[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Gamefreak insist on shoehorning a story and silly gimmicks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1496804148510.jpg (32KB, 452x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496804148510.jpg
32KB, 452x600px
Why does Gamefreak insist on shoehorning a story and silly gimmicks into the main Pokemon games? You'd think that the premise is compelling enough, and that you could just build upon it instead of adding tons of unnecessary dialogue and silliness.

Is it somehow more difficult for them to make a game that's straightforward and sincere, where you just go from town to town collecting monsters and leveling instead of fighting "Villain Teams" and "Rescuing so-and-so from this-and-that"?

Are there people out there that actually care about a "story" in their Pokemon games? It seems like it would be a much better experience if they focused on expanding the core features of the series, rather than just rehashing the same tropes with more and more exposition each time, and coming up with some silly gimmick to tag on each time.
>>
>>32714179
Puffy
>>
Me.

I'm sorry, but after X and Y, I'd generally like SOMETHING in my games. Plus lore's pretty cool.
>>
>>32714225
Can you explain further? I'm curious to hear more on this perspective. While I don't like the stories in the games, it's obvious that someone out there does.

To me, the recent Pokemon games feel sort've reminiscent of the side games for GameCube. I mean, they're obviously more involved than that, but the amount of story and the levels of craziness they're willing to go to feel like a side game moreso than a main game...

I mean "Ultra Beasts", "Z-Moves", and "Mega Evolutions"? Don't get me wrong, I like some of these additions, but where are they going to stop?
>>
File: 1478742842339.png (315KB, 487x361px) Image search: [Google]
1478742842339.png
315KB, 487x361px
>>32714179
it's crazy to think I thought gen 4 having the Pokemon equivalent of god was crazy at one point. Now with all this ultra dimension alternate universe shit it's actually pretty tame.

I'm all in for more lore but shit's getting ridiculous.
>>
>>32714330
I agree. I remember thinking they jumped the shark with Gen 4.

Now I look back and kind of wish they would have stuck with that sort've tone.

I just wish Pokemon Tournaments and scheduled events were a thing in-game.
>>
>>32714179
No one cares about gameplay anymore, it's all about having some shitty story.
>>
Why do you think the barebones concept of catch this fight this would still be interesting?
>>
>>32714309
Basically, If they're going to try to tell a story, don't half ass it. I'm not playing a pokemon game for some Xeno-teir storytelling where in the end we kill god, but it's clear that at this point they WANT to tell stories. That's fine, I see no problem with it. But... just try.

Ultimately, when it comes down to it, X and Y are the worst. It's characters are bare bones with about everything. Teirno is a fat kid who wants to dance. Shauna wants to make memories and is good at puzzles and maybe wants to fuck you. Lysandre is this descendant of this immortal king and wants to destroy a good portion of humanity. Their personalities are bland and boring and I can't bring myself to care about them using just this game.

Sun and Moon went the opposite route. There's a reason that a character is the way they are. The story has a general theme of family, relating to the Aether foundation's, Team Skull's, even Hau and his Grandfather. It takes a look at the idea of an abusive relationship with one's parents. Not the fullest extant that it could, but it looks at it. The characters are genuinely enjoyable. Guzma and the rest of team Skull are hilarious and quite sad when you get down to them. Hau was enjoyable, and ultimately has something to live up to, with his granddad, the Kahuna. Kukui's a pretty good professor, helping you along the way, but letting it be your experience. Even prior games, ORAS had much more story to them then both X and Y and the originals.

I don't pay pokemon games for the story, but since they want to do them,I'm not going to tell them not to. I'm just going to tell them to do it alright. I don't need it to be amazing, but don't shove characters in my face if you're not going to try and make me care about them.
>>
>>32714179
>Why does Gamefreak insist on shoehorning a story and silly gimmicks into the main Pokemon games?
Ohmori
>>
>>32714179
If there wasn't any "Story" it would literally be the same game over and over with minor changes. It's the exact reason why I couldn't be bothered with New Super Mario Bros.
>>
>You'd think that the premise is compelling enough
you'd think that but you'd be wrong

pokemon games need more story, not less. what they have is barebones
>>
>>32714179
>Are there people out there that actually care about a "story" in their Pokemon games?
Yes.

If you think the people only care about the premise of catching fighting with monsters, you're mistaken. The premise was new in 1996, when no other game let you choose from 151 playable character with customizable moves. It isn't anymore. It's just another RPG now.

Tell me, why do you think the Pokemon anime or manga matters? They're pretty fucking shit, especially the anime, so why does people give a shit about them? Because they bring the world to life. And that's what a story can do to games. They can bring the world to life. They have been focusing on this recently. I realize this is a really unpopular opinion on /vp/, but SM were the games that felt like an adventure in Pokemon world, rather than an endless cycle of battles. And I enjoyed that.
>>
>>32715078

I completely agree. It's part of why I like Gen 5 and SM more than XY. XY should have either gone further with the story, or not bothered at all. You can't have it both ways.

Sun and Moon needed to tone down the cutscenes, but I don't mind the story at all. It's not phenomenal, but I liked it.
>>
>>32715540
The problem with XY wasn't that the story didn't go far enough. It did. It was also far more consistent and made more sense than anything before. It just wasn't interesting. Gen 5, particularly BW's story was full of inconsistencies and made very little in anything, even the premise was flawed, but it was interesting. Despite the flaws, it had a tone it picked and stuck with that. It is inherently more interesting to fight for freedom and your beliefs, even if your freedom and belief weren't in any danger to begin with, than it is to fight for the generic reason of saving the world from a big bad.

XY's story wasn't interesting enough, wasn't serious enough, and wasn't goofy enough. It was just there, accomplishing nothing.
>>
>>32714179

Honestly, the story is the only way I can become invested in the game. It would be the same game again and again without a unique story.

The main reason I play Pokemon games is because I love Pokemon and its world. Traveling a region with the team you raise from scratch and experiencing its story for the first time are the most enjoyable parts of the games for me. It may sound autistic, but I've been playing these games since like 1999 and this always has been the part I've enjoyed the most. If anything, I think the story part has been too lacking as of late, with boring, irrelevant characters and very little story buildup until you get to the main event, usually involving some form of mass destruction, which you stop and then nothing ever happens again. XY is the most guilty of this.

There's nothing compelling about the premise alone anymore imo. You can probably find like a thousand games like Pokemon on an app store. Catching gets repetitive. Competitive battling, while fun, isn't very complex nor groundbreaking. If it didn't have the name "Pokemon" slapped on it I doubt we would be getting all those streamed tournaments etc. I suppose your point is that they could focus on that aspect of the games, but I think many people play Pokemon because it's Pokemon and not just because they want a monster battle simulator.

I do agree that there's too much silliness sometimes - like in Alola, almost every NPC you meet is an exceptionally happy and good person ready to pass on some cotton candy wisdom to your character, which gets pretty annoying sometimes. It's like they're high all the time. A bit weird.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.