[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been replayed older titles and some romhacks and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: thinkyface.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
thinkyface.png
4KB, 225x225px
So I've been replayed older titles and some romhacks and i've been thinking /vp/. Is the fact that the games are going in a very very very anime direction good or bad?

In g1-5, you're a kid or teen on an adventure. You're a small factor in a large world, but you make impact through hard work. G6 and 7 feel like a generic anime, where the whole power of friendship bullshit is a massively relevant aspect to the plot. Dispite this massive relevance of 'friend' side characters, Hau, Lillie, Shauna, the fat kid, and the nerd, they're all useless, they don't contribute to the plot in a meaningful way, and only exist for 'hey remember, this journey is about friendhsip', while proving to be useless to the overall plots of their respective games.

And I guess that brings us to 'why is pokemon good'. I'd say, at its best, it's a blatently fantasy world in which you play as a child going on a grand adventure, typically isolated.

And there lies the problem for me with the newer titles. The new games are about an 'earth-2' so to speak, not 'the world of pokemon'. You play in as an anime protagonist in a version of earth that has pokemon, not as a child in a world of fantasy. You have anime friends and go on an anime adventure. You have anime friends, you have anime hyjinx, you have an anime plot. everything's goddamn anime.

And so I guess I have to ask, was this dramatic shift in tone the right call?

I'd give a firm no. The magic isnt there. I bought both Y and Moon on launch, and by half way, I was bored enough I outright quit. They're just not compelling games, let alone compelling pokemon games. But I can go back to Soul Silver, White, or Platinum and still have a blast, getting lost and sinking 6 hour sittings into the games. And I can still find the fun in rom hacks like Glazed. So I don't really think I've 'outgrown' pokemon, the fun is still there and the good titles are amazing.
>>
>>32862938
Cont.

Mechanics have also gone directly down the shitter since g5, dificulty, gameplay engagement, etc, but that's a different beast. EXP share changes are cancer, removing a fantastic item and replacing it with a piece that destroys game balance. EXP all from BW2 is balanced and I genuinely loved the addition, but full exp to your entire party is absurd.

TL;DR: games arent as engaging as they used to be prior to g6 due to shift in tone. Enphasis on the story and characters instead of exploring the world has caused the strengths of the series to disipate, replaced by generic anime bullshit which may or may not cater to you. The new type of 'friend character' that popped up in XY creates problems, as they arent engaging characters, have no personal motivations, and exist to create artificial 'friendship' plots, in a game that's core strengths is solitary exploration.
>>
We're living in the SJW generation OP
No one can say or do anything without offending someone.
The earlier gens got away with it cause people were more lax back then
>>
I think BW shit sales just broke meme freaks spirit and they just decided to go full generic animu for easy money
>>
>>32862951
Shut the fuck up about "le SJW boogeyman"
Everything "offensive" in Pokemon is still in Pokemon besides Jynx's original colors and the whips from gen 1
Gamefreak is just lazy and don't need to go above and beyond what they're doing because people will always buy no matter what
>>
>>32862951
wut. I didnt say anything about offensive content. Pokemon games are best as a sem-childish exploration of a vast world, collecting pokemon and going on adventures, exploring the world. I'd say the edgier and more political it gets, the worse it'd get.

Pretty much fundimentally, the games are at their best when you have a series of recurring characters, while maintaining a semi-isolated gameplay experience, wandering between towns on your own, seeing the sights, etc. my whole point is that I don't like the fact that the new characters and plotlines are generic and take away from the strengths of the series. Said strengths being strong world building, and enphasis on character building through strong actions.

What I don't like are the useless friend npcs, the watered down 'earth 2' setting that's growing to stomp out 'the world of pokemon'.

SJW anything has nothing to do with anything I said.
>>
>>32862991
did they sell poorly? BW is one of my favorites. g5 has the best mechanics and gameplay balance in the series I think. Its only real pitfall is that they're super fucking linier with very few optional zones. The atmosphere and gameplay carried it super hard, easily takes my third best in my list.
>>
>>32862991
BW is the one that started the extreme linear trend and hand-holding friends/rivals of recent gens though.
>>
>>32863103
I can see how you'd think that but your friends don't appear nearly as often as you seem to remember and there were always areas to explore on the side.
>>
>>32863103
Liniarity, yes. handholding friend riaval, no. Neither N nor the rivial have any large impact in carrying the plotline, nor do they appear often. BW was a step towards a more story focused game, that maintained its idenity as a pokemon game in that it was about you being a kid exploring a vast world. Even though gameplay was linier, it still felt like an adventure, and it was a step up on story content over g4 and prior. It was also balanced in such a way that you could easily fall behind on levels, making encounters engaging, as you don't roflstomp them all like you do in g6 onward. I distinctly remember being down some 20 levels on the Cynthia fight as an extreme, and I was I think 7 levels down on Ghetsis, 5 down on N.

So yes, while it did add to linierity, and it contributed to the path the games are taking now, BW is inherantly a very fun and engaging pokemon game, more so through having the best mechanics and gameplay in the series, than having a dramatically good setting and map.

G6 took the idea of story focus, stripped the good gameplay away, and bam, XY are legitimately garbage games. SM didn't learn from XY's mistakes either, only made it worse.
>>
>>32862938
I mean, it'd be nice to have a more fleshed out cinematic experience with characters and all that bullshit if there was actual content to go along with it. The fact that the games are barebones with short campaigns and plots lacking proper structure kind of defeat the whole purpose of whatever they try to do with the feel of the games
>>
>>32863169
>BW's circle-shaped map is good
>XY's circle-shaped map is bad
>SM's multiple circles-shaped map is bad
????
>>
>>32863193
I literally said that BW was linier in my post. Read it again, fucktard.

I dont call it good or bad. It just is. The reason its not good or bad is because the game is tuned near perfectly, so the gameplay at all phases of the game is so that you can never truely roflstomp your way through the game. Liniarity is only a problem if the linier content is shit. BW's linier content is not shit.

g5 is the only generation that I enjoy specifically for its encounter design, pokemon choice, and battle mechanics. It's pokemon veriety is god tier, there's viable options in basically every 'class' of pokemon in both special and physical (bruiser, sweeper, wall, status bitch, etc). Every time I play through BW I have a different party, and every time, I get to have a dramatically different gameplay experience.

In other generations and games, there is a problem in that the balance is absolutely fucked. Many pokemon are outright garbage. Pokemon stats weren't even normalized until g4, so only a handfull remotely have a cohesive design behind them. GF hasn't gone back to fix the vast vast majority of the absolutely attrocious movesets and stat spreads that exist in g1-g3 pokemon.
>>
>>32863236
>Liniarity is only a problem if the linier content is shit. BW's linier content is not shit.
that is only your opinion though. Discovering content while freely roaming the map (think of all the hidden shit in hoenn for example. An entire CITY is pretty much optional) and getting from one piece to the other while going though rollercoaster rails are very different experiences, and I personally prefer the first. Also the quality of the content is subjective to a certain degree. While it's true that all BW mons are balanced and usable from a gameplay perspective, most of them are butt-ugly (once again, an opinion, just as valid as a mor postive one).
>>
>implying Gen 5 isn't on the 6/7 side
>implying Gen 3 and 4 weren't the bridge
>implying Gen 1 and Gen 2 aren't the only good gens for tone and atmosphere
>>
Pretty good post OP. I completely agree with you.

Shame that Gamefreak drones will try to shut you down and go full damage control lalala gamefreak can't do no wrong fuck me harder masuda-sama lalala.
>>
>>32863343
This
>>
>>32863000
>Shut the fuck up about "le SJW boogeyman"
triggered
>>
>>32863343
Something I did notice on HG/SS is how, for example, the Lugia and Ho-oh side-quests became super grandiose things unlike they were in Gen GSC. This is the kind of stuff OP mentions. Nothing just happens anymore, everything has to be a how and why and like this or like that now. You cannot go enter a random cave and HOLY SHIT A LEGEND, nope, you have to go through a chain of side-quests to enter the cave with every part of the side-quest telling you about how fucking cool the legendary is and about how cool you are for being on the side-quest to catch the legendary.
>>
>>32863364
I agree with OP's point but I don't agree with his opinion on gen 5, which was arguably (aside from BW2) the starting point of many negative aspects of the new games.
>>
>>32863405
I agree with you as well but unlike Gen 6 and 7 now I believe that Gen 5 did that part right. Compare Cheren, Bianca or N with the idiots on XY. All three of them had very well defined storylines that went through development and had proper conclusions, and none of them weren't sucking your cock 24/7.
>>
>>32862951
>le SJW ruining my vidya gayms
honestly, out of all the memes that need to end, this is the one I enjoy the most
>>
>>32862942
>i like grinding
The new exp share was made so you don't have to worry about grinding. Grinding isn't hard but it's annoying and wastes time. SM were more difficult than any Pokémon game i played and they were fun
>>
>>32863385
>anyone who calls me out on being a retard must be triggered

>>>/the_donald/
>>
>>32863498
I personally would prefer to have an exp share early in the game and then the ''exp all'' on the 3/4th of the game.
>>
and maybe make the exp all something you have to unlock yourself? so you'd get rewarded with an OP exp all for your efforts. Personally would make the item more satisfying
>>
File: 890132089321078132089.png (313KB, 401x547px) Image search: [Google]
890132089321078132089.png
313KB, 401x547px
>>32863569
go back to tumblr
>>
>>32862938
since gen 3 you are the chosen one OP
>>
>>32863717
>maga pepe
XD
You get an upvote from me!
>>
>>32863569
>complains about someone using sjw boogeyman
>proceeds to use le the evil T_D boogeyman
>>
>>32865581
>>32863000 and >>32863569 are two different anons
>>
>>32863236
>>32863329
>2 posts
>not one spells "linear" right
>>
>>32863395
To be honest, I like it that way more. A Legendary Pokémon is only "legendary" to me if it actually has a reason to exist. I hate Legendaries who are just there, randomly, and doesn't do shit. That's why I hate the Bird Trio and the Swords of Justice, because they're all just there and never do shit. At least the Regi Trio had some lore and mystery behind them, and you had to explore and solve puzzles to find them. THAT'S the kind of Legendaries I like. Those you have to explore and solve puzzles to meet. That can include Box Legendaries too, they're only good if they aren't just handed to you, like in XY or SM.
>>
>>32863421
This
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.