[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't be the only one who misses pixelated sprites. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

I can't be the only one who misses pixelated sprites. I dunno. Just my preference. How do you guys feel about it?
>>
>>32770588
I like both honestly.

Some Pokemon got shafted in 3D though.
>>
Gen 5 sprites were GOAT. They should have used them for a few more gens.
>>
Gen 4 had better sprites though. The stretching & tweening in Gen 5 looked horrendous, save for a few mons that had multiple frames.
>>
i miss crystal's sprites/movement
>>
You're not alone, OP
>>
HGSS had some of the best sprites
>>
>>32770613
Agree
>>
I want to go back and play some of the older games, but I can't because I like too many of the newer Pokemon. Shit.
>>
I wish I were talented enough to make sprites for the newer Pokemon for the older games. Shit, I'd pay someone cash money to make gen 5 style sprites for about a half a dozen Pokemon if I knew they'd turn out good.
>>
>>32770588
i hate 3d
the colors all look terrible and washed out
the models will never change
>>
>>32770782
Colors are because of the 3DS and its resolution. Citra fixes the color problem pretty well. The models will always be shit though, but new pokemon will look good. Haxorus was fucked hard.
>>
>>32770812
Is that the 3ds emulator? Is it working yet? Can I play sun/moon on my PC??
>>
>>32770825
Yeah it works pretty well. Still can't play Super Mystery Dungeon though.
>>
>>32770840
Do I need a super high end comp to play? My shots old, like 5+ years.
>>
>>32770812
>Citra fixes the color problem pretty well
Do you have any comparison for this?
>>
File: 1493842186561.jpg (88KB, 766x807px) Image search: [Google]
1493842186561.jpg
88KB, 766x807px
The more 3D pokemon games become, the more boring and crappier they seem to get.
>>
>>32770588
Sprites were fine when they barely moved. Gen 5's constantly moving sprites were fucking god-awful and I'm glad they switched to models.
>>
>>32770843
Maybe, it ran fine with my 750 ti.
>>32770845
Nope, but you can just check for yourself. It is a lot better because it's not limited by the washed out resolution of the 3DS.
>>
>>32770880
I tried looking it up, but found nothing that shows the colours being any different.
>>
Some sprites looked great.

Some models look great.

I think the series needed to evolve to something new. I hope, after we close the book on Gen 7, we can get some new, polished models for Gen 8. I hate to use Pokemon Go as an example but those models look fine.
>>
>>32770588
>i can't be the only one
yes you're literally the only one out of billions of people who prefer X thing instead of Y, expecially considering the Pokemon community is so small
>>
yeah i sure hope they bring back sprites for the switch game!
>>
>>32770862
I like them moving, but I think the gen 5 sprites could have been brushed up a little. If seen fan mad sprite gifs that are exponentially better than what Nintendo gave us.
>>
>>32770588
I don't hate the 3D models but I will always prefer Sprites over them, with the exception if Gen 5's.

Some 3D models i can't forgive though, how could they do that to typhlosion?
>>
File: toe tappin.gif (3MB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
toe tappin.gif
3MB, 330x330px
With 2D static pictures, you can really get across a certain emotion, feeling or attitude from a Pokemon. Lots of them used this very well, and it made the fights feel very alive despite not much happening.

Gen 5's sprites were uncanny in that they tried to replicate movement in the most robotic, clunky and awkward looking ways possible. For a Pokemon that was destroyed from the movement from 4 to 5, look no further than Mantine.

Current gen 3D models are absolutely horrendous. Washed out colour palettes on boring idle poses that lock back into mindless standing in between animations like some kind of cheap construction machine. Some Pokemon were also almost certainly never meant to be viewed in 3 dimensions, as their designs turn from alright to utter garbage at the wrong angle.

At least Stadium-XD models attempted to animate Pokemon doing anything other than lunging or standing still.

HG/SS sprites were the pinnacle of Pokemon.
>>
>>32770915
>I think the series needed to evolve to something new.
Yeah I agree.
Realistically, considering Pokken runs on the Switch really well and at 60FPS, I see no excuse as to why a mainline Pokemon game with turn based battles should look significantly worse. Maybe not exactly as good due to the number of models, but at least let us see a good attempt.
>>
>>32770955
>>32770966
>>32770999
Dubdubtrips, nice combo.

I don't necessarily hate 3d models. I think the models are a lot more 'expressive' than sprites were. But, to me, the feel changed when the games went from 2d to 3d. I can't explain it, just, the nostolgia feels gone now. Does that make sense?
>>
It just makes me sad that we wont ever get new poses and movement with models and will be stuck with the same lifeless poses till they need to make new models
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.