[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular Opinion Thread I think Charizard is the weakest design-wise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_4228.png (535KB, 900x592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4228.png
535KB, 900x592px
Unpopular Opinion Thread

I think Charizard is the weakest design-wise of the first three starters. That's not to say I hate him, I just don't think he was given enough, though it was the first generation, so I guess it's okay
>>
>>32509010
I honestly like fan games more than the actual games
>>
File: 62298780_p0.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
62298780_p0.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
I think fapping to Pokegirls is okay as long as one doesn't really try to do that kind of shit to real life little girls. Incidentally, I'm sure there are those who put characters like Olympia and Karen in the same spank-bank as Shauna and Lana's sisters without skipping a beat.
>>
>>32509010
>he
That's the problem.

THICC Dragon Best Dragon.
>>
File: 3lo7Osz3.jpg (42KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
3lo7Osz3.jpg
42KB, 480x480px
>>32509043
I enjoy a pokemon game with feels, thats why the PMD series and gen 5 are my favorite pokemon games.
>>
>>32509099
This desu
>>
I wish OLM tried making Mystery Dungeon titles into a 13 episode series.

Pokemon talking human words and carrying their own stories without trainers involved is a better idea than it sounds and I want more.
>>
I miss genwun anime eyes
>>
>>32509010
Equally unpopular opinion, but I think Zard was the pinnacle of Pokemon design. There was not a single unnecessary detail, there were enough creative liberties to make a dragon look truly unique and new, and every single part, from the "horns" to the tail to the claws, harmonized perfectly. You can't find a single flaw in the design.

If I didn't dislike Fire-types in general, or liked dragons more than knights, Zard might've been my favorite Pokemon.
>>
>>32509428
Yeah charizard is fresh af. You see him somewhere everyone knows what hes from, even with a million dragons in games/books/movies/ect out in the world.
>>
>>32509363
>>32509428
these
I wish they'd redesign the gen 4 and newer mons to fit the old style
>>
>>32509428
Agreed.
Not all Generation 1 Pokemon were designed like this, but a good number of them were. That's probably the only thing about Gen 1 I liked. Pokemon designs. Even a few Pokemon from later Generations fit the Gen 1 design, but this design philosophy is mostly just forgotten. Even the Mega Zards ignore that design philosophy and add unnecessary details that just don't wrok that well, like Zard X's shoulder spikes and Zard Y arm-wings.
>>
Yeah charizard's design sucked. A turtle with canons is awesome. Then we just have a dragon with nothing special and not even a dragon until it becomes dark and edgy in gen 6.
>>
>>32509084
How is this an unpopular opinion exactly?
>>
I actually like the newer object mons because of their silliness potential. I need keks, and they help
>>
File: 484_Iwata_Palkia.jpg (37KB, 300x325px) Image search: [Google]
484_Iwata_Palkia.jpg
37KB, 300x325px
I loved SM's story; the ending cutscene was just too long for me, that was the only problem cutscene wise

I couldn't care less about the battle frontier

Gladion is the best SM character

HGSS isn't as amazing as everyone says it is, pokewalkers were pretty boring/forgetful

I loved oras
>>
>>32509010
I liked BW more than BW2.

BW2 had more stuff to do and more Pokemon to choose from but the meh protag designs and meh story ruined it for me. BW's story had a lot of issues but I still really liked it.
>>
>>32509956
>Gladion is the best SM character
Not an unpopular opinion. One of the most popular opinions, in fact. He's the third most loved character in the games, after Lillie and Guzma.

I agree with everything on your list, though, except this one.
>>
>>32509010
>>32509628
I disagree with both. Charizard is a good design because it works for what it's supposed to be. It's simple yet iconic. Orange dragon = cool. However, I do think the Mega Zards improved the design a lot by adding a few more details without going overboard and making the design look ridiculous.

Charizard is my favorite mon, btw.
>>
I think Ledian makes a good sp wall.
>>
>>32509775
Normies flooding the site, unfortunately.
>>
>>32509010
I think gen 1 has the weakest designed starters overall. I dont really want to use them
>>
>>32509595

I'm glad you don't work for Game Freak
>>
File: frill.jpg (9KB, 217x250px) Image search: [Google]
frill.jpg
9KB, 217x250px
>>32509428
Honestly, this is exactly how I feel about heliolisk and salandit. All three have pretty simple but memorable designs and they get their point across flawlessly. Less is more.
>>
I think gen 6 was actually pretty good. Not great, but certainly not bad, imo.
>>
>>32509043
Which ones? Also, are you grouping fangames and hacks together
>>
>>32509111
This
Gen V is grossly underrated
>>
>>32509010
All gen 4 games are overrated.

Battle Frontier is overrated. I'd rather just have a bunch of new areas to explore. Getting smacked by the AI and RNG isn't fun or interesting.

Hoenn is the best region followed by Unova.

Dodrio is the best gen 1 bird in terms of design.

Ice-types don't need a buff.
>>
>>32510895
You have the worst taste. Congrats.
>>
>>32510920
The thread did ask for my unpopular opinions
>>
>>32509628
I think gen 1 and 2 were the only ones to have a lot of truly monstrous pocket monsters
Not just charizard, bit the Nidos, the other starters, kangaskhan, magmat jynx and electwbuzz, lickitung and rhydon and exeggcutor fail to exactly correlate to any specific real life animal and were instead based on general animals or a mix of disparate animals or exaggerated yokai, in future generations more pokemon were based explicitly on a specific species
>>
The newer pokemon designs in general are fine.

The gen VI-VII starter designs aren't over-designed or even overly humanoid, and would be much more liked if GF made them sometimes go around on all fours in official art to show they can and are animals at heart.

Incineroar is the best designed of the Gen VII starters. He could fit in older gens (II-IV) in terms of looks just fine and doesn't have unnecessary clothing or accessories tacked onto him. Do the all-fours bit mentioned above, and he's the cat starter/fire tiger everyone always wanted.

Game Freak is allowed shill mons and even shill starters, as long as they don't pull a Greninja. Charizard is prominent, for example, but I never see Blastoise or Venusaur dropped like hot potatoes or flat-out ignored the way Delphox and Chesnaught were. I'm hoping the Gen VII starters are treated fairly equally.

Sun/Moon were great in atmosphere and I enjoyed the story even if it was long in cutscenes. The characters were memorable in a good way.

Sinnoh remakes that eliminate Gen IV's slowness will propel them into instant classic status.

Anti-Genwunners are way more annoying than Genwunners, who are much more rare than people think. The only reason the first 151 are seen so much is because of both the pop culture "first installment wins" trope and Pokemania occurred in the first gen.

Game Freak has a solid foundation for battle gameplay, or else Pokemon wouldn't keep on being so big, but they need to balance individual mons a lot more. I'm fine with huge retcons and overhauls of stats for many mons and maybe certain buffs or nerfs in typing (Fairy getting a weakness to Psychic or Grass, Ice resisting Water, etc.). It's one thing for some OP pokemon or really versatile ones, but every mon should be useful or niche in some capacity.
>>
>>32512219
>and he's the cat starter/fire tiger everyone always wanted.
No. Just, no.
>>
I think the gen 6 starters are the best designed ones.
>>
I like Route 216.

It reminds me of where I live - cold, snowy, dark, empty, and depressing.
>>
>>32514239
I laughed.
>>
>>32509010
I care more about a Pokemon's usefulness in battle than its design
>>
File: mega_charizard.png (300KB, 768x599px) Image search: [Google]
mega_charizard.png
300KB, 768x599px
>>32509010
I honestly think Zard-Y improved upon Charizards design so much that I wish the original design was a middle ground between both.
First of all, the legs are less stumpy and seem more functional, while the overall figure is much more slender and aerodynamic.
That, combined with how they extended the belly color up to the jaw, makes the design much less bottom heavy and it actually gives the impression of a creature born to soar the skies.

Seriously, take Zard-Y, remove the arm wings, the middle horn and maybe the spikes at the end of the tail, and you pretty much got the perfect Charizard design.

>>32510895
I agree with everything except the ice types point.
Although just to be clear, I do love gen4 and the first battle frontier, I just think they're a bit overrated.
>>
>>32509010

I think most Megas look better than their original forms.
>>
Blastoise looks cooler than Wartortle.
>>
>>32516010
this as fuck
>>
I don't know how people can praise Gan 2's dex when half of the new Pokemon were just single-stage shitmons. Gen 4's cross evolutions helped a lot.
>>
>>32510895
You now remember Quick Claw/OHKO sets.
>>
>>32516010
I like the middle horn as a callback to Charmeleon though
>>
>>32509010
I think Tumblrina is the worst designed Pokemon.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.