[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know Gyms are nice and all, and a lotta people on /vp/ hate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

File: p06_04_en.jpg (45KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
p06_04_en.jpg
45KB, 400x240px
I know Gyms are nice and all, and a lotta people on /vp/ hate trials, but honestly am I gonna be alone here on being disappointed if USM removes Trials? I thought they were cool. They were a bit part of what made Alola feel new and interesting, and I would rather have them again than have them just be dropped. I'm fine if we do end up getting Gyms alongside them, but just dropping them would be a huge disappointment on my part.
>>
>>32828364
It would be just one of the many improvements that they have dropped on the next game for no good reason.
>>
Trials and gyms are exactly the same. They're just dressed up as something different to trick stupid people into thinking they actually are different.
>>
In all honesty, removing trials could potentially allow them to re-do routes to make them actually interesting
>>
>>32828491
>different objectives
>Totem Pokemon battle mechanics are balanced differently than trainer battles
>completely different reward
>exactly the same
>>
I prefer Gym Battles. Have trials be side things you can do to get TM's or items or something.
>>
>>32828514
This was sort of my point, too. Trials could be great as an optional thing in future games. I liked the Totem Battles a lot, and some of the puzzles were fun. Having Trials being kept, just as a sidequest to get extra items(or maybe even be a way to continue implementing Z moves in future games) would be fun.
>>
>>32828364
Trials are good, at least for now. They should definitely still be in USM.
Beyond that I hope they continue to try new things. Gyms were boring after a few generations, trials will also get boring after a few generations. They should be giving us something new every time.
>>
>>32828364
I think the only way to make both camps happy would be if Gyms are used for story progress, but trials are used to earn Z-Crystals
>>
>>32828491
Gyms
>Solve a puzzle that usually is ''just press these switches'', rotate these doors or use teleporters
>Along the way fight some trainers that are blocking your path to a switch/teleporter
>Get to the gym leader and beat him

Trials
>Do a random test
>Fight a Totem Pokemon

the only thing in common that they have is that in the end you have to fight a ''boss''
>>
>>32828364
I prefer gym puzzles to trial """puzzles""". However, totem battles are a lot more fun and challenging than most gym battles. Hopefully we'll get the best of both worlds in the future.
>>
The totem battles gave me much more of a challenge than most gyms, they're also creatively designed which made them interesting to play. Gyms are boring in comparison
>>
>>32828364
I honestly hope we get both. Trials could focus more on the trivia side of RPGs and add some gimmicks, while Gyms can focus more on the puzzle and battling side.
>>
20 sec teaser pretty much confirmed trials. No worries
>>
>>32828600
>wanting more gimmicks
SM already has 3 (three) gimmicks i don't think we need more gimmicks.
>>
>>32828364
I agree, i like them for being similar but different enough from gyms, but somethinf that makes alola alola.

I dont get the complaints, they're retardedly inconsistent, people wouldnt have complained if we got gyms in sm yet have issued with trials being similar to them. Also why i dobt get why people want them specifically gone.
>>
>>32828603
Oh right, the Mimikyu attacking, the angry togedemaru and the jumping lycanroc look like they were from a totem pokemon intro cinematic, i could easily see Lycanroc mid day/night being the new day/night totem fight.
>>
>>32828364
They need a lot more effort put into them. As it is, Gyms are more challenging and more entertaining than the trials.
>>
I know a lot of people found trials challenging, but honesty they felt too easy to me. I'm not saying the gyms were incredibly hard, but they could usually put me in a bad spot if I'm nuzlocking.

That being said, I don't want to see trials removed, just treated differently. Maybe they actually put one in for each Z-Crystal and that's how you get them? I just want gyms back.
>>
>>32828364
Gym's are the absolute worst part of Pokemon games
>Here fight the same 2-3 pokemon representing a type and go through this ""dungeon""

The trials are a huge step in the right direction, with each trial being a different thing, the captains actually being story characters unlike 90% of the gym leaders and the totem bosses all being interesting. Pokemon needs to develop this type of thing more rather than go back to same old gyms they won't.
>>
Theres no way they're gonna remove trials
It's part of the regions identity and the story and the themes of the games depend on them

What they should do is let the gym be built up later in the story or the postgame,

Maybe you go through your Island Challenge and Kukui assigns you to recruit the captians to become gym leaders, building up and challenging the gyms as you complete the trials and that culminates in you challenging the Elite 4 to become the first champion
>>
It was a good idea in theory, awful in practice.

Gyms have become pretty boring with how they're all essentially the same: solve an easy puzzle, fight some trainers.

But then you have Trials which are just "fight a bunch of wild Pokemon, but you're not allowed to catch them".

At least the Gyms offered a basic level of challenge because the trainers were stronger than the ones you faced out on the road and shared a theme, and they served a purpose in testing you before you fought the leader.

Ultimately, the Trials are just change for the sake of change. They replaced something stale with something completely boring that got stale before the end of one game.

Pokemon games NEED a hard mode for people who know what they're doing already. Gyms could be interesting if they were a gauntlet in which you had to beat all the trainers and the Leader in a row.

Alternatively, Totem Pokemon shouldn't just be stronger versions of regular Pokemon, but unique gimmick battles like the ones in the movie studio in BW. It'd be a very specific type of challenge that would set it apart from Gyms.
>>
>>32828364
Trials were no challenge at all, bring gyms back asap or actually make the trials difficult
>>
Trials were okay at best but GF quickly gave up on the idea later in the game.
>>
>>32828364
While trials were a nice idea, they weren't executed properly, a problem most of Sun and Moon has. Here's a couple of changes that I think would make trials better:

>make trial areas longer and more like a mix of routes and gym puzzles
>make the puzzles actual, somewhat hard to solve puzzles that require some effort to solve that fit in with the trial's theme
>use the trial guides like gym trainers as random battles as you progress through the trial
>give wild pokemon in the trials totem boosts
>since totem pokemon have a different pokemon slot in the game data, give their base stats a slight boost on top of the totem boost
>after fighting the totem, you fight the trial captain
>more trials
>in the post-game, allow the ability to redo trials, but harder than last time
Did I do good?
>>
>>32828364

/vp/ loves trials through, and they won't drop the thing on the gen and region, that doesn't even make sense.

>>32828887

>as hard or harder than most gyms, specially recent ones
>+ totem boosts and assists
>+ the fuck ton of pokemon you fight as part of each trial until getting there

They had the same dificulty level than gyms mostly, even autistic kids and paid shills realized it and gave up on complaining about them long ago.
>>
>>32829025
read >>32828878
>>
>>32828364
It was a good idea but terribly executed. They were too easy/were no challenge at all.

Just like the whole game.

and every other Pokemon game on the 3DS.
>>
>>32828571

You say that like there's any difference between gym puzzles and trial ones.

>go in
>fight Pokemon you can't catch while solving a puzzle that gives access to the boss
>fight a boss consisting of several Pokemon, one of which will be the highest leveled Pokemon you fought up until that point
>acquire a plot coupon that puts more items in shops and opens up roadblocks allowing you to access the next areas

They're just dressed in different clothes, but it's the same old bitch.
>>
>>32828628
Gimmicks are like adding some spice to your food. Not everyone's gonna like it, and it doesn't necessarily have any real benefit aside from making it more entertaining to eat/play. And some of us can handle some extra spice like a man.
>>
>>32829238
>while solving a puzzle
only 2 trials did this at most..
>>
File: 1458359436345.png (475KB, 893x732px) Image search: [Google]
1458359436345.png
475KB, 893x732px
>>32828736
But all of this is wrong. Half the trail captains do not show up more than the average gym leader, the ONLY regions where gym leaders do nothing are Kalos and Kanto, they were all the same thing "fight two pokemon then fight totem" thing and are generally easier as it involved less battles.

Trials absolutely sucked and the only game in which gyms were as bad were XY. You really were just tircked by the different aesthetics into thinking it was fresh
>>32829025
you usually fight 3 pokemon at most. That's one trainer
>>
>>32829645
Let's see:

>battle some Yungoos and then some Skull Grunts
>battle some Wishiwashi
>"differentiate between the pictures" that you can't even lose
>wander around until you find ingredients
>audio identification that you can't even fucking lose
>walk on linear path and take pictures when it tells you to
>fight some Pokemon

You're right, only the middle three can even vaguely be described as "puzzles" and they're impossible to actually fail. I think maybe the Thrifty Megamart could maybe be described as a puzzle even though you literally just do exactly what the game tells you to do going on the only possible path.

What the fuck were they thinking with this shit? I really wonder if they had these ideas they were too lazy to properly implement, or if they got focus tested to oblivion.
>>
File: 275820183627628544.png (8KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
275820183627628544.png
8KB, 112x112px
how do we make trials better
>>
>>32829740
The Fire one started out as a legit puzzle then became a joke

Honestly the only good one as a puzzle was the Grass one, and the downside is that it made Lush Jungle small and boring as there was nothing outside the trial
>>
File: 1496861514522.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1496861514522.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
Don't want them to go.
I like them, better than the boring gyms, even with how they're flawed.
Most of the totems were challenging to me, but the trials were kinda lame.
A-Raticate, Salazzle, Kommo-o are too easy because of the shit bulk or/and that fucking double weakness (DELETED WHEN?!)

In general, I think every totems should have a big boost in defenses, double hp or something to make them more tough, as they should be.

They just need some works.

>>32829173
>and every other Pokemon game on the 3DS.
Is this because you always use the exp share?
>>
>>32828926
To add onto this:
>give trial locations areas you can access after the trial
>make grand trials(kahuna battles) work similar to regular trials
>>
>>32829797
not him, never used the expshare and i still agree
>>
>>32829797
>Wishiwashi Trial
>Mimikyu Trial
>Lurantis Trial

i actually lost to those
>>
Gyms could Be postgame. Like you beat the Pokémon League After trials like in SM and then kukui tells you gyms are ready, It would Be kinda retarded because every Gym would have overleveled Pokémon and theres no reason to collect badges since you are already the Champion, but at least its postgame content
>>
>>32828364

Trials were shit and I do want gyms back, Trials were basically water-downed, half ass gyms and were no challenge at all. I literally 1 Hit-KO most of the Totem Pokemon (1 Bulldoze + Salazzle = ded)
But for USUM I think they could add in both, if rumors are true and this game is set in a 'what if you moved to Alola a year later' thing, then the Pokemon League has already been built and to compete in the league you need to get gym badges (Gyms being those empty lots).
Trials can still stick around in order to get Z-Crystals, they can literally have 8 gyms and 7 trials bringing 15 types used, saving 3 types for the Elite 4 and it doesn't matter if they repeat types, especially if they had something like the Dragon Trial where there was no Captain.

So yeah, I want gyms back, I miss the cool badges, they felt like more of an achievement since Z-Crystals can be found randomly, they don't feel as special.
>>
File: 1399056485987.jpg (362KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1399056485987.jpg
362KB, 600x600px
Totem Pokemon showed promise of Game Freak finally figuring out how to change things up and design battles that have something more going for them besides 'your team vs a computer-controlled team with inflated levels, GO'. I want to see more tailor-made encounters that are built around more than just one single signature move and/or monster.
>>
File: 1474412887988.gif (12KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474412887988.gif
12KB, 500x500px
>>32828926
Anyone?
>>
>>32830987
Good, but Alola would have to be substantially updated to add new locations both during and after a trial
>>
File: 1482039148468.png (423KB, 808x882px) Image search: [Google]
1482039148468.png
423KB, 808x882px
>>32828364
SM has
>7 trials
>5 empty lots in cities
>1 empty square on route 15
>Building materials in Royal Avenue
>4 Elite Four members
All add up to 18 types
>>
>>32829767
>and the downside is that it made Lush Jungle small and boring as there was nothing outside the trial
Actually, Lush Jungle got quite a good treatment compared to other trial sites. At least it has a strength boulder you need to come back for and the mossy rock. Have you ever gone back to Wela Volcano or Brooklet Hill for anything besides completing the dex? I haven't. And those are the two examples on that same island. Verdant Cavern is so useless I had to look up it's name, Hokulani Observatory is only worth going back to for ditto and vitamins and Thrifty Megamart even closes the door to the only interesting area inside of it, the surrounding area being useless as usual.
>>
>>32831191
I like this theory, though someone would have to sub in for Acerola since she would be on there twice
>>
>>32830115
My theory was that gyms should happen before the postgame, becoming like a second half to the story

>You beat the last trial
>Kukui calls you up, tells you the Leauge is almost built
>He tells you its time for Alola to have gyms
>You travel back to Melemele Island and build a gym in Hau'oli City
>You find Illima and recruit him to be gym leader
>He accepts, and challenges you to the first match
>Earn the badge, travel to the other islands and do the same for the other captains
>Wait, theres only 7!
>Someone comes up to you and offers to be the eighth
>Its Ya Boi, Guzma!
>With all 8 badges in tow, you travel to the now completed league and challenge the Elite 4 to become the first champion

Postgame lets you rematch them at your pleasure
>>
File: 61621601_p10.png (746KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61621601_p10.png
746KB, 800x1200px
i was pretty disappointed that the grand trials were just fighting the kahuna, and that in the normal trials, you didn't fight the captain at all
>>
>>32828364
>They were a part of what made Alola feel new and interesting
They were literally Gyms but with fewer opponents. Every single Trial had you fight 3 shitmons and then 1 mon with a boosted stat. Compare this to how later Gyms can throw 6-10 opponents at you with 1-4 Pokémon each before facing the Leader who'd have 4-5 high-level Pokémon with one of them being even stronger than the rest. Trials are objectively shit, they told us they'd be about puzzle solving and skill, but all we got was pure "kill 3 shitmons, then 1 strong mon" bullshit for every single one of them. And the fact that the game helps you beat them (getting a Fighting TM before the Normal Trial; getting the Fairy Z-Crystal before the Dragon Trial; etc.) makes it even worse.
>>
>>32828364
Trials were a great idea that were so poorly executed that the shitty gyms are far superior.

So no, fuck trials, they suck dick.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.