[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell are Gligar and Gliscor Ground-type? I would understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 472Gliscor.png (135KB, 431x431px) Image search: [Google]
472Gliscor.png
135KB, 431x431px
How the hell are Gligar and Gliscor Ground-type? I would understand the Poison/Flying or Bug/Flying, or even Dark/Flying but Ground why?

>Only ground-type move it learns by level is freaking Sand Attack
>Outside that it only gets Earthquake as TM and Sand Tomb as breeding move
>Meanwhile it learns a lot of Dark moves by level, a lot of Bug moves by level too, and a lot of Poison moves by breeding moves,
>>
>>32285811

They're scorpions, and scorpions live in the desert
>>
>>32285811
They live in cliffs.
>>
File: 1859-Martinique.web.jpg (271KB, 804x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1859-Martinique.web.jpg
271KB, 804x1200px
>>32285811
>>
File: 250px-452Drapion.png (42KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-452Drapion.png
42KB, 250x250px
>>32285817
>>
>>32285811
Because Johto was a mistake.
>>
>>32285811
>>32285822
It builds its nest on a steep cliff.
Also nice dubs.
>>
>>32285811
Why does gliscor have boobs?
>>
>>32285838
Facepalm. Gliscor is gen 4 ya dingus.
>>
>>32285811
Seems to be inspired by chimera creature things, like a Gargoyle. And scorpions, which hides commonly under rocks and dirt.
>>
I guess because scorpions are associated with the desert and burrow into the ground? That's the only thing I can think of.
>>
>>32285811
Probably the same reason Jellicent eventually became Water/Ghost and Stunfisk became Electric/Ground

Each generation has some weird type quotas to fill and they noticed Johto is lacking in Ground types, so instead of creating more Ground types they took an existing design (Gligar), slaped Ground onto it and called it a day
>>
>>32285822

I don't think cliff as reason. I mean, there are some other Pokemon which live in cliff and aren't Ground-types (Machoke, Absol).

Fun thing is Gliscor got Sand Veil while Flygon or Krookodile didn't get any sand ability
>>
>>32285811
Crobat and Drapion came out in the same gens Gligar and Gliscor
GF probably didn't want a second Poison/Flying bat or Poison or Dark or Bug scorpion released at the same time
>>
>>32285928
>Drapion came out during Gen II
>>
gligar's name derives from glide and gargoyle, so it has some relation to winged rock statues

otherwise, scorpions like to live in sand, which is what ground types are usually based around. just so happens that this one glides so it got a flying type instead of bug, dark, or poison.
>>
>>32285855
Keep in mind gligar is gen 2, so maybe they were talking about that
>>
>>32285928
That anon forgot to add respectively, but what they meant was crobat-gligar on gen 2, drapion-gliscor on gen 4.

What's up with the reading comprehension in this thread goddamn

Anyways, >>32285928 this didn't stop them from having 2 grass/ghost types in 2 consecutive gens or 2 dark/poison types in the same gen, now did it?
>>
>>32285811
desu it doesn't matter, senpai
>>
Like...I'm all for consistency, but Pokemon has literally never been "All Pokemon like this must be <x type>". Yeah gen 1 had a lot of Rock/Grounds and Grass/Poisons but that was just the first wave, experimenting with shit. If literally every vaguely bat-looking thing is Poison type, or if literally everything with wings even if they don't use them is Flying type, or if literally all legendaries are Psychic type, it loses the entire point of introducing exciting new designs.
>>
File: 1463939088445.jpg (441KB, 1084x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1463939088445.jpg
441KB, 1084x1200px
>>32285853
to attract human mates
it's a gen 4 pokemon after all
>>
>>32286258
Skuntank isn't a scorpion, and Grass/Ghost types vary between trees, pumpkins, owls and anchors. They are distinct and have seperate identities despite the typing because they are not all based on the same thing.
Gligar and Gliscor run into a problem when other poisonous bats and poisonous scorpions are being introduced in the same generations they are being introduced in as well.
>>
>>32286750
this, it's just like why eelektross and stunfisk aren't water types, some variability and oddities on each type are always nice to have. It'd be so boring otherwise
>>
>>32285811
Because Ground is almost as poorly defined as a type as Fairy.

Some of them are ground because they live in deserts, others because they burrow, others I guess because their skin is like armor, like Nidoking I guess? Others are literally made from earth, like Claydol and Pallossand, and the last few are just pokemon who really like mud, like Whiscash and Mudbray

None of those categories includes Gligar so I guess I don't have an answer for you
>>
File: 1479953160120.jpg (27KB, 712x706px) Image search: [Google]
1479953160120.jpg
27KB, 712x706px
>>32286781
>Type-Greninja's Gliscor pics
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.