[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1996. What do you think it was like /vp/? To play a gen 1 game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: lance1-rby.png (8KB, 588x529px) Image search: [Google]
lance1-rby.png
8KB, 588x529px
1996. What do you think it was like /vp/? To play a gen 1 game for the first time, before all the hype, before the cultural relevance, before all of the maniacal fandom?

What was it like to play it when it was just another game?
>>
>>32610259
do you mean specifically before xmas 1998 in america? because i remember those days. but if you mean being in japan in 1996 playing it, idk.
>>
>>32610259
I don't agree with the image your trying to paint. The hype went into high gear pretty damn fast. Pokémon was a fad from the start, at no point was it a sleeping beast waiting to be awakened.
I would say gen III when the "you still play pokémon" mentality was in full force was the closest we have been to pokémon just being a needle in the haystack.
>>
>>32610328
>You still play pokemon?
Was it gen III? I swear that was more gen IV. I am a little younger though (didn't start playing until just before gsc).
>>
>>32610259
>What do you think it was like to play a gen 1 game before the hype?
Thanks for reminding me there are people old enough to legally use 4chan who weren't even alive when Gen 1 was out.
>>
>>32610341
In my experience it was. If you're about 20 or less then I could imagine that the backlash didn't occur until gen IV.
>>
>>32610259
Are you talking specifically to be a jap and play it before everyone else?
Because I WAS around when it was released in my own country (and before it was popular), and I remember it being an instant hit with basically everyone who was into nintendo at the time not really because it was an amazing game but because it was a decent, unique game on the gameboy(color). Maybe it was just me, but the gameboy's library felt pretty lackluster when it came to games that weren't straight up better off on consoles, and pokemon just felt really right for the time.
As a footnote, even though pokemon only reached me by late 1998, hype didn't spread like wildfire like it did for LoZ and Mario games. Even though I got it a few years after popularity ground zero in japan, it felt brand new because of the lack of modern internet and also I was still a kid and would have been oblivious to the social hype even if there was any.
>>
>>32610341
>>32610328
I got that with Gen II
>>
>>32610341
When did Gen III come out? 2003? I'm 19 and I remember playing Pokemon Blue with a friend who had a GBA.
Maybe we were just poor or something.
>>
File: 250px-108Lickitung.png (68KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-108Lickitung.png
68KB, 250x250px
>>32610259
>1996. What do you think it was like /vp/? To play a gen 1 game for the first time, before all the hype
Basically if you can imagine your parents suggesting a game for you that you would actually enjoy. Imagine that happening in 2017 and that would be Pokemon.

Its hard to imagine 'before all the hype' because the hype made our parents buy it for us.
>>
It was already huge in Japan before it went Westward. Nintendo smelled a hit and were promoting Pokémon in the U.S. via KFC and VHS tapes mailed to Nintendo Power subscribers.

It never had time to be "just another game" in the U.S., it was already 'big' at the start.
>>
>>32610259
1998, I was there. Got stuck in a soccer net pretending to be a Caterpie.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.