[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else fear it's straight down for the next few generations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: kinds of generations.png (527KB, 700x791px) Image search: [Google]
kinds of generations.png
527KB, 700x791px
Anyone else fear it's straight down for the next few generations?

Which part of the spectrum is the most exciting or has potential for the comfiest future game?

Also, it's kind of weird we haven't seen much around the center... I always thought the games would be going closer and closer to it rather than jumping further to the extremes.
>>
they should have just kept alternating closer to the middle
>>
>>32675874
>soft reboot
>true reboot
Neither is a reboot in any way, shape or form. At most, you had rse not letting you transfer gen 2 mons but even then the old mons were there.

And i'd put dp on the left. As for your question, I fear we are gettinf new gens with low new mon count and tons of pandering, yeah.
>>
>>32675874
GF is completely schizo and inconsistent. WHile most franchises eventually fall into a groove where they know what they want to do at a basic level, GF keeps jumping between ideologies. It's like a less severe version of the Sonic Franchise that survives because brand loyalty and a base formula that's harder to mess up
>>
I just want a pokemon game where they don't fucking remove features, for once.

Giving each game its own unique personality my ass, stop fucking removing shit without good reason. If you REALLY care about it then give the same concept a new spin in each game instead of removing it entirely.
>>
>>32676027
DP does just what RS did, but more. BW went back and started over with "only new Pokémon, only new characters, only new features", which is why many sees it as a "soft reboot". It is not a true reboot though, that is fully correct.

I see DP as being RS v2 (though not as much as GS is literally RG v2). I see BW as being a sort of DP alternate form with a higher BST.
>>
>>32675874
>BW is more refreshing than literally the first games when they came out
Unovabortions need to be fucking banned from this site and the internet
>>
>>32676027

I'd gladly take a more fitting word over reboot if you have any in mind.

Basically the generations on the left side come with a lot of new pokemon that are common (makes you actually feel like you've entered a fresh fauna), whereas those on the right have fewer new mons, most of them being exotic and uncommon (with the common slots being filled with tons of old pkmn).

RG/RS/BW all manage to feel like you're somewhere fresh, with new pokemon being the norm. Their distance from the center is based on how extreme this is. BW is the extreme, having 100% new pkmn, re-inventing even the common pests, while RS still relies partially on old pkmn to fill some of the common roles and not feel too alien.

DP also gets close to the middle, but it's focus on cross-gen evolutions and over-the-top legendaries puts it to the right in how I thought of this.. might be missing some additional keywords on both sides to make it more clear what this is about.
>>
>>32675874
>BW innovate
>XY, SM nostalgia
Nice bait
You won, I'm triggered
>>
>>32676165
But he/she's right. Unless you are truly, seriously, unironically thinking XY and SM are innovative because 3D and they changed the name of gyms in SM
>>
>>32676165

I forgot to specify that this isn't as much about the region and plot, but very much about the pokemon themselves that were introduced in each generation.
>>
>>32675874
>left side says "fresh start, radical, standalone, traditional, basic"
>SM isn't on that side
Put it on the middle at least. The only "nostalgia" and "fanservice" was the alolan forms being all gen 1 garbage, but even those were mostly pokemon nobody gave a shit about.
>>
>>32676185
BW isn't innovative at all. It's borderline Gen 4 if it didn't have new Pokemon. And how can it be more innovative than the games that created the franchise itself.
>>
>>32676105
>we will never have a game that has both an updated Contest Spectacular, 3D Pokéathlon mixed with Super Training and Hyper Training, new PWT, a Super Battle Froniter with all Gen 3-7 facilities, Trainer Hill, Black Tower & White Treehollow, an Underground equivalent, Super Secret Bases return, Pokéstar Studios 2, an expanded berry farming feature with mutations, walking Pokémon, a proper Amie/Refresh that isn't just a "tap to win" feature, a PokéPelago 2, a secret final boss hidden in a post-game exclusive area, a proper Ribbon system, and online competitive Contests & Pokéathlon.
>>
>>32676120
>I'm gonna misread the OP on purpose just to make a shit post
Go play soduku.
>>
>>32676207
If you want all that, you're not getting a single new pokemon. They can barely make like 50 new ones per gen at this point as it is.
>>
>>32676220
If we could get all of this, I wouldn't even need any new Pokémon for that game.
>>
>>32676207

See I'd be fine with them dropping trainer hill, black tower/white forest, pokéstar and pokeathlon, but the others are the epitome of postgame content. Fuck, they could go three entire mainline games making zero changes to it all and it would be FINE
>>
>>32676220
>They can barely make like 50 new ones per gen at this point as it is.
They can. They just don't want to.
>>
>>32676185
SM also changed the overworld and the way you use TM
>>32676188
That doesn't make any sense
>>
>>32676200
This isnt true, there are more Gen 1 mons in the dex than Gen 7 mons, Red and Blue are the leaders of the Battle Tree, and Kukhui specifically used Kanto's league as inspiration to make the one in Alola. Plus, Lillie goes to Kanto

>>32676201
You can argue BW isnt innovative, sure, but XY and SM are exactly where they are supposed to be.

I'd argue that BW is okay where it is (other than being further along than the original) because the game is actually designed to be a parallel to a completely new experience compared to previous Gens, with the distance the region is from the rest, and the new pokedex. It's not about being innovative, it's about how far away from previous experiences the games are trying to be
>>
>>32676220
There are over 800 creatures at this point. I will take a empty gen if it means the games have something good in them.
>>
>>32675874
putting SM on the same level as XY is dumb. SM reworked the gym set up.
>>
>>32676235
SM's changes to the overworld arent very drastic. The grid is gone but things arent very different. You may as well say DP deserves to be on the other side for changing the overworld by making it 3D

Actually, that's probably a more convincing argument
>>
>>32676152
>I'd gladly take a more fitting word over reboot if you have any in mind.
Try "just another Pokemon game".
>>
>>32676255
barely
>>
>>32676266
You see, you will have a point if you weren't talking about the most stigmatic game of all time
If you can't see actual changes with SM in comparison with the rest of the tittles is a problem you have
>>
File: Erk.jpg (31KB, 188x280px) Image search: [Google]
Erk.jpg
31KB, 188x280px
>>32675874
>the games that introduced Mega Evolution, Customization, 3D, Amie, Sky and Horde Battles, a new fucking type
>not innovative
>the games that introduced Trails and Totems, Z-moves, Battle Royale, Alolan forms, Pelago, Ride Pokemon, removed grid based movement
>not innovative
>the games that introduced triple and rotation battles
>innovative

The one thing that's only gotten better with each generation is the first games. If you think otherwise, assuming you're capable of thought unlike OP, you are just a biased little faggot who can't accept the truth.
>>
I think the better question now is this: How long until we get to the mythical 1000th pokemon and pokemon starts to out-do certain mobile shit gaems in terms of quantity? I'm legit curious what will even be that when the day comes around Gen 8, 9 or 10.
>>
>>32675874
3rd Gen had best reboot, with no access to older mons, which restricted the whole meta thing.

Now you can have always everyone, from sixhundred gens ago. With SM and the lack of national dex, I thought they are going to do the same, but then I realized they nearly put every Pseudo in it.
>>
>>32676346
I think they will make gen 9 with 999 Pokemons and then in Gen 10 they will make another victini with number 0 beeing a legendary.

From then we will probably get more mons, or they will introduce a new reboot like in RSE, where they will give you only access to certain monsters.
>>
>>32676319
SM's changes to the overworld arent that large. The routes just arent as straight anymore.

We have already had elevation changes, the interaction between the routes and the towns are still the same, the towns are generally layed out the same outside buildings not facing one direction, which is stuff we started seeing in BW anyways, camera angle changes started in HGSS, towns arent larger or more detailed than before.
>>
>>32676165
>bait
>is fucking true
>>
http://saiph-charon.deviantart.com/gallery/

>all these shit fakemon
christ
>>
>>32676336
>XY just have 72 new pokemon asides megas
>innovate
>SM just have 81 new pokemon asides regional forms
>innovate
>BW have fucking 156 new pokemon
>not innovate

Also, sky battles just fuck'd up the most of flying pokemon with retarded animations
>>
>>32675874
Hi Mitja!
>>
>>32675874
I want:
>Fresh Start
>Radical
>Special
>Change
>It being good.
>>
File: 1484920407471.jpg (32KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1484920407471.jpg
32KB, 512x512px
>>32676336
Add to the list GS. They introduced item holding, berries, breeding, let you play in two regions, entire new fucking stats and two new fucking types, and they were were just an "expansion" and not innovative. While fucking BW, the least innovative games in the series that added absolutely nothing of value were.
Yeah, it's pretty fucking clear OP is incapable of thought.

>>32676458
>number of Pokemon
There's absolutely nothing innovative about that. Learn the meaning of the fucking word.
It just means Kalos and Alola didn't unnecessarily pad out the number by making shit. They didn't make four elemental dancer birds, unlike the fucking monkeys. The Tapus weren't pallet swaps meant to only fill the dex, unlike the Genies. They didn't add unnecessary middle stage in every Pokemon family, unlike pretty much everything from Unova.

At least learn to damage control properly.
>>
>>32675874
It's been long enough. I think we can go for a third approach, a completely different kind of game for Pokémon.

Do what Zelda and Mario are doing and go for Open World exploration.
>>
>>32676540
Remember anon
Hide unova threads
Ignore unova posts
Do not reply to unova posters
>>
>>32676336
>>32676540
A lot of those things are either really minor or related to adding to olkder pokemon rather than making new ones

The fact that you are talking about innovation when replying to the post that only talks about how some games feel like they are trying to be their own thing vs games that are harkening back to earlier generations is a problem.

In both lists you included new forms of older pokemon being a major feature of the gen, and in one a major feature is just adding more power to old movies. They are the defenition of nostalgia, fanservice and gimmick

Also note that you are the only ones making out one side to be inherently worse than the other, neither is necessarily bad

In other words, your long posts cant hide the fact that you are shitposting because you dislike BW
>>
>>32675874
I think R&S was more risky than the b&w, the later is meant ro simulate the first gen just with different mon for God's sake
>>
>>32676786
Oh, yes, changing up old things by making them different, new and fresh, while introducing new things at the same time is just nostalgia, fanservice and gimmicky, but doing absolutely fucking nothing is innovative. Makes perfect fucking sense. I mean, it's not like the former is literally the definition of being innovative and it's not like you calling it just "nostalgia, fanservice and gimmick" doesn't mean shit. I was in wrong.

>you are shitposting because you dislike BW
>note that you are the only ones making out one side to be inherently worse than the other
I know you lack absolutely fucking retarded, but seeing you write made me think you can at least read. I was giving you too much credit.

One, I said "first games get better each generation". Quite clearly implying I thought BW were the best of their time, better than anything before. And at the same time, I called them out for not being innovative. See, I called a not-innovative game better than the innovative ones. Doing the literal opposite of "making out one side to be inherently worse". Yes, BW were not innovative, but they had all the innovation from everything before, polished to higher levels. Which made them better. No one but your brought up "one side to be inherently worse".

This is probably the most pathetic attempt at damage control I've seen today.

>>32676568
I'll take the advice.
>>
File: 40secsinMS.png (18KB, 1362x541px) Image search: [Google]
40secsinMS.png
18KB, 1362x541px
Fixed
>>
>>32676979
I'm not OP

Again, neither me or OP are arguing that anything is innovative in the posts you have replied to. But one set of games...

Hell, I'll just quote myself again since you didnt actually reply to it at all

"some games feel like they are trying to be their own thing vs games that are harkening back to earlier generations "

The entire point is that some games feel like they are starting over by distancing themselves from earlier games, while some games feel like the opposite, with references to earlier games in terms of pokemon, evolution, forms, dex distribution, and how often it references earlier games.

RS and BW are comparatively less included to reference earlier games in these ways, while GS, DP, XY and SM are more likely

I really dont see why you're getting so defensive. You are fucking retarded. I'm glad you dont plan to reply to me again. Please keep your promise
>>
>>32676393
I think gen 9 will be released in 2021 and have the 1000th pokemon for the 25th anniversary
>>
>>32676165
>>32676185
>>32676201
>>32676240
>>32676336
>>32676458
>>32676540
>>32676979

sorry but where in the fuck are you guys getting "innovative" from? there is nothing in op saying left-side is innovative or that the right side isnt

is this bullshit what u call a strawman?
>>
>>32677237
>>32677326

Yeah, was wondering what's going on there honestly.
>>
>>32677326
I know, that's what i'm saying.
>>
>>32676458

Innovativ in what? Making a bunch of pokemon which are clearly inspired by the generation I pokemon?

There was so much crap in it.
>>
>>32677326
Who knows. Probably from the first guy who brought it up. Or maybe they're just using "innovative" in place of "radical". Both mean roughly similar things. Replace each mention of "innovative" with "radical" and the point the anons are making hardly change. Still, who knows for sure. Autism or illiteracy might be the reason for all we know.

Not that I'm complaining. These arguments have been pretty fun to watch, even if they're one sided. It's pretty pathetic and, don't know about you, but looking at pathetic things makes me feel better about myself.
>>
>>32676458
More Pokemon = more innovative is the most autistic thing I've ever heard congrats
>>
>>32677513
Anon, he tried to argue that references were the deciding factor of innovation. Not just that, but also that having less Pokémon available was something to be celebrated and the height of innovation. Don't try to argue with him. He's retarded
>>
>>32676152
Standalone isnt 100% correct but definitely better than reboot.

Or fresh, as you said.

As for dp, its true there are many pokemon related to previous mons, but aside from that, the games dont have much pandering and do feel like you're in a different region.

>>32676082
>has no formula
>survives because of a formula

>>32676120
To be fair, refreshing implies a previous state so every game can be more refreshing than the first.
>>
>>32678191
They have no consistent philosophy to how they execute their games, and gets away with it due to the basic formula of the games being something people will keep buying.

They dont bring back old things, except when they do, they switch between focusing on past Gens or ignoring them, they arent consistent in how they decide to add to the formula.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.