[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Beat Chuck who has a Lv.30 Poliwrath and Jasmine who has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Johto_HGSS.png (442KB, 620x420px) Image search: [Google]
Johto_HGSS.png
442KB, 620x420px
>Beat Chuck who has a Lv.30 Poliwrath and Jasmine who has a Lv.35 Steelix
>The grunts at Team Rocket HQ have under Lv.20 Pokémon

I don't get it. Was I supposed to go to the Lake of Rage first? Johto is weird as fuck.
>>
>>32496722
Johto's level curve seems to flatten out entirely from right after Morty up until after the Radio Tower.
>>
>>32496722
>I don't get it. Was I supposed to go to the Lake of Rage first? Johto is weird as fuck.
It's because you can go either or. Pryce's Pokemon are around the same level as Jasmine.
>>
>>32496813
This. It's funny how Johto would have actually been better if it was more linear. It gives you the choice, but I've never seen anyone go through a different route from the one described in the OP.
Instead, everyone experiences the horrible level curve without even realizing that you can do 3 gyms (as well as the Radio Tower events) in the order you prefer.
>>
>>32496831
When I played through silver for the first time at like 11 or whatever, I did Jasmine > Pryce > Chuck
But only because I kept getting wrecked by Dizzy punch & water moves
>>
>>32496831
I've gone the Pryce way before heading west, because I didn't want to face all the trainers in wait when you leave Ecruteak.

I don't get why people are so critical of the level curve though, because I've always appreciated using the more lower leveled opponents to train up my more recent catches. I feel like people here only use 1 or 2 Pokemon or something.
>>
>>32496831
They could've just raised the levels of everyone so if you wanted a challenge you fought the Rocket Grunts and shit around Lake of Rage and if it was too much for you then you'd head over to Olivine.
>>
>>32496847
Because you end up with a lower experience yield in the end. It ends up being better to if you just used the Exp Share or switching out weaker mons against strong mons. In the end you end up with a piss-easy level curve that makes everything more boring up given the trainers near the area.
>>
>>32496831
I usually go to lake of rage first.
>>
>>32496863
I don't get it, what's the hurry in leveling up mons if the opponents aren't beyond a certain threshold? It sounds like inflation. If the game's level range ends up being 45, you don't need to be 60 or anything.
>>
When you get to Kanto in HG/SS is when the level curve really starts to even out.
>>
>>32496847
If they "fixed" the level curve by making some trainers stronger, couldn't they then make the wild Pokémon in those areas stronger to match? That way you wouldn't have to grind them as much.
>>
>>32496891
I don't get what you're trying to say here.
>>
>>32496928
Sure they could, but like I was saying to the other guy, why is higher more important for you? It's like a fraction where whatever you do to the top (trainers) you'd do to the bottom (encounters). 20/20 = 35/35

I prefer keeping things lower in level in general because the opposite is more annoying, like when you have to deal with evolving a Larvesta or a Zweilous.
>>
>>32496962
Imagine the level curve in the game is such that you're expected to have Lv 90 mons by the end. Why have that when you can be expected to have Lv 40 mons by the end? I'm saying you don't need to overlevel or try to get anywhere beyond the game's expectations, because you're just playing out the game and that's it. Leveling mons to Lv 100 is almost always just for the sake of personal fulfillment and doesn't do anything within the realm of the story.
>>
>>32496999
>Imagine the level curve in the game is such that you're expected to have Lv 90 mons by the end.
Then the game should be designed in such a way that the player should be able to easily reach that level in a reasonable amount of time or at the very least provide enough variety in the content to make that time enjoyable rather than repetitive and tedious.
In any case I fail to see what your point is here.
>>
File: 1485377023648.jpg (36KB, 241x403px) Image search: [Google]
1485377023648.jpg
36KB, 241x403px
>>32496722
It was Game Freak's attempt at being "open ended". Meaning they had to take into account that different people could take different routes and had to make everything equal as a result. So you get a game that's level curve flattens out halfway through Johto. Everyone I knew always went left then right after all it makes sense, Chuck and Jasmine are 5th and 6th while Price is 7th. You get Fly in Cianwood so it saves you the backtracking there's no real reason to have the Lake of Rage accessible before then other than just having the ability to tackle it first.
>>
>>32496999
What does that have to do with what I'm saying? Sure, you can grind up a lower leveled mon on those shit-tier trainers but not everyone is going to do that and if you already have a reasonable team by the time you get there (and if you go Chuck->Jasmine) you'll be forced to go through boring battles. This is kind of similar to the "turn Exp Share off" thing, actually.
>>
>>32497049
>Then the game should be designed in such a way that the player should be able to easily reach that level in a reasonable amount of time
Exactly. Johto's level goal is lower, so heightening the levels would only escalate where you need to end up.

>at the very least provide enough variety in the content to make that time enjoyable rather than repetitive and tedious.
This happens in every single Pokemon mainline game though. There are always several battles you want to skip.

The point is Johto's level goal was much lower than, say, Unova's. But it didn't matter for its time. I feel like people prefer the higher leveled end goals because they have a tendency to overlevel and grind when there's little need to.
>>
>>32496908
So. You have to play about 50% of the game to get to the challenge? Tell me again why HG/SS are great games.
>>
>>32497084
>but not everyone is going to do that
That's what I'm making an observation about -- it feels like people only use 1 or 2 overleveled/overexposed mons and complain their Lv 40 Feraligatr is only going up a thirtieth of the Exp bar for beating a Lv 25 Spearow.

If you have a reasonable team by then, you very likely grinded, at which point you had in mind to be overleveled anyway and accepted that you were going to steamroll opponents.
>>
>>32497140
In that case, I'll acknowledge your point.
>>
Johto is shit! SHIT!
>>
>>32497162
Thank you.

I have this one friend who especially infuriates me about this, especially since she's an experienced player and knows what she's doing yet still does it and still complains. I played through Sun with my in-game caught team and had a good challenge vs. the Elite Four and against Kukui, with things getting pretty intense, so I had fun. She on the other hand traded for all of her Pokemon and grinded like no tomorrow as soon as she got them, so her exp on her team was obviously very high and she streamrolled everyone and called the run/fights boring.

What people don't understand is Game Freak can't accommodate everyone's different approaches to the game, so some people will call it boring and some people will call it just right and other people will purposely avoid calling the game hard to protect their ego/shield from criticism and instead call certain things annoying. Even if they made the game harder, the people who like to grind will adapt to it and grind harder and steamroll it again. Challenges are pointless because people can look things up online now, and again, some will deflect and just call them annoying/a chore instead of acknowledging difficulty.
>>
>>32497238
>Even if they made the game harder, the people who like to grind will adapt to it and grind harder and steamroll it again.
Which is where the distinction between tedium and difficulty comes in. Needless to say in it's current state pokemon is going to be easy regardless of if you grind or not. Well, not in your case as it seems.

Anyway, what needs to happen is an actual difficulty setting that changes the AI and movesets considerably. That's the major problem with the difficulty in Pokemon the AI players always make boneheaded moves over and over again which is precisely what makes the game dull to anyone over 5 especially since they've taken to removing features that provide variety nowadays.
>>
>>32497331
I understand that there needs to be some chance in pokemon but the AI roulette really needs to get better. I was playing Emerald a couple of weeks ago and one of the trainers sent out a Shroomish against my Liquid Ooze Gulpin. It kept using Absorb rather than Tackle against it to the point where it actually KO'd itself on Liquid Ooze damage.
>>
>>32497363
Shedinja breaks parts of the game because if a trainer doesn't have a Pokemon whose typing is SE against it they'll never switch out when it comes out. You can send out Shedinja against Wallace's Wailord and he'll sit in place doing absolutely nothing to you while you use X-items to boost up and then sweep.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.