[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk typing. I don't mean competitively, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: sticker,375x360.u1.png (28KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
sticker,375x360.u1.png
28KB, 375x360px
Let's talk typing.

I don't mean competitively, or in-game, or in terms of gameplay at all.

I mean what types don't really make sense. Or should be combined with another. Or removed, or renamed.

I'd say normal type should be retconned to null type. Normal implies default, instead of "no" type, like it should.
>>
>>32395661
Let's talk egg groups.

I don't mean for breeding, or in-game, or in terms of gameplay at all.

I mean what egg groups don't really make sense. Or should be combined with another. Or removed, or renamed.

I'd say water 1, 2 and 3 egg groups should be retconned to amphibian, fish-like and invertebrate respectively. Water implies default, instead of "the pokemon's biology", like it should.
>>
>>32395661
Flying should be renamed Wind or Air-type.
>>
>>32395661
I think rock should be renamed as mineral. Ground too with "Earth" but not as much.
>>
>>32395735
i disagree

>>32395676
there's no place in the game that refers to egg groups by name, how did these names even become standardized?
>>
I think Electric should be renamed Thunder. Electric sounds boring and is harder to type. Thunder sounds more explosive.
>>
>>32395806
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>32395735
>>32395759
Add an air type. Look at flying type already, it doesn't possess any "air" elemental Pokémon just things that can fly like birds. An air type could be somewhat distinct maybe idk
>>
>>32395944
you literally described tornadus
>>
>>32395951
I'm aware that he fits that description more, but what other flying type really does? Maybe the rest of the genies and altaria? Compared to how many flying types there are?
>>
Remove Flying and make birds Wind.

Pidgeot Normal/Wind
Fearow Dark/Wind (maybe)
Dodrio Normal
Farfetch'd Fighting/Wind
etc
>>
>>32395806
I think you're joking.

I HOPE you're joking.
>>
>>32396156
>what other flying type really does
Drifloon, Drimblim, Swablu, Altaria, Thundurus, Landorus, and arguably Rayquaza.
>>
I'd change Flying with Air. It makes more sense.

Also Fairy is pretty dumb, I'd call it Magic.
>>
File: Nuckelavee.jpg (65KB, 1000x953px) Image search: [Google]
Nuckelavee.jpg
65KB, 1000x953px
>>32398409
I think Fairy is perfectly fine. I feel like Magic as the name would be too restrictive, whereas Fairy can describe magical fairy tale beings, folkloric monsters, and everything in between, including magic.
>>
>>32398409
Psychic is magic/cosmos type
steel is light/metal type

Personaly I would merge ground and rock, and make it immune to normal.
>>
Ah, the types. I've thought long and hard about this. Honestly, the idea of "types" is rather ridiculous to start with. If you're going to have a power that is always going to overcome another, your system, even if you have it so it is equally weak to the same number of things, is imbalanced. It all has to do with physics. If all the forces are to be equal, then none can be more powerful than the others. This also means that in no condition, not even a specific one, can one "type" always overcome another. One can argue that by leveling, this trait can be expressed in pokemon. They can become powerful enough that their weaknesses become meaningless. I say it still exists even if it's been made trivial. I cannot condone one power always being able to overcome another, but the idea of there being specific kinds of powers is supported by actual physics, it's just not the forces you think of for this. I also don't find it to be an adequate system for classifying things since there is a a lot of blurring involved.

Now I could forget all that just for the sake of playing around with it, but I still for the most part don't think this whole rock, paper, scissors thing should be a feature. Pokemon does feature a lot of the powers intrinsic to fantasy, just some of them have been renamed. The following, I don't think are a "power" at all: fairy, dragon, and bug. These are more of a classification than their own power. The rest, there is some debate on if they should be their own power and some should be merged, but there are various ideas on that, and it would ultimately be mitigated by the original idea of the four elements in general: that they can all be merged into just four "types". While that can be done, I find the idea that they are separate to be more prevalent, so I often go with that. That being said, there are still some of pokemon's types that I definitely don't think should be their own power.
>>
>>32398595
Yeah wtf is bug even supposed to mean as far as typing goes? Aren't the typings the elements that the pokemon most easily calls upon in combat? And if typings are elements from which power can be drawn what the fuck is bug doing as an element?
>>
>>32398499
I didn't like the name FAIRY at first but I've grown used to it. MAGIC or ARCANE would be the ones had I decided it.

>>32398595
>>32398622
I don't think we're ever getting a change in the typing system, but here it goes:

Pokémon could have a different system that works similar to old Fire Emblem's (I haven't played the newer ones) which is a separate triangle for attack types and elements.
In FE, we have Swords > Axes > Lances > Swords. There is also a triangle between Magic types (Light > Dark > Anima > Light) and inside Anima (Elemental magic) there is Wind > Thunder > Fire > Wind.

We could have a SPECIES system, where could put Bug and Dragon pokémon, as well as Grass (pokémon made of plants), Mineral (Rock pokémon, maybe Ice and Steel types too), Ethereal (Ghost pokémon would be here, as well as mons such as Castform). This system would define which Weaknesses and Resistances each Pokémon have (basically the defensive aspect).

For attacking, we could have a "real" elemental system, which would include Normal (without any element), Fire, Water, Poison, Electric, Psychic, Ice, Dark and Fairy. We could also add Wind and an Earth element.
>>
>>32398595
Rock and Ground are obviously Earth. Steel could be said to be a part of this, too. As much as people speak of Fighting as channeling chi energy, I still find it to be a non-typed power, and thus Normal. Not to mention if you think that, then chi energy could also be Ghost.

If asked, I would say Fire, Water, Ice, Air, Electric, Psychic, Earth, and Plant (Grass) are the only proper types there are. I know there is a school of thought for the existence of soul energy, which is Ghost, but I am unsettled by the idea of this power, and if it actually existed, then it would practically make you a god able to decide life and death and even to control others. I properly find this phenomenon to be a mix of energies that is too complex for a human-like frame of reference to comprehend. Poison, in pokemon, and perhaps other things, is something that is half classification and half power. It isn't something I normally think of as a power, per se. Not to mention that like soul power, it is heavily associated with death, only this can be overcome. I just cannot see it as a power. Dark, I never considered a power, not for anything. Most of the time, it is some malevolent force that opposes all the other element. For me, "evil" is not it's own power. All elements have equal capability of being used for good or evil. Shadow, or Darkness, also does not exhibit any characteristics of a force. As much as other things do, I refuse to count it as an element.

Even the 8 I listed above have some discrepancies, such as the eternal debate that is Ice, both that there is no such thing as "cold", and if properly treated as solid water, then it should just be Water. Again, there is a school of thought that these could be trimmed down to just four elements. All of these are usually considered their own powers, so I kept them that way. I do not consider any of them to be more powerful than others, nor do I believe they should always overcome another element.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.