[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the games gamefreak put the most amount of effort into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

File: gen 5.png (553KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
gen 5.png
553KB, 600x512px
>the games gamefreak put the most amount of effort into sold terribly

Why?
>>
tried something new instead of g1 pandering
>>
What? Gold and Silver sold very well.
>>
DS piracy was much worse at the time
>>
end of DS lifespan, also a lot more people started having smartphones for playing mobile games

a lot of people wanted to skip it and wait for the 3DS games too

no Charizard or Mewtwo
>>
>>32813534
They were on a dead system at the end of its lifespan, based on initial games that sold a bit lower than other generations.

Actually, though, B/W2 sold a slightly higher percentage compared to B/W than third versions usually do. So if anything, while overall sales were low, it was probably somewhat of a success compared to expectations.
>>
>>32813534
Is this why every game after it had the minimum amount of effort put in.
>>
>>32813534
A couple of a reasons:
>Games released near the end of the DS lifespan: 3DS was weeks from debuting by international release of BW, and was in full swing by release of BW2
>DS piracy had increased substantially at this point
>A lot of people didn't like the fact that BW only had new Pokemon until post-game, and there was a lot of criticism towards the new designs; this is when "Pokemon look like Digimon now" became a common phrase. Also extended to BW2's box legends
That being said, they didn't sell terribly: They just sold a little less than usual. They still have over millions of sales.
>>
It was because on the main story there's no old pokemon.
Just notice how pokemon from old games we've had on new games and how they have sold.
>>
>>32813640
No because sprites are easy for development time compared to 3d
>>
>>32813534
BW and especially BW2 really were great games looking back. So much love put into it and the PWT is still the GOAT.

Too bad with gen6 they realized they can half-ass everything and still break sales records as long as you pack the game with gen1 pandering.
>>
>>32813738
>his is when "Pokemon look like Digimon now" became a common phrase
tbf, this shit is happening since Gen III.
>inb4 Blaziken
>>
>>32813738
>A lot of people didn't like the fact that BW only had new Pokemon until post-game
This!! I actually just had 5 Pokemon in my team and had to research on where to find an everstone for my oshawott
>>
Because after playing gen 4, a lot of newer players decided they didn't care for the series, and older ones decided they didn't want to continue.
>>
>>32813577
>>32813610
>>32813738
>le "end of DS lifespan maymay"

S/M released at a similar end of the 3DS' lifespan, and they sold better.

/vp/ just needs to get it through their heads that their endless circlejerk over Gen V is a contrarian view not at all representative of the majority of the pokemon fanbase. You need to realize that your love for this gen and hatred for "normies" and "genwunners" is the rough equivalent of hipsters in the music world who only listen to shitty bandcamp artists and hate on "normies" and "dadrockers".
>>
File: 5f4.jpg (73KB, 700x460px) Image search: [Google]
5f4.jpg
73KB, 700x460px
>>32814158
>>
>>32814158
Pokemon Go
>>
>>32814182
No, it's not bait, I'm completely serious. Basic sales numbers don't lie, and that argument doesn't hold anyway considering that S/M are in a very similar situation to B/W in terms of when they were released on their respective handheld's lifespan.
>>
>>32814138
Not the game's fault you have shit taste.
>>
Dumb people are scared of new things. They just want the old thing with more flashy effects.

Hell, the whole game industry is like this.
>>
>>32814196
BW followed HG/SS, remakes that brought a ton of nostalgic fans back to the series. And a hell of a lot more people owned DSes than 3DSes, check the sales figures on that one.
>>
>>32813534
terribly? LOOOL
>>
>>32814213
S/M represent a radical departure to the traditional Pokemon formula and they sold much better. Hell, BW2 are a much better fit for your "old thing with more flash effects" statement. It's literally the same old pokemon stuff we'd played for over a decade, just more streamlined. Your argument is invalid.
>>
Because TPCi had just taken over management of the video games outside of Japan and brought terrible marketing campaigns. Not to mention in the games themselves the localizations became extremely stiff and literal to the point of detriment. This applies to HGSS, too, which are the worst selling remakes.

They only really got their shit together on marketing and localization with XY and the latter could still be better.
>>
>>32814233
>radical departure to the traditional Pokemon formula
Literally just replaced gyms with trials, which are gyms but with wild pokemon and no puzzles.
>>
>>32814250
>they're literally just gyms except they're completely different
>>
Ugly starters, uglier graphics compared to gen 4. I still love it for what it is.
>>
>>32814217
Are you really comparing the influence of hgss (if it even had any at all) to that of pokémon go? Were you in a coma for all of 2016?
>>
>>32814217
retard
>>
>>32814291
Were you not around during HG/SS's release? The whole "genwunner" thing was at one of its worst moments ever, with all the people coming back to the series. I know Go was a huge fad for a little while, but it's not like BW/2 didn't have its own advantages in much more people owning a NDS than people who own a 3DS, and also coming out right after a resurgence of attention to the franchise after remakes of two of the games that came out right around the time the first was of Pokemania was at its peak were released.
>>
>>32814294
>Oh no I have literally no counterargument and , what do I do now?
>>
File: 1472685227591.png (91KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1472685227591.png
91KB, 400x398px
>>32814209
Sure buddy
>>
>>32814217
XY sold more too, before Go was a thing.
Gen 4 sold more? They make up an excuse.
Gen 6 sold more? Here's another excuse.
Gen 7 sold more? Here's yet another.
They can't stop pulling shit out of their asses.
They'll blame literally everything else except gen 5 so they can be the only ones to act like gen 5 was some sort of peak when it came to anything.
>>
File: 1486249569469.png (591KB, 853x718px) Image search: [Google]
1486249569469.png
591KB, 853x718px
>>32814316
Says the retard who spouts correlative bullshit that bears no actual connection other than coincidence or is just completely unrelated like the pointless hipster shpeal you were going on about , but sure act like you know everything about the ins and outs about why certain games sold more than others even though its obvious you just have a contrarian hate boner for gen V.
>>
>>32814343
Hipsters of the pokemon fanbase defending their contrarian game of choice. If Gen V was as popular as some of the others, they'd be defending a different one. It's how these people operate.
>>
File: 1496971008051.jpg (61KB, 260x273px) Image search: [Google]
1496971008051.jpg
61KB, 260x273px
>>32814354
But you do know everything right???
>>
>>32814354
>contrarian hate boner for gen V

First off, stop being so goddamned upset over what boils down to a pokemon game sales figure discussion. Second, Gen V is objectively the least-popular generation based on this very metric. Its supporters are the contrarians.
>>
>>32813534

lots of reasons, including but not limited to:

gen V produced a lot of shit tier designs for the same reason that gen I did: they had to make 150 pokemon, which is still the most they've ever added in a generation.

I remember in DPPt a lot of the enfranchised kids who grew up playing the games since the start dropped the series because of staleness, and didn't hop on board for gen V. Gen VI brought that crowd back with huge pandering to gen I. Consumer confidence in the pokemon franchise was pretty low after DPPt iirc, and it's why they did Black and White like they did. I feel like a lot of people forgot the general sentiment w.r.t. Pokemon after gen IV

A lot of people disliked BW2 at the start for the same reason everyone was shitting on USM during the announcements, in that the expected 3rd version of the game was being released as 2. (Yes I know it's a sequel and not a 3rd version, but that concept was alien to fans at the time).
>>
File: pikachu.jpg (14KB, 407x286px) Image search: [Google]
pikachu.jpg
14KB, 407x286px
>its another gen 5 hate thread
>>
is it possible for /vp/ to have one discussion without shitposters shitflinging nonsense at each other
>>
>>32814383
Those market predictions are silly, though I'm sad that my favorite gen sold the least.

It shows that what the players want is the opposite of what I personally want.
>>
File: 1486085108081.png (9KB, 88x90px) Image search: [Google]
1486085108081.png
9KB, 88x90px
>>32814383
>>32814381
I read the thread and I can tell you that this time the defenders started it
>>
File: Mei sad.png (5KB, 40x40px) Image search: [Google]
Mei sad.png
5KB, 40x40px
What if I didn't like the first BW but liked the sequels?
>>
>>32814158
There is no 4DS or anything like that yet and 3DS piracy is hard.
>>
>>32813921
No they are not. Actually it's the opposite.
>>
>>32814656
3DS piracy is actually really easy, like PSP-tier right now. And the Switch is very obviously the 3DS' successor.
>>
>>32814787
Not easy as paying $5. Also it doesn't work on the lastest version yet and that ban risk tho. And no, the Switch is not the 3DS successor, that shit is not even portable, it's just another gimmick Nintendo console, actually it's exactly what the Wii U should have been. I don't know Gamefreak plans with the Switch but Nintendo already made it clear it's not a replacement for the 3DS.
>>
>>32814840
What are you talking about? 3DS piracy works on the latest versions, easy as fuck, and there's ways to unban yourself, and ways to avoid getting banned in the first place. Also, as for the successor shit, Nintendo always says "we'll still be supporting the previous handheld/console" just incase the next one fails, but if it succeeds, they drop the previous one immediately.
>>
Unova Dex, sorted into Good/Average/Bad designs

Good
Victini
Excadrill
Gigalith
Scolipede
Liligant
Whimsicott
Krookodile
Darmanitan
Crustle
Scrafty
Cofagirus
Carracosta
Archeops
Reuniclus
Sawsbuck
Escavlier
Accelegor
Amoongus
Jellicent
Ferrothorn
Galvantula
Chandelure
Haxorus
Mienshao
Golurk
Bisharp
Braviary
Mandibuzz
Volcarona
Terrakion
Reshiram
Zekrom

Average
Serperior
Watchog
Liepard
Stoutland
Mushranna
Swoobat
Audino
Seismotoad
Levanny
Garbadour
Zorark
Chincino
Gothiltelle
Emolga
Eelektross
Beheeym
Beartic
Druddigon
Boffulant
Hydreigon
Colbion
Virizion
Kyurem
Genesect

Bad
Emboar
Samurott
Simisage
Simisear
Simipour
Unfezant
Zebristka
Conkeldurr
Throh
Sawk
Basculin
Maractus
Swanna
Vanilluxe
Klingklang
Cryongnal
Stunfisk
Heatmor
Durant
Thunderus
Tornatus
Landorus
Keldeo
Melloeta

The problem with Gen 5 is that it's real easy to get a bad first impression with it, either by playing through the game where the majority of early game Pokemon are either mediocre or bad or playing competitively where all the Legendaries that were popular and good in this generation were ugly as sin. You only get to see alot more good designs once you reach the desert, but before then there are only a few gems. So people can easily have a bad first impression. Gamefreak should have never felt obligated to also fill "niches" like the Machop/Geodude/Zubat lines so hard and so often this gen because all it did was force comparison.
>>
>>32813534
>sold terribly
>each of these pairs sold millions of copies
>>sold terribly
>>
>>32814922
>easy as fuck
>requires either hardmod or another hacked console and some eshop titles that have already been pulled out
As I said, not easy as $5. And for the ban thing, no one knows what exactly causes it, and you should know that the unban process needs another 3DS as a donor, so it's not a unlimited resource. And the chances of getting banned again is even bigger with tons of people using the same seed.

Again, Nintendo haven't marketed it as a 3DS successor like they did with the DS and the Gameboys, they just released it as a regular console that you can bring out of your home.
>>
File: 1450717355632.png (192KB, 501x445px) Image search: [Google]
1450717355632.png
192KB, 501x445px
>>32814966
>zebstrika
>conkeldurr
>maractus
>swanna
>durant
>meloetta
>bad
>>
>>32814966
That's some shit taste
>>
>>32814986
>Rapidash but a Zebra
>Clown Machamp
>Shittier Cacturne
>My Moms Swan
>An ant in lead paint
>Waifu bait
>>
>>32813557
true, It also sold 80 millions more than the 3ds, so argument invalid
>>
>>32813534
The fanbase is fucking scared of change, that's the problem.

4 generations of the exact same shit, they tried something SLIGHTLY different for once and a lot of people rejected it. Also the fact that nothing old showed up in the campaign pissed off a lot of nostalgiafags.
>>
>>32815157
the only diffference is the plot, wich give cringe by the way
>>
>>32815157
S/M tried something different and got a lot of praise for it. Outside of this place, of course. People were gushing over how the "stale" pokemon formula was mixed up a bit. A friend of mine got back into pokemon solely because of this; he dropped it after Gen IV because it was "getting boring".
>>
Because no genwun pandering
>>
>>32813534
They didn't promote it enough. I remember the commercials for hgss advertising the little watch thing, but I can't recall any commercials for gen 5.
>>
>bad games sold rerribly
how is this bad?
>>
File: 1486309195693.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486309195693.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>32813534
For me it was series fatigue. I played through Black and enjoyed it but had mixed feelings on the "2" games being announced. For some dumbass reason, I thought sequels were milking the generation more than a third version like what was the norm up till now. Decided to pass on B2W2 and just wait for the 3DS gen to start.

After I went back and picked up White 2 years later, I realized how wrong I was and B2W2 shot up to my second favorite entries due to their polish, presentation, and excellent regional dex.
>>
>>32815268
His opinion has 0 value if he didn't play gen 5
>>
>>32813738

I honestly think that gen 5 design looks like the one of UB's
>>
literally how much they are spending on the actual games?
>>
File: 1486219233648.png (179KB, 748x641px) Image search: [Google]
1486219233648.png
179KB, 748x641px
>tfw gf tries something new and it fails
>tfw MUH GENWUN and MUH GRENIGGER pandering for the next 500 generations
>>
>>32814158
>>32814204
>is a "newfag uses the tastes of normalfags to validate his argument" episode
Every time.
>>
File: 1495704817434.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495704817434.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>remember freaking out and loving the idea that Black/White was only the Pokemon they added for that gen, making the adventure feel a little special
>all my friends hated it because they wanted to catch older Pokemon
>>
>>32813534
Competing with the 3DS being out. It's the same as what happened to Kirby's Dreamland 3.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.