[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokémon Fanfiction General and Writethread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 48

File: 1481160948978.png (177KB, 856x637px) Image search: [Google]
1481160948978.png
177KB, 856x637px
/vpwt/: Tasty fruit edition

>Post your finds and ideas for prompts.
>Share your work and request critique.
>Discuss the struggle as a reader or writer.
IRC channel at [ #vpwritethread on irc.rizon.net ].

Previous: >>32794256

Fic catalogue:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing

Authors and anons looking for things to write may search our ideabin for something appealing.
Feel free to add prompts that you'd like others to consider.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X072SSWulcC6RJRrPA6v9XtyohRybvMBl6Fh49wHsRw

FAQ:
>How do I post fics?
Link to Pastebin, FFN, AO3, or G-Docs, etc. Don't write stories to the thread itself.

>NSFW fics?
Indicate "NSFW" beside the link.

>May I add my fic to the catalogue?
You're free to do so. Please use the submission form found inside the catalog.

>What's with the tripfags?
Authors are encouraged to use a name/trip while posting or discussing their work for clarity's sake.

TotT: What makes a strong climax in a story, whether as a writer or a reader?
>>
>Ttot:
pacing, stopping and starting later once you've cooled down. Don't do it every day or else it aint special anymore
>>
>>32853321
Hoo boy, been a while, but I think I can do a recap. This time.

Fic recap:

CamPane writes a story about a trainer out and about enoying his Pokemon's presence for the whole day. SFW
https://pastebin.com/28cSPKep

SexTheHex makes a fic about Shauna encountering a bunch of Joltiks in the safari, ticking them off in the process. NSFW
https://pastebin.com/Mk8A9AnL
Updated Fics:

Solar's Gift of the Protector: Radiant Heart chapter 23 (end)
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10121590/23/Gift-of-the-Protector-Radiant-Heart

I'm lazy today, so I probably missed a lot. Be sure to link any missing fics here.
>>
>>32853449
oh absol u so silly
you don't have a pokeball you have a goofball
>>
>>32853399
Here's one: https://pastebin.com/JeEC1HTF

Alola anon wrote. Did he put up the second part yet, or did he vanish into the aether like some many other writefags?
>>
File: 1483987021113.png (50KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
1483987021113.png
50KB, 400x280px
Summer heat and tangled sheets. Written because of a random impulse to produce smut. [NSFW, M-Trainer/F-Weavile]: http://archiveofourown.org/works/11290725

No it's not Karan, sorry blood fetishists.
>>
>>32853399
>a fic recap
>these threads got new content
I was starting to think this place had become a blog for writers who don't write.
>>
>>32855283
There's usually always a recap each thread to show things being made from last thread.
>>32800335
>>
>>32853399
muh second draft

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18NW7M-4Iq6SqJqX_RmiUB8xcIysEpLRaBqOnuUZ_PEM/edit?usp=sharing
>>
File: 61017378_p1_master1200.jpg (730KB, 1200x1144px) Image search: [Google]
61017378_p1_master1200.jpg
730KB, 1200x1144px
>>
>>32855283
>I was starting to think this place had become a blog for writers who don't write.

Dear Diary:
I wrote tonight, completing Chapter 7, after realizing that a strange plot device—despite its opportunity to be amusing in a bizarre way—was also really stupid so I dropped it for something else that's also probably stupid but doesn't turn the location into a Pokemon-anime-grade adventure town.</blog>

The chapter also came out longer than average, bringing the story up to 47k. I hope people like long.
>>
>>32853344
Nice dubdubs. Anyways. This is such an issue for me. I try to do a little work each day, because I'm the kind that if I stop doing something for a while, I can't pick it back up without starting over. Like, I can't tell you how often I do it on games. Haven't played Skyrim all week? Got to start over. Last time I played Disgaea was ten days ago? New game. And writing too. I haven't written on this story in a few days? Shit, I have to rewrite his whole chapter. I'm finicky like that. It's a bad habbit that I need to work on.

>>32853399

Also nice dubdubs. This is my newness talking here, but I get tickled every time I see my link posted by someone other than myself lol

>>32856773
Seven chapters, 47k, so roughly 6.7k each? Nice. What's wrong with anike tier adventure towns? Also, what exactly does that even mean?
>>
>>32857875
Adventure towns are settings that appear for one episode, offer the characters something to do, and then the location and what happened there is (almost) completely forgotten. Old westerns, and related shows (like Star Trek, with planets instead of towns), used the technique for many of their episodes. It's fine for serial programs, but not a viable strategy for a continuity shared across multiple stories as is the one I've built. In this case, there was just too damn much happening to happen right at the time my protagonists pass by for it not to smell contrived well beyond my usual allowance.

The Pokemon animation added a number of adventure towns between game-canon locations to pad the characters' journey around the region maps.
>>
>>32854885
>blood fetishists
Charles would work better for that
>>
File: 1489546868791.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489546868791.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
>>32858045
Why not make the town a hub the characters return to? That's what I imagine when I read "adventure town" and hope to accomplish in my own fiction. What you describe is filler, which can take the form of towns. These instances do not benefit fanfiction unless your goal is to push the story forward at any cost to natural development. In other words, if you build the town, goddammit, stay a while.
>>
>>32858268
>Phone incorrecting my words
>Awhile
>>
>>32858268
>Why not make the town a hub the characters return to? That's what I imagine when I read "adventure town" and hope to accomplish in my own fiction.
Then it's a hub, not an adventure town.

There is something of a hub effect in my stories, as most of the content (so far) happens in one quarter of the region, only recently reaching to its west coast and previously, eastward only to a few particular locations.

>unless your goal is to push the story forward at any cost to natural development
My goal wasn't. I don't know if the replacement will go very far, but I much prefer the interrogation scene over the sale on wheelbarrows. Plus, the chapter title fits a little better.
>>
>>32858045
Oh. Derp. I knew that. I try not to use too many towns like that. And when I do, I usually keep them vague, most of the time not even giving them a name.
>>
File: 1485744852803.jpg (149KB, 720x798px) Image search: [Google]
1485744852803.jpg
149KB, 720x798px
Bump
>>
File: 1258487356767.jpg (105KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1258487356767.jpg
105KB, 500x500px
This was technically put up as the last thread was dying, so I didn't bother linking it yet.

Here's [The Dark Type] Chapter 16 "First of Many": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9113758/chapters/25250748
>>
>>32858615
>not even giving them a name.
That helps with the necessary abandonment of the event, but also highlights the problem: Writing that uses adventure towns often have expendable adventure supporting cast members to bury in their graveyards. Red Shirts, to recall Star Trek again, and the nameless Guy, as lampshaded in Galaxy Quest.

>>32859493
>segment-display fonts that are proportional instead of fixed-width.
GARFIELD!

>>32859623
>pic
It looks like Falkner lost a contact and Pidgeot got into some Looney Tunes alum causing his mouth to shrink.
>First Gym Problems
>>
>>32854885
Oh that's right I forgot you wrote smut a few times when you first appeared too. Nice read
>>
File: 1496684480467.jpg (864KB, 850x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1496684480467.jpg
864KB, 850x1188px
Let's talk nicknames. Do you like to use them, or see them, instead of reference to the species? Why or why not? How do you come up with a personal name for a Pokémon? And is that process different from giving a human being a nickname?
Most importantly, does every Magikarp have a recognizable sense of self, an identity deserving a name that is unique?
>>
>>32862237
Are those nicknames in like, a broad sense within the pokemon media, or just in writing? 'Cuz I don't really use names in my fics, and names themselves are rare and typically reserved for the main characters (because duh) and useless fluff titles I give to side characters. In the games, I either pick from my pool of names that I've been growing since I was a wee lad or just completely wing it. Sometimes there's a theme, like fruit-based names, and sometimes I name a male Misdreavus Leggo Torez because I'm not going to spend the next hour on a name screen.
>>
File: Bird.png (8KB, 329x343px) Image search: [Google]
Bird.png
8KB, 329x343px
>>32862237
>does every Magikarp have a recognizable sense of self, an identity deserving a name that is unique?

Every magikarp has the potential to unique and name worthy.

I name maybe one in five mons in-game, some I just prefer to keep the standard name for e.g. Kabutops. Any other name would either be too edgy or not fitting.

When it comes to writing...eh? I don't see much of a relation between in-game nicknames and actual names in a story, probably because it's easier to relate to story mons and thus their names have more impact.

Though my Murkrow is called "bird". Mainly because I couldn't think of anything at the time and it just stuck.
>>
I asked in reference to writing, however I see the potential overlap this may have within the games. Sometimes coming up with a name you won't get sick of in fiction is like being stuck at a naming screen. A spur of the moment "oh, that sounds cool" may be something later regretted in a fiction and Name Raters shouldn't be confusing the reader.
>>
>>32862380
Just have a pool of names you like, duh. Or pick a name that's so mundane and normal that you'll hardly notice it if the character's boring, but it'll become special if the character ends up being well-written.
>>
>>32862405
>if the character ends up being well-written
like betting on green 00
>>
>>32862336
>Every magikarp has the potential to unique and name worthy.
Agreed.
How is that determined? Does the Magikarp take a name that suits its personal uniqueness or must there always be a trainer to decide this?
>>
File: close one.jpg (22KB, 334x267px) Image search: [Google]
close one.jpg
22KB, 334x267px
>>32862471
>Does the Magikarp take a name that suits its personal uniqueness or must there always be a trainer to decide this?

Both. Either. Maybe the Magikarp breaks out of an inordinate number of balls or tackles a powerful mon of your to k/o by sheer luck/time. Maybe the trainer just takes a liking to that specific one for whatever reason.
>>
>>32862471
trainers can't into magicarpian so they never get to know the truth of
>>
>>32859824
>segment-display fonts that are proportional instead of fixed-width.
Where? The 1 is where the left side of the 2 is.
>>
File: qq.png (115KB, 487x490px) Image search: [Google]
qq.png
115KB, 487x490px
>>32853321

>TotT: What makes a strong climax in a story, whether as a writer or a reader?

Being able to see all of the setup and smaller conflicts of the earlier tale boil over into one make-or-break moment that can change the entire direction of story.

An important thing to consider, especially for episodic stories is that you need internal climaxes for arcs on the way to the climax of the overall story. Something that I've had to undergo some trial and error with to refine.

Speaking of, it's not quite a climax, but I do have a new installment to publish:

FFN
>https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11084689/54/Fledglings

AO3
>http://archiveofourown.org/works/3465593/chapters/25251840

It took a bit longer than normal to get this chapter out the door, but hope you all like it.
>>
File: 11.jpg (14KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
14KB, 125x125px
>>32862616
Yes.
That is why we can't have nice things.
>>
File: 1491256756199.jpg (47KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1491256756199.jpg
47KB, 500x378px
>>32862694
and what the hell is strange with that? That's how literally every single one of those displays looks.
>>
>>32862712
Wouldn't the 1 be on the right side rather than the left?
>>
>>32862237
My mc calls his Pokemon by shortened version of their species name, but in general, I don't do nicknames.

If npc trainer Pokemon showed up with nicknames, I might start. But it's wierd feeling like I'm the only trainer ever that nicknames my Pokemon.

>not mentioning all in game trade Pokemon are nicknames
>>
>>32863714
Game NPC's have named some of their pokemon, although it's not reflected in the combat GUI, which make sense from a design standpoint. That NPC-trade pokemon have names and that name changing warrants stand alone buildings and a carnival æsthetic indicates that naming is commonplace.
>>
>>32862471
How did your mother pick your name?
>>
>>32864017
Got me thinking. If a Pokémon is bred, does the female at the Daycare Center become upset when a trainer names her newborn a derogatory term before shipping it off into cyberspace via Wonder Trade?
>>
>>32864087
Does the pokemon understand the implication behind the name? Some dumber pokemon probably wouldn't mind, but the smarter ones may get a little pissed. Not that most pokemon have a strong maternal instinct anyway.
>>
>>32864087
>does the female at the Daycare Center become upset when a trainer names her newborn
She laid an egg, held it for a while, some old man stole it, and here comes the ditto again.

The odds are against being present for the hatching and naming for dams at the puppy mill.
>>
>>32864132
Let's say for argument sake it is an Abra named Retard or some unfiltered derivative. The mother might not be the only one distressed. Even if Retard grows up to be a very smart Alakazam, he cannot change that name. Sure, some species may embrace such a thing as their modus operandi but others would feel the sting of its intent their whole lives.
>>
>>32864155
Can you imagine being the trainer who keeps good old Retard and hates calling him by name?
>>
>>32864232
Pronounce it with a European accent and slur the "t" until it comes off as "Renard."

Also, it's a Psychic-type. You don't have to call it by name, just think with intention to make mental contact.
>>
>>32865060
OP Psychic alert!
>>
>>32865060
>Implying I wouldn't constantly scream RETARD in my mind 24/7

In today's news, awkwardly named Alakazam loses it's shit and turns on its own trainer.
>>
>>32853321
>TOTT
My idea of a good climax is similar to what Unown said above. Ideally, it should be the result of a buildup so it doesn't feel random and unexpected. Also, it should bring the conflict to a satisfying conclusion (unless you deliberately want the story to feel unsatisfying, which is a bit of a gamble).

>>32859824
>adventure towns often have expendable adventure supporting cast members to bury in their graveyards
If you don't mind my asking: would you say this is the biggest problem with Adventure Towns, or is the biggest problem instead that it's unbelievable and contrived for there to be some sort of adventure in every town the characters come across?
Also, do you find the trope to be bad in general and best avoided, or can it work if the author tries to avoid these problems (for example, by digging the previous supporting cast members out of their graves occasionally, or by making it clear that not every town the characters visit has a problem/adventure associated with it)?
Personally, I feel like it's an acceptable trope to use if it's handled in a way that makes the towns more than contrived filler disconnected from the rest of the world, but now I'm wondering what others think about the subject.

>>32862237
In-game, I always nickname the Pokemon I use on my story teams and competitive teams. However, I don't nickname every Pokemon in my stories, because sometimes I simply can't think of a name that sounds good. But when I do decide to nickname a Pokemon, I almost always avoid giving them human names, and I only ever nickname important or recurring Pokemon.
Now, when it comes to other people's stories, I don't have much of a preference either way. And as for whether Magikarp deserve nicknames: I don't see why not.
>>
File: 1491711673391.png (830KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491711673391.png
830KB, 1000x1000px
>>32860939
Glad you enjoyed it. Feels like just yesterday I was starting up Scholar's Folly.

>>32862237
Pokemon owned by Trainers in my work are almost universally named. The name I choose is typically reflective of the region or of the person who named them (a Pikachu named Sparky, for instance) though there are some instances of Pokemon choosing their names themselves (see: Melia.) Names are also sometimes used because I have a theme in mind, or am making a reference. Much like how I pick names for humans.
>>
>>32865060
>just think with intention to make mental contact
So here's a question: what's everyone's opinion on telepathy and mental commands? Should it be in the story? Should it not? Should it be common among Psychic-types or should it be a learned trait?
>>
>>32866646
Mental commands aren't something I've explored yet but they're basically not possible without very specific conditions is how I've been thinking of it. That isn't to say people don't think that psychics are mind readers, because alot of people do indeed think they are, and many psychic types tend to forget to remind them otherwise, partly because precognition can be a makeshift stand in for mind-reading/mental commands.

Telepathic communication from psychic-type to other living entity is used pretty readily. It requires dedication to us in progressively complex fashions (talking to one person, two people, so and so forth, eventually moving into projection of "thoughts" out into the world like d'Artagnan does) and this dedication has a tendency to eat up "skill points" as cge called them once, which means they'll be less effective at combat and other forms of psychic manipulation.
>>
>>32857875
read it again carefully
>>
>>32865612
The trope is popular and effective when the show is about the band of characters and their adventures. Adventure towns, Redshirts, and retention of only a few memorable details after the episode is over as symbols of the episode's motif for when the episode's purpose was to show development in a main cast member (e.g., Picard's flute), are how that kind of a show works. It's also how the animation works, which is why they can add Adventure Towns at-will; they are resources burned to fuel the conflict engine for a half of an hour, not genuine world-building efforts.

It reads as contrived when the work and world is a monolithic presentation instead of a collection of episodes. In essence, Ocimene and its locations are the characters and my stories are episodes in its series. Because I keep a lot of continuity it doesn't even use elements as consumable/disposable resources such as characters or events (as they appear in, or at least tangentially influence other stories), I have ruled out the cheap/efficiently-effective tropes that make "22/44 minutes between commercials" programs work in their medium.

That's the whole thing about tropes: Used where they belong, they're at most invisible and at least accepted without disrupting the presentation. Out of place, you hope that the audience forgives you.

>>32866646
>mental commands
It's a good way to establish the personality of your Psychic and its relationship with other characters, and simple enough that it doesn't take much explaining even without relying on Pokemon context to be used when it seems like something the characters would do. But for my writing, I've established that post-speech T.M., the role of commands versus training pokemon to fight mostly unguided is part of the cultural divide.
>>
>>32866447
>a Pikachu named Sparky
>a Pikachu named Sparky
>a Pikachu named Sparky
>a Pokémon named Adjectivey

>>32866646
>telepathy an'stuff
It would make sense that psychic communication between psychics exists and is, basically, native and intuitive (we don't really lose "cge!skill points" from learning how to talk and hold basic conversations with other people). Telepathic communication with a non-psychic, or someone who does not have the ability to broadcast or sink "thought-waves" would be reasonably more limited, tiring and dependent on the case by case basis.

One has to balance telepathy with other abilities in the "psychic spectrum" (precognition, telekinesis, or just flat out spam Psychic to win) tho, because otherwise it's a OP Psychic Alert. Or, as I like to call it, "Mary Sue Telepathetic".

While I've never established a headcanon for psychic abilities and telepathy, but I'd place a good starting point that unaided, not prearranged telepathy is tiring and dangerous to the recipient - you have direct access to the other entity's brain, so you can easily overwrite and destroy things if you don't know exactly what you are doing (or if you find a sudden bump during your transmission). Most Psychic types would need to "ping" their Trainer in order to warm them up before relaying to them any telepathic information.
>>
>>32868123
A Pikachu named Sparky tells you quite a bit about a character. Like relative maturity or age. Given that I've yet to write a kid, I haven't used such simplistic names.
>>
>>32868123
>a dog named spot
>a cat named mittens
>a dog named blue
>a cat named smokey
>a dog named fluffy
What's your point?
>>
>>32868176
I feel like it'd make more sense to name more animalistic Pokemon by more generic "pet" names, while naming the more intelligent, hmanoid ones "people" names. Like a Pikachu named Sparky, instead of, like, Timothy, or Joanne. Meanwhile, I could totes see a Machamp named Samson, or a Mr Mine named Wilson.

>>32868123
It also stands to reason that not all "psychic" Pokemon are telepathic, and not all telepathic Pokemon are psychic type. What about other mediums of psychic communication? Would a Drowzee or Hypno be able to manipulate your dreams to communicate?
>>
>>32868432
I suppose so? I think you can name a pet just about anything. I have a dog named Lulu, for example.

More humanoid Pokemon being named adjectives or simplistic names would feel a bit odd though. But then again, I've yet to name any Pokemon that acts as a character anything that isn't a proper name. Except maybe Glory.
>>
File: 1485177768648.jpg (10KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1485177768648.jpg
10KB, 400x400px
>no Lopunny fics
>>
>>32868620
would you a /k/ lopunny?
>>
>>32868861
Explain
>>
>>32868898
newfag lurk moar
>>
>>32868898
lopunny's best hold item is 12-gage
>>
is there a pokemon X Wheel of time crossover?

Is there a pokemon X <insert a western fantasy series here*> crossover?

* - harry potter, twilight and hunger games not included
>>
>>32868903
>>32868916
But everyone knows Farfetch'd and the other Ducks are more /k/

https://youtu.be/NYSd2SNfK4k
>>
>>32868898
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7654189

I didn't realize until I'd completed the story that I named the gun Annabelle for a reason hidden in my memories of a certain shotgun toting priest. I don't have the picture of lopunny holding a shotgun on my phone though. Sorry mate.
>>
File: IMG_0013.jpg (43KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
43KB, 400x301px
>>32869143
Have Bugs with a gun.

I'll check it out after work
>>
>>32869143
>implying the reference wasn't consciously intentional
You're killing the dream. We want to believe.
Especially since already it's a stretch since that Annabelle is a repeating rifle.
>>
>>32869236
Oh yeah, you're right, it is. Welp, c'est la vie.
>>
For a moment I thought I was still on /k/.
>>
>>32869143
I enjoyed it a lot
Good job!
>>
File: 1473132435967.jpg (243KB, 800x517px) Image search: [Google]
1473132435967.jpg
243KB, 800x517px
>>32869263
Pokémon stories with /k/ themes are my favorites. Can get really creative with weapons in a world where most things'll kill ya. Nothing like a journey taking place innawoods with your Pokémon pal and your arm of choice. I need to get back to writing.
>>
>>32869382
My upcoming story has some guns, but the only one a pokemon holds is a flare gun
>>
File: sm.jpg (115KB, 584x360px) Image search: [Google]
sm.jpg
115KB, 584x360px
>>32869437
who's that pokemon?
>>
>>32868946
Crossovers are rarely shared here. The last one I remember posted here involved Kirby characters
>>
>>32869382
Working on a story featuring a paramilitary ground and uses Pokemon and standard weapons. Assault riffles, stun rods, bowie knives. Even some of those fancy skeleton suits, whatever you call em.
>>
File: 1476195234955.jpg (47KB, 576x992px) Image search: [Google]
1476195234955.jpg
47KB, 576x992px
>>32869437
>>32869638
That's great. So far what I've been working on has been an introduction to the characters. I don't think I've given any Pokémon a firearm. Usually their moves seem good enough but who knows maybe it could be good for in a pinch if afflicted by encore or disable. As for the humans, light concealment is the way I've been going since the beginning setting is in a city on the outskirts of civilization. Once the story progresses to the wilderness of the frontier I'm planning on higher caliber becoming practical. It means trainers aren't useless in combat situations. Good luck to you guys as well.
>>
>>32869643
What about stuff to enhance a Pokemons abilities? Like a bisharp wielding some sort of mechanical arm blade, or a Machamp wearing some kind of power armor?
>>
>>32853645
Oh shit, I figured I'd have faded into obscurity by now. And no, I haven't finished but I'll get on it soon. I was binge playing SMT: Nocturne and...a lot of time was spent fusing the ultimate demons.
>>
File: 1488907499690.png (830KB, 549x936px) Image search: [Google]
1488907499690.png
830KB, 549x936px
>>32869808
Don't see why not. We already have assault vest items. You could teach a Machamp to use brass knuckles or learn martial arts that make use of a blade. As for mechanical arm blades I'd tread carefully. Maybe the guy lost an arm and that's his replacement. Bisharp already have ample weapons so I'd consider outfitting a human with such a device before further overpowering a Pokémon.
>>
>>32870280
Well, I wasny actually planning on weaponizing Pokemon too much, I was just making an example.
>>
>>32869638
fuck dude, always been an idea of mine to write about pokemon in a zone-like place. Might be a good time to jump on it soon.
>>
File: 5645.jpg (141KB, 400x644px) Image search: [Google]
5645.jpg
141KB, 400x644px
>>32870280
>using heathen weapons
>>
>>32866646
I don't mind telepathy so long as it doesn't seem overpowered or too easy to use/obtain. I believe most Psychic-types have some innate telepathic skill (and the same goes for certain other non-Psychic Pokemon species, judging by info like their abilities or dex entries), but they have to train and practice to make their telepathy precise or controllable. They shouldn't be born with perfect telepathic powers, if you ask me.

>>32869643
Honestly, I'm not so sure Pokemon should be given firearms. That may be redundant considering Pokemon are so powerful by themselves. Plus, letting your characters solve problems by simply shooting them runs the risk of making things too boring and easy. You'd also have to consider whether the given Pokemon has the physical and mental capacity to operate a firearm, or whether Pokemon can legally own and use weapons in the first place.
That's not to say a story where Pokemon have guns couldn't work, but I think it would need to be handled carefully.
>>
>>32870927
I get what you're saying. I wouldn't give them guns personally, but the fact they can use hyper beams without a license seems a bit unfair for humans. Unless that license to shoop woop derives from the trainer's license.
Either way legality isn't really an issue in life or death circumstances, and using a weapon when your adversary also has the same type of deadly abilities involves intricate strategy going beyond point 'n shoot in good story telling.
>>
File: 1460517974121.png (2MB, 2397x1619px) Image search: [Google]
1460517974121.png
2MB, 2397x1619px
>>
File: IMG_0015.jpg (131KB, 500x503px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
131KB, 500x503px
So after some sleep, some diet soda, a lot of bike riding, and working, I will offer up the following corrections and thread bump:

1. I was wrong. You can not handle three Pokémon, focus on two well-developed Pokémon per important character.

1a. Use everything about Pokémon to tell your story. Their moves, their designs, the way they evolve, what the pokedex says and what you feel about them, to help enhance your story.

2. It's fine to "Tell, not Show". It's fine to take a moment to set the mood and location instead of throwing a purple prose sentence every paragraph.

3. I really should have worded this better and thanks to the person in the other thread who corrected me but I will still mess this up: Accessorize your Pokémon. Only 1 (uno) accessory per 'Mon, but let them wear a hat, a scarf, a backpack that looks like those neat ones Asian school children all seem to have, even let them dye a tuft of fur or part of their tail.

3a. We are going to forget the MC and tribulations of the story you wrote, but we will always remember the __________ that had a _________ .

4. You really should outline your story, homie. Not saying you should have it all planned out, but you should spend a few minutes just writing down the general skeleton of the story.

5. Dedícate a chapter to just playing with their Pokémon. People love reading about people playing/brushing/hugging a Pokémon.

6. There was more here, but I forgot and this phone keeps wanting me to put an emoji.
>>
>>32869382

My current story involves Pokemon armed with Victorian and WW1-era rifles with a few pistols in between and swords to boot.
The use in story boils down to what the person prefers and how society is progressing away from CQC to cold, heartless warfare. The logic, in universe, is, why bother going up and fighting for five hard, long minutes to bag a kill when you could just shoot it and be done?
>>
>>32872523
>3a. We are going to forget the MC and tribulations of the story you wrote, but we will always remember the __________ that had a _________ .

If your characters can't be remember for being the character they are, then you're just not good at writing them. Who ever went "Hey, remember that story about the Dragonite who wore sneakers?" Not me. Going to forget the MC and the tribulations you wrote? Dude. No. That in itself is a horrible thing to say. If at least the MC of a story doesn't make me feel anything, I stop reading. No matter how "cool" any other characters may be. I'd say the entire opposite of your statement is true. Make a character people will remember. Create a story that will make people go "wow, that was a good story". Just, no. I don't agree with this statement at all.
>>
File: 134123123423.jpg (72KB, 601x600px) Image search: [Google]
134123123423.jpg
72KB, 601x600px
>>32872523
Only Sith deal in absolutes
>>
>>32872753
>Who ever went "Hey, remember that story about the Dragonite who wore sneakers?" Not me.
You would if they were Converse All-stars, because that'd be automatically radical.
>>
>>32872523
>drinking aspartame
You madman.
>>
>>32872753
Yeah I'm reading it and I really shouldn't have put that part there. I'm going to blame the diesel beside me and go blow stuff up as Junkrat
>>
>>32872523
I might as well post my two cents on this while I'm here.

>1.
Personally, I think you're still wrong. Although it is indeed important to avoid making characters flat (unless they're background characters or generally unimportant, in which case it's acceptable to not spend much time fleshing them out), it's possible to write about more than 2 characters and still make them interesting. I don't think people should limit themselves to only a small number of characters. However, it is true that limiting the number of characters makes it easier to flesh out each one of them.

>1a.
>2.
I agree with both of these

>3.
I partially agree. Accessories can be fun, but I definitely don't think they're necessary.

>3a.
This is very wrong. People will and should remember the main character and the tribulations more than silly little details. If a story is remembered for literally nothing other than individual quirks in how the characters look, that's a failure of the author (or maybe of the reader, for missing the more important parts of the story).

>4.
Exactly. I outline all my stuff before I write it. I need to have at least some vague idea of where I want things to go before I start writing.

>5.
That could work in some stories, but not all. Sometimes it might disrupt the flow of the story, or feel out-of-place, or be boring. It's definitely not something I think should be in every story, and definitely not with an entire chapter devoted to it.

>6.
Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.
>>
>>32862237
Nicknames for humans sure, but only if it's shortend versions of their name or something they were called in the anime.
Like Gary calling Ash, Ashy boy or something. Or Calling Mi-sty 'Mist' or something.

For Pokemon? I stay away from that as much as possible because all it does is add more names that could confuse the reader. The only Pokemon that really could support having a nickname would be the Starter Pokemon.

Usually Pokemon nicknames are given right on capture and they're just something the writer adds to distinguish it from another Pokemon, but in doing so makes things more difficult for the reader because they have to remember another human name instead of getting an instant visual of a Pokemon in their name from their species. The only way an entire roster should have a name is if a Pokemon has its name decided over the course of the story, a small bit after the actual capture so that the Trainer has time to think about its reasons for being named whatever it gets named.
>>
In the games, all of the contest pokemon have nicknames. It's safe to assume nicknaming is a common practice, but it's not feasible to display them in battle.
>>
>>32875764
I forgot about that. I didn't do the contest that much.
>>
How much do you guys usually wrote in a day, or at any one time?

I've been real busy at work, so I only wrote a paragraph or two at a time while I'm at work, but I usually try to spend at least half an hour an evening on writing.
>>
>>32877349
Maxed out a few years ago at 15k w/d. Now I aim for 1k, at minimum 500, however my schedule frequently changes. Staying consistent, allowing time for ideas to grow before materializing is key to writing interesting stories for a prolonged time. That's why I keep coming back to fanfic.
>>
>>32877349
If I manage to find myself in "the zone" when writing, which has been a really rare thing over the last few years I can go for a 8k+ words in a sitting and go for 8+ hours if I want to.

Usually what happens is I'll go to write down summaries or ideas and that'll be it. Only getting 1k if even that every couple weeks.
>>
File: 1493828210332.jpg (88KB, 419x580px) Image search: [Google]
1493828210332.jpg
88KB, 419x580px
You know, the heroes always get all the love. Considering this, I will write about an anti-hero. Anyone have experience with this? Want to avoid the pitfalls associated with a main character who is in essence going against the grain by confronting several opponents that may very well be morally justified in their own utilitarian ways despite the protagonist disagreeing with their methods.
>>
>>32879534
>confronting several opponents that may very well be morally justified in their own utilitarian ways despite the protagonist disagreeing with their methods.
This isn't "the antagonist of an antihero", this is "good villain design".
>>
>>32879823
The "villains" are the good guys though. It's subjective in a sense. The majority of people respect and admire them. An anti-hero goes against their ambitions, motivated by personal reasons or differing morality. In its most simple form: if both were walking along a busy street, the heroes would be praised and cheered for, while the anti-hero would be arrested on sight. Not because of their literally definitions, but based on their actions in the community.
>>
>>32879914
Last sentence meant to say literary, as in the roles they have in a greater story vs. their perceived merit among other characters.
>>
>>32879914
Anti-heroes are still 'heroes.' They still work towards a kind of Good, though their methods may be extreme or morally ambiguous and their motivations are usually not pursuit of the morally right, but rather self interest or revenge. Their opposition to textured villains, even those with sympathetic aims or histories, is cheered on by the reader because the villain is inexcusably wrong in some (usually large) part of their methodology or aims. They may have the best for humanity at heart, but you know what they say about good intentions.
>>
File: 1493864894768.png (267KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493864894768.png
267KB, 500x500px
>>32869263
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I feel my claws. My tail. The body I've lost, it's all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Revised edition of First Contact is up on AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/works/11323233/chapters/25345599

Third chapter is already done and revised but I figured I may as well wait and see what the reaction outside the writethread is to my humans meet PMD Pokemon and they fight other humans and mons... with guns n' stuff I'M GETTING THERE I SWEAR JUST WAIT FOR THE BUILD UP.
>>
>>32880673
>mfw when i need to rewrite my first few chapters because they are trash and i was so depressed when i made them i thought i explained my shit but i didnt
There is at least 10K words worth of plot i completetly left out jesus christ help me
>>
>>32877349
It's fucking getting smaller and smaller with a combination of work, difficulty of proofread, and lack of free time. I used to churn 2k a day while I was unemployed in order to supplement my insane drafting requirements.
>>
>>32877349
In a day? Usually 0. At any given time that I'm actually writing? 1000 - 4000 words.
>>
>>32880358
I think this post sums up what I'm looking to accomplish. If nothing else, cheering for the underdog by the reader. To do this effectively, I have to formulate the contextual villains as dubious in some manner that goes beyond the pale. The first thought is to have their good intentions gone wrong, be actively hidden or in some way concealed from the vantage of the masses; however, if you know of any stories that achieved this through a different successful method I'm all ears. At the end of the day, a sense of justice is at stake. Each side has their own sense of it, and that stark conflict of interest creates the inevitable climax (coming full circle to the TotT).
>>
File: 1457317096499.jpg (359KB, 910x910px) Image search: [Google]
1457317096499.jpg
359KB, 910x910px
>>
Morning bump
>>
File: IMG_3777.jpg (173KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3777.jpg
173KB, 894x894px
>>32872858
ABSOLutes
>>
>>32884502
>ABSOLutes
best utes
>>
File: Stump.png (931KB, 1078x1729px) Image search: [Google]
Stump.png
931KB, 1078x1729px
Prompt: Stump invited you to this lab and you get to rub his chest fur.
>>
>>32885278
too easy, make it a challenge
chest dandruff, write it sexy
>>
>>32885278
Wait wtf is that?
>>
>>32885278
Stump walked along a dusty route,
Studying the Pokémon he watched all about.
Rattata bursting from tall grasses,
He decided that day: "I'll wear contacts, not glasses."

Stump wanted to become a prof,
He'd learn their forms, from giant dragon down to moth.
Even if work would never end,
With perseverence, every one could be his friend.

Stump was wet and salty, and researched the sea,
Nine years behind him, earning Ph. D.
To catch a Kyogre, "God, help," he'd beg.
Sharpedo came, and tore off his leg.

He's Stump, he's Stump, and since that day,
He's Stump, he's Stump, he's Stump, he's called that way.

Is this Stump thought of as weird? I think so.
Is this Stump publicly jeered? I think so.
Is this Stump someone who's feared? I think so.
Is it 'cause of his chest beard? … … …
>>
That's your new daddy anon, duh.

Despite your habits of not going outside much, you always had time for small talk with your neighbor, local celebrity and THICC AHOTTIE AF Professor Stump.
Today he had invited you over, he told you it was because he needed in extra hand, but he didn't specify anymore.
"What could he mean by that?"; you thought as your thought ass sucked itself up from the sheer thought of being near the man.
>>
>can't stump the stump, so bump
>>
File: 47081962_p5_master1200.jpg (344KB, 924x1200px) Image search: [Google]
47081962_p5_master1200.jpg
344KB, 924x1200px
Can anybody recommend me to romance story(s) in which one of the characters has a puppy-love like sense of adoration towards the other. I'm really looking for a story like this for inspiration, but I can't find jack shit, be it fanfic, book, or otherwise.
>>
>>32873110
I don't disagree. If you can handle a large team, go ahead and do it. I just think people should focus on making a few good characters than a billion cardboard cutouts.

>>32886591
>Those glasses
Both cute and distressing
>>
File: 48971749_p4_master1200.jpg (123KB, 672x714px) Image search: [Google]
48971749_p4_master1200.jpg
123KB, 672x714px
>>32887671
Pokemon can have eye impairments, too
>>
>>32887754
>zubat
>>
File: Meray (12).png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Meray (12).png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>TotT: What makes a strong climax in a story, whether as a writer or a reader?

When what you've been reading for a long period of time all comes together, ideally in a pleasing way. It's one of the most rewarding parts of reading a story.
>>
>>32887754
I want to pet it, but the Transformation stuff is weird.
>>
>>32877349
It varies wildly, depending on how inspired or motivated I feel any given day. Sometimes I get a lot done, other times I go the whole day without writing anything at all. Unfortunately, the latter has been far more common for a while now, but I've also been trying to change that. Hopefully I'll have something to show for it before this thread is over.
>>
File: 1444500846602.png (1MB, 1800x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1444500846602.png
1MB, 1800x1500px
>>
>>32889351
When a story ends, and I'm not sitting there saying "but what happened to x"
>>
>>32891554
>sitting there saying "but what happened to x"
>cge
>>
File: utsl859.png (15KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
utsl859.png
15KB, 125x125px
>>32891619
Has sempai noticed me?
I'd better play it cool.

… 'Sup?
>>
>>32891619
>this part of the story was so unclear it was unenjoyable
>"that was my intention :^) "
>but it's a flaw that detracts from the reader's enjoyment
>"just as planned :^)))) "
>>
File: 63563415_p7_master1200.jpg (455KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
63563415_p7_master1200.jpg
455KB, 1200x1200px
>>32886591
Books are fine, even preferable, as long as they fit the bill
>>
>>32891619
>>32892547

I'm not sure what you guys are trying to say. I just hate when a story ends, and it gives zero explanation about what happens to main characters. I mean, I don't think each character needs their own separate epilogue, but if a character has played an important role in the story, hey deserve some sort of acknowledge at he end somehow.
>>
>>32893181
Well it depends on what the story closes on, I think. Some stories don't need such elaboration if the events make the future clear or at least inferable in some way. Scholars Folly is technically a closed story, as it ends with Jo and Viola arriving at Slateport to take a ship to Sinnoh. They're starting a new chapter in their lives together, and I don't think I had to say anything to make that clear, as all the previous events and dialogue between them and other characters made it clear. Hell, the climax of the story is a fight to secure that right to go to Sinnoh undisturbed.

Granted I continued their stories in Errant's Hearth and Au Coup Par Coup, but if I never had I don't think my readers would be at a loss as to how their lives in the immediate future turn out. But maybe I'm wrong.
>>
>>32893181
Yes, we we're agreeing with you.

I just called out cge for doing it.
>>
>>32893251
Oooh, ok.

Sometimes when a movie ends or I finish a book, I like to go back and see what the last lines certain characters said was, or when the last time they were even on screen.

Freaking transformers movies peeved me off about that. Some of certain characters "last scene"s were over half an hour before the movie ended. Then nothing. The help save the day, but.. where the fuck did they go? Not just not having any lines, they're just.. not even standing in the background. Shit like that annoys me more than it should but it does.
>>
>>32893497
That shit drives me up a wall too. Long running anime is particularly bad at this, and Naruto could be the worst of the worst. The author seemingly forgot about a huge swath of people.
>>
>>32894884
Bleach. Bleach takes the cake.

ALL those characters, then the ending is like, four main characters and the two sisters watching TV. Just once pacing glace at uryu, neither of the dads are even mentioned, hardly any follow-up on any of the captains or lieutenants. All the previous villains suddenly become good guys at the very end, but then just disappear into obscurity. Shit pissed me off.
>>
File: 1369016732387.png (59KB, 400x439px) Image search: [Google]
1369016732387.png
59KB, 400x439px
>writing an effective, concise summary (elevator pitch) taking as much time as the first chapter
>>
>>32895475
It's a good thing. Keep it up Kermit
>>
>>32895193

the author of bleach wanted to write more but he was forced to cut the story short early due to producers

fanfic writers don't really have this excuse
>>
>>32895475
I've never achieved that goal.
Good luck, Amphibro.
>>
File: 1498659601030.jpg (488KB, 750x1116px) Image search: [Google]
1498659601030.jpg
488KB, 750x1116px
>>32895547
>mfw my first "fanfic" was a bleach crossover with my own oc story
>mfw is was an amazing story
>mfw I didnt post it online, literally just emailed the .doc to friends and people that asked for it
>mfw I lost the file ages ago and the story is gone forever

Shit sucks, so. Always keep your shit triple backed up.
>>
>>32896734
You did back it up: an off-side copy to each of those friends and people.
Ask 'em till one comes up with it.
>>
>>32896734
check your drafts/sent folders
I have shit in mine from 2007
>>
>>32896797
Don't talk to any of my "online" friends from back then. All the irl friends dont have a copy of it still anymore either. Nor do i use the same email address I had all those years ago.

Its ok. The story forever lives on in my mind.

>>32896804
I've looked. Trust me, I've looked. Shit took me months to write. I just chock it up to a lesson learned. Now I write and keep it saved to google docs, and keep a backup .doc.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-02-24-19h13m46s157.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-02-24-19h13m46s157.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
>>32895547
Kubo would have kept writing for another decade if he was given the freedom to. He absolutely would have done it.
>>
>>32855324

mimiga I could copy check some stuff this weekend if you put up another link sometime
>>
>>32897439
What's a copy check, and why would I needta make a new link? I thought I fixed the link already though.
>>
>>32897454
Copy check is literally checking over copy. In this case what you wrote is considered the copy.
>>
>>32897454
Copy editing is when you look over a text (or a 'copy' as tex said) for spelling and grammar errors, and other mechanical faults. This is opposed to substantive editing that goes over the story itself, that I personally call 'workshopping'. If anyone knows an actual term for that I'd love to be corrected.
>>
writing related bump
>>
Writing tip of the bump: Often you'll find that adverbs can be replaced by creative verb choices! Adverb in moderation, friends.
>>
>>32901393
Adverbs are the best, easiest, nicest, most amazing, powerful, cool way to express a thought or idea.
>>
>>32901393
>adverbs can be replaced by creative verb choices
>>32901451
>Noun verb article adjective, adjective, adjective, superlative adjective, adjective, adjective verb infinitive article noun conjunction noun.
>No adverbs anywhere.
Convincingly said.
>>
>>32902050
I knew you would be the anon who pointed it out, too
>>
>>32902473
My writing is nothing if not predictable.
It's also nothing but differently so.
>>
>>32902606
>my writing is nothing
>it's also nothing

Noted.

I'm kidding.
>>
What are your pet peeves?

Personally, I hate when one character needs to catch another up on recent events and instead of a back and forth conversation, we get a "cut" to after the explanation with a flat response to the whole of it. I understand that it can feel pointless and difficult to summarize the preceding plot in a few paragraphs, but there's so much important information that can be conveyed in the first character's reflections and feelings about those events as well as the second character's response to learning the different parts of it.
>>
File: image.png (46KB, 528x487px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
46KB, 528x487px
Sometimes the hardest thing when writing is coming up with a name for your fic.
>>
>>32903604
THIS IS ME RIGHT NOW

>>32903084
Word.

I think one of my biggest peves would be too little or no character development at all, even for minor characters. Im not saying that every random grunt needs and entire back story. But it doesn't hurt to "introduce" a character if they're going to be used to help move along the plot in some way.
>>
>>32897090
Kubo actually cared more about "drawing cool shit" than anything. It was Jump and his editor that pushed the plot so much
>>
>>32904576
Yeah, I could believe that.
>>
Goodnight bump
>>
File: 1376625322147.png (2MB, 1177x1003px) Image search: [Google]
1376625322147.png
2MB, 1177x1003px
bump
>>
File: 1448650806425.jpg (153KB, 393x556px) Image search: [Google]
1448650806425.jpg
153KB, 393x556px
Hey you! Yeah, I'm talking to YOU. Keep writing.
>>
>>32908179
I've been writing (and reviewing) all morning.
And afternoon.
And will continue to into night.
But it's not Pokémon.
So it doesn't help any.
Not that it would if it were.
Unless…
>>
>>32908179
I'm at AX buying shit, I'll do it later.
>>
>>32908770
where?
>>
>>32908179
Am writing. No worries.

Will it see the light, that's 'nother matter.
>>
>>32908899
Anime Expo.
>>
File: 1448599246257-vp.jpg (32KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448599246257-vp.jpg
32KB, 400x300px
You ever have one of those days where you write all manner of plot notes to outline the direction of your tale?
I'm having one of those. It's like I got bitten by some creative bug and put on a wild ride. I'm happy about it but also overwhelmed by what comes next (specifically the writing numerous chapters part).
>>
>>32909838
>(specifically the writing numerous chapters part)
Take 'em one at a time.
>>
File: 1489627072645.gif (2MB, 370x319px) Image search: [Google]
1489627072645.gif
2MB, 370x319px
>>32910108
Will do
>>
>>32910806
>the stick clips through the right post
every time
>>
>>32911838
Oh god, now I can't unsee it
>>
File: 1494180402898.png (166KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494180402898.png
166KB, 640x480px
>>32909838
I feel ya
>nut so hard i broke my neck
>use my new free time in bed to replay GtI and think up a new plot
>>
File: 1459178968672.gif (236KB, 477x318px) Image search: [Google]
1459178968672.gif
236KB, 477x318px
>>32912522
I still need to play Gates, it's the only PMD I've yet to complete.
>>
File: 1484989065061.jpg (148KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484989065061.jpg
148KB, 480x480px
>>32908179
I'm trying, believe me.

I just got back into writing in earnest for the first time in months, but it's tougher than I remember. Getting the motivation to start and keep going is tough, and when I actually do begin, I often feel like I'm doing something wrong. Either I'm writing myself into a corner, or not getting my point across, or just generally making mistakes. And because I keep doubting myself, I spend too much time rereading what I wrote so far and making minute changes instead of moving forward. But I don't want to move forward too quickly and risk being careless or letting flaws slip through. I feel like if I present something flawed to people and they don't like it, that means I wasted their time because they could have read something better and more enjoyable in the time it took to read my stuff.

In short, I haven't been making much progress at all. I know that I need to figure out how to push through the demotivation and hesitation and whatnot, instead of procrastinating and worrying about things forever, but I'm having trouble doing so. Still, I've got to make it work somehow, and soon. It's been so long since I posted any content in these threads that I doubt anyone even remembers I was writing something in the first place.

...Okay, blogpost over. Sorry about that. But at least it served to bump the thread up from page 9.
>>
>>32913469
It's very good. You really need to, because it has the best town and a lot of the best NPCs in the series.
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.