[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo is very much emphasizing player freedom and openness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

Nintendo is very much emphasizing player freedom and openness in Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, their two biggest franchises besides Pokémon. Will Game Freak learn from them and go back to making minimal narratives and (relatively, by Pokémon standards) open regions like Johto?
>>
>>32811099
I fucking hope so.

The narrative in Pokemon is awful, and always will be awful. The less there is, the better. I dont know why "story" is even seen as a mandatory thing in video games, when it more often than not clashes with the medium.

More importantly, I hope that they actually innovate and expand the franchise. The level of what we have now is more or less on par with what RBY and GSC was. That shit was fine decades ago, limited to just the Gameboy, but its 2017 now, shit needs to actually move on and improve. The series is stale. The main game is just an impediment. If it wasn't for the collecting and competing aspect, there'd be no reason to buy these games any longer.

This isn't just a SM thing either, its been like this for generations now. 4th gen was where it should've started taking a look at itself instead of rehashing the same shit over and over.
>>
>>32811099
is he jerking off an invisible dick?
>>
>>32811099
as if jotho was not linear. if they go "back" it will be the first time
>>
Your not kids anymore. That's why your not enjoying Pokemon like you did 15-17 years ago.
>>
>>32811151
i'm pretty sure kids these days don't enjoy pokémon as we did back then
not the slightest
>>
No, you'll get even more of a hallway simulator and cinematic 5fps after they remodel all the Pokemon
>>
>>32811151
That line of argument is such bullshit.

I can go back and enjoy the old Pokemon to a similar degree.
A game like Mario 64 which I played around the same time I enjoy just as much as I did with a kid. Similarly, I enjoy almost every Mario game more or less the same, even newer ones. On top of that, never played Mario 3 as a kid, but I loved it as an adult.
>>
>>32811099

>Mario: Platformer
>Zelda: Adventure game
>Pokemon: JRPG

You're comparing three completely different types of games
>>
>>32811159
Well there isn't smart phones and shit. Kids these days have short attention spans.

Who knows if they enjoying pokemon.Like we did
>>
>>32811193
>I can go back and enjoy the old Pokemon to a similar degree.
Nostalgia goes a long way. While Mario 64 is still a good game, the older pokemon games have aged horribly.
>>
>>32811099
Nintendo holds the most power over Pokemon, but still not enough to course correct on what Creatures and GamFreak want. At this point something as simple as multiple save files is completely out of the question. It's always difficult to tell what feedback Nintendo is listening to until they actually do something responding to it. Zelda had no reason to unfuck its shit because Skyward Sword was still a huge hit critically and commercially, but they did it anyway.

With Nintendo, they need both the fan outcry to reach them and developers who want to try something new. Though 3D Mario was getting more linear, and 3D Zelda more rigid and hand-holding, you can't say the developers behind either franchise were ever unwilling to get inventive or try new things. Pokemon on the other hand shows no signs of having devs like that, and in fact shows that the developers are barely competent, producing content that would be considered mediocre if not for the brand. All the while, sales remain strong.
>>
>>32811139
seek professional help
>>
>>32811130
Thank god someone else here has some sense. Its been the same fucking games with embarassing amounts of "improvements". In any other series the jump from gen 3 to gen 6 would be the expected amount of effort put into ONE sequel.
>>
>>32811209
If nostalgia was the only factor, then I shouldn't be enjoying older games that I've only played for the first time. I've gone back and to collect old N64 games that I've never played, the generation that has notoriously aged the hardest of modern games, and have enjoyed them. Mystical Ninja Goemon, Megaman 64, Bomberman 64. You can't just throw "nostalgia" as a blanket cover up for any dissenting argument.

>older pokemon games have aged horribly

In what way? The controls still function exactly the same in modern pokemon games as they did then. The battle system is still nearly identical, minus simple balance changes. The core of what it was is still the same.
>>
>>32811209
Shit man I played morrowind last year for the first time and loved it.
>>
>>32811196
he probably can't tell
>>
>>32811159
>Sun and Moon has sold 15.44+ million copies
>Anime is one of Disney's most popular shows
>"Kids these days don't enjoy Pokemon :) haha I just arbitrarily decided it"
>>
>>32811272
Yeah they don't really
>>
>>32811253
>In any other series the jump from gen 3 to gen 6 would be the expected amount of effort put into ONE sequel.

Yeah, no kidding. The "jump" to 3D was more like a slow, monotonous crawl, where it had to go through 3 generations of ugly just to get to SM, where its still only subpar. Worst yet, they didn't allow the transition to even affect the explorative factor. The game is still just hallways, but even more restricted since you dont even have a choice of where to go like you did in RBY. And its not like RBY was ground breakingly open either. Theyre lucky that they have a relatively solid foundation in their battle system. Its strategy dependent, so it has inherent value.

It's frustrating too, given that the series is bursting at the seams with potential. It's not like I'm asking for the ultimate game either, just to modernize its ass.
>>
People take this franchise way too seriously
>>
>>32811328
No, the developers don't take it seriously enough.
>>
>>32811196
The fucks that got to do with anything?

"Player freedom" isn't a concept bound by genre. That's like complaining about comparing apples and oranges, when you're talking about gravity. There's nothing saying that "JRPG" has to be linear and stagnant.
>>
>>32811340
People buy games they dislike. Game freak gives out all the infomation before hand. You buy the games still even you dislike itu
>>
>>32811099
Technically, Mario areas still broken into sections and you can probably land your ship on checkpoint flags.
>>
>>32811344
But JRPGs are by nature linear and stagnant a majority of the time.

It's kind of their worldwide known problem.
>>
>>32811394
JRPG main issue comes with enemy exponential hp growth to fake difficulty, some actually have decent pacing when divided in arcs
>>
>>32811388
You're right, it does still does have focus. It's not as open as BotW, but it still gives more player freedom and less linearity than Galaxy for instance.

I dont think Pokemon needs to necessarily go balls to the wall like BotW did, but itd be nice to actually feel like I'm exploring and searching on my own terms. I want to poke around without knowing exactly whats in front of me, and maybe wander off too far and get my ass kicked sometimes. Stuff like thats way more engaging.

>>32811394
JRPGs are guilty of that, thats for fuckin' sure. But its not a necessary part of the formula to BE a successful RPG.
>>
>>32811099
>minimal narratives
Fuck no, the story of each game is the one thing that makes Pokémon good enough to warrant semi-annual releases. If we just had a quick mission and then nothing but competitive they may as well only release 1 Pokémon game per console. I would much rather have them write bigger, more intricate stories and pace them out the way Breath of the Wild did.

>open regions
Yes please. A region where you can take on the Gym Leaders in any order by region layout and where their teams are scaled in difficulty based on your number of badges. Sun and Moon has a region layout with such potential, but alas all we got was one long cutscene leading us from Trial to Trial with little to no exploration in-between.
>>
I don't know why people are so disgusted by the idea of a story.

Instead of taking it out they should actually make it better. Like a proper adventure RPG.
>>
>>32811482
>Fuck no, the story of each game is the one thing that makes Pokémon good enough to warrant semi-annual releases
No it's not. Level design and map exploration is. Something like Tin Tower or Shoal Cave is worth a million times more than a cutscene and dialogue.
>>
>>32811250
it was joke.
>>
Problems with these arguments:

If it were "go anywhere the fuck you want" like >>32811482 proposes then how would the levels of wild pokemon possibly be scaled, and don't say "based on how many badges" because that's never happened before and I see no reason to get rid of lower level pokemon

Also, you all forget that these games' primary demographic is children around 9 or 10, with kids much younger than that playing as well. It would be really easy for a kid to get stuck or keep getting beat and give up. I'm not saying things have to be super linear, but some form of guidance or mild "railroading" for lack of a better term is definitely necessary
>>
File: IMG_1509.jpg (75KB, 625x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1509.jpg
75KB, 625x427px
Any body against a more open world for Pokemon is fucking retarded and their opinion should be discarded immediately. The game is about adventure, about being free to explore and catch new Pokemon while breeding/vgc comes after.

If you think that "evil team manipulates box legend while you get plied with cut scenes" is fun, you are the cancer killing Pokemon.
>>
>>32811482
>Fuck no, the story of each game is the one thing that makes Pokémon good enough to warrant semi-annual releases.

But the stories are absolute dog shit. Fucking ass like one piece and naruto are better than the hyper generic, hyper predictable, hollow, elementary-grade-school-tier that the pokemon stories are.

>>32811500
If they could, then sure, but they've never done anything even close to a good story. The lore is relatively interesting, but that "find and discover bits about the world" type deal is a whole different type of story telling. One thats far more interesting, engaging, and personable than what has effectively been an intrusive, on-wheels saturday morning cartoon styled theme park ride with no player input whatsoever.

I get that there's different taste. I'm cool with that normally. It's the sort of thing thats the difference between liking one pokemon or the other. But then there's just straight up liking trash. Absolute trash. The stories are horrible. You must be aware of that to some degree.
>>
File: 1496869916771.jpg (41KB, 487x435px) Image search: [Google]
1496869916771.jpg
41KB, 487x435px
>>32811099
>Will Game Freak learn

You already know the answer.
>>
>>32811151
>Your not kids anymore
I don't agree with this argument. I was a kid during Pokemania, but never played the main series games til 2 years ago. I went through all the generations sans Gen 2 (unless you count HGSS for experience), and I had so much fun.
Even if Sinnoh is my least favorite, it was still enjoyable. I loved seeing the progression from one gen to the next.

But, Kalos was not enjoyable; fuck those friendly rivals and the cutesy, happy feels going around. ORAS I liked, because I first started with Hoenn so it means more to me, but I'll agree, it wasn't a great remake. It was merely Gen 3 with updated mechanics and looks.
Alola was not fun. It was bland and empty. I hated that NPCs were the main focus, while you, the player, were simply on the side; unlike in the past, when the game was focused on you and your actions as the player.

tl;dr: The "you're not a kid" argument doesn't hold water. Something changed between Gens 5 and 6.
>>
>>32813971
So gen 5 has a pets story line with N

Gen 6 has a story about a secert weapon. A 3000 old man. War machine.

The gen 6 story is much more elaborate and risky than gen 5.

Maybe you like sprites more than 3d. Game freak had to enter the 21st century soon enough
>>
>>32812218
I have to agree with ya on lore and world-building versus actual story/narrative. Lore is optional information for the player to digest at their own leisure and interpret what they think it might mean, or ignore if it doesn't interest them and they continue to play.

Story/narrative being forced on the player is either going to interest them or turn them away. There's no middle-ground like there is with lore.
>>
>>32814014
I liked Gen 5's story, but hated Gen 6's even though the latter's concept is way more intriguing. I don't know, I feel like Kalos' story lacked any impact. Hell, I didn't even pick up on the dual theme til about the climax.
>>
>>32814014
The story in Gen 6 was more elaborate on paper, but in execution it was rather underwhelming. Part of what made it not as good was that a lot of the characters either didn't get enough screentime or are pitifully underdeveloped. If Lysandre or AZ or whoever was developed a little more, I would care more about the story. At least with N, you get to see him grow throughout the entire game and even understand why his motives are the way they are.
>>
>>32811099
Odyssey is not open. They are just different worlds like in all previous mario games.
>>
>>32814078
They did the similer thing with lillie in sun and moon. In the beginning to the end. People that.

Game freak making stories than just a mafia, a team that wants to flood the world and have pure lane. Or a meta story.

People just want a simple story and then bitch that game freak has little creativity
>>
>>32814061
Lyscasnde and team flare appear very early on.

X and y has good lore
>>
Is it possible that Pokemon Switch could have Pokemon physically roaming the overworld? I don't mind the grass mechanic but I would like to see something similar to how Pokepark Wii for example handled it.
>>
Thank god I read your post until the end. I was thinking you would start some stupid threads like POKÉMON NEEDS A MMO OPEN WORLD and bullshit like that.
>>
>>32814114
Yeah, but they mean nothing to me as the player other than "obvious bad guy is bad and in charge of this evil team". I know BW's was like that too, but N could hold his own. Plasma weren't evil for the sake of being evil; you saw members who genuinely thought they were doing good for the world, or were confused by the mixed messages they got from N and Ghetsis. Some questioned their allegiance.

I don't recall seeing that in XY. Just a bunch of fashion freaks.
>>
>>32811099
I wouldn't trust gamefreak, one of the most incompetent developers in the industry, to Handel making a fully open world game. It would end up being an empty half baked potato of a game.

Plus, what's the return of investment worth when they can just shit out the same formula and make a shit tonne of cash with no effort?
>>
>>32811896
There can always be an activation/deactivation mechanic for the badges.
>>
>>32811099
GameFreak probably won't make Pokemon more open. SM has shown us that GameFreak doesn't trust their players or their own team to make a non-linear game that players can navigate without being bored or lost. The flag system for your map and saying which moves will be effective to which Pokemon just empathize this since it shows how little faith they have with conveying their own Gameplay mechanics.
>>
Jesus you fucks are ignorant.

You don't need to minimize story to emphasize exploration.
>>
>>32814625
You don't need to, but you should.
>>
I don't really want a Johto system unless they implement a way for certain routes to have increased levels depending on which order you take them. Designing Johto so you can do some of the gyms in optional order crippled the leveling curve, if they can design it so, say, this trainer uses level 15s if you have 1 badge, but 25 if you have 3, it could be workable.

Further, I am concerned about Gamefreak's competence, I'm sure the games as they are already have a large budget behind them, so I fear what the budget would look like to get them to not make it terrible.

Though I suppose if the open world fad is still in place when it releases, they could be the worst games in the series and still be praised simply for being openworld.
>>
>>32814625
Yeah sure. Super Metroid had tons of exploration without cutting into the narrative, but it's hard to tell that many stories when you can wonder off and ruin the pace.
>>
>>32811099
No. Gamefreak can't do anything right
>>
>>32811099
No. That takes too much effort, and GF is lazy as fuck.
>>
File: 1483818500117.png (169KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1483818500117.png
169KB, 600x900px
>>32811130
This is why Gen 4 is such trash, it started this bad trend, granted, Ghetsis and Guzma are hella fun ideas for villains- or in Guzma's case, a delightful buffoon- that could've been more fun in a differnet series. Colosseum and GoD had fun ideas and did the narrative idea good, not great, but good enough that you can sell the game on it, but it wasn't as in your face or trying hard like gen 4 and on.
I will admit, I liked the SuMo's story simply based on the fact that it reminded me of the GCN titles in small ways.
>>
>>32814925
consider committing auto suicide by your own hands
>>
>>32815014
What part didn't you like?
>>
>>32815558
He's probably talking about the >SuMo part
>>
>>32811179
They aren't remodeling any Pokémon
>>
I have a feeling that pokemon on the Switch will just use higher-res versions of the 3DS game assets. that'll be the only big change. Shouldn't tax the switch hardware at all. And yet, I bet you they'll still find a way to have the game lag like crazy.
>>
>>32815703
Optimization with new devices was never the strongest asset of GF.
>>
>>32814014
>Maybe you like sprites more than 3d. Game freak had to enter the 21st century soon enough
Check disgaea games, the game is in 3d, but characters are sprite-based. I think something like that could work in pokémon.
>>
>>32811394
>But JRPGs are by nature linear and stagnant a majority of the time.
>I've only played FF: the post
>>
>>32814014
>The gen 6 story is much more elaborate and risky than gen 5.
Uh no.
There's a big difference between grandiose and elaborate. Gen 6 has one of the most simple stories to date after all.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.