[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GEN VIII Red is >plot heavy games with a large cast and full-on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 3

GEN VIII
Red is
>plot heavy games with a large cast and full-on voice acting
Blue is
>plotless open world where you're thrown in just with the quest of becoming the pokemon champion

Which one, vp?
>>
Blue. The "cinematic experience" meme needs to die. You can do a good story without forcing a bunch of cutscenes down the player's throat.
>>
>>32538354
Considering the shit that Game Freak calls "plot." I'd take blue. It would be something new, and it would be nice to to be forced to other areas for a change.
>>
blue unironically
>>
>>32538354
Normally I'd take Red but this is GameFreak, so Blue
>>
>>32538354
Red with less tutorial and cutscene bullshit.
>>
>>32538368
*not be forced
>>
>>32538354
considering gamefreak... blue
>>
Elaborating
>Red has still 8 gyms, 4 elites and a champion, along with a villainous team and 2 friends/rivals, but they're more heavily featured in the main plot
>There are cutscenes and voice acting
>The game is linear in order to accommodate the more heavy plot
>Blue has an open world divided in 18 areas, one for each type. You're free to tackle them in the order you wish, you need to conquer 8 of them in order to challenge the league, which is not type coded anymore
>There are still gyms leaders and elites and champion but no rival and they're all just there to be dueled
>You're only objective is literally to conquer the league, the games has no plot, no villainous team and no rival: the game throws you into your adventure as soon as possible in order to enhance replayability
>>
>>32538354
As long as the cutscenes and tutorial handholding is toned down, I'd take red because I really loved Sun/Moon's cast and the story, so more of that I wouldn't mind.
Blue would probably be better if they could successfully harken back to the days of original red/blue, but I really don't trust their abilities to do that correctly, otherwise I think they would have done that more often in their games.
>>
OP again last post just throwing in my 2 cents. While I liked SM plot the game hold so little replay value, and to me a big part of falling in love with pokmon was playing the older games over and over again with totally different pokemon, since the plot was so minimal that it was easy to just begin anew. I liked SM but I can't go through that plot again. Replayability is what lures me towards the blue pill.
>>
If these are the ONLY two choices, I have to pick blue because I hated Sun and Moon's "story" being so intrusive on the playing experience.

I hate open world games though so I guess I wouldn't buy it at all
>>
>>32538426
Oh god now they're both awful.
Red I guess, because that 18 areas sounds literally impossible to pull off in a fun, interesting, or sensible way. Why the fuck would anyone divide everything into type-based regions, that doesn't sound diagetic at all. Pokemon is all about, on some degree at least, mimicking real life habitats and nature. If the pokemon don't live in a large variety amongst each other, it's losing a lot of that charm. Also no rival sucks, because the closest thing to open world in Pokemon was the original games, and Blue contributed a lot to that experience by being the best rival.
>>
Red. Blue is everything I hate in pokemon games.
>>
>>32538354
You are pure cancer if you pick red, period. Red is what is wrong with these games now.
>>
>>32538472
well type coded areas only means that the leader of that area uses that type and you have a lot of pokemon of that type there, not ONLY... you know kinda like now? I said 18 areas only because thus we can have 18 gyms and have totally different playthroughs, not that ALL electric type pokemon are in one area and so one.. they can also keep being habitat based, it's only to give 18 options for the 8 badges.. I think it could work (if they devise something feasible for scaling).
>>
Blue. I'm not a fan of games being plot heavy; dislike the fuckton of characters recent Pokemon games have been throwing at us and voice acting is usually shit.
>>
>>32538481

Kill yourself. People like you are the reason Pokemon is shit now.
>>
>>32538426
>The game becomes linear because of plot
This is a fake problem created by GF's incompetence. There's no reason why the game should become streamlined "to accomodate the plot". Hell, SM had the perfect opportunity with Rotomdex: you could just let players roam through a good chunk of the region and then put a pointer on the map to remind players the place they should go if they want to progress with the story.
But GameFreak happened.
>>
>>32538520
Kill yourself. People like you are the reason Pokemon used to be shit.
>>
>>32538354
Blue is the only correct answer
>>
>>32538354
Is it a good plot
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12971492

pool
>>
>>32538426
Both are empty and soulless. Choke on your stupid pills.
>>
>>32538354
Why would anyone take the fucking red pill?

Blue is literally everything Pokemon is supposed to be and GF is getting farther and farther away from it, it's horrible.
>>
>>32538426
Easily the second one. And with Breath of the Wild's success, I hope GF and Nintendo will realize that something on that scale for Pokemon would sell systems by itself.
>>
>>32538354
Red :^)
>>
>>32538584
If Nintendo had full control over the IP this would happen in an heartbeat. Zelda sold a lot and a fucking open world replay as many times as you want every playthrough is different would sell Switches like hotcakes (and probably become as ubiquitous as minecraft on youtube/twitch). The problem here is that Game Freak, Creature Inc. and The Pokémon Company have full creative control over the IP, Pokémon is technically a Second Party IP.
>>
>>32538354
I really like the SM's story and if in the DP remakes they put the effort in the plot i hope that they give Cyrus some compreensible reason to be villain.
Red pill then.
>>
>>32538550
This is the most important question.
>>32538553
It's "your" by the way.
>>32538562
Pretty much this, the games would be trash if they were devoid of one element or the other. Even in Red/Blue a lot of the player interest is vested in following the rival, and thwarting Team Rocket. I know personally I also absolutely love how without any of it being stated, you can connect all of Team Rocket's actions in the game to the Mewtwo plotline, and how Giovanni was trying to recapture his experiment.
Although the "fun" of this thread is to decide which extreme you'd prefer.

>>32538571
I just don't trust GF to be able to do semi-open world anymore, it's been 30 years since they did it decently, and the loss of a rival and villainous team seems far too much of a bad idea just makes me find Blue not worth it.
>>
Is this even a fucking question? Blue.
>>
>>32538626
>heartbeat
More than 5 years of development aren't a heartbeat.
>>
What happens if I take both pills?
>>
>>32538531
Also, I'd take the red pill simply because I don't have the time anymore to put hours and hours in a game, so I'd rather take something that lasts after I stop playing. For this same reason, the whole "replayability" is a meme for me: if I have the time, I'll just play another game, my backlog isn't Pokémon alone.

In no way I'm defending Masuda's crap about removing Battle Frontier, as Emerald is my favorite game. A postgame Battle Frontier should be mandatory, but that aside, I'd rather have them work on story and characters.
>>
File: 177253.jpg (30KB, 308x450px) Image search: [Google]
177253.jpg
30KB, 308x450px
>>32538674
>>
>>32538674
You get a balanced and actually fun game.
>>
Kill millennials now.
>>
>>32538354
That depends, how plot heavy are we talking here?
>>
>>32538726
18 hours of cutscenes heavy
>>
Red pill, but only if the story is well-done, cutscenes can be skipped, and you can choose a vocal track separate from the written language. I would even accept Splatoon style.
>>
>>32538354
Shit nigga, just gimme the pills. I'm in pain.
>>
>>32538773
Voice acting in which the characters are really just speaking gibberish is objectively the best voice acting.
>>
>>32538626
If Nintendo had full control over the IP, every game would be as bland and generic as XY.
>>
>>32538844
I like what Breath of the Wild did int he overworld. NPCs had a voice but only made a noise or two when you engaged them.

I could live with that. Voicing every NPC would torture. GF would cut so many corners.
>>
I've got a better idea. Stop making games for people that don't want to play games; ie, everyone that says "they don't have time".
>>
Both sound like shit. Give us a linear, plotless adventure with a ton of optional areas and sidequests with story along the way that ultimately has more story presence than any past game.
>>
How about purple
>>
>>32538923
>>32538688
>>
>>32538354
Blue, I enjoyed the main game due to stuff like SOS battles in SM but I never want to go through the cutscenes and constant interruptions again.
>>
>>32538354
>le one or the other maymay
kys
>>
>>32538674
You get 200 potions.
>>
>>32538354
I pick Blue, wouldn't be right to main Blastoise in Red
>>
>>32538354
all I need from GF is a pokemon game with fast in-battle animations, skippable early game tutorials (just ask at the beginning of the game if this is your first pokemon adventure holy shit it's THAT easy), and an endless battle mode that works offline and doesn't require me to breed for a new team everytime I get bored of a gameplan, e.g. FUCKING BATTLE FACTORY.
>>
>>32538354
Blue without hesitation.
>>
>>32538627
Like Lillies mom being a crazy bitch is a better reason to be a villain
>>
>>32539030
>just ask at the beginning of the game if this is your first pokemon adventure holy shit it's THAT easy
Can't have that. People might pick the wrong choice on that question and then be confused.
>>
>>32538991
Are they your strongest potions, though?
>>
>>32539064
Not that guy but Trainer's school should be at the IMMEDIATE beginning, mostly/entirely optional, and just be the hub for tutorials that you can re-experience any time.
They could do something interesting with the school instead of just having a bunch of nobodies every game tell you that fire > grass > water > fire, and pokemon can hold items.
>>
>>32539053
>Husband disappears while researching Ultra Space
>throw yourself into the research, as his work in the field is the only thing remaining of his
>be way too overprotective and controlling of children because you don't want the things you love to disappear from your life again
>discover Ultra Beasts
>use them to replace the hole in your heart your husband left and become obsessive over them as well
>so much so that you dress and style your children after Ultra Beasts

>years later people still shitpost about how you were just so lolrandumcrazy with no rhyme or reason
Being Lusamine is suffering.
>>
Blue
>>
>>32538354
I'll take the one that has the battle frontier.
>>
>>32538354
Blue, because it would be revolutionary and if you disagree then you are wrong
>>
>>32539383
>open world would be revolutionary
Where have you been the past decade?
>>
Okay, I want to know where this "games should not have plot" thing started and why it started.
>>
>>32539496
Gen 1 and 2 barely had any plot and they were great games with exploration and no forced "muh waifu character" cutscenes.

SM REALLY overdid it.
>>
blue but with a 'plot' in the style of shadow of the colossus

every area has an extremely hard boss you have to defeat to progress, and you have an evil person stalking you who has custom pokeballs able to capture people, and will chase you to the ends of the earth to catch you
>>
>>32539507
I meant outside the context of pokemon.

By the way, I think that excuse is horse shit.
>>
Can't give less of a shit about plot in a Pokemon game. It needs to be fun, not blown with cutscenes and emotional moments (that consist mostly of cringy shit).

Blue is the way to go, with a little important plot that ties your quest with an evil organization or just some other big stuff to the world where you are in, but not necessarily to you, the player.

Going 3D was a mistake, specially since the protags are always void of reactions but yet now they are thrown in some deep shit that they could at least have a different face expression other than :^)
>>
>>32538354
This is Pokemon we're talking about. Why not both? Would be the two most unique version differences within the same generation ever.
>>
>>32538426
TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE CHOOSING THE BLUE PILL
the blue pill already exists, you can play it now
http://www.pokemonpets.com/
>>
File: 1461462864588.jpg (27KB, 638x693px) Image search: [Google]
1461462864588.jpg
27KB, 638x693px
>>32539516
>and you have an evil person stalking you who has custom pokeballs able to capture people, and will chase you to the ends of the earth to catch you
This sounds DeviantArt ROMhack-tier.
>>
>>32539538
Thanks for proving that the blue pill is awful.
>>
I'll tell you why SM's plot sucks, and it's not just because of what you say. It's functionally bad, too. There was no purpose to any of it. Just like every other villain plot, it is disconnected from everything else in the game. It's just there so they can say they gave you a purpose to play, but no, I don't buy it. Villains never work unless they are an integral part of WHY you are doing stuff, and in no pokemon game are you doing that. You just get thrown into this mess against your will and expected to do something about it when all I was doing was minding my own business. No. This was bad in the orginals and it's bad now. I will not call this a plot, it's a distraction, and no pokemon game does anything to alter this.

As for "choices", I will still say anyone that says this of the first and second gens is exaggerating. Nothing you do has any impact whatsoever. There may be a choice, but it never amounts to anything. I will say this of any "open world game" as well, if applicable. Your choices should have an effect on how things play out. Otherwise, I find it to be pointless since you're going to do the other things anyway unless you can bypass all of that. To that, I say, what was the point? If you really want your games to be unique every time you play them, then at least have different ways I can do things, and not make me just do the same things only in a different order. It's all pointless to me.
>>
>>32539538
No, don't make me remember, all the pointless shit I did because I was bored, I still haven't beat the final zone, you can't make me go back
>>
>>32539647
So silent, player-insert protagonists can never work despite being a staple of nearly all of the most acclaimed and influential video games in history?
>>
>>32539669
It is possible to be given choices without any speech being involved.
>>
>>32539647
>Pokemon actually gives you choices in next game
>You can join the dark side Team Corpse, and your Pokemon all have to be undead or ghost types, for embracing the dark side you get negative potions which heal Pokemon for negative damage unless they are undead or ghost type in which case it does the opposite

>Then there is Team Cliche, you get 200 potions when you sign up because the command chain sucks and they ordered too many potions, however you can only use fairy or knight like pokemon, e.g. muh waifu Gardevoir
>>
>>32539693
I was responding to your first paragraph.
>>
>>32539697
I don't know what your point is. Anyone can see that's bad.
>>
>>32539647
>This was bad in the orginals and it's bad now.
ironically, I think RBY were the games in the series that handled "plot" in the best way possible. Team Rocket isn't some terrorist group trying to summon this gen's Cthulu, they're just assholes who are always putting themselves between you and something you actually need to complete your personal quest by accident. This way the player feels motivated to fight them even if there is litte to no context. Also the way their ultimate goal (catching mewtwo) is only hinted and never explicitly stated is the closest the games have ever gotten to building one of those "lore"s that many rpgs nowadays are praised for.
>>
>>32539705
Large and meaningful choices that significantly impact the rest of the game result in lackluster and unoriginal outcomes, due to the stretching of resources and the demand from consumers to have each choice be equal yet different.
>>
>>32539719
>games Team Rocket
>catching Mewtwo
Anon...
>>
>>32539703
I don't see what that has to do with anything I said there. If this has anything to do with the matter I said "you were given no choice in the matter", that has nothing to do with being able to speak. It is how the game functions. If the premise was given that I was supposed to be saving the day, that would not matter to me, but NO premise was given to me. Expecting me to save the day comes off as being forced at that rate.

>>32539719
They only make themselves an obstacle as much as everything else is an obstacle. To me, that lessens their impact as a force that is worthy of any attention. Also, you're seeing things that aren't there. At no point is it given that Giovanni had anything to do with the creation of Mewtwo. At all. There is nothing in any of the games.
>>
>>32538354
I'll take blue since we pretty much already got the red one with SM. The open world one at least has dialogue though, right? There have to be some small sub-plots like fixing a leaky pipe in Wattson's plumbing or some shit. If the open world is done right, it would be a fun game to go back to every now and again.

Really, I'm fine with either provided they're done well within their respective genres.
>>
>>32539731
I'm sorry you feel that way, because I don't. I think a satisfying outcome can be made for all alternate paths, but indeed, with the way games need to be developed, the more paths you make, the less effort is put into each of them individually. I'm not asking for that sprawling of a narrative. If you want choices, then only a few different endings should suffice. If you want more, then you'll need more time for development. I've never seen it done for any large enough game, though, so maybe it can't be done, at least not by anyone chained to release schedules. Theoretically, though, it should be possible.
>>
>>32539757
huh, that's right. I guess my memories got messed up with conflicting data.
>>
>>32539740
>they are interested in stealing pokemon, obviously rare pokemon would be better
>they attack Silph to get a Master Ball
>stole a Silph Scope to capture ghosts in Lavender Tower
>ghost pokemon to counter Mewtwo's psychic typing
>masterball to catch it
The only time you encounter Team Rocket as a group (rather than individuals, like the one running Nugget Bridge) that can't feasibly have anything to do with Mewtwo is in Mt. Moon.
>>
>>32539792
I just haven't seen it be done well in games at all, except for in a decision/split at the very end of the game, rather than one that drastically changes large swathes of the game.
>>
>>32539802
You've never played Red and Blue, have you?
Hint: it's about type combinations.
>>
>>32538354
Red.
I've done plotless open-world (cough, Breath of the Wild), and the openness is nice (really nice actually), but Breath of the Wild isn't exactly the most memorable game.

It's not the NES era anymore. RPGs need plot.
>>
>>32539817
What, because the Gengar line is part poison? Ghost is still the only type super-effective on Psychic, aside from bug of course which has no moves and is never strongly pointed out as being a counter to Psychic-type pokemon in-game, unlike Ghost-types.
>>
>>32538354
>Would you rather taste a big fat shit or drink piss
>>
>>32538354
blue

anyone that takes red doesn't really get the point of pokemon
>>
>>32538354
>>32538354
Blue

I play pokemon for exploration
>>
>>32539830
Because Psychic types are immune to Ghost type moves (read: Lick) in Gen I.
There's no mention of Giovanni being involved with Mewtwo in the games. That was in the anime.
Even if it's not related to the plot of RGBY, I'll also add that the games never mention cloning on the topic of Mewtwo. All they say is that "Mew gave birth to Mewtwo", so it's most likely an altered Mew fetus. Again, another misconception stemming from the anime.
>>
The alternative is to just have a good plot. If the game is good enough, then people will play it over and over. Theoretically, pokemon already has the base amount of choice that could possibly make a game interesting, and that is to try out different pokemon combination. However, I will also say that the game itself doesn't encourage that well enough. Then again, classic RPGs were pretty much the same way, in that you only have a specific party and it makes no difference what that party was. You could try out the others just to see what it was like, but it ultimately made no difference. It would be neat if there was an incentive for trying out different parties, though I'm not sure how to do it. The only thing I've seen in RPGs is that if you use a certain combination of characters enough, they will get stronger when used together. Pokemon doesn't have a system that is conducive to this. I don't think Gamefreak understands multi battles that well. I'm also not sure how people would take everything being forced multiples when pokemon has been mostly 1 v. 1 the whole time. The way the system has progressed, though, makes me feel the time has come for pokemon to no longer be about using one pokemon at a time.
>>
>>32539902
>Because Psychic types are immune to Ghost type moves in Gen I
Which was a glitch judging by the fact that NPCs mention Ghost being strong against Psychic and the anime following the same logic of type matchups.
>There's no mention of Giovanni being involved with Mewtwo in the games.
I never said he was. I said Team Rocket would be interested in capturing a rare and powerful pokemon.
> I'll also add that the games never mention cloning on the topic of Mewtwo
You're correct, but that doesn't really have anything to do with what I said either.
>>
>>32539941
That they would, but still nothing indicated that was what they were after. It would be speculation at best and cannot be proven.
>>
>>32539953
>It would be speculation at best and cannot be proven.
Yes exactly, that's what I find appealing about it, that it's never stated, but just hinted toward when you look at the bigger picture.
>>
>>32539204
>only thing remaining of his
>children
lel
>>
>>32540171
She's probably a cheating whore.
They obviously didn't inherit his tan.
>>
>>32540185
>inherit his tan
>american education
>>
>>32538745
Blue pill it is then, I perfer my stories not shoved down my throat
>>
>>32540189
If you thought that post was serious, you need to get out and interact with humans more.
>>
>>32540346
>implying there are humans on 4chan
we're all spoders here, right?
>>
>>32538354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc
>>
I wouldn't take any pill given to me by a nigger in a shoddy motel room
>>
>>32538426
These both suck. Just give me Gen I/II again. Mostly linear, but at a certain point you get some degree of freedom to move where you want. And minimal cutscenes.
>>
>>32538354
Blue blue blue blue
I'd take shitty Western style RPG Skyrim esque over gamefreaks shitty 2EMOTIONAL "" plot"" cutscene fest any day.
>>
>>32538354
>super saturated red
>full life sim with dating, jobs, social interactions, house customization, actual interaction with pokemon

>super super saturated red
>pokemon liberation is taken seriously and you play as a poke anarchist, using pokemon to commit terrorists acts. Involves stealth elements, deception and graphic violence, like extreme, gory mistreatment of pokemon. You die in the end but also set all of the pokemon free forever. You also get to pick a pokemon waifu who wants to explore his/her "individuality". Lots of themes about identity and the like.

>ultra super super saturated red
>blue pill except in space
>>
Heyyyyy whats good fellas?
>>
>>32543588
we're making weaponized autism ITT
>>
Blue, even if it means another Jhoto teir level curve. At least I don't feel hostage replaying Gen II
>>
>>32542522
I'll admit gen 1 through 3 were pretty good if you wanted to invent your own little storyline in your head and kind of RP your way through the game

However I do like how they're at least *trying* to establish narratives (and still not doing a really great job imo but they're limited by their targeted audience) for something different and more "thought provoking". Gen 7 really broke the ice with this and I hope they go balls to the wall rpg with 8.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.