[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fragile as fuck >can't take a bump >shitty version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 10

File: typhlosion_by_xous54.png (96KB, 450x518px) Image search: [Google]
typhlosion_by_xous54.png
96KB, 450x518px
>fragile as fuck
>can't take a bump
>shitty version of Charizard

Is this the worst starter?
>>
Meganium is worse.
>>
>rock slide
lolbye charitard
>>
>>32323742
Is there a lazier kind of shitpost than this
>>
>>32323735
Feraligatr is the worst
>>
The one I don't like is the worst!
>>
>>32323745
Yeah, the one that OP made
>>
>>32323723
ERUPTION
>>
>>32323746
Torterra is the worst
>>
>>32323773
Ejacasm is the worst.
>>
>>32323783
Sadrog is the worst
>>
>>32323745
The Torterra ones desu.
>>
>>32323723
>Is this the worst starter

Not when Gen 7 exists.
>>
in it's gen, it's good. So no, there are worse ones.
>>
>>32323723
Why exactly does this thing have the same stats as charizard
>>
>>32323849
Yeah but it's gen is irrelevant now and it's garbage outside of anything before gen 4.
>>
>>32323723
It's not, but its close. Only worse ones are Emboar and Meganium.
>>
>>32323861
>tfw GF hates the johto starters
>>
>>32323723
TORTERRRA SUCKS ASS WTF ARE YOU DOING TORTERRAFAGS AND GEN 4 FAGGOTS ARE THE WORST WITH THEYR STUIPUD GROTLE XDDDD
>>
>>32323881
Johto is only Kanto's expansion pack, it doesn't count as a region of its own :^)
>>
File: torterrafags.png (6KB, 500x66px) Image search: [Google]
torterrafags.png
6KB, 500x66px
>>32323723
>>32323773
>it's a Torterrafag got mad episode
>>
>>32323723
thats not a delphox
>>
>>32323746
Absolute shittiest taste detected.
>>
>>32323947
>it doesn't count as a region of its own
unlike ur mums puss
>>
File: 1470273206892.png (143KB, 640x479px)
1470273206892.png
143KB, 640x479px
>>32323947
>new pokemon
>new region
>new gyms
>new legendaries
>new professor
>new fucking cartridges for the games
>I-Its just an expansion pack!
Is this autism at its highest level?
>>
>>32323723
Delphox and Samurott exist
>>
File: IMG_1408.jpg (39KB, 602x757px)
IMG_1408.jpg
39KB, 602x757px
Typhlosion is actually the best starter, the shitty taste of this board astounds me.
>>
>>32323723
If you're talking competitively, it's a very good and underrated mon. Specs Eruption with Dugtrio in the back makes an incredible offensive core. This is with respect to ORAS, since Sun/Moon has a lot of banning to do before it reaches any semblance of balance.

>252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-Wash: 152-179 (50.1 - 59%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
But I think Modest is better since 100 Speed tier isn't as valuable to max out.
e.g.
>252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 204-240 (48.9 - 57.5%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

Dugtrio addresses Chansey, Tyranitar, Heatran, etc. Things like Vaporeon and bulky Restalk phys def Goo.dra would be the go-to to disrupt this.
>>
You forgot
>special attacker
>special movepool is shit
Typhlosion needs a Mega that's more physically oriented

>>32324003
>getting baited this easily
m8...
>>
>>32323723
Not as long as Incineroar is a thing
>>
>>32324003
Wow, that was extremely obvious bait. How did you even fall for that?
>>
>>32324063
No it's not, it's fucking shit. You're delusional if you think Typhlosion anything close to good.
>>
Because people who's favourite is gen 2 aren't little whiny cunts, unlike the gen 1/3fags who complain their autism starter monster wasn't viable.
>>
>>32324003
>which an expansion pack would add
>literally Kanto's backyard
>they're only warmup to the real gyms
>which an expansion pack would add
>Oak is still the main professor
>hardware limitation
>yes
>>
>>32324360
breddy gud but you really can't be taken seriously after the first post no matter how hard you damage control
2/10
>>
Fire/Ground
HP: 78
Attack: 124 (+40)
Defense: 83 (+5)
Sp. Atk: 129 (+20)
Sp. Def: 100 (+15)
Speed: 120 (+20)
Adaptability.

252 Atk Adaptability Typhlosion Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 254-300 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

did i saved it?
>>
>>32324189
Why? Because you say so? I just provided objective calcs that relay its damage capabilities. Repeatedly insulting it just makes you look delusional.
>>
>>32324573
>RU
>good
>>
>>32324226
Who are you trying to fool? People who like gen 2 starters complain all the damn time about it.
>waah Typhlosion is so shit
>waah Meganium is so bad
>waah Feraligatr is Gyarados 0.5
etc
>>
>>32324517
>increasing it's Sp. Atk
wherefore
>>
>>32324063
I think he'd be better in SM actually if only because of anti-priority and Tapi Fini Defog. ORAS' meta has bravest bird and priority everywhere and once Eruption is gone Typhlosion is a lot more neutered.
>>
>>32324591
The problems with people like you and a good deal of the people on Showdown are (1) you're sheep that shit on things and only accept them when a recognized name/group popularizes them and (2) you think usage translates to a measure of success.

Pheromosa was one of the less threatening mons in OU compared with things like Mega Metagross and Tapu Lele but its suspect was rushed because of names at the top being too stubborn to adapt. It has a wide variety of Fairy, Poison, and Ghost switch-ins but you and this stubborn player base try to listen to what's already in place instead of trying new things or adapting. If you actually did you'd see how underrated many mons can be.

>>32324630
You'd play it like Mega Medicham in ORAS, where you pivot into it as much as possible to get off big hits. I think it'll be better in SM once a lot of the faster threats are gone, but for the time things like Y's access to Tailwind may be more enticing than Typhlosion not occupying a Mega slot.
>>
>>32323746
>sheer force DDer
are you fucking drunk
>>
>>32324028
>Delphox
Not even close. Delphox can pull off like 5 viable sets.
>Samurott
Worst Water starter sure, but it at last it has the movepool and workable offenses to hit every Grass type in the game super effectively. Above utter shit.
>>
>>32324649
I see. I haven't played much of competitive since gen 5 so I'm only making assumptions based on what I've seen.
>>
>>32324649
I don't actually play on Showdown, haven't seen Gen V, but here's the thing. Smogon hated Charizard in Gen V (insert SR joke here) but as soon as it started rekting shit in XY, it climbed right to OU. Competitive players try to get as big an advantage as they can and if a pokemon is good, they will use it more. Typhlosion being down there isn't because they shit on it, it's because it's outclassed badly by a lot of other pokemon.
>>
>>32324649
>it's a literal who on 4chan thinks he knows better than dozens of confirmed high elo players and the OU council episode
yeah, you tell em
>>
>>32324694
>>it's a literal who on 4chan thinks he knows better than dozens of confirmed high elo players and the OU council episode
>confirmed high elo players
You should have confirmed mine.

And I do tell them. I made this non-OU team with 1 mon from each gen without any type overlap last gen to make a point.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-476932878

The OU Council is lazy and out of touch. They forewent the other threats and went with Duggy as an early suspect because of nagging from people like ABR when it wasn't a problem.

>>32324685
They still dislike Charizard. They just like its Mega, which is treated as a different mon, hence tiering differences. And again, that's the point I'm addressing with the team here -- it's really not that black and white.
>>
>>32324758
BTFO
>>
>>32324758
what point are you even trying to make with that oras replay?

>The OU Council is lazy and out of touch.
True, but the people who vote are not. I agree that Mosa and especially Duggy shouldn't have been suspected before garbage like lele and ninja but you're kidding yourself if you think Mosa wouldn't have gotten banned at some point in the future anyway.
>>
>>32324758
>under 1600 babbies thinking they matter
cute
>>
>>32324873
he's above 1800 though
>>
>>32324896
I saw a 1400 there, so I assumed it was a cripple fight rather than him beating up on a cripple.
>>
>>32324841
>what point are you even trying to make with that oras replay?

I hope you're not faking your own confusion or being obtuse on purpose given the context of our discussion. It's showing that shitted on mons are completely successful even at high level if you know how to play them, which is why when I say Typhlosion is good and underrated, it's because I know how it should be played to come out on top despite what populates the meta at the time.

>True, but the people who vote are not. I agree that Mosa and especially Duggy shouldn't have been suspected before garbage like lele and ninja but you're kidding yourself if you think Mosa wouldn't have gotten banned at some point in the future anyway.
The people who vote aren't the ones who decided the suspect. We don't get to choose our choice of suspect. We're on the same page about that since I never said it wouldn't be brought up for questioning sometime down the road, I'm just disillusioned at the bullshit ordering of suspects.
>>
>>32324925
>>
>>32324925
>ctrl f 1400
>nothing

just admit you didn't bother clicking the link and smugly tried to dismiss the quality of the battle on its face
>>
>>32324930
Out of curiosity, who do you think should be suspected next?
>>
>>32323735
Ass taste
>>32323746
And great taste detected
>>
>>32324984
Mega Metagross should have been the first to be suspected.

It metagrossly compromises defensive play given its only surefire switch-in is Mega Scizor. Hippowdon is too close to a 3HKO to be security from Mash boosts, Ice Punch freezes, and Zen flinches. Phys. Def. Tangrowth is a very temporary answer for the same reason. Electric Terrain-backed Thunder Punch lets Mega Metagross break older solutions like Skarmory and Slowbro should it peek its head back out.
>>
>>32324604
For the same reason Mgard got an attack boost
>>
>>32323723
It's not a gen 6 high school furry mascot, so no.
>>
>>32323746
>having taste this shit
>>
File: disgrace.png (122KB, 476x345px)
disgrace.png
122KB, 476x345px
>>32325017
Your ancestors must be ashamed.
>>
It has a cool design so no. That would be meganium
>>
>>32325024
What about Lele? You seem to be pretty gud at this, so got any suggestions on how to git gud?
>>
>>32326100
Lele needs to go too, either right after Mega Metagross or right after Greninja who's right after Mega Metagross. Lele's switch-ins boil down to temporarily out AV mons, Alolan Muk, Magearna, SpDef Celesteela, and SpDef Jirachi. Heatran and Mega Metagross are soft answers. Things like Chansey can come in depending on the set.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
My advice is to get familiar with calcs if you want to be good. Make custom EV spreads because you know what suits your mons -- I scrutinize all of my mons' EV spreads to be sure each bit is necessary or change it. Usually at least half of my teams have custom EVs.

Also, watch others battle, so you can get a feel for how players think. When you reach a certain level, the flow of play can be perceived as very linear from both sides, since both sides know what the optimum move is. Being able to deviate from that flow to your advantage is when you know you're gud, especially when you start gauging each others' risk-reward breakdown and make plays based on that.

For example, my Aerodactyl was able to put in work against my opponent's Scizor and Zapdos because I knew he knew I wanted to preserve my Aero, so I EQ'd on the Scizor's non-Bullet Punch since I expected a Pursuit. I also clicked Pursuit on his Zapdos despite it being in the red zone with Stealth Rock up because I weighed in that he would want to save death fodder for later. We both knew it would be fainted regardless, but I controlled when it would, because I could, rather than giving him that potential concession.
>>
>>32323723
Nah its Meganium

Typhlosion at least has Eruption spam as a gimmick. Meganium has...nothing. Its like they tried to make her for girls but Meganium has bored me since forever. At least feraligatr is a total bro type and Typhlosion is sorta handsome/cute...Meganium has...nothing. Not even a hidden ability.
>>
my choice specs modest typhlosion with 3 HMs and flamethrower was pretty gud in my last heartgold run
>>
>>32324649

>only accept them when a recognized name/group popularizes them

People accept them when there's evidence that they're good. If you can prove something isn't a shitmon through high ladder or SPL play (as what happened to Pyukumuku and Bronzong), Smogon will accept it.

And people tried, for months, to adapt to Pheromosa. But every time, Pheromosa adapted back.
>>
>>32324659
Not really Delphox is now outclassed even in its tier, NU. All of its 'sets' mean shit when all others do the job better.

Delphox is one of the worst, but Meganiun is worse.
>>
its only viable niche in higher tiers is scarf or specs eruption, but things like hydreigon can do the things it does too but with better typing, coverage and more reliable damage
>>
>>32327303
pheromosa wouldnt be that strong with less options
look at xurkitree
its good but fairly predictable
pheromosa can be QD, scarf, physical, special and the stats make the plethora of sets it can run dangerous
look at buzzwole
it has as many options but can bypass its weaknesses as easily due to being more defensive
>>
>>32327317
>All of its 'sets' mean shit when all others do the job better.
Yeah, this is the crux of the issue. At the end of the day, pokemon is a zero-sum game. If one pokemon can't do anything better than a lot of pokemon, that makes it a bad pokemon, even if it can do some things reasonably well.
>>
>>32327317
>Delphox
>NU
????
>>
>>32324063
>Typhlosion
>good
End this meme. The Speed has it outclassed by too many things, it's too frail to take hits, barely has any coverage, the damage output it way too low for anything but Eruption, has to use Specs just to make use Eruption, and Eruption gets cucked by anything faster, anything that resists it, anything with a little defenses, and SR. There's hundreds of Pokemon that can do its job much better.
>>
>>32326981
Your opinion about Ash-Gren?
>>
>>32323735
This. It's just a stupid green dinosaur with a flower around its neck and it's worst starter competitively.
>>
>>32327505
>There's hundreds of Pokemon that can do its job much better.
It IS the best Eruption user.
>>
>>32327716
And Eruption is just a hard hitting move. Nothing special. Its job isn't to use Eruption. It is to deal damage.
>>
>>32327764
It is special tho anon
>>
>>32327764
Inferno Overdrive always has 200 power with Eruption, so Eruption can still be useful at low health. Imagine that combined with Blaze
>>
>>32327803
Inferno Overdrive requires it to not use Specs, rather have a Z-Crystal. Which will result in lower damage output. Fire Blast Inferno Overdrive can do almost the same damage. Eruption barely matter there.
>>
>>32327784
Yes, it is especially shit, since it can be weakened with common entry hazards, faster Pokemon, and priority moves. All of which you will encounter in every battle.
>>
>>32327889
>joke

>head
>>
>>32327443
Yes, it is NU by usage according to RU stats, literally nobody uses it anymore (it has less usage than freaking luxray) it is now quite outclassed and overall mediocre in SM RU... you'll see it officially once SM NU debuts as a tier in a few days.
>>
>>32323723
Meganium is the worst
>>
>>32323723
My timid typhlosion sends your team [eruption and] regards.
>>
>>32323854
Game Freak didn't think people would be so observant to notice it back in Gen 2 times.

That or they didn't know what kind of stat spread to give to a flaming honey badger.
>>
>>32323723
Nah, Incineroar will always be the worst.
>>
>>32328061
You mean Decidueye. Corrected it for you, anon.
>>
>>32328061
>>32328075
F
>>
>>32327303
People still refuse to accept them when there's evidence, because it's a matter of choosing whose evidence you validate. The fact of the matter is people have self-doubts until a team is laid out on a platter in a pastebin or shown off in a video.

Buzzwole is a perfect current example of this. I've been using defensive Buzzwole and it's been doing wonders for me. Yet Buzzwole is falling in viability rankings because people just spam the Sub Focus Punch set which is all they perceive to be good since it was shown off in a video.

Pheromosa has Jellicent, Clefable, Mantine, Toxapex, Buzzwole, Alolan Marowak, Volcarona, Tapu Fini, SpDef Buzzwole, and many more things that come in on it. It may be a problem overall but it's nowhere near as dire as the other threats of the tier.

>>32327505
Did you even read the calcs? Those were resists. It has Focus Blast for things like Heatran and Tyranitar, while HP Ice or Rock or whatever you feel is important can deal with other switch-ins.

>>32327614
Ash-Greninja isn't that much of a problem on paper since it needs to get a kill and can't run move tutor moves. The reason Greninja in general is a huge threat is you don't know which one it is between Protean and Battle Bond, since it can change your switch-ins drastically. I rely on Mantine a lot, which covers both, so I'm not bothered by it unless it starts flinching me to death (which has actually happened like twice).
>>
I hope gf not drop Megas when dp remakes come around Hoenn and sinnoh starters never got the Megasthey need.
>>
File: 1486990723829.jpg (120KB, 992x742px) Image search: [Google]
1486990723829.jpg
120KB, 992x742px
>>32323723
it's the comfiest one and that's all that matters
>>
>>32323763
this.
eruption is OP. good speed means few can break it.
>>
>>32327764
>hard hitting is not dealing damage
>>
>>32324649

What's your Showdown ELO?

Your entire argument so far this thread is worthless unless you can take what you're saying is good and prove it in practice. It's very easy to sit on the sidelines and pretend you know better than the entire population of the most established competitive Pokemon community on the planet, but chances are you have either a) never laddered because hurr durr Smogon sucks or b) have laddered, but have never had any actual recognised success or made it notably far up, but have such a high degree of ignorance that you think you know better anyway.

Feel free to prove me wrong and completely own me by posting even a single replay of you using Typhlosion in a high ELO match against another high ELO player. You won't, because you can't, but the opportunity is there if you want to stop looking like an ignorant retard.
>>
>>32328780
Dude, read the thread, I did post a replay. Not of Typhlosion but of an even stronger message.
>>
>>32324969
>http://pokemonshowdown.com/users/ryournakabuto
>Elo 1435
>>
File: 6cb.jpg (24KB, 480x724px)
6cb.jpg
24KB, 480x724px
all the genwunners in this thread
>>
>>32328863
>what is decay
>sticking to 1 account
>thinking a player's current Elo is supposed to always reflect the achievement of a replay decided to be shared
>going out of the way to go to the user page instead of skipping to the end of the battle

It's just a bad idea all around.
>>
>>32324028
>Not liking Samurott

Plebian taste
>>
>>32328706
Is Ash-Gren worth thr A+ rank?
>>
>>32328706
>it can deal damage so it is good
That's not how it works. Literally every Pokemon can do damage. A fucking Magikarp can sweep teams with Mega Fug and Primal Groudon under right conditions. What decides a Pokemon's worth is how it compares to others. You're better off using a fucking Simisear than Typhlosion. Give it Focus Stash and use Nasty Plot. It will do more damage than a Choice Specs Typhlosion using Eruption at max HP. Not only that, you won't be limited to one move, and you'll have 1 extra Speed.

So instead of just presenting some damage calcs, give a good reason why anyone should use Typhlosion over any other Pokemon. It brings nothing to the table. Hundreds of Pokemon can do what it does, but better. That's why it's fucking shit.
>>
>>32324063
this thing is fucking trash man hate to burst your bubble. its main stab is completely reliant on how much hp its on and considering its grounded and sr weak thats fucking terrible. also consider that eruption is literally its only niche over other better special attacking fire types which fades the instant this thing takes damage. its fucking bad leave it in the trash.
>>
>>32327716
>typhlosion
>best eruption user
you forget heatran exists
>>
>>32328706
>Jellicent
>OU viable
nice fucking meme dude
also all of the mons you listed bar Jelli awak and volc lose to special attacking pheromosa which was the most popular variant prior to its ban so nice counters
>>
>>32330311
In your example Simisear is staying in if you're relying on Focus Sash or Salac as a 'one chance to do it right' mon, and requires setup. Typhlosion is hitting hard every time it comes in, and can switch out if threatened since the opponent will likely have a revenge killer or priority prepared. Like I said before, you play it like Mega Medicham, who has the same speed tier and has no setup. THAT's how it works. Mons like these are typically called breakers, while Simisear or the Magikarp example you're thinking of is in line with sweeping as you seem to think is what the Typhlosion is expected to do.

>>32330364
Not really, it's a matter of hazard support and pivoting. And that niche is what gives it value to be recognized. You avoid putting yourself in situations where it can take damage, but even if you do, you have Specs Fire Blast as a backup so it's not a game of 'damage the Typhlosion'.
>>
>>32330370
Torkoal does it the best actually. Being a Trick Room attacker enables Instruct shenanigans from Oranguru.
>>
>>32330370
Not the guy you replied to, but I did consider Heatran, and its Speed tier is too low to really put pressure on opponents, since Typhlosion can cover the whole 239-295 range at just Modest, i.e. neutral 70 to maxed 85/neutral 95, which covers a lot of balance mons.

>>32330388
Wow you don't realize the irony. I've been complaining about that kind of shit talk the whole time. If it can do work for you in the meta, that's all the 'viability' you need to run it. Don't be a sheep, because that's what unnecessarily tightens the game toward rock-paper-scissors as it assures that the mons that could do something don't get to do something. Fini, Clef, and Toxapex don't lose to it if you invest more in SpDef, which wouldn't be such an obstacle for people if they didn't copypaste sets all the time and tried making their own teambuilding calls. And Mantine handles it just fine.
>>
>>32331119
Simisear was just an example of damage output. You were the one who mentioned it.

And revenge killing? A goddamn Typhlosion as a revenge killer? You can't be serious. There's actually hundreds of Pokemon that fit the role better. Typhlosion can only revenge kill under very specific circumstances. I listed it all before, but just to remind you, it can only do the job if the opponent is slower, doesn't have priority, doesn't resist Fire, isn't defensive, hasn't set up anything, and if there's no entry hazard or rain. And here's a surprising fact. If you play competitively, you aren't going to encounter many situations where all these conditions are met. In the current OU, the only ones it can revenge kill are the slow Steel or Grass-types, like Scizor and Bisharp. Nothing else. Do you know who else can? Pretty much every other Fire-type. And most of them can actually make use of this much better, some like Volcarona and Zard X can set up for Sweeps, leading to much better results.

And you just explained its role, which you didn't need to since this is THE only thing it can do. You didn't answer the question of why use Typhlosion over any other Pokemon. A bit of extra damage only at max HP is not worth it. Not at all.
>>
>>32330143
I'm not too sure on the particulars like if they're taking into account pre-transformation or purely post-transformation or accounting for the fact that you can not know which Greninja it is or assuming you know which it is, etc. I don't get too wrapped up in viability anyhow.

I think they said they're treating both as unique members of the species or something along those lines so they may allow for banning just Protean or just Battle Bond or both, similar to the Shadow Tag Mega Sableye suspect test. I think if just Protean goes, Battle Bond would be more manageable. At the same time, I kind of hope Battle Bond stays so people can try sets outside of the Specs set in attempts to get surprise kills, since every player will know you'd have to keep a mon alive against it and that makes things fun.
>>
>>32331324
>Simisear was just an example of damage output. You were the one who mentioned it.
What? You mentioned it first, and are you not comparing them as Fire types, especially in combination with your claim that there are better options?

>And revenge killing? A goddamn Typhlosion as a revenge killer? You can't be serious.
Ok are you high or skimming my replies or what, because I didn't call Typhlosion a revenge killer.

>I listed it all before, but just to remind you, it can only do the job if the opponent is slower, doesn't have priority, doesn't resist Fire, isn't defensive, hasn't set up anything, and if there's no entry hazard or rain.
Rain will obviously require a separate approach since it's a direct counter, but it's similar to what happens when a Mega Medicham meets a Mega Sableye -- game's not over just because of that. The other stuff is fine because it exploits balance -- you get it in on the things it can OHKO and push toward 2HKOs on the things the opponent tries to switch in to save mon count with.

>In the current OU, the only ones it can revenge kill are the slow Steel or Grass-types, like Scizor and Bisharp. Nothing else. Do you know who else can? Pretty much every other Fire-type. And most of them can actually make use of this much better, some like Volcarona and Zard X can set up for Sweeps, leading to much better results.
I'm not sure if you've been following the thread but going by your misreading I'd doubt it, but I had said Typhlosion would be better when more of the general threats were gone, since a lot of those general threats are fast mons, to open up the environment for more balance options which Typhlosion can more easily exploit. ORAS OU was highlighted as a meta it could already shine in.

And for your last question (since space), it's as I said earlier, it's a breaker. And it doesn't occupy a Mega slot. And it's a special Fire type. And its Speed tier lets it slip past most if not all of balance.
>>
>>32331473
Not the guy you've been talking to, but you raise some viable points. Granted I'm only just now getting into competitive, but I'm gonna train up a Typhlosion or two now thanks to this. I like the idea and Cyndaquil was my first starter in my first game. Aside from Eruption is there anything else it should run? I'm also assuming 252 HP and Special Attack, and 4 in Defense?
>>
>>32331473
So it's breaker that is good when generally strong Pokemon are gone and only stuff it can beat, which isn't much, is left? And as a Special Fire-type, what it has to offer over others is mediocre speed, in exchange for additional type, coverage, defenses, adaptability, synergy with other Pokemon. Okay. I misunderstood Typhlosion. It's actually really useful against Pokemon weak to Fire, when it is at full HP, which requires using it very carefully.

And no, I haven't been following this thread. Just saw your post, and being the stupid man I am, I thought it was bullshit. That Typhlosion is mediocre even among shitmons.
>>
>>32323723
Why are the Johto starters so underwhelming in general? The best one is Feraligatr who's just Gyarados 2.0. I can't believe I'm saying this but I wouldn't mind Megas for them.
>>
>>32325072
GF doesn't know what the fuck it's doing?
>>
>>32331499
Cyndaquil was mine in my first too. Eruption only takes into account the percentage of HP left, so you don't need to max it out. Do either Modest or Timid. I'm a fan of Modest because the damage output puts things in your favor to pull off a 2HKO, but Timid also has its merits since it can outrun things like max Speed non-Scarf Lele and max Speed non-Scarf Lando-T and OHKO with Eruption. Timid already OHKOs defensive Lando-T as well. Part of my lean to Modest is I expect Lele to be banned (or at least suspected) in the relatively near future, and Jolly non-Scarf Lando-T is a bit of a rarity.

Regular 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Def is good.

Eruption
Fire Blast
Focus Blast
Extrasensory/Hidden Power Ice or Electric

Extrasensory is to nail Toxapex. HP Ice is to nail bulky Dragons 4x weak to it and Electric is for like Mantine or Gyarados. Order I put the last slot moves in is order I think relevant. You could also put Toxic or Wisp in that slot even to lure in certain walls and put them on a timer/cripple them.
>>
>>32331554
In case you misunderstand me, by gone I mean banned, not fainted. There's a lot in the current OU that it threatens, since it's a Fire type after all. Consider that nearly every team uses a Steel type, and at least 40% of teams use Lando-T. Then you know you threaten /at least/ 2 mons for a good chunk of your games. Specs Eruption means typical AV mons like Magearna and Tangrowth can't try to bait it, live, and damage it considerably in return.

Volcarona, Y, and Heatran are the Special attacking Fire types in OU. Volcarona is a setup mon, Heatran is slower and has breaking more prone to missing (or is oriented defensively), and Y occupies a Mega slot.
>>
>>32331345
Once/If Greninja gets banned, the battle bond LO set wont be outclassed anymore, so it will have freedom to choose its coverage albeit weaker to the protean cousin (only on non-stabs and by a tiny margin)
>>
>>32323723
>Is this the worst starter?- 119 posts and 8 image replies shown.
Inciniroar.
>>
>>32331676
Okay, I misunderstood that part. And you're still missing the point. Yes, I'm not denying it will threaten a couple of Pokemon, but the point is, so will others. And they'll do a better job.

From top of my head, not counting any Mega Pokemon, Heatran, Volcarona, Volcanion, Delphox and Victini come to mind as better Special Fire-type Pokemon. Volcanion and Heatran are slower, but it doesn't matter. They take hits, easily, and their main STAB isn't reliant on HP. The only thing Typhlosion has over the others is extra damage at max HP from Eruption. Which isn't a big enough deal. Anything weak to Fire, you don't need Eruption to OHKO. Other moves will do fine. In exchange, they get much better coverage, which allows them to handle many more Pokemon.

The results you're going to get with Typhlosion, you'll get better others. He has almost nothing going for him.
>>
>>32331801
Volcanion is better as a Sub Leftovers set. And the speed does matter because it can let you deal with things like Bulu and Lele and Kyu-B and offensive/DD Lando-T as the big one. The Special Fire types faster than Base 100 are Simisear who requires setup, Delphox which only accounts for Garchomp part-time considering a good deal are Scarf and Sash, Pyroar that just covers 105 so really Mega Pinsir, Infernape who requires setup, and Salazzle who requires setup.

Salazzle is a nice underrated setup option. Victini is also a mon I'm in favor of to play a similar role to Typhlosion, but it's more inclined to use coverage than Specs Eruption spamming -- different kinds of breaking.

And that extra damage is a big deal when it can pull off neutral OHKOs and resisted 2HKOs, hence why my first post in this thread was one citing a damage calculator.

Compare
>252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 137-162 (45.2 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
to
>252+ SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash: 165-194 (54.4 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
>>
>>32328075
Decidueye could have been better competitively but at least its design isn't shit like fake tiger.
>>
>>32324040
Truth
>>
>>32323773
He is not that bad, he is faster than vikavolt
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.