[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how is pvp in pokemon? is good? i have never played against another

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1469438602633.jpg (179KB, 500x510px) Image search: [Google]
1469438602633.jpg
179KB, 500x510px
how is pvp in pokemon? is good? i have never played against another human being in a pokemon game so im rather curious.

what is needed to become the very best like no one ever was?
>>
>>32460692
Trash. Can't be played casually, everything is infested by Mega Fug and friends. If you play competitively, you'll need to learn how to optimize your pokemon and THEN maybe they'll let you in. VGC is the world's biggest joke, run by incompetents and easily exploited by just doing one thing differently from everyone else. Smogon will depend on the ladder you choose, but either choice will put you in a land where nothing but a handful of pokemon will ever be seen.
>>
>>32460692
You mean 3v3 and 6v6?

In Battle Spot Singles is 3v3, 6v6 are not allowed.

You can battle against real humans in 6v6 battles, inGen 6 you can also ask 6v6 battles to passerbies, I don't know if you can ask 6v6 to Festival Plaza guests.
>>
>>32460730
This guy has never played competitive pokemon OP he's just reciting memes.

Just lurk more you'll figure shit out eventually.

Pokemon showdown is a great way to learn as well
>>
Take your in-game team and go to the Plaza, then Battle, then Battle Spot. Pick Free Battle, then Singles, and disallow Special Pokemon.

See how you fair. That's PVP.

You'll probably get your shit slapped, which is fine. We all start somewhere. No look up how to get good IVs, good EVs, and some nice movesets for Pokemon you like. Get better. Once you start winning occassionally, go to Ranked Battles and start climbing the ladder.

Have fun. It can be a good time.
>>
>>32460692
>how is pvp in pokemon? is good? i have never played against another human being in a pokemon game so im rather curious.
Depends on whether you like the mechanics of the game and are prepared to waste countless hours learning the ins and outs of the metagame. It can get quite interesting if you understand how it works and I personally enjoy watching VGC streams.
There sadly isn't really a casual mode of pvp in this game except maybe randoms on showdown. It's either git gud or bust, which is a pretty high barrier to entry.

>what is needed to become the very best like no one ever was?
A lot of (preferably autistic) knowledge of the current meta, and mad prediction skills/mind games.
>>
>>32461122
>A lot of (preferably autistic) knowledge of the current meta, and mad prediction skills/mind games.
I don't think that's really a prerequisite. I think it's more something you gain over time. As long as you're thinking during your battles (about what worked, what didn't, what you should have done instead, what the biggest threats to your team are, why your opponent is doing what they're doing), you'll gain that autistic knowledge over time.

I think that the best way to start is to just throw a team together and give it your best shot. Either you'll git gud or realize you don't like the competitive scene.

Skipping the phase of researching everything ad nauseum might cut down on the number of bad players with cookie cutter teams.
>>
>>32461122
If that isn't enough, there is also the barrier of getting good Pokemon (aka breeding/soft resetting), and if your team doesn't work anymore due to metagame trends or you just not feeling the team, you have to breed more.

QR teams exist to alleviate the problem a little, but you can't change anything you don't like. Shit like this just make more people wiling to inject stuff, so if you don't like people with perfect and shiny shit, it can be a problem.
>>
>>32461283
>having trouble breeding good mons
I can breed a team of 5iv mons from scratch in, like, 2 days. Turn on a show and start hatching eggs. It's not even hard, just a little time consuming.

Fuck soft reseting legendaries, though. I can't stand that.
>>
File: 1479266893443.png (102KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
1479266893443.png
102KB, 450x443px
>>32460692
I think it's pretty fun!

My only two gripes are that you will be punished for using suboptimal pokemon in higher brackets of play, and in that same vein of thinking there is a lot less diversity in those same higher tiers.

That said, most people never reach that point so it's pretty much a moot point.

One thing that you really need to accept when you start: EVERY time you jump up to a new tier of play, you WILL lose a few matches. That's just how it goes until you learn the "meta" and rebuild your team or your strategy.

When you start, you can use pretty much anything as long as you have a plan. There's pretty much no difference between low rating players and casuals. Hell, it feels like most of them just grab their biggest or strongest looking pokemon and just dive in with no strategy.

Nobody predicts. Half of them don't have a strategy. Even less than that take the time to breed perfect mons or learn how to gen.

In the mid tiers is where you'll start facing competent players who, while not bad, are just not as good as the higher tier players. Once you reach this point, you'll want to look into "team cores", breeding, and IV/EV distribution.

If you like strategizing and trying out new things,if you aren't afraid to get knocked down, go for it.

If you're gonna grab your favorite pokemon and beat your face on increasingly more skilled opponents until you're wallowing in Rating Hell with the invalids and the 10 year olds...well, whatever makes you happy.
>>
Pokemon is literally just rng anyway, barely takes any skill.
>>
>>32461310
Doesn't change the fact that it is a wall preventing people from getting into competitive properly.
>>
>>32461310
>>32463217
inb4 bottle caps.
>it's to hard to get bottle caps REEE!
If competitive pokemon was easy everyone would do it.
If you honestly want to get into competitive then you have to want to. Getting bottle caps honestly isn't that hard if you know what your doing.
>>
>>32460692
I hate pvp in Pokemon. I can't even use my favorites because some faggots with hacked shiny legendary teams will keep wiping the floor with my team unless I use the specific "good" Pokemon.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.