[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Mimikyu objectively far more popular than any other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: mimikk.png (92KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mimikk.png
92KB, 500x500px
Why is Mimikyu objectively far more popular than any other Pikachu imitator?
>>
>>32300359
because being a pikachu imitator is literally his thing
>>
Because it is actually a completely different pokemon, both competitively and in personality, to pikachu in spite of literally imitating it in universe.
>>
>>32300359
>because so forever alone but still cute shit, but I already know this
>>
>>32300359
I want to hug it as it cries in my arms
>>
>>32300359
Beacuse it's not Pikaclone. It's mimic. The fact it's quite strong helps
>>
>>32300359
because it doesn't suck
>>
>>32300359
he is NOT a Pikachu imitator.
>>
Is there only one?
>>
>>32300359
Because it's actually nothing like Pikachu. Not even in appearance.
>>
>actually good in battle (take note gamefreak you fucks)
>unique typing and is part ghost, one of the most loved types
>relatable
>clever spin on the usual pikaclone thing
>>
Because it's actually good in battle and people are suckers for shitty sob stories.
>>
>>32300359
>actually competitively viable
it gives pokemon a foothold in popularity
there are what, 800 or 900 of them at this point?
it's a lot easier to remember which one exists when you actually regularly use it/battle it
>>
File: mimikyu.png (327KB, 1024x1153px) Image search: [Google]
mimikyu.png
327KB, 1024x1153px
Good in battle. Cool ability(reverse sturdy). Equal parts cool and adorable design.
>>
>>32300793
>reverse sturdy

so it's always OHKO'd by every attack?

Yes, I'm an asshole. The description you were looking for is either automatic Protect or automatic Substitute and neither of those is 100% accurate anyway.
>>
>>32300800
you're half right, you ARE an asshole.
>>
>>32300805
Point the mistake in the other part then.
>>
>>32300808
status
>>
>>32300826

"neither of those is 100% accurate anyway"

Since we're at it, the Sub one isn't 100% right because sound moves. Next.
>>
>>32300868
Mold Breaker
>>
File: mimikyu2.jpg (57KB, 834x959px) Image search: [Google]
mimikyu2.jpg
57KB, 834x959px
>>32300868
wait, what's going on here? My point is that it's ability is cool. and "reverse sturdy" isn't too much strain on the brain? Do you just have nothing better to do?
>>
>>32300888
wasted
>>
He's literally a pika-clone, but has his own place in the competitive scene and a sympathetic backstory.
>>
>>32300888
Nobody says it isn't cool. I just don't see how it is reverse sturdy so I put what (according to me at least) would be a better way to word it.

>>32300878
>This guy just said that the two aren't the same! Pointing out differences will sure prove him wrong!
>>
>>32300793
>>32300888
The problem is how you described it. "Reverse Sturdy". The thing is, it isn't the "Reverse" of Sturdy". I think you meant to say a Sturdy that works at any amount of HP, but that is not the reverse of Sturdy.

To begin with, it isn't anything like Sturdy. If your Pokemon is at full HP, Sturdy allows it to withstand a hit. You'll still take damage, and if your Pokemon didn't have max HP, Sturdy would not activate.
Disguise cancels the damage from one hit. You take no damage from a single hit. It doesn't matter what HP you are on, you will take a hit. There's no similarities between the two abilities.

One allows you to keep 1 HP if your Pokemon had max HP when taking the hit, the other allows you to cancel damage. There's no connection.
>>
>>32301018
Oh my. I'm not writing a book on the ability, you know. I just wanted to somewhat describe it in as few words possible without ranting on like the last ten or whatever posts. This thread could've been nice.
>>
>>32301048
>I just wanted to somewhat describe it in as few words possible
Then learn how what words mean first.

>Free Sub
There, was that hard? Fucking retard.
>>
>>32301048
You described it wrong, an anon corrected you. What you wanted is irrelevant. Your description and refusal to admit the mistake you made was what started this.
If I were to say that Blaze is Sunny Day, that would be wrong. Both ultimately cause Fire-type moves to power up, but are completely different things. This situation is same as that.

>This thread could've been nice
How so? The thread was made to ask a question, and that question was answered long before you posted. This thread was over.
>>
>>32301062
>>32301072
wasn't corrected, it's not a free sub
>>
>>32301079
Yes, it is Disguise, not a Substitute. You could've avoided the whole thing calling it that. But if you are going to insist on drawing a connection of it with an older move/ability, Substitute is the closest and most fitting. It's not 100% the same as Substitute, but that's the closest thing to it. A whole lot more fitting than calling it Sturdy.
>>
>>32301086
i insisted on nothing. and don't really mind what you want to call it. props for contributing to the thread though. nothing like proving this toxic community gets worse as time goes by. nice goin friendo
>>
>>32301018
Okay then, so it's not a reverse of sturdy, it's an inverse of sturdy.

Like, if the base is "hammer hits a window, window breaks" and reverse is "window hits a hammer, hammer breaks", this is "hammer hits a window, hammer breaks".

...Or "window hits a hammer, window breaks".

Sturdy allows one to be hit at full health by an OHKO move and survive. Disguise allows one to be hit at full health (including Disguise as "health") by any move and not take any damage at all (not including Disguise as "health").
>>
File: mimikyu and pikachu.jpg (329KB, 1171x772px) Image search: [Google]
mimikyu and pikachu.jpg
329KB, 1171x772px
>>32301147
this guy gets it
>>
>>32301147
>Disguise allows one to be hit at full health
disguise has nothing to do with being at full health
you can take residual dmg and disguise can still trigger
>>
File: now here's the question.jpg (16KB, 428x281px) Image search: [Google]
now here's the question.jpg
16KB, 428x281px
>>32301168
...Okay, care to step me through what you mean by that?
>>
>>32301184
Thought it was pretty clear. If you take damage from weather or entry hazards, Disguise will not trigger. Mimikyu will lose health, but his Disguise will still be active. Therefore he does not have to be at full health for Disguise to activate.
>>
>>32301207
...Huh. Well, that's new to me.

...I fail to see how that invalidates my point, however.
>>
>>32301213
>Sturdy allows one to be hit at full health by an OHKO move and survive. Disguise allows one to be hit at full health (including Disguise as "health") by any move and not take any damage at all (not including Disguise as "health").
because that was the basis for your comparison to Sturdy
>>
>>32301220
Let me distill the comparison, then.

"Sturdy allows me to get hit by a move that would've killed me and survive. Disguise allows me to get hit by a move that would've killed me and survive."
>>
File: thatsapaddlin.jpg (10KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
thatsapaddlin.jpg
10KB, 224x225px
Let's try this again. If we agree the two abilities don't work the same way, inverse or otherwise (Sturdy and Disguise) we can at least agree that they are used the same way. Golem with sturdy for example, can stay in against an opponent and attempt to set up knowing it will still be around next turn. Mimikyu can do the same, the difference being whilst Golem has minimum HP, Mimikyu has "potentially" maximum. (burn, poison, weather etc...)
>>
File: Differences.png (18KB, 601x424px) Image search: [Google]
Differences.png
18KB, 601x424px
>>32301147
I wouldn't call it even that, personally. The effects of both ability are completely different. "Inverse" still implies they are opposite of each other. They aren't.

By your window analogy, Sturdy is: hitting the window with hammer would allow a single piece of glass to remain intact, but the rest of the window would break. This only applies IF the window was completely new. Even a single crack or scratch would make this ability useless. And this only comes into play if the hammer was going to OHKO the window. It doesn't cancel damage, only saves again OHKO, only at full HP.

Disguise just makes the hammer not hit once. No matter how you swing it, it will not damage the window at all. Doesn't matter the previous damage the window had from Stealth Rock or status effects. The hammer simply cannot damage.
>>
I'm not saying that the 2 abilities aren't slightly similar. But the only parallel you can really draw is that they both make the pokemon impossible to OHKO without negating the ability.
>>
>>32301241
Let me cut it down to the point I was making.
>Disguise: Pokemon takes no damage, Pokemon doesn't faint. Hammer hits window, window breaks.
>Sturdy: Pokemon loses almost all damage, Pokemon doesn't faint. Window hits hammer, window breaks.

Honestly it isn't even an "inversion", it's just "half-opposite, half the same"
>>
>>32301257
You're still saying they're opposite. The effects of the ability aren't opposite. The best way to put it would be that they share the result. They both cause a Pokemon to survive a single turn. Other than that, they're not even remotely connected, not even by being "opposite". Their activation method, timing, effect, everything is completely different.

Let's just cut the chase. I'll simply ask. What part is "opposite"?
>>
>>32301268
i said that here
>>32301235
sturdy survives with minHP
disguise survives with maxHP
>>
>>32301280
But Disguise doesn't have anything to do with HP. Pokemon could be at 1% HP and it'll still survive. Max HP implies it only works at max HP. that's not true.

Damage Mimikyu with Status moves like Toxic, abilities like Rough Skin, or entry Hazards, get the HP down to 1%, and hit it with a move. It'll still survive.
>>
>>32301286
then read this>>32301235
you know, where i said more words to get my point across better and mentioned status and the like.
>>
because it's actually unique. Unlike pachirisu and dedenne that has SHIT abilities and are like any SHIT basic unevolving pokemon. Like audino. Less actually.
>>
File: BITCH WHAT.png (770KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
BITCH WHAT.png
770KB, 1000x680px
>>32301293
Filename
>>
>>32301235
>Golem with sturdy for example, can stay in against an opponent and attempt to set up knowing it will still be around next turn

Only if there is no other damage. Burn, Poison, Weather condition, entry hazard, moves that hit twice, abilities like Rough Skin or Flame Body, and pretty much anything that can damage will fuck it all up for Golem, as it won't survive a single hit.

>Mimikyu
None of that. It'll take a hit. That's it. Nothing else.

>>32301292
There, corrected that post.
>>
File: whut.jpg (367KB, 895x1080px) Image search: [Google]
whut.jpg
367KB, 895x1080px
>>32301316
can you Engrish? Like, at all?
>>
>>32300359
Because it's actually creative this time, instead of just being a rodent with electric powers.
>>
File: IMG_3433.jpg (41KB, 299x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3433.jpg
41KB, 299x378px
>this much autism over one anon's word choice
holy shit does /vp/ have this little to talk about whenever leaks aren't on the horizon?
>>
>>32300359
Good design that stands out from the crowd of pika sameface rats, shilled heavily, bretty decent competitively, unique, non-electric typing.
>>
>>32301536
All they did was explain the ability was not at all the same as Sturdy. Is that considered autism now? What isn't autism, being wrong?
>>
>>32300359
mimikyu is the best because its cute and creepy and actually an original design. honestly i wouldn't even count it in the same ranks as the other imitation pikachus since they're just 'which rodent have we not electrified yet', while mimikyu is a totally different concept that also works on a meta level due to pikachu's popularity both in universe and out.
>>
>>32301109
You're literally baiting the exact same conversation with the exact same outcome again and then calling people toxic because they pointed out flaws in your reasoning. "nice goin friendo" indeed.
>>
>>32301554
>dragging on for ten posts when it could have just been offhandedly corrected in one
>NOT autism
sure

Don't try to drag me into one of these discussions
>>
>>32301356
It's a pikaclone in a meta sense instead of literally.
>>
>>32301635
>when it could have just been offhandedly corrected in one
Well apparently it couldn't be handled in one, could it? The guy was either too proud or too stupid to admit he was wrong.
>>
>>32301635
Anon, it was corrected in one post. The other anon just kept on repeating the same thing, trying to damage control for some reason, instead of recognizing it and being done with it.
>>
>>32301079
Its not inverse sturdy either you dense fuck.

God you're both retarded.
>>
>having a huge argument instead of just saying "Its kinda like sturdy"
>>
>>32300727
>creepy bootleg Pikachu is viable
>the real thing isn't, not even Alolan Raichu is
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.