[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think any amount of multiple HP bars could work for boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: hpbars.png (2KB, 1600x250px) Image search: [Google]
hpbars.png
2KB, 1600x250px
Do you think any amount of multiple HP bars could work for boss fights in Pokemon? Why or why not?
>>
>pokemon
>boss fights

Let's get there first then we'll talk

fuck gf for the lusamine cock teasing too
>>
>>32831249
Totems?
>>
>>32831257
Step in the right direction but not quite a proper boss fight. Bosses need to fundamentally have abilities and stats that the player doesn't have beyond a bonus stat boost to start the battle. It needs to be a fight to the death, to your last pokemon in red health pulling a clutch bullet punch. If you played blind on the first play through, it seemed the totems were either way too easy or a few of them catch you by surprise and just wipe your team. Once you know their type, ability, moves and assistant pokemon gimmick they're all easy to puss easy. Most of them can be ohko'd with a zmove right off the bat.
>>
>>32831379
A lot of totems seemed to go one of two ways, between my and a few friends playthroughs.
Generally speaking, every one of my friends got bodied on one of Wishiwashi, Lurantis, or Salazzle, and roflstomped the other two. The one they got bodied by wasn't always the one they had a starter weakness going into. It honestly seemed pretty random.
Mimikyu similarly was a coin toss for my friends. There, however, the deciding factor seemed to be how much of a cunt the Haunter were.
Every other totem was a joke because the fuckers never attack. Honestly, Wishiwashi has a penchant for doing nothing to you as well. They just sit there leering at you until they die. Out of the 6 people who I'm talking about, only one of us actually got attacked by Vikavolt. I should mention that one of my friends fucking leech seed stalled it, and it never attacked. Just sat there charging.
>>
File: 1473859576610.png (222KB, 670x402px) Image search: [Google]
1473859576610.png
222KB, 670x402px
>>32831713
i think its coz sm just had pacing problems. if you go for 100% completion in each route, you'll be overleveled for everything in the story. or that was my experience. any exploration off the path, which there wasn't much, any trying to catch a pokemon specifically instead of just catching what you come across, just leaves you way overlevelled for everything.
if the AI was a bit better, having multiple HP bars might actually work with totem like challenges in the future, but i think the pacing is the bigger issue. the games just aren't hard enough. maybe thats because they want little kids to be able to do them, but then i don't think thats really giving little kids enough credit.
>>
>>32831907
>but then i don't think thats really giving little kids enough credit.
Fucking this. How many of you went back to play Sonic on the genesis or some shit, and realized that A: These games are fucking hard, and B: You were better at them when you were five? Kids fucking git gud. You can't beat the first level now, but 5-year old you apparently managed to beat the whole thing. They find what works. Give them something harder, and they will fucking beat it. I don't know where the fuck this "It's a kid's game, and kid's games are easy" bullshit comes from.

Fuck, maybe it might even make these games slightly less harmful to the psyche of young children if instead of teaching them "You can effortlessly win anything! By the way have you considered fucking this one?", they taught 'em "You can do it, but it's gonna be hard". Still a shitty replacement for actual parenting, but whatever.

You know what? I'm gonna blame capitalism. It probably took you a year to beat that old game. That shit don't fly no more, you can't still be playing the same game in a year, you need to be on your 6th by then! It isn't that kids need easy shit. It's that kids are terrible at milking their games, so fuck 'em, make them beat it effortlessly in a week.
I think I'm gonna go REEEE in the corner for a minute. Take some breaths.
>>
>>32832048
>Fuck, maybe it might even make these games slightly less harmful to the psyche of young children if instead of teaching them "You can effortlessly win anything! By the way have you considered fucking this one?",
lol THIS though for real.
modern "grown up" games are going this way too.
>>
>>32832048
finally, someone who fucking gets it
>>
>>32832048
>>32832100
I think part of the problem is what parents are giving them.

When we grew up, we were given these moderately difficult games, so we kinda had to learn, or not play at all.

Nowadays, if a kid gets upset, they can just ask mommy or daddy for their phone to play one of those stupid simple games.

I will however admit Pokemon has never been particularly hard, gens 1 and 2 were actually some of the easiest in the franchise, memetank aside, yet gen 6 was somehow even easier then they were, unless you turned off the share, which just made XY tedious, or ORAS just RS with megas, balance wise.
>>
>>32831379

meh, let's just give "ace" pokemon +2 in all stats and 100 hp base plus "hacked" abilities and illegal movesets
>>
>>32831231
This is a concept I've been thinking about for a while. I mixed Horde Battles, Totem Battles and SOS Battles as well as some new stuff to make what I think would be a great Boss Battle mode. Imagine this:

Boss: Regigigas (for example)
Level: X (unknown)
Stat boost to every stat (some more than others depending on which Pokémon it is and what stat boosts they need)
HP has two bars; an extra blue bar on top of the ordinary bar (essentially putting their HP at 200%)
Each Boss Pokémon would have any number of other Pokémon to protect it, in this case it is Regirock, Regice and Registeel.
The help Pokémon can play different roles depending on the Boss Battle, sometimes they're just extra muscle, sometimes they need to be defeated first before one can start damaging the Boss.
Boss Pokémon cannot be caught.

Other scenarios could be Boss Raticate with 5 Rattata helping it, or Boss Darkrai with a Dusknoir, Chandelure and Mismagius helping it, or Dialga/Palkia with Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf protecting them. It could also have been Ghetsis' team protecting Kyurem in BW2.
>>
>>32832879
This would make Regigigas a fucking beast. You'd only have 5 turns to defeat Regirock/ice/steel before Slow Start wears off and its Attack and Speed gets doubled. It would be a race against the clock!
>>
>>32831231
>Super Fang
>>
>>32833594
>Kid's way out
>>
>>32833594
They could have stipulations that make moves not work as intended. Could just be 1 half a bar rather than max HP.
>>
>>32832129
I never played Gen 1, but RS is definitely easier than FRLG. The level curve of the latter is completely fucked up.
>>
>>32832169
So basically Pokemon Clover?
>>
>>32834352
Can confirm. The level gap from Blaine to Giovanni is like 10 levels. And from Giovanni to champion blue is about 13 levels
>>
>>32831231
Multiple HP bars are just a fancy HP bar
>>
>>32832903
Fucking dope
I love that this makes so much sense, like maybe the one competent developer they have at gamefreak engineered Regigigas with slow start with cool shit like this in mind, but masuda was like hahaha I don't know and cut it for a lame sidequest that requires you to buy both versions
>>
>>32837102
You could use them to have multiple stages with different stats and attacks - like a normal Trainer sending out a new Pokemon, but fluffed as it changing behaviour or losing armour or whatever as it takes damage.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.