[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what exactly constitutes a pokemon? Pokemon seem to encompass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 01_14classifyinglife_l.jpg (95KB, 677x600px) Image search: [Google]
01_14classifyinglife_l.jpg
95KB, 677x600px
So what exactly constitutes a pokemon? Pokemon seem to encompass animals, plants, ghosts and rocks among other things. Do pokeballs just catch anything other than humans? Could I just catch an actual tree and defeat all of my enemies by throwing forests at them?
>>
A Pokemon is whatever gamefreak decides is a Pokemon
>>
>>32572974
>no sub-order
Bears and Canids both belong to Caniformia
>>
>>32572974
depending on what game you play a Pocket Monster is either a unique group of animals and plants with unfathomable powers, or are the worlds equivalent to the actual animal kingdom.
>>
I pretty sure in one manga pokemon were explained as beings that couldn't be classified by the biological taxonomies, but their actual biology and cellular make up was so similar they had to be classified as a single species.
>>
>>32572974
Macroscopic size, larger than a mouse but smaller than a whale.
>>
Don't all pokemon share common DNA with Mew? I'm assuming it's something with that
>>
i was under the assumption it was anything that laid eggs, or was a guardian/diety of some sort to cover non-breeding legendaries
>>
>>32573061
I'm sure the image's main role is to illustrate the levels that are always represented. Dropping all other shit like subspecies, tribes, suborders, subclasses and all other occasional clades.
>>
>>32572974
strictly speaking anything that cant reproduce as a species is not a living thing so discounting dimorphic, neotenuic and highter stages that cant breed legionaries barring manaphy arnt technically alive
>>
>>32572984
This is the only correct answer.

When Sun & Moon first came out there was a lot of debate about whether Ultra Beasts were really Pokémon too
>>
>>32574889
Your elementary school definition of living being doesn't apply in a fantasy world you dingus.

I dare you go tell ancient rock people created by some powerful wizard millenia ago they aren't alive.
>>
>>32574889
>cares about shit being alive
>in the same game with a fucking GHOST type
>>
Zygarde Cells aren't listed as Pokemon because can't use moves. So that's one criteria
>>
>>32572974
is it alive?
does it have a type?
can it use moves?
can it be caught in a fucking poke ball?
>>
A lot of things seem (e.g. the First Pokemon Movie) seem to point towards the fact that they use "Moves" and don't just attack regularly.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.