[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there so much animosity held towards stalling? Shouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3467.png (51KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3467.png
51KB, 250x250px
Why is there so much animosity held towards stalling? Shouldn't it just be considered a technique in the grand scheme of things? The whole point of video game tactics and techniques is to find another one to overcome said tactic. Just seems like the competetive Pokémon scene is lazy.
>>
Theyre the same kind of people who get frustrated and angry when you use a defensive character in a fighting game or Jigglypuff in melee.

Not as flashy or fast paced but still an entirely viable tactic to win with.
>>
I think having one or two stalls is fine and perfectly healthy, but it starts getting bad when people have full teams of stall.
>>
>>32514098
cuz its gay!!
>>
because this board is made up of impatient children.
>>
>>32514111
That's why you have diversity in your team? If you can break one stall you should be able to break them all? Or at least always prepare yourself for more than one stall if it's so viable.
>>
They're the same people who get angry when you horde all the houses in monopoly
>>
>>32514098
Competitive people fucking OBSESS over speed, you think they will take kindly to something made to directly counter it?
>>
>>32514098
It's mostly just retards on /vp/ that build garbage teams that cannot break through defensive teams.
>>
m-muh HO
>>
>>32514118
Well the problem is anyting that breaks stall gets instantly b&
>>
Give me my Hoopa-Unbound. You can stall me as much as you like.
>>
>>32514109
One of my opponents in a Smash 4 tournament once complained to a judge that I (Villager) should be disqualified because I wasn't playing how you're meant to (he kept walking into trees)
>>
>>32514098
My main problem with stall is that it feels like a disproportionately high number of Smogon's bans are because a given Pokémon, an offensive threat, is so powerful that it makes stall difficult.
The Pokémon games are constantly moving towards more offensive and fast-paced play (Megas did a lot for that), and yet Smogon seem concerned with keeping stall being as viable as it used to be, and make a large number of bans to stop it changing.
>>
>Turn 308
>Skarmory used roost
>>
>>32514098
I just don't find it fun to play against. Call me ADD or whatever, I don't want to have a 3 hour pokemon battle. It's not even that I have trouble with stall (half my favorite pokemon happen to be stallbreakers), I just don't like it. I see a chansey, sableye, toxapex team and just sigh. I'm not playing this children's game of colorful cockfights for stall wars.
>>
>>32514098
The problem is threefold. One, stall is not fun to play against. Two, stall matches tend to last a very long time, compounding the first point. Three, Smogon continually focuses on banning the flashy offensive Pokemon that are "obviously" broken, but nothing is ever done to limit the fact that Stall is by far the most dominant playstyle in high level play - to the point where most of the players who made voting requirements just abused Stall to get there - because there is no equally "obvious" broken Pokemon in Stall teams to focus on.
>>
>>32514357
Yikes.
>>
>>32514838
/thread
>>
File: Mega_Sableye.png (138KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mega_Sableye.png
138KB, 400x480px
>>32514838
>there is no equally "obvious" broken Pokemon in Stall teams to focus on.
This is both true and untrue simultaneously.
There is a pokemon that is absolutely fine and perfectly balanced, when it isn't used on stall teams. However, it's so absurdly powerful on stall that it's single handedly responsible for stall being as dominant as it is, as evidenced by the fact that it's basically impossible to build a stall team without it. You're right, there is no one single pokemon that's broken on its own. Stall is strong because the typical stall mons cover each other so well that the only thing able to break through all of them are the "obviously broken" offensive mons, and those usually don't stick around for very long. The only other thing stall has to worry about is your opponent doing something that limits stall's most powerful tool, the ability to endlessly switch over and over and over and fucking over again until the end of time. However, luckily for stall, there's something they have access to that, just by existing, completely removes the need for stall to worry about that at all. If it was just Smogon getting rid of all the strong wallbreakers, stall would be manageable, and if it was just Sableye taking care of hazards, stall would be manageable. But these two together are what results in nothing being able to touch stall.
>>
>>325143571
>should be disqualified because I wasn't playing how you're meant to

Did the TO laugh him out of the fucking building?
>>
>>32514357
>>32514997

Ah fuck, where did that 1 come from

Gonna put it back where it belongs.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.