[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name 3 pokémon from Sun and Moon One that positively surprised

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: 784-Kommo-o.png (396KB, 800x653px) Image search: [Google]
784-Kommo-o.png
396KB, 800x653px
Name 3 pokémon from Sun and Moon

One that positively surprised you
>alolan grimer: proved to be rather useful early on. I ended up boxing it but it was a tough choice. Also alolan muk is OU apparently
One that met your expectations
>Mudsdale: solid physical wall
One that disappointed you
>Pic related: looked like the second coming of garchomp and it has this weird stat spread that doesn't match the moveset instead

Bonus points if your disappointment isn't a starter
>>
>>32631373
> Second coming of Garchomp
Really??? Cause I knew it was going to be shit the moment they announced it was part fighting
>>
>>32631373
>Pic related
shes just another slow mixed attacker, it looks like GF has a boner for that kind of pokemon
>>
>surprise
alolan persian: pretty physically bulky with furcoat and great support movepool
>met
tsareena: ok physical attacker
>disappoint
lycanroc day: too squishy(i didn't use exp share or refresh so he got one shot super easily)
>>
Positive Surpsrise:
>Mimikyu, they literally made something thats both amazing in a story playthrough and competitive for the same reasons
Mon that met my expectations:
>Primarina and Alolan Raichu. I was a Popplio boy since I saw it and stuck with him, and my Primarina proved very useful in my first run of sun. Alolan Raichu gave one of my favorite gen 1 mons a psychic typing and made it much cuter IMO.
Dissapointment:
>Lurantis, really sad to say that because I think it looks cool and I just wish it was a little faster then I'd find it much better, though thats for a lot of gen 7 mons.
>>
>Araquanid
Yeah okay it's not the best competitive-wise, but honestly it could take hits really well during the story
>Mimikyu
I knew its ability was going to make it annoying
>Lurantis
Love the design, but it's sooo slooowww
>>
>Positively surprised me
None unfortunately
>Met expectations
Solgaleo and Lunaala I guess. They're stupid strong legends.
>Disappointed me
Decidueye, Vikavolt, Kommo-o, Wishiwashi, both Lycanrocs, and ESPECIALLY Lurantis.
Basically all the Pokemon I loved design-wise.
>>
>>32631373
I haven't played Gen 7 OU but in-game Kommo-o is really good, bulky enough to easily set up DD and sweep a lot of the boss traners

Decidueye was a huge disappointment though
>>
>Positive surprise
Alolawak. It's got good typing that gives it immunity to Will-o-Wisp and alright power and physical bulk (although there's very few pokemon out there that hate Knock Off as much as this one), so I knew it wouldn't be bad. But I was shocked at how hard it fucked the meta sideways. Ifs appearance in Kiawe's trial and its dance in Refresh solidified its spot as a top-tier bromon as well.
>Met your expectations
Mimikyu. Disguise is a neat gimmick and makes it a good emergency sweep stopper, but that's about all it has going for it, and it doesn't have the power to make free Swords Dance as dangerous as some people thought it would be, which I suspected would be the case.
>Disappointed
Vikavolt. I love its design and its concept, but
>43 speed
>>
>surprise
I fell in love with Ribombee and all the weaknesses it hit for on the same fucking commons that were everywhere
>met
I wanted a Gardedog without the Mecha shit. And they delivered. That might be a surprise I guess
>son I am disappoint
Vikavolt couldn't evolve till endgame who fucking OKd that
>>
>positive
Incineroar. I initially hated him but he was pretty useful for me
>met
Lurantis. I thought he was cool and he was indeed cool
>disappoint
Ribombee. I finally decided to use a bug type. She was frail as hell
>>
>>32631373
>Pleasant surprise
Primarina, that SpA tho, once it got STAB Moonblast it was a wrap
>Met expectations
Lycanroc-Midday. I just wanted a fast pure Rock type and it delivered the goods and looked good while doing it
>Disappointment
Vikavolt, evolving so late and only getting a good special Bug move from the tutor before the E4 was a huge letdown, plus the Speed issue even though I kind of knew what I was getting into with that last one
>>
>>32631483
oh shit you guys are talking competitive. fuck it I am far too casual for that.
>>
>Tsareena
Decent bulk+queenly majesty has saved my ass many times, especially with assault vest and trop kick
>celesteela
A good wall that can also hit hard
>pyukumuku
No fucking offense, relegated to showderp-tier gimmicks and bide bullshit
>>
>Bewear
Ended up being a total bro.

>Salazzle
Frail glass cannon.

>Gumshoos
Another route 1 shitmon. Crappy design. Cool ability wasted on a shitmon. /vp/ and the rest of the internet sperging out and forcing it as an election meme.
>>
>>32631373
>positively surprised
Bewear. It's not really the best competitively, but it holds up well whenever I use it and I have fun battling with it. I honestly didn't have much expectations for it.
>Met expectations
Primarina. I expected it to be good, but not incredible since it's a starter, which I usually expect gamefreak to fuck up in one way or another.
>Disappointed
Vikavolt and Dhelmise ;-;
>>
>>32631373
Literally me.

Now, if I had to pick another set:
>Pleased
Minior. I thought it was going to be a shitty gimmickmon but ended up helping me win against that golf bitch I was stuck with at the E4
>met
Ultra Beasts in general, but especially Buzzwole and Pheromosa. They pretty much were what I was expecting from the trailer
>disappointed
Crabrawler. Thought it was either a single-stage or that it was going to evolve to some drunken-ish brawler rough-ass crab. The retarded yeti thing we got in the end doesn't even get there until the end of the game.
>>
>Marowak.
It's stupidly good in competitive. Flare Blitz hits like a truck.

>Muk
Also really good competitively and the design is top tier.

>Lycanroc Midnight
Slow and not very bulky but it gets Counter. It's also not a Dark Type.
>>
>suprise
Araquanid or Alolan Persian both were in-game bros and have niches in competitive
>met
Oranguru
>disapointment
Crabominable not only is it ugly but it's also a shitmon that ruined crabrawler
>>
>Surprised
I'll go with alolan-persian. Hated the design and couldn't see how it would just be a slightly less useless version compared to it's counterpart. Turned out to have very useful niches and is a huge physical wall, ended up not hating the design as much thanks to it's usefulness and how much the heavy ball fits for my balltism.
>met expectation
Araquanid. Favorite design, but it screamed RU with solid niches, which it does marvelously.
>disappointed
Lycanroc-day, expected lucario/zoroark stats, got rock sandslash instead. Doesn't even get earthquake for coverage, leaving an amazing move go into waste.
>>
>>32631373
>surprise
Mimikyu. Thought it would be a gimmick mon with shit stats, but it ended up with surprising speed and attack investment, and Play Rough and Swords Dance.

>Met
Decidueye. Thought it would be a mediocre fast grass/flying, and ended up a mediocre slow ghost/grass. Traded speed for a better typing.

>disappointed
Golisopod. My bro. ;_;7
>>
>>32631373
>Surprised
Alolan Muk; Originally I wasn't too psyched about the design on him (honestly I still think it's kinda ugly) but he does so much damn work. The only thing he doesn't have over Kanto form is the elemental punches (Gamefreak PLS.)

>Met Expectations
Solgaleo/Lunala; Overall both of them are pretty solid legendary Pokemon and worthy of being box legends. Shame about Lunala's typing in a world of Yveltal and Giratina, but Solgaleo is a monster.

>Disapponted
All Dragon types introduced; Maybe it's because Fairies are broken this generation, maybe b/c Kommo-o's stats are fucked all the way to Sunday/the 4x weakness to Fairies (Guzzlord too on that front), maybe b/c Turtonator/Drampa are single-stage gimmick-Mons at best, but all the Dragon types this generation sucked major ass. Shame, I actually really like Kommo-o's design. And whoever OK'd Alolan Exeggutor's typing needs to have a clip emptied into their skull(s).
>>
>Surprised
Primarina

>Met
Passimian

>Disappointed
Drampa
>>
>>32631712
>surprise
>Mimikyu. Thought it would be a gimmick mon with shit stats, but it ended up with surprising speed and attack investment, and Play Rough and Swords Dance.
This, I knew I would love it but I thought it would just be another on the list of shitmons I love.
>>
>>32631373
>Surprise
Ribombee. Never appealed to me but ended up being a worthy teammate in Moon. Had good type coverage.
>Met
My Primarina and Alolawak did not disappoint.
>Disappointed
Kommo-o. I really like Kommo-o, and I totally would've used it, but I feel it just has no good move options at all and a severely crippling weakness.
>>
>One that positively surprised you
Lurantis. It isn't a good Pokémon judging its status or ability, but this guy was a fucking beast in the Pokémon League. Maybe I was surprised since I wasn't expectning nothing about it.

>One that met your expectations
Golisopod. If it had a different ability, it would be a fucking better. Emergency Exit isn't THAT BAD, but is annoying as fuck.

>One that disappointed you
Vikavolt and Salazzle. Salazzle because I thought Salandit would have an awesome evolution and in the leak it became just like that. It got even worse when I tried to use it.
>>
File: 1414554737555.jpg (52KB, 650x410px) Image search: [Google]
1414554737555.jpg
52KB, 650x410px
>>32631732
Nah the dragons this gen are just shit. Garchomp, Salamence(including base form), and Dragonite still manage to be pretty solid.
>>
>>32631373
>surprised
Tsareena. Something in my mind told me this would be Leavanny 2.0 at reveal, but its a fairly nice hard hitting grass type with pretty good bulk
>met expectations
When Toxapex was leaked I told everyone it would essentially be alolan ferrothorn, and of course it was a great mixed tank like Ferro.
>disappoint
Toucannon. After Talonflame let everyone know route 1 birds could be badass, toucannon (who's design is literally a fucking bird with no flair.) fucked every thing up. It doesn't know what role it wants to play. Is it a sweeper because of high attack and skill link? Then what's up with 60 speed? Is it trying to be a tank since its signature move goes last and burns? Not with fucking 80/75/75 defenses. Does it want to be a hard hitting special attacker since it gets STAB Boomburst?
>75 Special Attck
Fuck toucannon
>>
File: The_trash_man[1].png (206KB, 670x895px) Image search: [Google]
The_trash_man[1].png
206KB, 670x895px
>Surprise
Muk. Starts off amazing, especially mine with its black sludge. Then it falls off for a bit. Then it evolves and starts trashing everything with gunk shot and crunch. It can go 1v1 with just about every special attacker and win with about half its health left at worst. Grass, fairy and psychic types get trashed. I know what I'm calling it next time I play through
>Met
>Raichu. It was pretty good once it finally evolved. It was fast and hit kinda hard
>Disappointed
Pichu. Whoever said you can use anything ingame is a fucking liar. That piece of shit was falling off before the first totem fight
>>
>>32631373
>Surprised
Alolan Ninetails - I didn't think much of it, but the stats, Aurora Veil/Snow Warning, and typing made it perfect

>Met Expectations
Vikavolt - Speed and high SpAt in one glorious combo

>Disappointed
Silvally - I wanted it to be in my top 3 but it just didn't measure up
>>
>>32631437
>>32631462

>Disappointing Vikavolt
What's this about? Mine works wonders
>>
>>32631712
>>disappointed
>Golisopod.

You can't be serious. Why?
>>
>>32631373
>Araquanid
I, and many others were shitting oh so much on the bug, and then we found out what it's ability really did.
>Tsareena
expected it to be a solid grass type with above average stats, and its a solid grass type with above stats with a pretty good movepool
>Guzzlord
oh Guzzlord, where did they go so wrong with you? At this rate, you may not even be good in PU. Everytime i think of Guzzlord, it just makes me sad.
>>
>>32631904
SLOW
L
O
W

And evolves right at the end-game.
>>
>>32631911
Crippling ability. What else?
>>
>positively surprised
None of them really surprised me battle-wise. I already liked some of Oricorio's forms, but by the end of my run I liked all of them. I really liked making use of its form change throughout the game too. Palossand grew on me though that's pretty much entirely for more deplorable reasons. If we're talking expectations for evolution designs Shiinotic was way better than what I was expecting Morelull to end up as and is my second favorite Alola mon behind Oricorio.
>met
Bewear was pretty much exactly as good as I was hoping.
>dissapointed
Tsareena's dex entries and evolution method made it too blatantly fetishistic for my tastes. I guess Vikavolt's Speed stat sucks but the Pokemon still works for me in Doubles and it doesn't bother my prude self nearly as much as that outright indecency does.
>>
File: comfay.png (452KB, 899x899px) Image search: [Google]
comfay.png
452KB, 899x899px
>>32631373
>Surprised
Ribbombee, Mimikyu, and Comfey. Expected all of them to be complete shitmons. Instead we got a speedy glass cannon, one of the most annoying physical threats this gen, and a utility mon with passable stats.
>Expectations met
The mascot ledgendaries stats and movepools, Oranguru being a Trick room player, Tsuareena being a bulky physical attacker with average speed and decent coverage, Wishiwashi having colossal offenses and bulk, Drampa having an immense movepool.
>Disappointed
Lycanroc's movepool, Kommo-O's STAB movepool, Golisopod keeping Wimp Out but reskinned, Vikavolt's SPEED, Shinnotic's HP, EVERYTHING about Lurantis. Christ they all deserved better than this.
>>
Cant really think of any Alolamons that exceeded my expecations so I'll just skip that one
>expected
Gumshoos. A shitty route 1 com'mon is a shitty route 1 com'mon. No big surprise. I'll give it that it does hit really hard with CB Adaptablility Thrash, but it mostly never gets to pull it off since its a slow, frail, attacker. Gamefreak really needs to stop that.
>dsappointed with
Alola-Dugtrio. They chould have done something different with the Alola Variants, sucha s swapping around their base stats. With how lazily they handled them, the Alola froms are simply flatout better like Alolawak and Alolan Muk or simply flatout worse, like Alola Exeggutor and Fabtrio. Fabtrio had the perfect opprtunity to be a special variant, with a movepool of muddy water/surf, earth power and dazzling gleam, but it's just out right worse in every way to normal dugtrio with losing a speed tier to gain nelegable "bulk"
>>
>>32631373
> Surprised you?
Ribombee, the little fucker is so versatile.
> Met your expectations?
Mudsdale, for the same reason as OP.
> Disappointed you?
Lurantis. It has a fantastic design, but its range and power in combat both kind of suck.
>>
>>32632007
>it's range
Huh?
>>
>>32631373
Surprised
>Ribombee, I catch it because I really like pixie/fairy theme of that pokemon. Turns out it can nuke things after set up
Expect
>wishiwashi, I knew its ability is what hold it back, but I have good time using it in game.
Disappoint
>Kommo-o, lack of stab and viable moves make it viable. Though, still pretty good in game and battle tree.
>>
>>32631485
Now THIS is what I call a bara!
>>
>Positive
Bewear

>Everything else
Looks like goddamn Yugioh
>>
>>32631373
Sorry for choosing more than three.
>positively surprised you
Primarina: I put this thing in my teams whenever I can. It's fun to use and stronger than I expected.
Alolan Marowak was a really nice surprise too, I didn't expect it to be so good competitively. Same for Alolan Muk.
>met your expectations
Kartana, Mimikyu, Bewear and Salazzle. I expected them to be pretty good, and they all were in some way or another, be it in-game or in a competitive environment.
>disappointed you
Silvally for sure. I hear it's usable in VGC, but not much else and even there it's not all that good. I love the design and I wish it was more viable. Speaking of, any suggestion for a VGC set for it?
Lurantis too for pretty obvious reasons.
>>
>Toucannon
Surprisingly reliable ingame and could hit a lot of enemies with beak blast, fury attack, bullet seed and fightium Z. I was very happy with it.
>Alolan Dugtrio
Fast ground/steel type. I expected acceptable offence and no defences so it met my expectations.
>Crabominable
Looked around for hours trying to catch its prevo, and was very happy when I finally caught one. It finally evolved at the end of the game after spending most of it being KO bait, and even after evolving it was still too frail. I liked it's concept and design but it always underperformed.
>
>>
>Surprised
A-Sandslash. I got a lvl 1 Sandshrew from WT around halfway the journey on Melemele and I actually was expecting for it to turn out mediocre (Ice is so terrible, you don't understand). But I already said before starting the game that which ever I would get first, Sandshrew or Vulpix I would use them since imo there Alolan forms are just flat out better then there Kanto relatives. So I endes up with Sandslash first. And boy what a surprise was it. The little guy could actually take hits and dish them back with Icle Crash and Iron Head. And once it evolved it still proved to be usefull. It even helped me deal with Kukui's Lycanrok and its SR's since it learns Rapid Spin naturally (that was actually one of the reasons why I even wanted Sandlash in the first place). But this was all mostly due to its Steel type and less its Ice type. If it was pure Steel with say Refrigerate it would've been even better. Least I'm glad it's perfectly usable in Doubles.

>Expected
Primarina and Mimikyu. I called it months ago that Mimilyu would be this gen's Klefky and it turned out to be even better. As for Primarina, come on now, Water/Fairy NOT being good? That's like saying a Steel/Fairy won't end up good in some way, it's one of those typings that's literally impossible to fuck up. That is unless the mon has crappy stats or hindering ability.

>Disappointed
Most of the mons I knew would be trash did turn out to be so, but one that I wasn't was Guzzlord. Oh mama, GF you need to start developing on other games cause it's clear you have no idea how to make pokemon anymore. From the stupidity that are Pheromosa and Koko, to the downright embarrasing fuck ups like Guzz and Crabominable, to not knowing how to make good stat spreads or to make GOOD gimmick mons. I'm convinced at this point Mimikyu was a happy mistake. And things only get worse once you look at Marshadow. Do you want to pander to Doubles or to Singles ?
>>
File: stufful and bewear pokebeans.gif (840KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
stufful and bewear pokebeans.gif
840KB, 500x240px
>>32631373
>positive surprise
Drampa. I expected it to be pretty shit, but on a whim I decided to add one to my Trick Room Battle Tree team and it hits surprisingly hard.
>met expectations
Bewear. Expected a bulky, strong teddy bear and got one. One of my favorites from Alola.
>disappointment
Lurantis. Slow, barren move-pool. Usable enough in game but that's about it. At least it's cute, though.
>>
>>32631373
- Primarina. Despite it's typing and fabulous looks, I wasn't expecting it to be competent outside of in-game shenanigans. Turned out to be a monster in OU (if used correctly), Battle Spot & Battle Tree Singles.

- Celesteela. I was shocked when people was initially calling it a worse Skarmory, so I gave it a shot and it somehow started to wall half the metagame and stall everything with Leech Seed.

- Mimikyu. See >>32631712

- Koomo-o. Just by looking it's stats, typing. movepool and abilities I figured it would be the less user friendly Pseudo of all. After a couple of disastrous attemps, I discovered that Belly Drum+Salac Berry murders everything, so...yeah. Hard as hell to use, but increibly rewarding when you make it work.

- Minior. It's that weird pokemon that's fun to use in-game but hellish hard to use in competitive. Still love mine, tho.

- The Tapus. Expected them to take over the metagame, and that's exactly what happened.

- Alolan Forms. I expected most of them to be at least superior to their original counterparts, and that's exactly what I got (save for diglett/dugtrio).

- Lurantis. It sucks so bad I ended up dropping it for Vikavolt in my Moon playthrough.

- Decidueye & Incineroar. Man, they're so cool, and yet they're so mediocre. Especially Incineroar, who I tried using in UU and it constantly disappointed me.
>>
>>32631373
i've never played sun/moon but mimikyu positively surprised me. idk, i expected it to be worse but disguise is a really good gimmick. i think lycanroc just about met my expectations, i didn't expect it to be good even with people yammering about how great accelerock would be. salazzle disappointed me. just a little.
>>
>>32631990
Emergency Exit isn't Wimp Out.
>>
>>32635604
>keeping Wimp Out but reskinned
>but reskinned
>reskinned
Do you lack reading comprehension? EE is no different from WP outside of flavor reasons.
>>
>>32631373
>One that positively surprised me.
Golisopod.
I expected Wimpod to be just another Dunsparce, but Game Freak sure proved me wrong otherwise by evolving the little coward into a fierce predator our boy Guzma certainly loves.

In spite of it's identical Ability, effect-wise, Golisopod certainly makes for an effective bulky bug/water. It helps that First Impression is Fake Out on steroids and the fact that Leech Life finally got beefed to oblivion for bugs like him.

>One that met my expectations.
Lunala.
It has fantastic special coverage to make nice use out of it's good Sp. Atk. Not as strong as basic Kyogre or Reshiram, but still worth writing home about.

>One that Disappointed me.
Guzzlord
I was expecting a fierce bulky attacker in the same veins as Snorlax. However, it ended up being a poor man's Hydreigon that sucks at being the final boss of the Ultra Beasts.
>>
>>32631373
Mimikyu

already loved the design, didn't think they had the balls to make it THIS good

Alola marowak, high expectations but they were met

Crabrawler

thought it was single stage, not the first stage of a shitmon
>>
>>32636110
oh yeah and vikavolt dissapointed me but that's probably literally everybody
>>
>>32631373
>coolest design in the whole gen
>shit stats/moves

Because of course.
>>
>surpassed
Alolan Muk. Damn thing is a beast.

>met
Silvally. Expected shit; got shit.

>disappoint
Golisopod. What a disappointing Pokémon all around.
>>
>>32636156
>Golisopod. What a disappointing Pokémon all around.
it can be fune to use with a choice band as passive pivot. swiitch it into attacks it survives that puts it below half, bring it in to kill with first impression or go for leech life when you think opponent will switch to put it back above half. that's really gimmicky but kinda neat
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.