[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't know those new characters were going to replace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 8

File: Screenshot_2017-04-12-17-50-52.png (680KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-12-17-50-52.png
680KB, 960x540px
I didn't know those new characters were going to replace Brock and Co. I'm not mad, just surprised. What's your opinion about this?
>>
>>32312458
I'm pretty sure everyone was surprised with what this upcoming movie is going to be. I did not expect Marshadow and all them non-gen 1 Pokemon to appear in it. ESPECIALLY Marshadow.

It's all very interesting, especially considering the fact since Marshadow is in this movie, there are no more mythical Pokemon left, so now we have no idea what could happen in the future.
>>
>>32312458
I think it's funny that all the Mistyfags/Shipperfags are shitting themselves because /their girl/ isn't in the movie, and honestly the lack of them makes me more curious and interested in watching the movie, whereas if it were Genwun Pandering: THE MOVIE, I'd probably pass.
>>
I WANNA BE
>>
>>32312458

I'm disappointed. What a bad way to celebrate the anniversary.

I don't even consider myself someone attached to the early gens, 4 and 5 are my favorites, but the possibility of seeing all those characters reanimated was exciting.

Nothing stopped them from bringing them back, they could give the old characters those new pokemon.

At least the designs are nice, except the rival, looks awful.
>>
>>32312458
Its not animated like sun and moon, so I wonder if it's even supposed to be tied to the current anime.

I was shocked and slightly disappointed the movie doesn't seem to feature Misty, Brock, or Gary but I guess it's possible they could make cameos. Still interested to see where this movie good though.

As far as other sun and moon movies, options would include a solgaleo/lunala movie and a cluster fuck type null/ultra beast/necrozma movie. If we're still in sun and moon for a fourth movie, Pokemon from gen 8
>>
File: FOR_THE_GIRLS_YEAH.gif (401KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
FOR_THE_GIRLS_YEAH.gif
401KB, 480x360px
>>32312458
I'm mad. Aside from wanting to see the original trio again just having Ash in his 90s clothes clashing with those two with modern designs is pretty gross aesthetically.

But in hindsight I don't know why I got my hopes up. We all know the movies are just commercials for whatever flavor of the year legendary they want to push. Fuck me.
>>
>>32312458
I haven't watched pokemon in many years. I still love the games, but I'm not sure how anyone over the age of 14 can stomach the show/movies. Is it nostalgia alone that blinds you?
>>
>>32312458
I never really had high hopes for, but I still think that's pretty dumb.

It's like they can't decide if they want to be genwunner nostalgia bait or just another advertisement for the new mythical using the regular movie formula.
>>
>>32312673
Both. Nostalgia shitters only care for Ash.
>>
>>32312781
I don't think that's the case. Brock and Misty have popular followings too.
>>
i think the new trainers are all fantastic, and i love all three. i'm not happy with their shit mascot mons but i can get over it i guess. what i am actually mad about is that this is a retelling of the original (and very sentimental/nostalgic people will be/are upset about this) but its replacing things and changing events as if this were a book-to-movie situation. i just think its sort of rude for them to cut out misty brock & gary despite their fan bases and their heavy influence in the original series.

with all that crybaby shit out of the way, im pumped as fuck for this movie and i hope they deliver something fresh like it seems to be shaping up to be
>>
>>32312781
I like Ash, and I prefer the newer generations of Pokémon.
>>
>>32312798
Mostly in the west, where every anime series past gen 3 got so little advertisement most nostalgiafags don't even know it still airs.
>>
>>32312838
So there are nostalgiafags in Japan. But they only like the original anime for Ash?
>>
>>32312781
>Nostalgia shitters only care for Charizard
FTFY
>>
>>32312660
Have you ever heard of the sunk cost fallacy?
>>
>>32312458
They don't really feel like they belong in Kanto, especially design wise with Ash being mostly the same and these two being clearly designed with modern day Pokemon principles.
>>
>>32312802
>what i am actually mad about is that this is a retelling of the original (and very sentimental/nostalgic people will be/are upset about this) but its replacing things and changing events as if this were a book-to-movie situation

It's not, though. It's retelling the events of episode 1 and using that to springboard a new story. Brock wasn't in episode 1. Misty and Gary had tiny appearances that were just there to set up their future roles in later episodes. Based on the trailer, they're keeping almost all of the episode apart from these movie-irrelevant scenes.
>>
>>32312850
Unlike your average burger retard, they're well aware that the series has kept going with new characters and new regions, so they associate the anime more with "Ash" than "Ash, Misty and Brock". Even if they haven't watched the later stuff, they know OF it from all the constant, ever-present advertisement.
>>
>>32312864
So basically, it's half a retelling of the first episode, half an average Pokemon of the Movie adventure?
>>
>>32312882
So all the modern Japanese anime Kasumi fanart and doujins doesn't come from any fans of hers over there. Because they don't exist.
>>
>>32312859
Fair enough. Good answer.
>>
>>32312914
There's a difference between liking a character and screaming that your childhood is being raped because you just discovered the character was written out 15 years ago.
And the latter happens surprisingly often in the west due to the nonexistent marketing the anime gets there.
>>
>Nostalgiafags mad because they replaced Brock, Misty and Gary
>Kiddies will be mad because when they go to see the movie they won't be seeing Alola or their favorite Alola characters and Pokemon

They managed to fuck up both main fanbases in one strike. I wonder how they'd thought this would be a good idea.
>>
>>32312936
That's like saying they fucked up their fanbase by not putting the XY gang in the SM anime.The SM series started half a year ago, there's no gigantic batch of kiddies that only know those characters and are going to get mad because they're replaced.
>>
>The only time kantopandering and genwunner pandering would be 120% justified
>They do the opposite and shoehorn other generations instead
>>
>>32312935
I'm just saying it's kind of ridiculous to assume no one in Japan would get mad at this. I'm sure there's a faction of people there who appreciate the original trio even if it's smaller then its western counterpart. But you want to tell me nope those people don't exist at all?
>>
>>32312952
Children will watch anything that has Pikachu and the other damn critters in it, though.
>>
>>32312952
SM doesn't retell the story of an old region with new side characters
>>
>>32312956
You seriously need to stop thinking in absolutes, anon. There's probably a couple spergs that are piss mad they didn't put Greninja in the movie too.
>>
>>32312969
>Nostalgia shitters only care for Ash
I don't think I'm the one thinking in absolutes.
>>
>>32312968
SM takes place between the end of Johto and Hoenn :3
>>
>>32312968
It was a response to the latter argument. There's no huge fanbase of kids that are going to be mad their favorite SM characters aren't in the movie. Those kids just saw their favorite XY characters get replaced by the SM characters half a year ago, if they're mad about any character replacements it's that.
>>
File: Drying pan.png (282KB, 504x293px) Image search: [Google]
Drying pan.png
282KB, 504x293px
>>32312458
They retconned the Donut and Drying Pan man. They retconned second best girl. They retconned Gary motherfucking Oak. My opinion? This is bullshit. Fuck whoever made these decisions. If they wanted to show a new adventure with new character, make a new fucking adventure. There's no reason to do a movie about the beginning if you aren't going to show the characters that were there in the beginning.

That said, the Lucario kid is cute and I'm happy he exists. Still fuck whoever came up with the brilliant idea of doing a movie about the beginning, but making it not about the beginning.
>>
You guys all want to see a condensed series of, I don't know, at least 100 episodes in a movie that will have 2 hours at best? Come on.

The idea behind the movie by itself is already shit. I'd rather a traditional anime movie with some actual effort this time, avoiding the actual style of the anime and finally giving Ho-Oh some highlight besides the first episode.
>>
>>32312986
You're forgetting that the first three priorities for the anime are: promoting the franchise, shilling the franchise, and trying to get kids to convince their parents to buy into the franchise's products. Secondary issues like plot, writing, storytelling or character development are basically an afterthought.
>>
>>32312986
>giving Ho-Oh some highlight besides the first episode.
That's already not happening considering Marshadow is there. Ho-oh will keep being cucked forever.
>>
>>32312976
The point is that nip nostalgiafags are going to be a hell of a lot more open to the idea that these characters that got written out ages ago are still gone than some burger that thought the show ended 16 years ago because he hasn't head about it since he stopped watching.
>>
>>32313010
Now that you've worded it that way yeah I agree with you.
>>
>>32312985
You'll get over it like the Kalos League.
>>
>>32313080
That implies I ever cared. And "you'll get over it eventually" doesn't make it any less of a shit situation for those who liked and hoped to see the original cast again.
>Oh, did someone you knew and liked get murdered? You'll get over it eventually! Let's be cheerful and not blame the murderer!
>>
>>32313109
Misty and Brock are gym leaders. At best, they'll be probably shown once Ash defeats their last pokemon or handing him the badge.
>>
>>32313109
>comparing his anime characters being retconned to murder
when's the suicide coming?
>>
>>32313212
If you played around with someone for an hour everyday, in about 4 months, you will likely grow to like them and get attached. It would be a total of 120 hours you spent with them, but spacing it out over 4 months lets you enjoy the company more comfortably. If they were suddenly replaced, it would sadden a normal person.
Now, if you had seen all the seasons with Brock in them, you have seen Brock for over 200 hours. Then he was replaced. Now, after all these years, someone comes along and says they'll take you to Brock's home, but turns out Brock doesn't live there and you meet some new faggot you give exactly zero shits about. A normal person would not be happy about it, at least.

The situation here is the same. Murder removes a person from the world. Brock was removed long ago, and now someone just came along to "replace" him and try to redo what Brock did. For no reason. This new kid might be interesting, even better than Brock, but he isn't going to replace him. Even trying to replace him is a retarded move. If they wanted new characters, get them out in a new story. Don't replace the one that already existed.
>>
>>32313366
so what you're saying is soon
>>
>>32312458
I'm ok with them changing the gen 1 companions, my problem is if they're gonna get enough development as to make me care about them.
Other than that, the movie now is a 1000 more interesting now that we know they're going for something more original.
>>
>>32313366
So that also applies to him getting replace by Tracy or the other latest companions?
>>
>>32312458
>finally a Ho-oh movie
>oh, and it's in Kanto!
>oh wait no it's Alola shilling
>not in Alola anyway
Who does this even cater to?
People that just enjoy the tears?
>>
>>32313443
Why wouldn't it? If they said they were going to show Ash's adventure in Kalos again, and just cut out Serena, Bonnie, Clemont, Shota and Alan, replaced with some new faggots no one gives a single a shit about, then no one will be happy about it.
>>
The movie could very well take place before he actually met Misty and Brock, he only has his Pikachu with him and has yet to catch any new Pokémon. I like that idea though, Brock and Misty are cool, but replacing them with new characters and including Marshadow and Ho-oh has me hyped for the movie!
>>
>>32313464
People actually want to be deluded.
>>
File: 1473860102667.png (59KB, 273x263px) Image search: [Google]
1473860102667.png
59KB, 273x263px
>>32312458
This had nothing to do with the original. This is just false advertising. Personally, I like it. I did not want to re-watch the original anime. But for what purpose is it set in Kanto? Just to make Ash inexperienced again? But he's always inexperienced. What, exactly, is the point of it being set in Kanto? Just false advertising to get the attention of people who liked the original? Is that it?

As I said before, I prefer it being a new story over seeing the same story again. But I have exactly zero expectations for it. I think it will be absolute shit if they have to rely on this sort of bait-and-switch marketing just to get people's attention. If it was actually something worth watching, they would not be setting it in Kanto for no real reason. This is nothing but a cash grab with a shit product.
>>
>>32313627
The thing is that the movie is a retelling of Ash starting his adventure. And they want to focus on just Ash. Plus, these new characters can help make it easy for children and teens to relate to.
>>
>>32312458
Are they all girls?
>>
>>32312458
And if this movie is an attempt to create a story of Ash that fits in the games canon?
>>
>>32313866
>new characters can help make it easy for children and teens to relate to
Do you actually believe that?

Let's not pussyfoot around the issue. It's pretty clear they just didn't want a man hitting on girls, as it would be too offensive by today's standards and too much for kids to handle. Might set a bad example for kids. Misty is gone because they Misty anywhere near Ash after the popularity Amour received. The ship wars started before Misty was ever even hinted to be in the movie. If they had made her appear, the autism would break the level cap. Gary couldn't be an underage driving cars and having bitches around, being an asshole and "objectifying" women. Might make a bad example for kids.

These are all stupid, but reasonable decisions. Does that mean I like them? No. I hate them. The Pokemon anime was never great. It will never be. But now, it's been reduced to being nothing but a cow they'll milk as long as they can. That's why the movie is in Kanto, because it being the 20th anniversary, Kanto would sell. Whatever decision they make, it's all based avoiding anything that could be problematic while trying to milk the cow as much as they can.
>>
>>32312458
Go back to your containment thread.
>>
>>32314241
>Do you actually believe that?
I could be wrong since though characters in the show are good, they are easy to forget about and are just bland or exist for one reason.

>It's pretty clear they just didn't want a man hitting on girls, as it would be too offensive by today's standards and too much for kids to handle.
I can get that kids couldn't handle romance, but who ever says that Misty and Ash needs to be in love?

>That's why the movie is in Kanto, because it being the 20th anniversary, Kanto would sell.
And because of the first episode appeared in 1997.
>>
>>32314241
>that entire fucking post
What the fuck

>he actually thinks they removed Brock because he was "problematic"
>despite the fact that he was in show until 6 years ago, with him also appearing 3 years ago in special episodes and some flashbacks where he again and again kept hitting on random woman
>despite the fact that XY itself had Tierno hitting on Serena every time he saw her

>he thinks Misty was removed so Amourfags wouldn't be triggered
>despite the fact that Misty and Ash's relationship had pretty much zero romantic undertones in the japanese version
>despite the fact that the anime had absolutely no problem with replacing Serena with three main girls, going as far as putting Ash in borderline harem-tier antics with them

I fucking hate dumb amerifats/yuropoors who still think Japan is being overrun by "le SJW menace" like their shitty countries.
>>
>>32314333
The hitting on girls part was clearly about Brock and his antics.

>>32314336
Well, they did remove the "boy or girl" thing. Japan has little to no SWJ bullshit. But Pokemon isn't a Japan only thing anymore. The games only started caring now, the anime was always at least trying to be careful about this. Like with how they removed Brock right after Kanto league.
>>
>>32314356
>Like with how they removed Brock right after Kanto league.
You do know they removed him for Tracy because they were worried about offending blacks in the West like Jynx?
>>
>>32314368
And you do know the offensive part about him was how he was always pretty much harassing every girl he met, right? He was a pervert. There are a lot of Japanese pervert characters, but he was one with a different skin color. They worried this might be offensive. Otherwise, just a guy with different skin isn't going to offend anyone.
>>
>>32314356
The show has been "sterilized" of anything that could be seen as overly sexualized or violent back in AG/DP. For example, we'll never again see someone with tits as big as Lorelei or someone slapping Ash in the face like Misty did in the first episode. But when it comes to innocent gags like "Brock hits on girl of the week" or "Gary has a bunch of cheerleaders for no reason", they're perfectly acceptable by the show's current standards.

Not even the anime's western viewership is as easily triggered as you seem to think. Let alone the japanese one.
>>
>>32314383
Never see it as harassment, even as a kid. Only you and maybe a few are the ones that find it offensive. And they were worried not because he's flirt, but because of his eyes.
>>
>>32314356
>replacing the boy or girl thing with a more natural "choose what photo you want to put in this document", which actually makes more sense than having a professor unable to distinguish boys from girls, is SJW pandering
I bet you think having brown people in the hawaii-based region is also work of the SJW boogeyman

Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>32314408
I was mostly referring to western audience when I said that. My basis simply being that there haven't even been many gags like that. Might not even be related, but they even dropped the crossdressing Ash gag.

>>32314415
>only you
No, I'm not. It's just the only reason I can think of to justify the changes they're making.
>>
>>32314464
Look, I can understand if you are trying to have reasons why they replace Misty and Brock, especially in the sense of morals. But even you can admit the flirtation thing is dumb since they continue it when he returned to the show and in other seasons. Maybe an interview about the movie and why said changes could be something to get the answers.
>>
>>32314497
Yes, I will admit it's dumb. Extremely dumb. I called it stupid in the very post I mentioned. But as you said, I'm just trying to make sense of it, and this is literally the only thing that kind of sort of makes sense. Otherwise, even if they wanted to make changes to the story, having well known characters like Brock would sell more tickets than literally whos. Their existence makes no sense to me. Replacing Misty with another trainer with a Water Pokemon just seems counter productive. They have to waste more time with characters, and it loses some of the shilling value the older characters have.
>>
>Brock replaces with a chuuni with a Lucario

This is pretty much worst case scenario, honestly.
>>
This seems like a poor choice if they are only going to appear in this movie. But if they are just early promotion for game characters, or will appear in the main anime I guess it's fine.
>>
>>32314518
Maybe they want to make a series of movies instead of just one, and having Ash travelling though several regions with the same anime-only OCs would be easier than replacing the main characters every movie.
>>
>>32314546
Them being game characters is highly unlikely. The design of the characters is too different from what GF uses.
>>
>>32314452
That's a nice boogeyman you got there yourself.
>>
>>32313464
The original teaser for this movie did imply that pokemon from all generations would be in it. There's only two Alola mons in the movie. Most are Kanto mons.
>>
File: 1492059565930.png (2MB, 2192x2255px) Image search: [Google]
1492059565930.png
2MB, 2192x2255px
>>32314518
>having well known characters like Brock would sell more tickets than literally whos.
To those that seen the first episode or left after Jhoto. And Brock and Misty are gym leaders and they have a job as one. I can understand if some people like you expected the movie to be a nostalgia trip, but there are others who are sick of the pandering.
>>
>>32315159
>Makoto
Basically, Misty with a nicer design. That's an improvement. Alternatively
>Literally im@s Makoto
>>
>>32315159
>there are others who are sick of the pandering
But why? Do you realize the anime almost never does anything that could be seen as "nostalgia pandering"? The last time they did something like that was back in 2013, for one or two episodes. XY itself had almost no references to past seasons AT ALL during its run.

Please don't mix up the anime with the games. This movie containing nostalgia pandering would have been not only justified, but also the natural thing to do, and they went and changed it for currently unknown reasons.
>>
>>32315159
They're already pandering by going back to Kanto. It's just weird that they'd pander that way but make new characters.
>>
>>32315319
>This movie containing nostalgia pandering would have been not only justified, but also the natural thing to do
There should be a limit when it comes to pandering to fans. The movie is most likely non-canon like the rest which could be why they are changing characters and some of the events in it.

>>32315467
Maybe because they want to add or change some elements based to the first episode.
>>
>>32315159
Do you see that they removed Brock for a guy with a lucario, it's going to be a pander fest, only of the bad kind.
>>
>>32315520
People love their Lucario.
>>
>>32315159
>To those that seen the first episode or left after Jhoto.
Which is a lot more than what these characters will bring in. These new characters will bring in exactly zero people. Because no one cares about them.

>And Brock and Misty are gym leaders and they have a job as one.
So did Cilan, Clemont, and all the SM Trail Captains. Their jobs mean nothing to this anime. This isn't even an argument.

>there are others who are sick of the pandering.
Explain further. There will be two character following Ash. There will be a rival. What makes Brock and Gary that much worse than the newer ones? I'm sick of seeing them isn't a reason. That's just your feelings, something no one will understand or care about. If there will be characters playing the same roles as older characters did, what is the point of replacing the ones that existed in favor of new one?
In case you didn't notice, this entire movie is just "pandering". If you're sick of "pandering" for whatever reason, why would you watch a movie set in Kanto, about Kanto, with Kanto Pokemon and Kanto everything.

Just to be on the clear, I think this "sick of pandering" sounds dumb. If they remove Kanto characters from a Kanto movie to cater to people like you who are "sick of pandering", they're losing more people than they're gaining. If they're making ten people happy by removing the original cast, they're upsetting another hundred. No matter the situation, pandering will get you more people than not-pandering.
>>
>>32315587
>Which is a lot more than what these characters will bring in. These new characters will bring in exactly zero people. Because no one cares about them.
That depends if those group like these characters or not once they finish watching the movie.

>So did Cilan, Clemont, and all the SM Trail Captains. Their jobs mean nothing to this anime. This isn't even an argument.
I bring that up because I doubt that if the movie have Brock and Misty follow Ash, they'll be underperforming and could end being just background or minor characters throughout it.

>Explain further.
They replace them possible as a way to make the characters and the movie interesting by adding few elements just like Serena being the new female follow that has affection for Ash in XY/XYZ seasons.

>If you're sick of "pandering" for whatever reason, why would you watch a movie set in Kanto, about Kanto, with Kanto Pokemon and Kanto everything.
Obvious that it'll be set in Kanto which is fine for me and I was mostly referring in the case of characters.

>If they're making ten people happy by removing the original cast, they're upsetting another hundred. No matter the situation, pandering will get you more people than not-pandering.
Maybe, maybe not. Pokemon pretty much will always be gear towards children and young teens. But, older fans should at least watch the movie to see if they enjoy it or not.
>>
>>32315835
>That depends if those group like these characters or not once they finish watching the movie.
You do realize we're talking about bringing people in, right? It doesn't matter what people think of them afterwards. And no matter how great they may be, which they won't be since it's Pokemon, they still won't be able to get nearly as popular as older cast, simply because they don't have the time. They only have a single movie. It's not even close to being enough to make a character popular. See any movie only character if you want evidence.

>I doubt that if the movie have Brock and Misty follow Ash
>I doubt
Really now?

>They replace them possible as a way to make the characters and the movie interesting by adding few elements
Then my original questions comes back. Why even bother with Kanto, then? Just make a new movie. You'll easily be able to add in new elements to make it interesting, and no one would complain. What is the point of setting it in Kanto and to show what happened in Kanto, but not actually showing that.

>I was mostly referring in the case of characters.
And my question was why does the characters matter to you if the setting doesn't. The entire premise of this movie is to pander to older fans, and they're not even doing that right.

>Maybe, maybe not.
Anon, there really is no "maybe not" here. If you actually think removing the originals has made more people happy because "fuck pandering!!!!", then you're just being a tiny bit delusional.

>Pokemon pretty much will always be gear towards children and young teens.
And those are not the ones who are going to buy the tickets. Pokemon is aimed at children, but the audience is not children. I don't know if you've ever seen a Pokemon movie in theater before, but the next time you do, look around and see how many kids are there compared to teens and adults. You WILL be surprised.

>we want to make a movie about Kanto, but don't want to pander Kanto fans
This sounds just dumb. Nothing more. Dumb.
>>
>>32315587
>These new characters will bring in exactly zero people. Because no one cares about them.
They're voiced by stunt cast celebrities that were cast in those roles specifically because people DO care about them.

Chekkumeito.
>>
>>32315835
>That depends if those group like these characters or not once they finish watching the movie.
That still doesn't change the fact that these characters alone won't bring anyone to the theaters to watch the movie.

Most kids watching the movie will be doing it to see Pokémon in the big screen or to watch the beginning of Ash's journey, so they won't care about who he's travelling with. But by replacing Brock, Misty and Gary with characters no one currently cares about, TPC/OLM/whoever is in charge of this is not losing some of those older fans who would watch the movie simply to see the OS characters again.

Of course it would make sense to put these new kids there if they're revealed to appear in the main anime or in a new game in the next months, but for now the decision to replace half of the original cast with OCs doesn't bring any benefits, and could actually make them LOSE a considerable number of potential moviegoers.
>>
>>32315896
>TPC/OLM/whoever is in charge of this is not losing some of those older fans
*IS losing some of the older fans, I mean
>>
>>32315895
I literally fap to the voice of Takahiro Sakurai, and even I don't watch all the shows he appears in. And I can watch all of them for free. The fans of those celebrities might be happy, but I honestly doubt anyone is going to buy a ticket simply to hear their voice.
>>
>>32315910
That's literally the point of stunt casting. Burger movies do it all the time too.
>>
>>32315917
Acting and voice acting are not the same. Seeing someone you like and/or find hot preform a character in a good way is a lot different from just hearing the voices.
>>
>>32315910
Japan is really really obsessed with celebrities and the concept of "guest voice actors" has been a thing forever. It not only builds interest in the movie for their fans, but the movie gets TONS of publicity from these celebrities doing interviews in magazines, on TV and on radio talking about it and their role in it. It's extremely lucrative.
>>
>>32315924
You should tell Japan they're doing it wrong, then. I'm sure they'll appreciate your expertice.
>>
>>32314241
>It's pretty clear they just didn't want a man hitting on girls, as it would be too offensive by today's standards and too much for kids to handle. Might set a bad example for kids. Misty is gone because they Misty anywhere near Ash after the popularity Amour received. The ship wars started before Misty was ever even hinted to be in the movie. If they had made her appear, the autism would break the level cap. Gary couldn't be an underage driving cars and having bitches around, being an asshole and "objectifying" women.

Do you seriously fucking think the japs give a shit about any of that?
>>
>>32315895
The girl voicing Makoto is not even that popular. If anything the old man voicing grandpa Red is a better guest VA than her.
>>
>>32315929
Japan is kind of obsessive about these things. More so than the west, at the very least. I still don't believe that a voice actor alone is going to sell tickets. No matter how obsessed the fans might be, they aren't going to buy EVERYTHING even those celebrities' voices appear in. I have never seen anything that indicates the voices alone have made any real impact on sales before.
>>
File: 1488638750280.jpg (162KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
1488638750280.jpg
162KB, 675x900px
>remove Brock
>add lucariofaggotry
How can any of you defend this travesty?
>>
By this logic, no anime with popular voice actors is ever going to fail. It might not be critically acclaimed, but the fans are obsessed enough to buy everything the actors might appear in. Tomokazu Sugita has over a million Twitter follower. And that's just a portion of his fanbase. Just the more loyal fans. Even among those fans, if we're to assume that even 5% are obsessed ones, then by this logic, everything he appears in is going to sell at least 50k items by his name alone. That is a bit ridiculous.
>>
>>32315974
>dogfag
>hates dogmon
??????
>>
>>32315974
Why does he hate lucario?
I'm pretty shur lucario has done nothing wrong.
>>
>>32316001
>lucario
>dogmon
Nah, dude. Lucario is basically just a guy in a fursuit.
>>
>>32315970
They might not go "HOLY SHIT X IS IN THIS MOVIE MUST SEE NOW", but they can certainly watch talkshows where X is a guest and decide to go see the movie because X talked about it and made it sound interesting. Celebrity approval is DEFINITELY a thing in the west.
>>
>>32315998
These aren't "popular voice actors", they're actual, genuine celebrities even your grandpa has heard about.
>>
>>32315998
Takahiro Sakurai and Tomokazu Sugita aren't celebrities, you retard. Nobody except anime nerds know who they are.
>>
>>32316058
>>32316064
And? This is anime. In this field, among this audience, Sugita is a lot bigger than any actor would be.
>>
>>32316069
It's a theatrical blockbuster cartoon that casts ACTUAL famous people that your average nip knows who is in order to drum up publicity for it, you colossal fucknut. Robin Williams tier people, not "dudes that are famous as far as voice actors go.
>>
>Pokémon GO made most western normies remember Pokémon existed
>many of those normies are huge nostalgiafags and only remember the franchise because of the anime
>make a movie based on the beginning of the anime
>have the chance to put a Pokémon movie in western theaters for the first since since 2011 and get some shekels from the '90s kids and their children
>nevermind, better replace half of the original cast with OCs donut steel
>>
>>32316029
Very true. Doesn't even have a canine jaw.
>>
>>32316089
How big do you think these faggots actually are? No, really, just how big? Because they're not nearly as popular as you are making them out to be. Your argument is that popular names that have been around the anime industry for decades and have millions of follower are less relevant to anime than some actor, who has only appeared in less than a dozen of them, half of which failed. This isn't even an argument.
>>
Brock and Misty were a clever way to introduce kids slowly to the games, sense they represented early significant NPC encounters in Kanto.

I'm not sure what they are doing here, but I'm starting to rreally doubt this is leading up to a Kanto remake.
>>
>>32316089
Yeah, that sure helped movies like Doogal perform well.
>>
>>32316089
Anon, calm down. Souji's VA, Kanata Hongo, hardly ever does voice work. If he was that much of a magnet that would attract viewers by just his name, he would get a lot more roles. That's basically how these things work. Since his debut as a VA in 2012, he's appeared only 2 shows, only one of them being extra with barely two lines. That doesn't really make him seem popular as a VA.
>>
>>32312598
This pretty much
>>
>>32316188
No, he's popular as a person. Half the celebrities they've cast in these movies haven't EVER done voice acting before. They're cast because of who thy are, not because they're skilled actors.
>>
>>32316231
That was not the point I was making, anon. The point was that if his name alone is going to bring in money, more people who cast him in their anime movies. The fact that Pokemon, of all things, is the first anime movie to cast him doesn't really make it seem like he matters that much. If he did, there's no reason why others wouldn't cast him.
>>
>>32316248
Are you legitimately retarded? They cast a couple celebrities normal people have heard or in order to have their names sell tickets. Whether they've been cast in anime before isn't relevant. There's a hell of a lot more famous celebrities out there than there are anime movies.
>>
>>32316248
That's like saying "insert Hollywood star here" has never voice acted in a Disney movie before, so their names obviously don't sell tickets." That's not how it works.
>>
>>32316248
Anon, you really don't seem to get it. These characters are voiced by celebrities. As in actual celerities people have heard of, that normal Japanese people tune in to talk shows to watch interviews with and buy magazines to read about. They're on a completely different level than random famous voice actors, because nobody except voice actor nerds care about those people in the first place.
>>
>>32315893
>They only have a single movie. It's not even close to being enough to make a character popular.
You are right on that since Ash gets the focus in movies.

>Why even bother with Kanto, then?
Movies in the Pokemon series are non-canon which is most likely why they're changing it.

>>32315893
>The entire premise of this movie is to pander to older fans
Don't blame you since the first and second trailers was hyping people of it before the third one show up.

>>32315895
>Anon, there really is no "maybe not" here. If you actually think removing the originals has made more people happy because "fuck pandering!!!!", then you're just being a tiny bit delusional.
There are some that like Misty and Brock and there are some that don't. Hard to please a group without triggering the other.

>Pokemon is aimed at children, but the audience is not children. I don't know if you've ever seen a Pokemon movie in theater before, but the next time you do, look around and see how many kids are there compared to teens and adults. You WILL be surprised.
If the movie is getting dubbed and appearing in theatres in the West, I'll watch it to see who are there.

>This sounds just dumb. Nothing more. Dumb.
The fact they include other pokemons in the movie that ain't Gen 1 or not having elements based around some of the episodes in the OS?

>>32315896
>Of course it would make sense to put these new kids there if they're revealed to appear in the main anime or in a new game in the next months
Is that some prediction you came up?
>>
>>32316272
But he has been cast in anime before. He got 4 roles in 4 years, half of which had him almost not do anything of not and you would probably miss him. It's more of an observation than anything. If casting someone is going to help you sell better, you would logically cast them more often. If there is something wrong with this observation, do point it out. If someone is going to do good work or help sell the product, they will be used more often, given more important roles. So why would he only get two irrelevant roles with no dialogue and one main role in four years after his debut?
>>
>>32316294
Yes, anon. I'm not denying their popularity. I'm just questioning how effective just casting an actor as a VA would be, while looking at his previous work, most of which was minor stuff that didn't matter.
>>
>>32316349
Those other movies cast other celerities, then. Movies have budgets and celebrites are not cheap to cast.

Also, his name is still on the poster and he's still doing interviews advertising the movie to Bob Normalfag even if he just has three lines in it.
>>
So this movie is non-canon right? I mean it wouldn't make sense to have Ash meet all these different gen pokemon in Kanto and then go on to forget about all of them later in each region.
>>
>>32316375
I'm not going to doubt that they cast others. That makes sense. They would. My question was more on this one actor in particular. Why are others chosen over him? One of the likely reason could is that he just doesn't work as well for advertising purposes. That he doesn't sell as well as others. Of course, it could just be that the actor didn't want to. But then there's the fact that he did still continues to do voice work, just not much, and half of those roles had almost no lines. Maybe he didn't want big work? Who knows.

It's just speculation. There's no way to know for sure. Personally, I'm leaning more toward it not mattering much. The audience he's trying to appeal and the work he's doing is too different from his usual work. When I like an actor, I like them for their acting and looks. You don't get to see either if they do voice work. If some actor I love voiced a random character in a MLP movie, I'm not going to bother with it.

Of course, this is how I think. If the Japanese are crazy enough to pay for anything regardless of the subject matter, I wouldn't know. I'm often told Japan isn't too different, but who knows for sure.
>>
>>32312976
Only a sith deals in absolutes
>>
>>32316029
That should make you like it more, though. Dogfags are all furries-
>>32316116
Oh here's the problem. You're looking for "feral." Bestiality. So more of a Lycanroc Day thing than Lucario.
>>
>>32312495
necrozma, obviously
>>
I don't like the fact that Ho-oh got cucked yet again in having a movie.
>>
>>32317200
What are you talking about? This IS Ho-oh's movie. Marshadow it's an extra.
>>
>>32318585
>Marshadow is an extra
(You)
>>
>>32312458
>caring about the ashnime
>>
File: worse than ghetsis.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
worse than ghetsis.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>32312458
Butthurt/10 ultimate betrayal
I wish I could say I was kidding
>>
>>32316452
They don't just cast celebrity actors, it's celerities in general. Movie actors, stage actors, singers, comedians, models... fuck, even athletes. It's done because they want that particular name associated with the movie and that particular person to advertise it in media.
>>
>>32312458
I personally think that it makes sense to retcon some stuff.

Back then they just had 151 pokemon and the anime and the game were different.

In this case I'm guessing they're trying to be more consistent so they're keeping brock and Misty as gym leaders and giving Ash new companions/rivals.

Also people are allowed to have other pokemon because we're no longer limited to just 151.
>>
The only thing I like about this movie so far is "Mezase Pokémon Master"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHzI6_D4Tg
>>
Is this the movie where Ash finally wakes up from his coma after the spearow attack and this time, for real, embarks on his adventure with real companions instead of manifestations of his mind?
>>
>>32312458
I am MAD
They removed absolutely everything that made it good
>>
>>32315974
shut the fuck up what are you, a filthy racist?
I bet you're just a dumb stupid retarded fascist racist I'm reporting you to the fbi for hatespeech!
>>
Retconning the origin story is fine at this point. But did they have to use the original opening theme? That really implies they are trying to invoke the early show... and they obviously aren't doing tthat, getting rid of even Gary.
>>
>>32323080
The marketing has always pushed it as them adapting the origin story. Episode 1.
Gary only appears in episode 1 to set up shit that happens later. Misty only appears in episode 1 to set up shit that happens later. Hell, they might even leave that stuff in the movie for all you know.
>>
>>32323091
>Gary only appears in episode 1 to set up shit that happens later.
Not really. He's pretty much a running gag to piss ash off till Mewtwo trashes him. His purpose in the first episode is to paint Ash as an underdog character. They pretty much forgot to make him a major element in the show in the end though.
>>
>>32316772
>Implying Necrozma won't be in this movie too
>When they paired him with Ho-Oh on the booster packs
>The Prism Pokemon and the Rainbow Pokemon
>>
>>32323109
Sure. But he's in the episode specifically because they had future plans for him. It doesn't make that much sense to have him appear in the movie for a few minutes at the start to mock Ash, then fuck of and never be mentioned again.

I mean, they MIGHT have him do that. But it also makes sense to just cut that bit entirely, since he'll most likely play no further role in the movie and that scene was never meant to be a standalone scene featuring just some random dickwad.
>>
>>32323109
>>32323124
It's clear that they're somehow planning to adapt the entire Kanto arc, not just the beginning, as shown with Ash catching all his Kanto Pokemon. Gary has plenty of time to appear and act as the rival.

This makes me agree with the anon saying the entire premise is flawed. That remaking this is just pointless. This really has nothing to do with the original anymore. It's just a whole new thing, pretending to be the original for no reason. As it is, its neither here nor there.
>>
>>32323173
Yeah, they're going to adapt the entire Kanto arc PLUS an all new story about Ho-oh, all in 90 minutes.
Come on, anon, it's pretty clear that after they're done readapting episode 1, they're going to summarize the rest of Kanto in less than 10 minutes and then move on to the Ho-oh shit.
>>
>>32323173
The smart money says something different:
>first part of the movie is a retelling of the first episode
>then, a quick montage of gym battles and else in-between
>finally, the last part deals with Ash's adventure with Marshadow
>>
>>32323202
>it's pretty clear that after they're done readapting episode 1
So the first 20 minutes, then. That's assuming its 20 minutes. Considering they cut out Gary and Misty, that's not even 20 minutes.

>>32323207
That's why I'm calling it neither here nor there. They're wasting time with an unnecessary recap that has nothing to do with anything. And that recap isn't even a recap. It's kind of a recap, but kind of new as well. They're bringing down the overall quality, the time the rest of the things have, for no reason.
>>
>expect special style art and gen1 story
>new friends
>new pokemon
>old art style but slightly tweeked

I wont see it
>>
I'm not surprised. I knew from the fact Ash's hat had a different logo and Ho-Oh was being given more attention that things were going to be different, plus Pokémon movies always have new characters so having them as his companions makes perfect sense.
>>
>>32312458
I don't give a hot gay fuck, but Brock and Misty vacationing to not-Hawaii would be a fun couple episodes on the anime.
>>
>>32312598
The chipette on LSD is many things but nice ain't one of them.
>>
Why do people even care about Gary? He wasn't even that important to the original series. People just remember him because of Garyposting and his game counterpart.
>>
File: Cute Piplup.jpg (7KB, 162x181px) Image search: [Google]
Cute Piplup.jpg
7KB, 162x181px
>>32312458
I don't think anyone can ever replace Brock and Mi- Is that a Piplup? ... Sorry Misty, maybe next time!
>>
Probably the only people upset about this are the same exact Misty fans/Pokeshippers who have been whining about her being "replaced" for 15 years since May was introduced back when AG started.
>>
>>32312985
Honestly I'm more curious why they didn't go for the "original" four. Ash, Gary, and the other two trainers we never got to see who picked the remaining two starters. This way they'd still get to do their OCs while also elaborate on another one of the old unanswered questions of the early animu.
>>
>>32312458
Gym trainers should've never followed him in the first place. It's retarded.
>>
>>32323202
>Yeah, they're going to adapt the entire Kanto arc PLUS an all new story about Ho-oh, all in 90 minutes.

What if it's a remake trilogy to avoid ever having to make a true SM movie?
>>
>muh Brock
>muh Gary
They most likely appear in their respective gyms. Chill.
>>
Tumblr was in an uproar about this, it was pretty funny to watch.
>>
>>32327971
Explain further
>>
>>32324673
That's an incredibly broad assumption. This is something likely to turn away anyone who was expecting Kanto nostalgia. Misty shippers only make up a small vocal minority of genwunners.
>>
>>32312458
I'm actually a little bit worried, dont get me wrong i dont have anything against the new characters, but now that we've seen marshadow, piplup and incineroar, for me what started as an interesting re-telling of OS now it feels like a cheap advertising for the upcoming DP remakes.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.