[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me, without meming, how SM's story was terrible.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: 1449553217221.jpg (333KB, 730x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1449553217221.jpg
333KB, 730x1032px
Explain to me, without meming, how SM's story was terrible. It was pretty fucking terrific in my opionion and I'm not really getting the hate here.
>>
I had no reason to care about it.

Lusamine could have just fucked off into the Ultra Dimension like she wanted and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Also the execution was a terrible. I just want to play a fucking video game, not watch cutscenes. I'd unironically rather have gen 1's story because at least it wasn't forced in my face.
>>
It wasn't your story, it was Lillie's, for one.
For two, the story itself is presented as a detriment to the gameplay. I hope you like mashing A to get through the unskippable cutscenes for doing just about anything that moves the story forward.
>>
>Froakie front and center while the other two shitmons are shoved to the side
Best starter!
>>
I wouldn't call it terrible but it's nothing special either. The main reason to dislike it is the way the cutscenes that deliver it break up the gameplay to a possibly annoying level rather than being either as a "breather" or naturally depicted through the gameplay as needed, or that it focuses too much on just Lillie and her personal drama rather than any other events or characters. For the latter though, you could probably argue that's the point.

I'd say it's at least better than SMD, which has some really fucking awful pacing and focus issues, and outright gets pretty retarded near the end.
>>
Well, it's objectively better than the stories of gen 4 and gen 5, and that makes sinnohkids (the majority on this board) feel bad. Plays better too. So that's why you see so much complaining about this game.
>>
>>32632478
Wow, you perfectly summed up my feelings on S/M's story.

I liked the games, but from an objective standpoint the games made a lot of decisions that really prevented them from being great.
>>
>>32632413
It's like a 6/10, but it's from the newest gen and /vp/ always shits on whatever the newest gen is incessantly. It's like a cycle, now people are saying that they liked ORAS.

>>32632487
smart anon
>>
>>32632533
I'm pretty sure people will be shitting on SM a decade from now.
>>
>>32632413
It felt like they came up with the ideas and never done anything with them

>Gladion escapes with Type Null and works for Skull
But Null does nothing in the game and we never really see Galdion doing anything for Skull
>Skull is evil team and they steal Pokemon to get money
But its the first evil team ever that isnt seen as threat by ANYONE, in fact they're a joke. Also Looker doesnt even arrest them despite their criminal activities

There's way too many stupid shit in the games that makes no sense
Cosmog is clearly a very myserious mon and Kukui, Burent and Hala should know that specially since Lillie told Burnet her story. What do they do to keep Lillie safe? Nothing, Lillie is going where she wants with that stupid bag and she's in danger all the time. Nobody cares.

Lillie has this weird change in her behavior after shit goes down in Aether. Going full happy optimictic mode after your mom went crazy, missing and your Pokemon is practically dead makes no sense whatsoever
>inb4 "its because Lillie finally felt free"
You dont get super happy after the thing you cared the most is on the verge of death no matter what, specially not OVERNIGHT

And so on, this game has some ok ideas but really terrible writing
>>
File: 1483345230199.jpg (94KB, 1426x801px)
1483345230199.jpg
94KB, 1426x801px
>>32632533
Yeah. At the end of the day, the games are all good, but it wouldn't be /vp/ if we didn't shit all over everything.
>>
>>32632533
>like a 6/10

To most people, especially on this site, that's shit. In a school setting, it's a failing grade.

Personally I don't care about the story much either way, but I have my own beefs with SM that make it my least favorite, and my varying opinions on pretty much all the games remain unchanged with time.
>>
Somebody yesterday explained it perfectly, the game treats you as a tourist and doesn't let you stray from the tourist approved spots.
>>
>>32632625
Someone worded it when the game came out that "it's like the level designer went to Hawaii for the first time specifically for the game and only had a planned tour to build the region off of". Or something along those lines.
>>
>>32632487
gen 5 had a better story than 7.
>>
>>32632413
>Story about generic girl and the whole plot revolves around her family issues
>>
>>32632413
Lillie.
>>
File: SchuComic10P97.jpg (233KB, 775x1060px) Image search: [Google]
SchuComic10P97.jpg
233KB, 775x1060px
>>32632851
>gen V
>better story
>the same story that had a character who hated Pokemon battling made his Pokemon battle
>better story
Instantly loses points for that alone. You don't write a character with those beliefs and make him immediately contradict himself.
>>
>>32634954
>>better story
>>the same story that had a character who hated Pokemon battling made his Pokemon battle

Nice try.
N knew he cant convince people with just wishful thinking and thats why he must make pokemon battle for this cause, he said as much several times
>>
>>32634971
That is still TERRIBLE writing. At the end of the day he despises batlting and yet and he goes out of his way to battle you on several occasions to "convince" you to give up on it.
>>
>>32634993
Yeah Lillie also must protect Nebby at all cost.... and still goes around everywhere alone and Nebby goes out all the time
>>
>>32635003
SM's story is terrible but at least it didn't pull shit like BW. Still a really bad story and GF should hire better people to write for them if the best they could come up with is shit like these two and the dumbass story from RS.
>>
>>32635017
AZ and Floette was the best they could pull with story, too bad they had to ruin it with Team Flares plot
>>
>>32632851
Gen 5 had a better conceptual idea for its story but it fails to deliver
>>
>>32632413
/vp/ hates it from being there, not because its bad.
>>
>>32632487
>hurr I don't like the Pokémon of time and space

Fuck off you contrarian bitch
>>
>Gladion leaves Aether and joins Team Skull, but Team Skull is connected to the Aether Foundation (for reasons that are never explained) and Gladion appears to know this
>Lusamine has no agenda
>last third of plot is BRING HER HOME
>Lusamine fuses with a Nihilego and then sends out Clefable
>UB invasion happens off-screen and sloppily post-game
>>
It's just B/W's plot, except Lillie was smart enough to realize something was wrong while N was clueless about how obviously evil Ghetsis was. I actually think Gen V's plot is just as obnoxious and forced as VII's; the only difference is graphics.
>>
>>32635358
BW's plot wasn't shoved in your face with constant cutscenes and it was actually relevant to the basis of the entire franchise instead of just being about some girl who's afraid of dressing how she wants.
>>
>>32632459
>charmander and treecko are the only starters whose lines appear multiple times
what did mystery dungeon mean by this
>>
>>32632413
Story was good and all just too linear
>>
>>32635485
Sadly the franchise up to that point showed nothing that would make the question BW brought up anything more than laughable and BW itself did very little in a vacuum to try and make the question seem meaningful.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.