[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else here thinks she's totally overrated and boring?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7

File: 148507986296033.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
148507986296033.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
Who else here thinks she's totally overrated and boring? She made me fall asleep and was totally unmemorable.
>>
File: Jigglypuff_Sing.png (1MB, 1174x881px) Image search: [Google]
Jigglypuff_Sing.png
1MB, 1174x881px
I feel the same way about pic related.
>>
>>32292229
I agree, she was bland as fuck aside from a few snarky jokes at times and her crying once or twice. Only scene I ever remember was her splitting that ribbon with Ash.

Rest of her character? Generic, boring, superficial. Even Iris had more personality.
>>
>>32292278
i thought she was funny though, and iris was annoying as shit and not funny

i agree on the rest though
>>
>>32292229
Change it to Dawn and you can continue this thread. She was literally just a knock off May after all.
>>
>>32292265
I'm the faggot that made the thread, and I have no idea what you're even talking about, unless you mean the dude from the Battle Frontier?
>>
>>32292229
I'd hit dat booty, but AG was such a slog desu especially once they changed the voice actors
>>
>>32292265
Nobody except you cares about this "Scott". People can and will talk about May and older seasons here, get over it.
>>
>>32292329
Ignore it
it's a meme we all wish would go away
>>
>>32292405
>implying that wasn't him
>>
>>32292407
He's real, but that post actually kind of reeks of him trying to do damage control. He's done that before.
>>
>>32292405
Not the same anon but Scott is a huge assclown who won't fuck off from this board no matter how annoying he gets. Prolly a legit aspie who can't help but spend his every waking moment spamming about the Pokemon anime.

Anyhow I liked May overall but my issue is she never really stood out that much. She was an okay battle, a pretty decent coordinator, had a pretty decent personality, but she didn't have any defining traits. I kind of agree w OP that she does feel a bit plain and doesn't have much in the way of defining traits
>>
>>32292432
Such a shame KAORI had to retire, otherwise we could have seen May again during XY/Z.
Sex god Steven isn't such a bad consolation prize though.
>>
File: 63a.png (244KB, 467x318px) Image search: [Google]
63a.png
244KB, 467x318px
>>32292456
>nips and their VAutism
shit cost me seeing OR/AS May in the anime and I want to fucking punch something
>>
>>32292229
me anon, i think may a shit overall
>>
>>32292229
yeah, she an entry level waifu
boring brown hair, boring hair style, boring unattractive tomboy personality
i imagine the people who jerk it to her are just predisposed to it because babby's first waifu was appealing to them when they watched the english dub of AG as kids, and the sexual attraction just persisted through the years
>>
>>32292609
This.

Thank god I never watched Dawn and Serena in the dub by the way, lord knows how they ruined them
>>
>>32292380
The entire Pokemon dub was been dreadful since they change the voice actors, really, it's pretty much gone to shit under TPCi. BF was the point of no return.
>>
>>32292677
it was always shit anon
the removal of the VA that had you nostalgia goggled just made you realize
>>
>>32292609
AG's English dub is only watchable/tolerable during Hoenn and some earlier episodes of Battle Frontier: TPCi pretty much does a bad job with the last 47 episodes of Battle Frontier, and it's just a constant downhill slide from them for the dub.

>>32292671
The DP dub is total shit, but Dawn is probably the only decent dub voice of the main cast all saga (still has a raspy tone at times).

XY dub is even worse than the already really bad DP dub though, not one voice is tolerable, so Serena sounds like some housewife in her 30s line reading.
>>
>>32292688
Not really- the voice acting was legitimately better before TPCi taking over than it has been since then, dub wise. That's in addition to the script being noticeably less shit, the intros being longer, and less of the Japanese music being changed into UFO and elevator music like the crap we have now.

TPCi's dub is abominable.
>>
>>32292229
I think she's okay- not outstanding, but nothing offensive, either.

Serena matches this more to me than anyone, though.
>>
>>32292229
If you're talking anime wise, I though she was alright. Had some funny And serious moments. I was a pretty big contestshipper back in the day. Thought her rivalry with Drew was cute.

May in general though isn't really my thing. She's pretty and got that girl next door vibe and all but there's just a lot better Hoenn girls to choose from
>>
>>32292501
vautism is total relatable

example: actors like arnold schwarzenegger got 6+ different people that dubbed him here in germany over the years - that's really annoying
isn't ONE voice enough?
>>
>Implying Animay is the only Ash sidekick that is unmemorable
The Ashime is Trashime, OP.
>Awful voice acting
>Terrible animation
>Boring characters
>Filler episodes out the ass
>Unlikable Main Character that is in a cycle of "win the 8 badges, challenge the Pokemon League, lose, abandon friends to go to the next region, rinse and repeat"
As much as I think the Pokemon Adventures manga is just glorified fanfiction, it's still more entertaining than this shit.
>>
>>32293660
>but there's just a lot better Hoenn girls to choose from
Meh, not really. Just Roxanne and Winona tbqh. Flannery is overrated. She reminds me too much of Frankie from Foster's Home.
>>
flannery > courtney > shelly > roxanne > winonna >>>>>>>>>>>> may
>>
>>32293707
>And even Roxanne and Winona might not be better than her, is what I meant. Just that they're her competition.
>>
>>32292694
>the voice acting was legitimately better before
Sonic Unleashed is better than Sonic Boom. That doesn't mean Sonic Unleashed is good. The anime voice actors even in the first arc were below average AT BEST.
>>
>>32293707
Overrated doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. It just means that her fans give her a higher opinion than deserved. Not a bad thing, just means that her fans love them. Which is fine imo.

Phoebe and Courtney are my go to picks when it comes to Hoenn girls
>>
>>32292229
She's an objectively better version of Dawn, so take that as you will.
>>
>>32292229
I was tired of misty, anyway.
>>
>>32293723
The anime voice actors in the first Arc are unanimously considered the best voice actors in the franchise's history by the majority of fans, so no, they were rather above average talent.
>>
>>32293788
And both May & Dawn are objectively better than Serena who fans just want to be their waifu and have eat their seminal fluid.
>>
File: IMG_7901.jpg (89KB, 800x560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7901.jpg
89KB, 800x560px
>>32292229
*bbrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaappppppp*
>>
>>>/padt/
>>
>>32294401
I like this meme
>>
>>32292229
>>32292278
>>32292380
>>32292609
>>32292671
t. Mad mistycuck
>>
I never cared for May. She was boring.
>>
>>32294965
She's all right. She just needed more of a story. After she figured out she wanted to be a coordinator in like episode 10 or whatever (can't remember exactly which one now), her development dropped to a total snail's pace for 180 more episodes.
>>
>>32294965
Why was she boring? I honestly think some of you must not have watched any episodes with her in a long time, because all her focus eps or ones she played a decent sizes role in she was always funny and entertaining.

>>32295001
May was consistently developed all throughout Hoenn. Her story was about her and her rivals and how she went from being insecure/meek and knowing nothing about pokemon to a more competent battler and toughter trainer. You can see the difference between May and Drew in their first interactions in the last.
>>
>>32295030
Oh, well look who just showed up. Welcome to the party jackass, you're late.
>>
>>32293688

meanwhile France has Daniel Baretta and Japan has Tessho Genda as Arnie's voices.
>>
Also I don't grasp how anyone can say this about May and find any of the other female companions that much more interesting, besides Dawn I guess. I mean you guys were ok with Misty getting stuck with Togepi, Serena doing nothing for the first year of XY, or Iris and the SM girls largely just being there...yet May is somehow boring in comparison?

They literally did more with May than any of the other females, again besides Dawn. Her personality also changes and develops and isn't just there to be girly or whatever.
>>
>>32295030
That's bullshit. She wasn't developed throughout Hoenn. Her character stagnated after a few months into the series and the stuff with Drew was standard rival shit with a never completed "romance" subplot. It's obvious you just project your headcanons onto what is the most vanilla, static girl in the anime.

>>32295057
So you have no defense but to deflect and evade and say other girls were worse. That's absolutely pathetic. You have literally no argument so you admit the other anons here are right. You are a total buffoon.
>>
File: 1480905873973.png (137KB, 683x769px) Image search: [Google]
1480905873973.png
137KB, 683x769px
>>32295057
>>32295030
Someone sure is triggered.
>>
>>32295083
I'm flat out explaining to you what happened. If you look through the AG episode list she got a number of episodes close together that focused on developed her character or her pokemon. Even before the Contests got underway there was the whole rivalry she developed with Jessie and their Wurmples, where we saw the sides of May's snarky and competitive personality. On top of that she got the usual episodes showing her as an older sister looking after Max, the episodes where she argued and was competitive with Ash or Drew, learning to love pokemon like her Skitty or Bulbasaur, etc.

And this is all outside of the Contest eps where most of her development took place in. Look at how meek/skittish she is in the early Contests to how much more collected/calm/focused she is in the ones during late Hoenn or Battle Frontier.

Also, I only mentioned the other girls as a reference to how much more focused on May is. I mean I like most of the other girls too, but I don't understand how people can claim a character who got all this focus and attention compared to the others is somehow stagnant or boring,etc.
>>
Both May and Dawn had the best relationships with others in their circuit. In May's case specifically, her developing relationships with Drew and Harley were done pretty well.
>>
>>32295119
You haven't explained shit. All you did was outline basic personality traits. She has a brother that she cares for, oh my god that's so shocking! She sometimes gets snarky, that's absolutely incredible!

Her development in the rest of AG was unremarkable and dragged out. She was almost the same character as at the start. Once again you keep projecting your own fantasies on to her to cover up her blatant flaws as a character and you keep proving how desperate you are by citing personality traits by themselves are development.
>>
File: 1365187717387.png (419KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1365187717387.png
419KB, 640x480px
>>32295147
I was once a Mayfag too. Sadly, I have to agree with a lot of this, even though it does come off as contrarian.
>>
>>32295147
Dude, what on earth? Everyone who watched AG knows May's personality changes throughout the series. She acts completely differently around late Hoenn and Battle Frontier than she did in early Hoenn. Her interactions with her rivals (and Ash) also changes over the course of the series

And as I said, we see more general aspects of May's personality throughout all her episodes. She starts off carefree and generally nice, but she also has a temper and blows up if people push her, (she argues bickers with all 4 boys in AG, Ash, Max and her rivals), she is sarcastic and sometimes arrogant, but she's also clumsy/ditzy/silly...and those aspects of her generally diminish as AG progresses.

May also had an adventerous personality where she would pretend to be a reporter or go off on her own to explore. Then as I said, May being an older sister was part of her character too, whether you cared about Max or not. They focused on all sides of May.
>>
>>32295083
I mean, personally speaking I liked the Drew stuff, even though he was your generic "annoying, overly cocky asshole" at times. At least they both grew stronger by playing off each other and grew a mutual respect for each other.

But you're right, it ended on a totally anticlimactic note after their final battle in BF.
>>
>>32295200
>She acts completely differently around late Hoenn and Battle Frontier than she did in early Hoenn. Her interactions with her rivals (and Ash) also changes over the course of the series

Now you're just making shit up, Scott.
>>
>>32295203
Their rivalry ended with May catching up to Drew and barely scraping a win, but then realizing she had to battle more like a coordinator if she ever hoped to fully surpass him entirely. Even ignoring the shipping aspects, May and Drew gained mutual respect for one another.
>>
>>32295206
You sound to me you don't remember AG at all, I've watched through the season a number of times, moreso than any other saga besides the original Kanto.

Watch a May episode from Battle Frontier and compare it to one from early/mid Hoenn. Look at the ep in Battle Frontier with the breeding center, the one May gets her Eevee egg from. The filler girl in that ep wants to be a coordinator, and May explains to her how she didn't like pokemon and grew into being a trainer, and everything you have to do to get into it in a calm and mature tone.

The early Hoenn May would have likely made up crap (since as we know, early May how no idea what she was doing), and would have said all wrong stuff.
>>
>>32295200
Why do you still keep acting like personality traits are development? Are you this intellectually vacuous and this desperate to save face that you're unable to look yourself in the mirror and admit you're wrong?

The fact that those traits diminished had nothing to do with any sort of development causing it. Aside from her becoming a bit closer with Max, most of these other things were forgotten about and lazily swept under the rug. That's not development, it's bad writing.
>>
>>32293690
>official product that actually tries to do something
>fanfiction in any way

How should a pokemon narrative product be in order to not be "glorified fanfiction" then.
>>
>>32295237
So are you seriously saying the May from the first 30ish episodes of Hoenn would have been able to do the things or interact with her rivals the same way as the one from late AG? I explained her personality traits because those are what essentially grew and changed about her. She grew from being meek, insecure and ditzy/clumsy to more mature, headstrong and learning how to interact with others without blowing up.

I mean as I said, how is this different than any other female companion? Are you seriously going to tell me most of them had bigger changes than May did? You almost sound like you have some bizarre double standards against May for some reason, like if she grows and changes you don't consider it development. Just curious then, who do you consider more developed than May?
>>
>>32295227
The fact that you cite that random moment from that episode shows how laughable and devoid of substance your whole argument is. If the best you can do is mention a character telling a COTD "don't worry, it'll be okay, I started out from scratch and made it here now!" then you really are out of arguments. You're so delusional, it's actually funny. At least cite something involving the Egg she got.
>>
>>32295269
>still deflecting
>b-but other girls weren't any better!
>i-it's your double standards!
>here, i'll just rattle off my dumb headcanon and the list of personality traits again that already got debunked earlier!!
Totally laughable. I almost pity you but you're even more pathetic than I thought.
>>
>>32295297
>>32295275
Dude, are you seriously just doing this just because it's me? I just made like 5 different posts explaining why May developed, as I said I'm only bringing up the other girls as a reference point.

What about the episode May tried to protect her Bulbasaur in the ep all the rampaging grass pokemon were attacking her? What about the Wynaut episode where May saved Drew from drowning and didn't take credit for saving his life? What about the Swablu episode where she nurses and injured pokemon back to health for the first time?

What about the various tag battle eps she had with Ash where they had a battle of the sexes argument in, "The Bicker, The Better," or the episode she and Meowth time traveled in Battle Frontier, the ones where she defending the Munchlax she captured from a bunch of children. There was also the Numel farm episode where she learned to take care of others and have a backbone.

And this is outside of the Contest eps, where a lot of her development came form her interactions with her rivals, and not just talking about Drew/Harley, but all those one-shot rivals from Hoenn.
>>
>>32295206
He doesn't care. He's living in his own universe.
>>
>>32295454
Saying a character developed and giving examples of various episodes where this happened and talking about personality traits presented in the canon anime is, "living in my own universe?"

I haven't said a single thing that didn't happen in the actual episodes. Not making up headcanons or fanfiction or whatever, I'm using the events of the episodes...like anyone would do when describing a character.

I assume most of you actually watched AG, so I find it bizarre you don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>32292229

I'm convinced she's only liked by hoennbabbies
>>
>>32295473
May's entire fanbase came from people who started watching with Kanto, nice try though. Literally ask any May fan when they started watching the anime, they'll all tell you the original series.
>>
>>32295327
>just because it's me?
Who the fuck is "me"? Are you this hilariously self-absorbed that you think you can dismiss any criticism towards your pathetic trash heap of an argument like that?

Your continuing insistence on building laundry lists of random traits and events without making any argument about how they all fit together and represent meaningful development is a sight to behold. You've completely deluded yourself into an autistic sense of complacency over how you think people apparently view May, and it clearly shows.
>>
>>32295490
Dude, stop the ridiculous ad hominem nonsense. I've been explaining why all her personality traits changed and grew throughout the various episodes that focused on her.

There's a literal reason she's considered to be one of the most development main characters in the anime by the majority of the pokemon fans, on virtually every pokemon related forum I've ever been on over the last 15 years.

If you don't want to take my points, then fine, go read what others have to say about May. There are huge followings for May and her Contests related characters on all various forums, social media sites, or the sheer mass of fanart for the anime incarnation of her character with Drew/Harley people have been making the last 15 years.
>>
>>32295473
Still better than Serena, Lana, Mallow, and Lillie though.
>>
>>32295514
Not the same anon, but no offense, "dude," I don't think you really have any right to be accusing someone else of making an "ad hominem" argument.
>>
>>32295490
>Your continuing insistence on building laundry lists of random traits and events without making any argument about how they all fit together and represent meaningful development is a sight to behold.
This. Well articulated, but I don't know if you know which person you were arguing with the whole time, he's a specialist at doing what you just said.
>>
>>32295518

Wrong. She's only better than Iris.
>>
>>32295591
Nonsense. All the episodes build up on one another, and if you watch the eps in order, you'll notice continued development.
>>
>>32295600
I hope this is bait. May quickly became more popular than Misty over a decade ago, and aside from Dawn, is still more developed and focused on than all the others. I liked Serena too, but the writers didn't give her as much focus in the first year, and her goal wasn't that interesting.
>>
>>32295600
>Iris
Even Iris had more development, desu. It's just that outside her development episodes, she was an obnoxious bitch who let her 15-second running gag overshadow her other qualities.

Iris is my least favorite girl, but in some ways she DOES get unfairly criticized, that being one of them.

May had one of my favorite personalities of any girl, but there's little denying to me that the storywriting and development of her character needed to be better executed. Same holds for Serena, who I liked a lot for her development but whose story pacing wasn't well executed as we saw with her first year.

To this day I still think Dawn has the best combination of those things, and even then, she's not 100% innocent of those flaws either. But she's my favorite girl overall.
>>
I'm willing to bet most people here haven't watched AG in years. Do you guys even remember the episodes, or at least all the May-centered episodes?

The writers made 15 Contests and two Grand Festivals in AG, most of these eps were also 2-parters. On top of that she had 7 pokemon and all the episodes that focused on her captures/evo's of new pokemon. Then there's the episodes she shared spotlight with Ash, starred in a filler episode, the role she had in the Max episodes as a big sister, or the eps she interacted with Drew outside the Contest eps.

It's like you guys are saying all these episodes don't exist.
>>
>>32295631
Oh come on, Dawn was the same at the beginning and the end of DP
>>
>>32295647
Not really. That's just a meme. She DOES come off as somewhat flat to others especially from a personality-only standpoint, and that aspect of her doesn't change, so I see where people are coming from when they say that.
>>
>>32295644
Nobody's saying the episodes don't exist. What they're saying is that those episodes in and of themselves don't constitute development so much as they constitute events, which is an accurate statement. Saying "X event happened, so did Y mostly unrelated event, so did Z event" isn't an argument, it's just making a list and saying "this happened, therefore it's development." You kinda need to sharpen up on your debating skills.

I know who he is, so other anons, including whichever sperg was arguing with him, spare me the "replying to XXXXX" shit.
>>
>>32292229
She was cute and funny, caught some good Pokemon. Otherwise I didn't really see the appeal. Better than Misty and Iris at least.
>>
>>32295795
Is this a new meme? "Didn't see the appeal?"
>>
>>32295804
What?
>>
>>32292229
she's very average, i prefer dawn and serena
>>
>>32292229
thats serena
>>
File: 1477203969261.png (356KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477203969261.png
356KB, 640x480px
>>32292229
She's pretty much just Serena without the constant shipping.
>>
>>32297045
>without the constant shipping
>he says this of a girl who was shipped with Shuu a lot late in the series
Actually, Serena is May plus actual development but minus the snark.
>>
>>32297083
>actually development
a haircut is "development"?
>>
>>32297101
>le haircut
Nice meme, go talk to yourself about it in your containment thread: >>32295331
>>
May is the normie of the pokegirls
>>
>>32297127
go back to your containment thread faggot >>32290520

if anyone fits the overrated and boring opinion OP asks, it's her.
>>
>>32297167
That's not him, it's just some shitposter, or some idiot who unironically thinks the haircut = Serena's development.
>>
>>32297150
Not a bad analogy, though that's also not necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>32297045
May's actual personality isn't anything like Serena's though. The similarities of them learning from Ash and not knowing what they wanted to do was the only way they were alike. I honestly think some of you don't even remember what May's personality was even like.

May was far more aggressive, had a temper, was sarcastic and snarky, had an outgoing personality where she liked to travel and pretend to be a reporter, and of course was a lot more in battling.
>>
>>32297225
How else do you describe the personality of a Pokemon anime character? Pretty much any main character in the show can be described by a few basic traits, and everyone knows this.
>>
>>32297234
he's just a shitposter
>>
May was a whiny cunt for the first few episodes of AG, but she quickly leveled off for the rest of the season. Her "development" is overrated, once she got into coordinating she remained pretty static.

Then again, that pretty much sums up everyone in this show. It's hard to keep an entire cast lively and developing all the time in a 200 episode season consisting mostly of filler.
>>
>>32297253
Eh, Misty was the worst offender overall. May is somewhat better, but all the other main girls had more development than those two, with Serena probably having the most.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.