as SM and even then it's only until about the third gym.
>>
Because weebs complained loud enough about Pokemon not having heavy epic story like their Final Fantasies and Disgaeas until Gen V when they realized that wasn't what they wanted when they got it but it's too late GF fell for the modern cinematic meme
>>
I'm completely fine with lots of cutscenes. They just need to up the actual quality of the plotline.
>>
>>32863350
This happens in every fucking game.
>>
File: 1496858462055.jpg (15KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1496858462055.jpg
15KB, 306x306px
>>32863864
>weebs
get out
>>
>>32863903
not well designed ones.
>>
>>32863909
Well none of the Pokemon games are well designed. When I said "every game" I was referring to "every Pokémon game"
>>
>>32863909
we're dancing for no reason
>>
>>32863350
>now

Boy I hope you don't think gen 4 or 5 were good games, then.
>>
>>32863904
I'm talking the legit, "everything Japan does is amazing, curse my heritage, I wish I was Japanese" weebs from yesteryear that plagued forums and shitholes like deviantart and fanfiction.net. Not the old meme "anyone who likes anything Japanese" weebs, or the modern ironic weeb.
>>
>>32863356
The quality of writing and the gameplay more than makes up for it.
Of course, opinion varies, so I ain't claiming that it's THE BEST or anything.
>>
>>32863843
>We can't do more open than absolute linearity
Bitch the first three generations or so were much more open than this garbage.
>>
File: 1497398333272.png (173KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
1497398333272.png
173KB, 406x406px
>>32863350
>play White for the first time
>not that invested into the story but you can tolerate the cockblocking
>play FireRed afterwards
>oh my god you are free to explore
>you can choose when to face the gyms and you are not forced to go to the local landmark beforehand
>you don't need to go to Silph co. right after unlocking Saffron
>you can actually take your time and explore and have fun
>play Black some time later
>realize just how fucking annoying Cheren and Bianca are
Story oriented Pokémon was a mistake
>>
>>32864191
I hate them too, but I still want to have a threesome with them.
>>
File: 1489076568506.png (409KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
1489076568506.png
409KB, 728x546px
>>32864191
>an entire fucking gym just to explain the most basic type triangle that even a toddler will get
>you can't even explore the forest even though they only use part of it for the evil team pursuit
>all that time spent developing gym leaders who only show up again at the very end of the game
>making the story go after you instead of the other way around
It completely kills the replay value, you just know the moment you step inside that route or city there will be another cutscene
>>
>>32863919
>Well none of the Pokemon games are well designed.

gen 1 & 2 were.
>>
File: 1498400932044.png (176KB, 300x327px) Image search: [Google]
1498400932044.png
176KB, 300x327px
>>32864328
ahahaha that's a good one anon
>>
>>32864202
I want an orgy with Bianca & Cheren and BW2 Bianca & Cheren. If you don't also want that, you are simply incorrect.
>>
>>32863849
I didnt mean those exact fucking scenarios happened, retard. I meant that ever single Pokemon game has arbitrary roadblocks that prevent you from going to an area you're not supposed to.

>RBY
everything blocked by HMs
>GSC
sudowoodo
>RSE
person examining footprints
>DPPt
Psyducks
>BW
Dancers
>XY
Power outage

>>32864147
learn to read retard

>>32863864
>>32863904
>>32863941
>complaining about weebs on an anime/manga imageboard
lmao
>>
>>32864147
The only "open" thing in gen 1 was Saffron City. Every other town had to be visited in a specific order to progress the story. (and being able to leave without doing the gym doesn't mean shit, since you were still forced to do something else in those towns) Gen 2 also had one fork in the road where going right would take you to a town where you couldn't do anything until you backtracked and went left (disregarding Kanto).
>>
>>32864367
>I didnt mean those exact fucking scenarios happened
You said pretty much everything in the comic and the comic includes cutscenes.

>I meant that ever single Pokemon game has arbitrary roadblocks
Not as many as SM. And HMs aren't arbitrary. Environmental obstacles actually make sense.
>>
>>32863816
And SM wasnt that much of a step up
>>
>tfw the only pokemon game in existence isn't a port of showdown to the 3ds with all non-waifumons removed
>>
>>32863350
The gameplay is the same every game, story and the region are only things that change.
>>
>>32864503
It was compared to its direct predecessor. And pretty much every game aside of BW really.
The thing with Sun and Moon is that you are merely a supporting character in the plot in Lilly's story.
You aren't the protagonist this time, just the handy plot device that allows Lilly to develop and grow as a person.
In this case the player is the cool hero/mentor, love interest even, that inspires the MC (Lilly) to step up and start her own adventure.
Personally I like that take. After all the Pokemon protagonist is what you would call a mary sue that's born an unparalleled great trainer and beats everyone because he's so good. It even becomes somewhat meta since the game difficulty is so easy that you can easily sweep through the game reinforcing said development.
>>
>>32864367
the footprint dude in gen 3 was there for tutorial reasons like that kid in Pewter who blocked your path until you finished the first gym, a better example would be the Wailmer right outside Lillycove keeping you from exploring the oceanic routes

To be honest gen 1 wasn't that bad with the blocks, after Lavender you could explore a huge chunk of the region freely, IIRC the Saffron guard sidequest didn't required going through the rocket game corner either so its still pretty non linear

Sinnoh was just retarded
>>
>>32863350
It started in BW as a clever addition to the rival formula: Cheren and Bianca are both friends with different but understandable goals. Then N acts as the real rival, but you face off against all 3 throughout the story, and they each have their own conclusions to their stories. Interestingly enough, BW2 was the last game to really preserve the rival dynamic of Pokémon, with naming the rival and all that, and was more traditional with the whole approach.
XY was where things went to shit. Instead of a rival battling you for superiority throughout the story, there's Serena, Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor. The latter 3's motivations are very weak, and none of them really need to become stronger to accomplish their goals. I would like to see Tierno return as a seasoned warrior in USUM, using Oricorio, though. Serena sucked too, I don't even remember her motivation, but at least she tried to put up a fight.
ORAS wasn't much better. Hoenn's rivals are weak too, especially Wally, but at least he managed to become really strong in the end, though before he gets Mega Gallade the fights with him aren't all that interesting.
Then Sun and Moon gave us Hau and Gladion. If it had only given us those two things would probably be a lot better. Lillie is just way too much, with her constant cut scenes and family feud. She overshadows the main character.
>>
>/vp/ plays super mario bros
>beats a level, has to wait through mario lowering the flag, running into the castle, and raising a flag in there
>*autistic screeching*
>>
>>32865518
That's disingenuous. Try adding four arbitrary cutscenes to the level, then come back.

I'm a roleplayer, and I often find myself imagining the main character as only really interested in training, getting stronger, and fighting Gyms. Really not interested in all this other crap.
>>
>>32865518
A better comparison would be something along the lines of:
>Beat a level
>Mario lowers the flag, then slowly walk to the castle while monologuing
>Continue to monologue, even as he enters the castle
>Raise the flag, monologue stop for a while to gove way to the fireworks
>Screen goes black, some more monologue appears
>World 1-2
>Another monologue before you can even start moving
>>
>>32865653
>to gove
I meant "to give".
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.